Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by jgorow
its quite possible that I buried them for you doc, a little over a week ago, once I started seeing all the greed going on, I started burying some things that were desirable but I didnt need in hopes that they would go to good homes, kind of like a dvd robin hood, lol
Well it was in Coconut Creek, FL and I REALLY APPRECAITE IT.
Old 08-02-09, 06:56 PM

Here's some news. Not sure if its true but...

Someone posted today on the Monster kids classic forum dvd section that they bought the following from Big Lots today for 6 bucks a piece:

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

If this is true, those are pretty good deals but no one else on here has spotted them so who the hell knows? The guy was a senior poster and is located in California.

Last edited by keylimeroth; 08-02-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 07:16 PM
Cool New Member

Went to Big Lots on Vineland in North Hollywood. They had a bunch of Pinky and the Brain Season 2 and The History of Rock and Roll.

There were also a few other sets:
Jacques Cousteau (1 set)
Superman 5/6 (1 set)
Drew Carey Season 1 (1 set)
Full House ??? Season (1 set)

A few others of the stuff that seems to pop up everywhere. Just thought someone might need these.
Old 08-02-09, 07:19 PM
Cool New Member

I guess I'm the only person here that likes the Ebay horders.I mean if you can't make a trade for it here just head-on over to ebay get what ever set you want for 10 bucks.I mean I bought 2 dvd sets off ebay paid 10 each for them and was glad for the price,found the sets later myself but I would still have paid the 10 spot to get a set I need.Alot cheaper than REPEATED TRIPS to BL.Just my change thought
Old 08-02-09, 08:36 PM

Bwa hah hah hahhhhh! Hilarious. New DVD Tales from the Crypt: The Complete Seasons 1-7 on eBay for $233.00.
Old 08-02-09, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by greyslade
Bwa hah hah hahhhhh! Hilarious. New DVD Tales from the Crypt: The Complete Seasons 1-7 on eBay for $233.00.
it wouldnt even cost that much of you went into best buy and bought each volume at full retail, read the auction again, it must come with a bluray player or something
Old 08-02-09, 09:27 PM

it wouldnt even cost that much of you went into best buy and bought each volume at full retail
$115 at Amazon new.
Old 08-02-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by keylimeroth

Someone posted today on the Monster kids classic forum dvd section that they bought the following from Big Lots today for 6 bucks a piece:

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

If this is true, those are pretty good deals but no one else on here has spotted them so who the hell knows? The guy was a senior poster and is located in California.
Those would be awesome, I bought those sets new at full price and it was money well spent.
Old 08-02-09, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
$115 at Amazon new.
I laugh when I see the one listing on an item in amazon marketplace as "collectable" is like double what everyone else is getting for the same identical item
Old 08-02-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girlfriend is the best. She went to the Big Lots close to where she works the other day, called me, and said she bought Flintstones seasons 4 and 6 for me since she remembered me mentioning I only needed those to complete my Flintstones set.

I went to the same Big Lots today, and while they did have a number of the $3 sets, they didn't have any of the Flintstones sets left, so I'm very glad she bought those two for me.

They told me that they get their truck up there (NC) on Tuesdays, and put stuff out by Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 08-02-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Store#: 04238

San Bernardino, CA

There was a restock. Just the $3.00 stuff though.

Found a target, "Wife Verse Secretary". Saw it a while back and was curious, read the reviews on Amazon and decided to pick it up, but when I returned it was gone. Now I have it, cool.

Also found something on my list for a couple of years, "Critters 2". Awesome! My only complaint is that the insert is all trashed up - like a kid crushed it and tried to unfold it flat.

Lastly was a title I haven't seen in perhaps fifteen - twenty years, "Mister Roberts".

That's it. No new sets.

Correction. I did see something new; "Bridzilla: Season 2". Saw two copies.

- - - - - -

Question.

How many of you guys and gals have run into the same people at other stores. I was at the SB store last month and shortly went to Colton Big Lots since I couldn't find what I wanted and ran into the same guy. Also looking for particular box sets.
Old 08-02-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

What's the deal with the "Collectible" listings on Amazon Marketplace anyways? I've seen some for things that are still in print, but they want some ridiculous amount for them. Does anyone actually buy from these people?

My area looks like it's dried up, but it's kind of a mixed blessing since I REALLY need to save some money for a new TV- I've been spending tons of money on stuff to watch on it once I get it!
Old 08-02-09, 11:24 PM

I laugh when I see the one listing on an item in amazon marketplace as "collectable" is like double what everyone else is getting for the same identical item
Never understood that either.
Old 08-02-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Found a target, "Wife Verse Secretary". Saw it a while back and was curious, read the reviews on Amazon and decided to pick it up, but when I returned it was gone. Now I have it, cool.
This is a great 30s comedy staring Myrna Loy (wife), Clark Gable (husband), Jean Harlow (secretary), and in an early role, Jimmy Stewart. Surprisingly frank and sophisicated look life at home and work, and how easy it is for a good thing to go bad.

Hard to imagine that Harlow would be dead a year after this film. Shame.

