DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 08-01-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by mcfly
I can understand that Dark Knight thing but then where are all the extra copies? I can't see them suing over 2mill+ copies of TDK. It's gotta be this boxset fiasco.
Exactly....that Home Media Magazine article specifically states:

Warner found the product that was supposed to be destroyed was “advertised and sold … nationally in large quantities.”

These $6 and $3 sets are all Warner titles and have been specifically advertised and sold nationwide by Big Lots...in quite large quantities (for many of the titles)...

Has anyone seen any advertisements anywhere for any store with blowout prices on The Dark Knight? Has anyone even found a store selling new copies of TDK for less than $10??
Old 08-01-09, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

I can understand that Dark Knight thing but then where are all the extra copies? I can't see them suing over 2mill+ copies of TDK. It's gotta be this boxset fiasco.
I think the Dark Knight confusion stems from the fact that the site that broke the story, THREsq.com, illustrated their story with an image of the Dark Knight Blu-Ray cover (even though the article itself made no mention of TDK at all). It was probably the first Warner Home Video image they had handy. Other sites picked up on the story, and started saying the lawsuit was ALL over copies Dark Knight.

There is no doubt in my mind that the lawsuit is over the boxset fiasco.
Old 08-01-09, 12:56 PM

You can't see them suing over the theft and eventual street selling of the biggest movie of the decade? I can. Curious what your reasoning is.

It seems to me like they would have gotten a lot of returns as all the retailers (inlcuding rental chains which always stock a bunch of copies of a few newer releases), which carried tons of TDK started making room, taking down displays, etc. Thousands of stores that carried it all returning overstock. I imagine with the initial demand that orders skyrocketed well past what would eventually be needed.

The numbers add up, and the articles are reporting this as the issue. I admit that I hope this is the case, so that there is a good chance more waves of deals hit BL. I hope this was legit and will be repeated.
Old 08-01-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Any Dukes S4?
honestly, I didn't look closely at them. I saw what shows they were and had no interest in them so I didn't check which seasons of volumes on anything.
Old 08-01-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
You can't see them suing over the theft and eventual street selling of the biggest movie of the decade? I can. Curious what your reasoning is.

The numbers add up, and the articles are reporting this as the issue. I admit that I hope this is the case, so that there is a good chance more waves of deals hit BL. I hope this was legit and will be repeated.
I'm not saying they wouldn't sue over that - any company would - but it doesn't make sense that the company was reselling JUST copies of TDK. Where are they? The way the articles were written imply they were resold to 3rd party (which would be Big Lots in this case) and sold on to the consumers.

That makes much more sense than 2mill+ copies of TDK unaccounted for. I'm sure we'd see an abundance of them at SOME store if that was the case.
Old 08-01-09, 01:15 PM

Franklin Mills, PA
Bristol, PA
Beverly, NJ

Nothing new observed, sad to say. Although, some nice person (not me) put the 4 volumes of the anime series "Flag" together in one spot at Franklin Mills. Thanks very much!
Old 08-01-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

The box sets I found at the Rutland, VT, store today were slashed over the UPC code, a clear indication that they were intended to be discarded and not to be distributed to retailers.

Regardless of their stock's provenance, the Rutland, VT store has multiple copies of Animaniacs Vol. 2
Pinky & the Brain Vol. 2
The West Wing Season 2
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Wait Til Your Father Gets Home
Popeye Theatrical Shorts Vol 1
The War At Home
Night Court Season 1

all for $3.

I also bought a lot of Warner single titles for $3 each, like Brick, Anna Christie, The Horse Soldiers, and Day for Night (Truffaut for $3!),

Last edited by Gobear; 08-01-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-01-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've opened a few of my sets recently and some of them seem to have been re-sealed. Fingerprints, feather scratches, etc. on "brand new" discs. My LT set only had Volume 3 sealed in the package, and 3 out of the 4 discs in Volume 1 had thick finger prints all over the bottom.

To me anyway, this makes more logical sense.. also as to why we're not finding any new hauls.
Old 08-01-09, 01:55 PM

I've opened a few of my sets recently and some of them seem to have been re-sealed. Fingerprints, feather scratches, etc. on "brand new" discs. My LT set only had Volume 3 sealed in the package, and 3 out of the 4 discs in Volume 1 had thick finger prints all over the bottom.
I bought two copies of Adventures of Superman season two and I did notice at the time that one of the copies had a "different kinda shrinkwrap" feel than any of the other Warner sets. I figured I'd keep the "used" set for my collection and use the other perfect one for trade. The discs did turn out to be mint so that was good. On further inspection, the back of the cardboard case had pen mark indentations where someone had written something on paper while using the dvd outer cardboard case as a clipboard. That was the only exception, though. This was one heck of a great few weeks at Big Lots!!!
Old 08-01-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked out three Big Lots today, with two of them having been visited on Thursday.

Gastonia, NC - A couple of copies of Joey, one copy of season two of Tracey Takes On (I bought it) and a few copies of season one (which I also bought). That's about it for that store.

Pinewood - Nothing new at all to report.

Cedar Springs - Same as Pinewood

It seems as if the well has finally dried up. = / Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
Old 08-01-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I checked out my Big Lots and they had a ton of sets. I couldn't believe it. Mine had Drew Carey Show, Nip Tuck, ER, Dukes, Popeye, Smallville, and some huge mega sets like History of Rock n Roll and Super Bowl collection. All for 3 - 6 bucks each. I got Smallville S7 blu-ray for 6 bucks!

