Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 10:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Stoped at my BL and they had new (to this store anyways) $4 dvd. Imax and Smithsonian single dvd.
Old 08-20-09, 02:08 AM

I was in the Danville store after work, and they had the new Sony/Universal/Artisan $3 display out as well. There were a couple each of the Dark Crystal CE box and the Romper Stomper 2-disc SE.

There was also a 4-sided MGM display - possibly the same one Johnny Zhivago mentioned a couple pages ago, although I can't recall any of the titles except Undertow.

Very few box sets remaining - mostly Mill Creek. No Hanna-Barbera. Still a couple West Wing S2s and Tracey Takes On S1s, and one each of The War at Home S1 and...wait for it...Joey S1! I returned an OC S2, so I guess it's there now, too. Hurry!

Last edited by Snooples; 08-27-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by musicvault59
Again, What am I missing. No one has explained how this type of business is "screwing" anybody. If you had a business and could do the same thing because you're able to obtain something BELOW WHOLESALE, you're telling me that you woudn't do it? Is there something illegal with what that store is doing? How is it even hoarding if their customers feel they're getting a good deal? How is that store cutting their own throats and getting one over on their customers? Is that store supposed to tell their customers that "oh by the way, you can get this item cheaper at Big Lots or some other store"? C'mon now, who are you trying to kid? Name one business that operates that way. You can't because there are none. Furthermore, for you to say that you would NOT shop at any store that does that is hard to believe. If that store had what you wanted at what you thought was a good price, you wouldn't purchase said item at that store? Who are you kidding? You're only kidding yourself and you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. I also don't understand how this particular store is turning away customers.

I'm amazed that some people think just because someone might be a retailer that they are not entitled to the same thing as you are. If retailers don't put limits on things then what is the problem? All this bashing over measly DVD's is pretty pathetic. Sure there were DVD's that I couldn't find at Big Lots, but that's the breaks. Like I said earlier, stuff like this sure brings out the worst in some people. Sheesh.
I think your perception of the retail market is quite off. If you think anything but good customer service and loyalty is keeping many small businesses in business then I suggest you join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Do you honestly think I can't find anything a small shop has to offer online for an equal or cheaper price?

As to whether I have quit shopping somewhere that was being unethical? Yes, many times. Coincidentally, one of the more recent examples just shut it's doors. Of course it wasn't all because of me but like I said, how many customers can a specialty shop turn away?

There was another place that specialized in dvd's and vhs and they over charged as many people they could as quickly as they could and now? Closed.

It reminds me of a comic book convention I went to a while back. Hellboy the movie was the big draw that year and the Dark Horse booth had free Hellboy swag, including t-shirts. I was helping a dealer so I was in the show before it opened and as a courtesy to those that would be stuck at their booths Dark Horse set some of the stuff out before the show opened.

I got one for myself and went back to tell my buddy if he wanted one where he could find them. He didn't get one because one of the other dealers not only took what was on the counter, he grabbed the two boxes that were meant for the fans. But they were free, so he didn't do anything wrong, right? There was no sign that read "1 per person".

And in the spirit of retail of which you speak, he put one out at a time throughout the show for the low, low price of $20. You'd do the same wouldn't you? It's just good business.
Old 08-20-09, 08:11 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by moklerman
I think your perception of the retail market is quite off. If you think anything but good customer service and loyalty is keeping many small businesses in business then I suggest you join the rest of us in the 21st century. I NEVER disagreed so please tell me where I do.

Do you honestly think I can't find anything a small shop has to offer online for an equal or cheaper price? [B][B]I NEVER said you couldn't find something cheaper online. I ONLY referred to Brick and Mortar stores.

As to whether I have quit shopping somewhere that was being unethical? Yes, many times. Coincidentally, one of the more recent examples just shut it's doors. Of course it wasn't all because of me but like I said, how many customers can a specialty shop turn away? [B]How is that shop turning away customers? Please explain that one.

There was another place that specialized in dvd's and vhs and they over charged as many people they could as quickly as they could and now? Closed. If a store is HIGH PRICED, then they probably will close. But again, if a store price on said item(s) is NOT anywhere near the HIGHEST price in town at any other Brick and Mortar store, what is wrong????
Obviously there's different views here but the fact is that what that business is doing is NOT selling something for the HIGEST price in town. In fact, in the past week I stopped at a Best Buy and a few other stores and there isn't a single one of these sets anywhere so............if that store is charging $15 per set when SAM'S club (who carries the Flintstones sets) is charging more than $25, I'd say at $15 that's still a good deal. How can anyone say it's not? I guess we all agree to disagree and that's what makes the world go round, especially on this subject.

