Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 02:50 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I caught a store with almost all the friends sets and 5 of the Wonder Woman boxes before the Ad came out. i bought 3 of the Wonder Womans (for me my sis and a friends) and all but 2 of the friends. After that I only say season 3 by itself. One of the Wonder Womans I bought even came with a free episode of Shazam on a bonus dvd, hilarious!
Old 08-19-09, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Right Wrong or Indifferent, can we keep this thread to the topic of FINDS and such.. Maybe we need a complaining thread in the stores section like we did for the DDD / DVD Planet sales...
I agree.
Old 08-19-09, 03:13 AM
Cool New Member

All in all I ended up with

Wonder Woman Complete
Friends 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Joey 1
Tales from the Crypt 2,3,4,5 had 1 need 6 and sold 7 on ebay a while back cuz it sucked!!
Flintstones 2,3,4
Lois and Clark 1-4
Adventures of superman 1-6
Birdman
Dastardly & Muttley
Space Ghost
Bam Bam & Pebbles
Wacky Races
Top Cat
New Scooby Doo Movies
Johnny Quest
Huckleberry Hound
Popeye Vol 1
Looney tunes Spotlight 2
Animaniacs vol.1
Pinky and the Brain vols.1,2
Thundercats season 1 vol.1&2, season 2 volume 2
Dukes of Hazzard season 6
War at Home
veronica Mars season 2
Blade series
six feet under season 3

WOW, so that's where all my money went, lol.

Not during this sale but not to long ago from Big Lots I also Got for $3 a piece:

Lucky Louie series
the Comeback complete series (Lisa Kudrow)
The Mind of the Married Man season 1
Action complete series

Oh, and 1st and Ten for $8 bucks

And a couple other things I just added (not from BL) I got sweet deals on are:

Twilight Zone Definitive season 1 for $10 (online store)

and at a yardsale where this woman just really wanted to get rid of her kids stuff I bought:

Seasons 1-5 of Sex and The City & Married With Children season 1 for $1.50!!
Yep, she sold them for a quarter a piece so all together I spend a buck fifty on 6 complete sets in great condition.

Compared to that Big Lots was expensive, lol.
Old 08-19-09, 04:36 AM

anyone been to the San Fernando Valley stores ??

Van Nuys
Sherman Oaks Vineland
Sherman Oaks Sherman Way
Pacoima?
Old 08-19-09, 05:33 AM

Went to the Santa Ana, CA BL and looks like they have nothing. The only thing they had were various West Wing seasons along with Dukes of Hazzard. Of course no one would touch those.
Old 08-19-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by turnondafun
All in all I ended up with

Wonder Woman Complete
Friends 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Joey 1
Tales from the Crypt 2,3,4,5 had 1 need 6 and sold 7 on ebay a while back cuz it sucked!!
Flintstones 2,3,4
Lois and Clark 1-4
Adventures of superman 1-6
Birdman
Dastardly & Muttley
Space Ghost
Bam Bam & Pebbles
Wacky Races
Top Cat
New Scooby Doo Movies
Johnny Quest
Huckleberry Hound
Popeye Vol 1
Looney tunes Spotlight 2
Animaniacs vol.1
Pinky and the Brain vols.1,2
Thundercats season 1 vol.1&2, season 2 volume 2
Dukes of Hazzard season 6
War at Home
veronica Mars season 2
Blade series
six feet under season 3
I never saw Space Ghost or Bam Bam/Pebbles from your list. Saw most of the rest.
Old 08-19-09, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question: Unsealed Flintstone sets at Big Lots

I'm a new member and it's been fun reading the Big Lots threads - I hit this store at least three times a week myself. I have a question though about the Flintstones boxed sets? Are they all unsealed? The only one I've ever purchased sealed at BL was season 5 which is much thinner than the first four sets. Every copy of those seasons I've run across at BL has been unsealed and I had thought perhaps they were in this sale because a few of the boxes had minor dents or imperfections. I've never seen season 6 at any BL - has anybody bought there?
Old 08-19-09, 08:02 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Question: Unsealed Flintstone sets at Big Lots

