Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Pizza
Low price Blu's have already landed. I picked up Smallville 7 (and I think people reported 6) for $6 and Justice League for $3. There was one or two other ones, maybe O.C. and something else.
Not many people found the Justice League.... Would have loved to have found that for $3....
Old 08-11-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I THINK 1/2P is bringing the boxes in at wholesale rather then buying from folks off the street. Of course, they may also be doing some of both.
Old 08-11-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b2net
Not many people found the Justice League.... Would have loved to have found that for $3....
I gave up and bought it on Amazon Marketplace for $12. I didn't think that was too bad...
Old 08-11-09, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing new except I got Reel Talken 1st Films by Legendary Directors and Sam Kinson Unleashed.
Old 08-11-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I gave up and bought it on Amazon Marketplace for $12. I didn't think that was too bad...
$12 before or after shipping?
Old 08-11-09, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drak b
Sacketts, The: Complete Miniseries [1979] - $3

Anybody else see copies of The Sacketts for $3?
Old 08-11-09, 08:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by U2Cowboy
Stopped in a Half-Price Books today just to check some things out. They had many of the BL sets and prices near the listed ones at Amazon. Ex: $60-plus for the Wonder Woman complete series; $20-plus for each Flintstones season. Wonder how much people got for these?
I sold a couple of Flintstones to Half Price after I lost my BL receipt and couldn't return them. I only got $5 each so not even double the BL purchase price.
Old 08-11-09, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Anybody else see copies of The Sacketts for $3?
Yep i did. I saw it the day they put it out. They had 3-5 copies and i almost picked it up but at the last minute decided against it. It also came with a booklet with a list of the Greatest Westerns.
Old 08-11-09, 09:31 PM
Banned

I grabbed a couple more Mill Creek sets for $6 each:

TV Westerns (57 episodic shows)
John Wayne (w/20 early films and a John Ford documentary)
Old 08-11-09, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Yep i did. I saw it the day they put it out. They had 3-5 copies and i almost picked it up but at the last minute decided against it. It also came with a booklet with a list of the Greatest Westerns.
I too, saw that a week or so ago at the Huber Heights, OH store. I think there was only 1 copy but it stuck in my mind because it had a giant "Sam's Club" sticker on it.
Old 08-11-09, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bobwil54
Nothing new except I got Reel Talken 1st Films by Legendary Directors and Sam Kinson Unleashed.
that sam kinison disc is pretty awesome, both of his hbo specials plus bonus features
Old 08-11-09, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by alltwistedup
I knew about this for awhile. It seems like a lot of people on here aren't up to speed on this and think more DVDs are going to show up, it seems this run is pretty much tapped though. and yes, I don't read this thread every day so if it has been mentioned before it probably passed me by.
there will be more dvds at big lots, just prob not deals low enough that they bring out the absolute worst in people. this box set frenzy was almost as bad as when they anounce a hurricane coming here in south florida, you see people pretty much turn into animals
Old 08-11-09, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by jgorow
there will be more dvds at big lots, just prob not deals low enough that they bring out the absolute worst in people. this box set frenzy was almost as bad as when they anounce a hurricane coming here in south florida, you see people pretty much turn into animals
Man, I'm glad I didn't get to see any of that - I was pretty lucky, most of the time I was the only one around when I was browsing at BL - heard some bummer stories though.
Old 08-11-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thetoonguy
I sold a couple of Flintstones to Half Price after I lost my BL receipt and couldn't return them. I only got $5 each so not even double the BL purchase price.
I'm surprised 1/2 P paid that much. they're known for paying 2-5 cents on the $.
Old 08-11-09, 11:48 PM

I am hoping that big lots is going to build a good on-going relationship with mill creek, maybe I can get a good deal on the newer pendulum pictures indie horror box sets that deep discount never seems to make a part of thier mill creek promotions. and mill creek also has some really good stuff coming out in the next few month, at very good prices.
Old 08-12-09, 06:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorow
One of the BL's I stopped at this weekend had a fat lady looking at DVD (they were on the end of an aisle). She had her shopping cart parked in front of them, blocking anyone else from looking. Even when I walked up and tried looking, she didn't move the shopping cart. She spent about ten minutes there, the whole time keeping the cart blocking all access (during that time my wife even tried looking, but only got a dirty look from this slob of a person).