Another 30s gem is I Am Fugitive From A Chain Gang, watch out for this one... it's from a Warner Box Set (Controversial Classics, Vol. 1) and doesn't have a title sticker on the top. But if you look through all the DVDs without a label, I'll bet you find this one.
Old 08-03-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

I saw the Warner Horror legends set somewhere recently discounted (sorry I really can't remember where), but it was more like $20 then $6; these would be great finds!
Old 08-03-09, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if they were on the floor when you went over, I would have fought with the guy, and if he made a scene, i would have gotten the manager involved!
You would really FIGHT with someone over dvd's they were purchasing...........

IMO, this stuff is getting out of hand.
Old 08-03-09, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Val Lewton collection
Warner Horror Legends

Wow, that Val Lewton set is nice and like so many deal at Big Lots, incredible for $6.
Old 08-03-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
What's the deal with the "Collectible" listings on Amazon Marketplace anyways? I've seen some for things that are still in print, but they want some ridiculous amount for them. Does anyone actually buy from these people?...
"collectable" listings on amazon could mean a lot of different things. for examples:

- a dvd that is signed by one of the actors or directors or whoever
- a retail store exclusive version of the dvd
- an oop edition of the dvd that doesnt have its own listing for whatever reason
- etc

Old 08-03-09, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by hindolio
"collectable" listings on amazon could mean a lot of different things. for examples:

- a dvd that is signed by one of the actors or directors or whoever
- a retail store exclusive version of the dvd
- an oop edition of the dvd that doesnt have its own listing for whatever reason
- etc

or, it could just mean someone trying to get double what everyone else is for the same item, lol
Old 08-03-09, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

or, it could just mean someone trying to get double what everyone else is for the same item, lol
Yep. I think that's usually the case. Good luck finding someone to pay it, though!
Old 08-03-09, 05:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Listing an item as "Collectible" is a good way to list something at a super high price...and just wait for a time when it may go out of print. At that point, it does become 'collectible'.

I did this a few years ago with the "Homicide" box set. I'd picked this up during the Buy 1 Get 1 Free at Deep Discount. I knew it would be a long time before I'd get around to watching it, so I listed it at some outrageous amount ($250?)...and promptly forgot about it. Then, six months later I get an e-mail that it's sold(!).

I currently have my "Dangerman" megaset listed at a ridiculous price...every now and again I'll check the listing and at least once I had the lowest price. It hasn't sold yet, and that doesn't bother me. I'd love to hold on to it...but if I can get 4 or 5 times what I paid for it, then I'd be a fool to hold on to it (esp. when I can borrow it from a friend).

Peter
Old 08-03-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo

Thank you. I thought I was the only thinking this. I feel sorry for any manager that may have to be dragged in as referee.
Old 08-03-09, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo

Alright, I just read through all this stuff and something similar happened to me, albeit this was during the first wave of stuff. Some guy had placed them on a shelf right next to the DVDs and walked away. So I assumed he was done and told the wife to check those out, since she was with me and looking desperately for ER. Well the stack had two ERs and she took them. The guy came back about 2 minutes later and started complaining about "his stuff" missing. He looked at my hands, nothing. Then he saw the ER in my wife's hands and started throwing a fit about how that was his stuff..blah blah blah. Needless to say I told him to back off and leave my wife alone cause he was starting to get in her face. I grabbed the wife and we headed up front to check out, the whole time the guy was complaining and following us. We go outside and I get the wife in my truck (yes I still open doors for her, I am a gentleman after all). This guy is still bitching and is approaching fast, so I think fight! However once he saw me coming towards him with a full head of steam he ran right back into the store. Man was I pissed. It's one thing to mess with me, but you don't mess with my wife. Also, I wouldn't have had a problem if he had legitimate claim to the stuff. I mean lots of times people will place DVDs on the top of the four way rack while they are looking. I'll always ask if that stack is theirs before I try to see what's in it. But when he felt entitled to something he left on a shelf for several minutes, no one is going to win that argument with me. It may sound stupid over some DVDs but for me it's all about the principle of the matter. It's like the bartender that keeps your change. Yes I am giving you a tip, but don't assume I don't want change back, totally the principle of the matter. And even though it sounds childish I probably would of picked what I wanted out of the stack, taunted the guy for being stupid enough to leave his stuff on the floor (I mean if you have an inclination that you are trying to buy a ton of DVDs grab a cart when you first come in), and probably hit the stack so it slid all over the floor. Call me a bully if you will, which I'm not, but things like that just piss me off to no end.
Sorry for the long post, but that's my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see Popeye as dropped to $3.99 on Amazon. lol Keep going dumbasses. You might even beat Big Lots price! By comparison, the set is priced at $58 bucks on bn.com.
Old 08-03-09, 08:00 AM

1 collectible from, get this, the low-low bargain price of $65.99 (such a deal considering its $39.49 new direct from amazon)
I'll take twenty! Really, I've never understood why people put stuff as collectible, especially when the description makes it clear that you'll be getting the same stuff as the low priced merchandise, and mark it outrageously expensive.

It may go out of print one day, but until that day they have to store the stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.