Originally Posted by 30smovies
I'm a new member and it's been fun reading the Big Lots threads - I hit this store at least three times a week myself. I have a question though about the Flintstones boxed sets? Are they all unsealed? The only one I've ever purchased sealed at BL was season 5 which is much thinner than the first four sets. Every copy of those seasons I've run across at BL has been unsealed and I had thought perhaps they were in this sale because a few of the boxes had minor dents or imperfections. I've never seen season 6 at any BL - has anybody bought there?
I'm not sure why some of the sets at Big Lots were unsealed but it wasn't just the season 5 sets. I purchased a Season 1 set that also wasn't sealed. It's possible that the unsealed sets might have been returns orginally but at least my sets appears to be fine. I hope this helps.
Old 08-19-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only one I've found is Season 3, about a month ago, and it was sealed.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob
Old 08-19-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People have reported various mixes of sealed and unsealed copies of these sets. I was at my BL on the day they first put out the $3 boxed sets, and I picked up seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. Seasons 5 and 6 were unsealed; the rest were sealed.

Seeing that no discs were missing from the unsealed ones, I wasn't about to complain for $3.
Old 08-19-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, you're reading the Big Lots threads about Flintstones and have a Big Lots question about Flintstones, so you created a new thread? Why didn't you just post this in the Big Lots thread? It'd be much better (albeit again) than reading posts of all the people bickering over there lately. It's been so bad lately those threads pretty much suck now anyway, so maybe that's why you couldn't find it.
So, I'll answer your questions anyway, cause what the heck! Welcome to the forum!

All seasons of Flintstones have been found at BL, both sealed and unsealed. Most/all of these are store returns, so it's expected some of them would be unsealed. A few have minor issues with them (scratches, fingerprints, very minor wear), and very few with major issues (dvd rot), but most all of them are pretty much new in mint shape. Also check out the Big Lots Exchange Forum thread, you'll see by reading through there what people have been finding at Big Lots.

Last edited by basaro; 08-19-09 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

flintstones thread merged into this one.
Old 08-19-09, 08:48 AM

I actually managed to find Flintstones S2-6 all sealed and I traded for a sealed S1. So there were sealed sets for all seasons, some were just hard to come by.
Old 08-19-09, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by basaro
So, you're reading the Big Lots threads about Flintstones and have a Big Lots question about Flintstones, so you created a new thread? Why didn't you just post this in the Big Lots thread? It'd be much better (albeit again) than reading posts of all the people bickering over there lately. It's been so bad lately those threads pretty much suck now anyway, so maybe that's why you couldn't find it.
So, I'll answer your questions anyway, cause what the heck! Welcome to the forum!

All seasons of Flintstones have been found at BL, both sealed and unsealed. Most/all of these are store returns, so it's expected some of them would be unsealed. A few have minor issues with them (scratches, fingerprints, very minor wear), and very few with major issues (dvd rot), but most all of them are pretty much new in mint shape. Also check out the Big Lots Exchange Forum thread, you'll see by reading through there what people have been finding at Big Lots.
Since the Big Lots thread is mainly about mentioning one's finds and discussing why these sets are on the market I wasn't sure if a question about particular DVDS would be appropiate for it but that's ok and they have moved my post. I was asking because THE FLINTSTONES are the only titles I've seen that weren't sealed at BL other than a few of the slim case Astaire-Rogers movies and it struck me as odd those titles alone appeared to be possible returns. I haven't noticed anything on the sets I bought to indicate they might have been preowned like fingerprints, etc. In fact one of my sets had an extra copy of disc four - the first time I've ever encountered that when buying DVDs. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-19-09, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by RobCA
The only one I've found is Season 3, about a month ago, and it was sealed.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob
Thanks for the welcome, Rob! (And thanks to the other members who posted about my question, too.) Sometime in July my local store had 1 or 2 copies of seasons 1, 2, 3, and 5 all unsealed. I bought season 1 got it home and saw it was fine so I went back this next morning and got 2 and 3 - the lone 5 had sold. At the first of this month, the same store got at least 1 copy of each of these seasons again and the season five was the only one sealed so I grabbed it. Have never season either season 4 or 6 but of course someone could have bought what was there before me.