Last edited by musicvault59; 08-20-09 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-20-09, 09:45 AM

just got back from my local BL (NC, 54/55). looks like they got restocked. Pretty much the same bunch, but no box sets (well, 1 copy of Joey, Dukes and maybe one other).

I did see a few ones that I never saw before- replacement killers, black mask 2, Miracles (Jackie Chan).

No HB sets, which is what I was really looking for.
Old 08-20-09, 10:45 AM

If these dvd box sets were meant to be destroyed, NONE of us should have gotten these deals. What that store did by buying these to resell was not wrong. They were the ones being wronged by the jerks who sold these to Big Lots instead of destroying them like they were paid to do. They hurt many legitimate businesses that were already selling these box sets by driving down their value.

Once Big Lots bought the dvds, it was theirs to do as they saw fit. If they want to sell with no limits and let other resellers buy them all up, it is their decision. You have no moral or legal rights to these dvds as a customer.
Old 08-20-09, 11:42 AM

Went to the Huber Heights, OH store curious to see the aftermath of the last big wave of the $3.00 Hanna-Barbera and $3.00/$6.00 TV season sets. Saw 1 copy of Josie and the Pusscats complete collection for $3.00. No other Hanna-Barbera to be found, as I expected. They had a large batch of Flitstones season 1 unsealed last time I was there and they were gone, long gone I assume. Saw a couple copies of Dallas season 7, Knots Landing Season 1, Night Court season 1, all priced at $6.00 each. Saw a bunch of copies still remaining of "War at Home" season 1 for $3.00 each. I bought a copy a while back as it was recommended by several DVDtalkers in a previous Big Lots thread. I've seen the first couple shows and it is quite funny and I agree, it is a deal for a measly $3.00 for sure, thanks DVDtalkers!
Old 08-20-09, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this has been addressed in any of the BL threads but if this company that sold to BL was selling stuff WB intended to have detroyed, was it all TV season sets? I wouldn't think so which means they also probably had movie boxed sets which BL may have purchased to sell at a later date like around Christmas season. I can see BL holding back of some of their purchases - you wouldn't put everything out at once but you might sell all your tv seasons first and then sell the movie boxed sets later. So there may indeed be more to come.
Old 08-20-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 30smovies
I don't think this has been addressed in any of the BL threads but if this company that sold to BL was selling stuff WB intended to have detroyed, was it all TV season sets? I wouldn't think so which means they also probably had movie boxed sets which BL may have purchased to sell at a later date like around Christmas season. I can see BL holding back of some of their purchases - you wouldn't put everything out at once but you might sell all your tv seasons first and then sell the movie boxed sets later. So there may indeed be more to come.
IF that was the case, I don't think they'd be able to sell them. I'm sure the warehouse had to send back any of the inventory that's part of the law suit. I'd be surprised if they didn't...
Old 08-20-09, 06:39 PM

Beverly, NJ got a restock. Picked up for $3 each:

The Black Stallion (though I feel kinda dirty for not waiting for the Blu-Ray :/)
Jungle Fever
Thelma & Louise
The Dark Crystal SE (floater + scratched, but a test rip went through fine)
Raising Cain

Also saw:

Mystic Pizza
Immediate Family
When Harry Met Sally
Nine Months
God, the Devil, and Bob
Melinda and Melinda
Life or Something Like It
Bad Boys II
The Frighteners
Bottom of the barrel Seagal/Van Damme, with holo covers
New(?) Goosebumps DVDs
New(?) anime DVDs
Old 08-20-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I have it on good authority that there will be a 4 for $10 dvd sale on Sunday 9/6. No idea on titles.
Old 08-20-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also been told no new dvd's at one of the nearby stores to me for next week.
Old 08-20-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I have it on good authority that there will be a 4 for $10 dvd sale on Sunday 9/6. No idea on titles.
Or that Wednesday depending on location?

Could be to move the $3 movie restock that is now showing up... Wouldn't surprise me since the stock, for the most part, was already on the floor prior to the box set ads. Personally, I didn't see much worth grabbing from this round (that I didn't grab the last time). But, I'm sure I would probably find 4 for the hell of it.

Turfland in Lexington has a massive restock of the $3 movies... Maybe 8 or so of those cardboard flats. Mostly the same as the Eastland location (Sony/Universal/Artisan/Fox). I did snag a copy of The Devil's Backbone though since it wasn't in the mix at the other store.

