DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by Luvmovies24
Here is what they had (along with various 2pks of scooby movies)
Scooby Doo, Where Are You! - The Complete Third Season
I'm jealous of that one. Never found the seasons in my stores...
Old 08-02-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamedLiquid
Wish I had a pawn shop by me like that. be awesome to find Criterion dvds there.
I have haunted pawn shops for years, & the only Crierions I've ever seen are lots of copies of Royal Tennenbaums, lots of Finding Amy's & 1 copy of Sullivan's Travels (which believe me I grabbed!).

These days, at least in western Wa state most of the the pawn shops are now paying so little that most of what they're getting is junk.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 08-03-09 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Luvmovies24
Here is what they had (along with various 2pks of scooby movies)
Scooby Doo, Where Are You! - The Complete Third Season
The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies
The Scooby-Doo Collection (yellow box)

Hope that helps
Thanks for the clarification...
Old 08-02-09, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to a BL I don't usually goto and the racks were completely picked over with nothing "good" left but then I se 2 huge stacks of dvd box sets sitting on the floor...

BINGO!!!

As I look over them, a guy comes over and says that they are all his...

There were 4 and 5 copies of the same sets throughout the piles...

I asked him why he is buying ALL of the sets and he turns to me with a big smile and says, "EBAY!"...

I told him that hundreds of people are doing the same exact thing and the market is flooded with these titles and that he won't become rich from these sales...

He just looked at me and said, "We'll see."

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
Old 08-02-09, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FlamedLiquid
Wish I had a pawn shop by me like that. be awesome to find Criterion dvds there.
It's not a good thing in this case, all they ever have is the regular $5 walmart bin stuff and BL titles...
Old 08-02-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I have haunted pawn shops for years, & the only Crierions I've ever seen are lots of copies of Royal Tennenbaums, lots of Finding Amy's & 1 copy of Sullivan's Travels 9which believe me I grabbed!).
I refuse to believe you've never run across Armageddon, which everyone seems to find at pawn shops.
Old 08-02-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update from the NILES, IL Big Lots in the Chicago area:

Went at opening today as per the store manager's recommendation that any new stock delivered on Friday doesn't appear on the floor until Sunday morning. However, he had also cautioned me that just because they get new deliveries every Friday, it doesn't mean there are any DVDs amongst them. Such was the case today, nothing new and even then one of the more pathetic selections of nothing old as well. So this store seems to definitely be out of the loop and no more special trips for me. I am finally coming to terms with the fact that the party's over, it's time to call it a day.

Still have TRACEY TAKES ON Season 2 and DUKES OF HAZZARD Season 4 for trade and have posted same in the Exchange thread.
Old 08-02-09, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by chard31
Went to a BL I don't usually goto and the racks were completely picked over with nothing "good" left but then I se 2 huge stacks of dvd box sets sitting on the floor...

BINGO!!!

I asked him why he is buying ALL of the sets and he turns to me with a big smile and says, "EBAY!"...

I told him that hundreds of people are doing the same exact thing and the market is flooded with these titles and that he won't become rich from these sales...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
if they were on the floor when you went over, I would have fought with the guy, and if he made a scene, i would have gotten the manager involved!
Old 08-02-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jgorow
if they were on the floor when you went over, I would have fought with the guy, and if he made a scene, i would have gotten the manager involved!
Agreed.

However, it's the Ebayer's loss, as he will soon find out (and ain't that just about the best justice we all can get in situations like this... knowing that he's going to get home all happy, fire up his computer, start checking listings and... "AWWW CRAP!!! They ain't worth squat!!" - especially when you factor in Ebay's fees, shipping materials, etc.) And since every other market is flooded with the same titles as well...
Old 08-02-09, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Agreed.

However, it's the Ebayer's loss, as he will soon find out (and ain't that just about the best justice we all can get in situations like this... knowing that he's going to get home all happy, fire up his computer, start checking listings and... "AWWW CRAP!!! They ain't worth squat!!" - especially when you factor in Ebay's fees, shipping materials, etc.) And since every other market is flooded with the same titles as well...
my point was, he walked over to the dvds on the sales floor and someone else walked over and grabbed them all and said "mine", I would have raised quite!! a ruckus. its like, if you went into the supermarket to get a box of fruit loops, and as you walked down the cereal aisle, as you approached the fruit loops, some idiot ran over and grabbed every box and said "mine!" in my younger days, if someone pulled that crap, I prob would have decked him, right then and there

Last edited by jgorow; 08-02-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 02:01 PM

if you missed the lois and clark box sets at big lots, check this out, prices on amazon marketplace for lois and clark season 1 -