If I'd been on the ball, I should have just grabbed six or seven discs at random, oohing and ahhing about how I'd been looking for them everywhere, and then ran off before she could see what I had.

I noticed she had an Appleseed Ex Machina in her cart, but based on what I saw afterwards, the selection had already been picked clean. Did break down and get Tsui Hark's Vampire flick, and found documentary called "Make It Funky" that a friend of mine will enjoy.

Peter
Old 08-12-09, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
is that the series? i would have loved to find that at BLs. though the BLs near me really isn't that good, most of the time they don't get a lot of whats been showing up.
Old 08-12-09, 10:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This past weekend I drove up to Burgettstown, PA from NC to attend a music festival. I mapquested all the BL's that were within a couple of miles of my driving route. I didn't hit them all, but did still took in about dozen or so between Friday and Monday.

I won't post details on individual stores since they've all pretty much blurred together in my memory...and besides, they were ALL pillaged (some just not quite as bad as others).

Over the course of the trip I did pick up a couple of Roots 30th (extremely rare in NC); a few movie titles (mostly things that I hadn't noticed might be good watching - White Countess, Being Julia, Josephine Baker Story, etc). I found one copy of 1st and Ten complete series. I saw, but left behind, one copy of the Boris Karloff Icons of Horror (priced at $15!). I saw a number of Josie & the Pussycats (the ONLY HB cartoon series spotted on the whole trip); a few odd Dukes/Dallas/Joey sets. A few Murphy Browns. Not a single Tales from the Crypt or History of Rock n Roll or Jacques Cousteau; no ER's; no Smallvilles. One store did have some Nip/Tuck S4 regular DVD sets. I picked up a few Philadelphia Story 2-discers.

I did not hit the Beckley or Bluefield, WV stores - as I recall, there's a fellow DVD Talker that frequents those locations, so I figured there wouldn't be anything worth going out of the way for.

Stores I visited included:

Princeton, WV
Charleston, WV (MacCorckle Ave)
Ravenswood, WV
Parkersburg, WV (both locations)
Marietta, OH
Cambridge, OH
Steubenville, OH
Washington, PA
Waynesburgh, PA
Morgantown, WV
Fairmont, WV
Bridgeport, WV
Mount Airy, NC

--Peter
Old 08-12-09, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Over the course of the trip I did pick up a couple of Roots 30th (extremely rare in NC);
Not so rare in western NC. The week they had the $6 box set ad, my store had about 30 copies of it.

Last edited by jsz1002; 08-12-09 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm, lookie at all the tumbleweeds blowing through here....
Old 08-12-09, 11:41 AM

Alls I have to say is that I'm glad I bought what I did when I did b/c the pickings have become very very slim. Once they started advertising the sets that was the end of good finds - I ALWAYS see people looking at the dvds when I go in anymore and that wasn't the case a few months ago.
Old 08-12-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by yellahoosh
Alls I have to say is that I'm glad I bought what I did when I did b/c the pickings have become very very slim. Once they started advertising the sets that was the end of good finds - I ALWAYS see people looking at the dvds when I go in anymore and that wasn't the case a few months ago.
A lot of people were unaware of the good deals at BL until it got posted on fatwallet, slickdeals, cheapassgamer, and other sites like that. A lot of those folks are notorius for hoarding and ebaying. Damn vultures!
Old 08-12-09, 12:35 PM
Banned

If it is indeed over, I'm happy. I got around 85 dvd/sets for my collection. Only cost me about $350.
Old 08-12-09, 01:02 PM
Cool New Member

I caved and bought Birdman and Galaxy Trio for $9.23 (total including shipping) from Amazon markteplace. I am sure the seller bought it at Big Lots.

I bought a ton of stuff for $3 at Big Lots that I wouldn't have bought if it had not been so dirt cheap. The Birdman set was the only one i missed that i was willing to cough up more than $3 for.
Old 08-12-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Proglodite
one copy of the Boris Karloff Icons of Horror (priced at $15!).
--Peter
As of last week, Oldies.com still had the Karloff for $7.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.