Also stopped back by Eastland to grab Romper Stomper for a friend... They moved the DVD rack to the very front of the store and busted the pallet up there to fill it. The cardboard MGM display is gone and mixed in... DVDs sell well.
Old 08-20-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another restock at my store in Oregon yesterday. Even though it looked picked over, there were lots more animated sets, HB, Animaniacs, Pinky & Brain, tons of Scooby-Doo stuff. A big box of Scooby-Doo movies. Lots of Friends, ER, and other sets. They were going out the door quickly.

Also, there's was some new movies --
Kansas City (Altman)
Sea Inside
Shine (w/Target sticker)
Hidden (snapper)
Lost Souls
Overnight Delivery
Mother Night
King Kong (original, 1-disc remaster)
and a bunch of others.

I was very happy to see The Hidden, Overnight Delivery, and Altman's Kansas City.
Old 08-21-09, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Has it actually been confirmed that the boxed sets that are showing up at Big Lots are the ones Warner claims were sold off instead of destroyed? Or is everyone just speculating?
Old 08-21-09, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My take based on reading the articles that have been posted here is that while they MAY be the stolen dvd's we are speculating; but that is an uninformed opinion.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 08-21-09 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Goffstown yesterday:

New Fox/Universal assortment that has already been reported, highlights included at least 3 copies of each of these:
Romper Stomper (OOP SE)
American Gangster (2-Disc)
Dark Crystal (Collector's Edition Box)

I also returned this stuff yesterday too, they put it right on top of the new assortment boxes:
Nip/Tuck S4 (BD)
Tom & Jerry Double Feature (Hijinks and Shrieks/Blast Off To Mars)
Dastardly & Muttley
Wacky Races
Lois & Clark S1
Appleseed Ex Machina
Old 08-21-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to the Raynham MA. store and picked up Made For Each Other ~ Carole Lombard, James Stewart $3.
They also had
When Harry Met Sally
Thelma & Louise
Bangor Sisters
Old 08-21-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weird... Or I'm out of the loop. Take your pick.

I had to be in Georgetown (KY) tonight so I stopped at the BL there. Long story short, my copy of the theatrical cut of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was glitching. So, I found two copies there and figured shit, for $3 just replace it. I picked up The Best of Eastwood version with the new cover art and assumed it was a reprint since the specs on the back were identical to the older release.

But it is the extended cut, which I already own... Grrr. Just finished spinning it, didn't check it for extras but it may just be disc one of the CE. No clue here that MGM even released it that way.
Old 08-22-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The store that told me they weren't getting anything made a mistake. They got the same restock others are mentioning, other then no Dark Crystal SE & no King Kong.
Old 08-22-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by deet
Beverly, NJ got a restock. Picked up for $3 each:

The Black Stallion (though I feel kinda dirty for not waiting for the Blu-Ray :/)
Jungle Fever
Thelma & Louise
The Dark Crystal SE (floater + scratched, but a test rip went through fine)
Raising Cain

Also saw:

Mystic Pizza
Immediate Family
When Harry Met Sally
Nine Months
God, the Devil, and Bob
Melinda and Melinda
Life or Something Like It
Bad Boys II
The Frighteners
Bottom of the barrel Seagal/Van Damme, with holo covers
New(?) Goosebumps DVDs
New(?) anime DVDs
Do you remember which Goosebumps DVD's?
Old 08-22-09, 11:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Picked up for $3 each:

The Craft/Wild Things (Double Feature)
The Dentist/Leprechaun: Back 2 The Hood (Double Feature)
Bad Boys II
Two Brothers
8 Mile
The Replacement Killers (Special Edition)
Not Another Teen Movie (Urated Extended Director's Cut)
Ray
Old 08-22-09, 11:39 AM
Cool New Member

Just picked up Basket Case 3! Which is indeed a Very Wild Cult Flick!!
Anyone see Terror Train which is a Fox DVD?? Thanks ja2008
Old 08-22-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
My take based on reading the articles that have been posted here is that while they MAY be the stolen dvd's we are speculating; but that is an uninformed opinion.
Especially the fact that Amazon (NOT Marketplace but Amazon itself) and ColumbiaHouse and .... and ... are all selling those same sets for much less than MSRP.... not quite BigLots price but still pretty low for the sets... Can't imagine that this company that sold and not destroyed the discs also sold to all those stores as well...
Old 08-22-09, 02:08 PM
Cool New Member

The Big Lots in Pelham, Alabama either got a shipment or they've been holding out. Tons of ER, Friends, Hanna Barbera, Dallas, Super Bowl sets, Thundercats, Pinky and the Brain, Justice League... no $10 sets or Tales From The Crypt, though.

Saw all of this today...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.