108 new from $3.54
57 used from $3.09
and, 1 collectible from, get this, the low-low bargain price of $65.99 (such a deal considering its $39.49 new direct from amazon)

Last edited by jgorow; 08-02-09 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 02:02 PM

my point was, he walked over to the dvds on the sales floor and someone else walked over and grabbed them all and said "mine", I would have raised quite!! a ruckus. its like, if you went into the supermarket to get a box of fruit loops, and as you walked down the cereal aisle, as you approached the fruit loops, some idiot ran over and grabbed every box and said "mine!" in my younger days, if someone pulled that crap, I prob would have decked him, right then and there
this. Especially if the guy didnt actually have them in a cart or his possession. Theres no way he could carry all those up without a cart. I would of just grabbed some.
Old 08-02-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, hey, I don't disagree with you at all, but I'm in a bit of a passive-aggressive mode at the moment, so I personally would be happy with knowing that the $3-$6 he's spending per set were going to result in financial losses for the schmuck.

On the other hand, my fluctuating maternity moods might just work to the poor guy's detriment, as I'd be more than happy to hold your coat while you carried out your own form of much more immediate justice!
Old 08-02-09, 02:42 PM

BINGO!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
What a PUNK. he should have at least let you go through and pick out anything you wanted. Actually, he wouldn't have been "letting" you do anything -- he had ZERO claim on them if they weren't in his cart. They weren't even in his possession when you saw them.

Out of curiosity, what sets were there?
Old 08-02-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
The guy will make a few dollars at the most if he's lucky and I kind of doubt he would even make that. Talk about greedy though, serves him right to not make anything.
Old 08-02-09, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Love all the 'big' talk in this thread.
Old 08-02-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
What a PUNK. he should have at least let you go through and pick out anything you wanted. Actually, he wouldn't have been "letting" you do anything -- he had ZERO claim on them if they weren't in his cart. They weren't even in his possession when you saw them.

Out of curiosity, what sets were there?
He took the sets out of the official display. I think that's claim enough. It was stupid that he walked away but he obviously was keeping his eye on his stuff.
Old 08-02-09, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
He took the sets out of the official display. I think that's claim enough. It was stupid that he walked away but he obviously was keeping his eye on his stuff.
The original poster said he was looking over the "4 and 5 copies of the same sets" as the guy walked up, so I'm assuming he didn't see any titles that interested him and thus didn't feel the need to make too huge a deal about it, other than to acknowledge that the eBay market is already oversaturated with these titles. I don't know, if there had been a title I was looking for, perhaps I would have taken a single copy for myself and see how big an issue the other guy wanted to make over it. I'm assuming the guy left the stack on the floor so he could go grab a cart, but it didn't sound like it was too big a stack for him to take with him in the first place (unless the only available carts were outside). Personally, I don't see where any shopper has a claim on any item unless it's in their cart or clutched in their hands. Stacking items on the floor next to the display while you walk away doesn't equate ownership.
Old 08-02-09, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kent2000
Stacking items on the floor next to the display while you walk away doesn't equate ownership.
This.
Old 08-02-09, 04:02 PM

I got the impression they were sitting in boxes because they hadn't been loaded into the display yet. If that was the case, I'd be with most of you in saying he had absolutely zero claim to them.

I''d like to think I've have called him on it and gotten a manager involved.
Old 08-02-09, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
I got the impression they were sitting in boxes because they hadn't been loaded into the display yet. If that was the case, I'd be with most of you in saying he had absolutely zero claim to them.

I''d like to think I've have called him on it and gotten a manager involved.
I am sure the manager would have made the "hog" cough up 1 copy for the other guy
Old 08-02-09, 04:18 PM

Found buried in South Florida today 2 SEALED copies of Flintstones S 3.
Old 08-02-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I don't know. I've been known to do the same due to the less-than-sanitary conditions of the carts and baskets. But, I always keep them within arm's reach, watch them closely through the corner of my eye and never walk away. And the guy was clearly a scumbag.
Old 08-02-09, 05:03 PM

In Nashua, NH store today I saw a couple copies of Tracey Takes On S1, War at Home S1 (each $3) and lots of copies of Joey S1 and Dukes of Hazzard S5 ($6 each)
Old 08-02-09, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Found buried in South Florida today 2 SEALED copies of Flintstones S 3.
its quite possible that I buried them for you doc, a little over a week ago, once I started seeing all the greed going on, I started burying some things that were desirable but I didnt need in hopes that they would go to good homes, kind of like a dvd robin hood, lol

Last edited by jgorow; 08-02-09 at 06:13 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.