Of course, the dorks on Amazon are selling it 11 bucks, less than the SD version. lol
Old 08-01-09, 03:36 PM

I was doing my normal trip yesterday and as I was leaving I noticed a full shopping cart of box sets. Employees were putting the security bar on the back of them. I asked and started digging through them hoping I would find one of the Looney Tunes sets, but they were all $6 dvds that were reported in the first set last month. I did manage to pick up a few that I hadn't gotten yet like Scooby-Doo Where are You Season 3, Thundercats season 1 Vol 1 (the 6 disc box), Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection 2 and Animaniacs Vol 1.

Moral of the story is: don't despair yet. They might not get any new shipments but there is a good chance some stores still have boxes of dvds lurking in storage. There apparently isnt any company-wide policy to remove them from shelves.
Old 08-01-09, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I checked out my Big Lots and they had a ton of sets. I couldn't believe it. Mine had Drew Carey Show, Nip Tuck, ER, Dukes, Popeye, Smallville, and some huge mega sets like History of Rock n Roll and Super Bowl collection. All for 3 - 6 bucks each. I got Smallville S7 blu-ray for 6 bucks!

Of course, the dorks on Amazon are selling it 11 bucks, less than the SD version. lol
What is your location?
Old 08-01-09, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ratnamedted
I was doing my normal trip yesterday and as I was leaving I noticed a full shopping cart of box sets. Employees were putting the security bar on the back of them. I asked and started digging through them hoping I would find one of the Looney Tunes sets, but they were all $6 dvds that were reported in the first set last month. I did manage to pick up a few that I hadn't gotten yet like Scooby-Doo Where are You Season 3, Thundercats season 1 Vol 1 (the 6 disc box), Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection 2 and Animaniacs Vol 1.

Moral of the story is: don't despair yet. They might not get any new shipments but there is a good chance some stores still have boxes of dvds lurking in storage. There apparently isnt any company-wide policy to remove them from shelves.
What is your location?
Old 08-01-09, 03:51 PM

Little Rock, AR... that would be a bit of a drive from MO. Mine had all the same sets that jeffbase34 mentioned as well.
Old 08-01-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update from the Niles, IL store in the Chicago area:

Nothing. A few of the first wave titles, probably returns, OC, DUKES, NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES, just a spit of the original $6.00 titles.. This store had one minor burst a few Sundays ago with a few second wave titles, but otherwise that's it, nothing new since then other than providing a continual inspiration for wasting time.
Old 08-01-09, 03:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I went out to my local Big Lots today, but really did not find much that interested me. There were some box sets like Pebbles and BammBamm, Josie & the Pussycats, The Dukes of Hazzard, and Joey, but no Looney Tunes, Flintstones or Popeye the Sailor sets to my disappointment.

I only bought

Pinky and the Brain Vol 2 - 6.00
Kung Fu Hustle (in foolscreen unfortunately) - 3.00
Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels - 3.00

Last edited by PixarFan1988; 08-01-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-01-09, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ratnamedted
Little Rock, AR... that would be a bit of a drive from MO. Mine had all the same sets that jeffbase34 mentioned as well.
Thanks. Yes it would, but while we're here...Go Hogs.
Old 08-01-09, 04:16 PM

I picked up:

The Wild Bunch The Original Director's Cut $3
Collateral Damage $3
Above The Law / Hard To Kill double feature $3

This was at the Spring Valley, CA Biglots. I couldn't find much else that I wanted. But I'm happy with what I got.
Old 08-01-09, 04:23 PM

I saw 2 IMAX Collections today...................UNFORTUANTELY it was at Best Buy for $99.99 each. I laughed when I saw the price.
Old 08-01-09, 04:28 PM

San Francisco/East Bay update:

EVERYTHING is gone now except for Dukes of Hazzard, Night Court S1, and War at Home S1. (Antioch, Concord, and Dublin stores)
Old 08-01-09, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

Duarte, Ca:
Nothing new and no $10 sets
They did have a few Pinky & the Brain V1 and a restock of the $6 titles including the Superbowl sets and lots of various Scooby boxsets.

Pasadena, Ca:
Same old stuff

Hohum.
Old 08-01-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Luvmovies24
Duarte, Ca:
Nothing new and no $10 sets
They did have a few Pinky & the Brain V1 and a restock of the $6 titles including the Superbowl sets and lots of various Scooby boxsets.

Pasadena, Ca:
Same old stuff

Hohum.
Scooby Box Sets or Season 1&2?
Old 08-01-09, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by basaro
Or Portsmouth. Still a half-ish open case of Popeye there on the floor this morning, and a few stragglers like common Flintstones sets, Dastardly & Muttley, Life Goes On S1, War At Home S1.
went to Nashua,nh and nothing new. a few joeys and dukes. I did pick up a csi pc game for my wife for $6. Nashua seemed only to get the first wave or was picked over by the time I got here for my second trip?
Old 08-01-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thrall
I picked up:

The Wild Bunch The Original Director's Cut $3
Collateral Damage $3
Above The Law / Hard To Kill double feature $3

This was at the Spring Valley, CA Biglots. I couldn't find much else that I wanted. But I'm happy with what I got.
Holy cow!! Spring Valley got a BigLots?!?! Man... it's been a LONG time since I went to high school there (Mt. Miguel).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.