Someone mentioned a few pages ago they hadn't found the Teenaged Pebbles and Bamm Bamm set, it might be harder to notice as it's in a thin cardboard set until the bulkier Flintstones boxes.
Old 08-19-09, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Merkin_Muffley
Saw Hitchcock's "Saboteur"
It's probably a moot point since I never seem to find the Big Lots titles that most interest me, but which version of "Saboteur" (if either of these) did you see: the more recent Masterpiece Collection release (2006), or the older silhouette cover release (2001)?
Old 08-19-09, 10:32 AM

I've been reading these BL pages on the part 6 and 7 threads for hours and it's sure clears up a lot of questions I had about this unbelievable sale (as well as explaining why in my small town 6 copies of something like CIMARRON would disappear off the shelves overnight when I doubt there's six people here who know who Irene Dunne or Richard Dix are. They had around 10 of RYAN'S DAUGHTER when I bought mine, two days later all were gone and I had a hard time believing David Lean is that popular here.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in these threads is Big Lots' irregular 20 percent off customer appreciation days . Apparently these are just on a particular Sunday and you have to have the card for the discount given to you by cashier sometime the week before. I don't think they give these to every customer (that particular cashier was friendly and we talked a bit about DVDs as she rung up my purchase.) So imagine your savings with that addition!! I'm not sure if these 20 percent off your total purchase days are held at all BLs. This sale day was in early July or late June, before the $3 sets hit but the Sunday after the $6 sets first hit so it was pretty cool to get a few single movies for $2.40 and some boxed sets for $4.80. They still had many season sets like KNOTS LANDING, NIP N'TUCK, DALLAS, and of course the ever-collectible JOEY which one wonders if when BL finally pulls them might go on to become the first tv season sets available at Dollar Tree.
Old 08-19-09, 12:59 PM

yes, I got some movies for $2.40 on one of those days, but my 'big' haul of >$150 was on an 'off' day...
Old 08-19-09, 01:27 PM

I saw the Masterpiece Collection release of Saboteur (2006). I already had it.
Old 08-19-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The unsealed sets were store returns that were supposed to be destroyed.
Old 08-19-09, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

I found Prick Up Your Ears for $2 today. Also saw a few I've never seen there before (Sugar & Spice, Dawn of the Dead (remake), The Best of Times (Robin Williams)), but wasn't interested in.
Old 08-19-09, 03:32 PM

So I thought you guys might find this funny. I just got an email from Columbia House for one of their "Mega Clearance Sales". So they have a decent amount of the $3 and $6 sets we all found at BLs, not all but enough to make me chuckle, for the low price of $15 each. Gotta love it.

Last edited by House13; 08-19-09 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-09, 03:59 PM

I found the new 3.00 shipment today. It was mostly restocks of stuff thats been there before. They had 2 of the Dark Crystal boxes, a few of the Romper Stomper 2 discs, and 2 copies of the American Gangster 2 disc. I think I got there right when the stuff was put out so it was untouched.

The new stuff that I got was

American Gangster 2 disc
When Harry Met Sally
United 93 widescreen
2 newer Van Damme movies with hologram covers
2 newer Steven Segal movies with hologram covers
Half Nelson
Thomas Crown Affair

I also saw Thelma and Louise
Old 08-19-09, 04:08 PM
Banned

At my local BL they just got the new Sony/Universal/Artisan display

I picked up :
Zig Zag (pretty good David Goyer film)
All the Kings Men: SE (Sean Penn version)
The Woodsman

Also saw:
Slither (WS)
Honey (WS)
Spy-Game: CE(WS)
Undercover Brother: CE
All Quiet on the Western Front
Steamboy
Charlies Angels 2 (PG-13 edition)
Half Nelson
United 93 widescreen
Mothman Prophecies (2-disk Se) They had tons of this one for soe reason
Vampire Hunters
Gattaca : SE
....lots of others also
Old 08-19-09, 05:03 PM
ADP

Has anyone seen "In Love and War" 96' Starring Sandra Bullock?

Reaon that I ask is that I picked up a copy of it at BL in Conway, SC. Only copy that I could find and when I got home, the quality was terrible, real terrible. I carried it back and explained to the manager the problem and they agreed to exchange it but I could not find another copy. Ended up exchanging for a John Wayne movie.

If anyone happens to see this title floating around the Carolinas please let me know!

Thnks,

ADP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.