Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
The "Family packs" I posted about earlier were more of the public domain junk (WW2, I Love Lucy, John Wayne, etc). I THINK the manufacturer was Brentwood; sorry I didn't bother to count the amount of discs.
couldnt possibly be "I love lucy", has to be "The Lucy Show", there are no "I Love Lucy" episodes in the public domain. and by the way, one of the major studios just picked up "The Lucy Show" for a legit release
Old 08-01-09, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdfan21
Did you get the one with the tin case? i remember that was an exclusive best buy edition but i never got around to buying it due to the high price on release week. You be surprised what people do for an extra dollar or two lol. Im just glad there was a site like this that had members willing to post their findings and helping others get great deals on dvds
I would've gladly paid $40 for that Popeye set but I never got around to buying it. The $3 pricepoint was perfect.

If only I could've gotten the rest of the mat that price.
Old 08-01-09, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Man, I paid like 40 for my set. It was excellent quality. Top rated on this site. I figured it would be a nice collector's item, and I enjoy historical content.

Even more crazy, I just did a search on Amazon marketplace, and like 100 idiots are trying to sell this for 4 bucks. Wow, desperate to make maybe 1 damn dollar? Hoarders just piss me off. Check Flintstones, and it's the same thing. Concidence? I think not.
Buying for $3 & selling on Amazon or ebay for $4 makes no sense, the seller will lose money.
Old 08-01-09, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jgorow
couldnt possibly be "I love lucy", has to be "The Lucy Show", there are no "I Love Lucy" episodes in the public domain. and by the way, one of the major studios just picked up "The Lucy Show" for a legit release
You're probably correct. I consider this stuff to be junk, so don't pay very close attention.
Old 08-01-09, 06:46 AM

I found another report that say it was just Dark Knight DVD's that were stolen
I guess only time will tell? 2mil copies of Dark Knight to be distroyed seems like a lot!?!?

blog.newsarama.com/2009/07/31/the-dark-knight-returns-to-court/

The Dark Knight returns… to court

July 31st, 2009
Author David Pepose
Warner Bros. has taken someone to court over 2 million stolen DVDs for the Dark Knight.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Home Video has filed a $10 million complaint against IWMB, Inc., who they said agreed to destroy 2 million surplus copies of the Dark Knight.

Instead, WB alleges, the company gave the disks to a third party, who began selling these copies on the street.

Yowza… this is the sort of embezzlement/misappopriation scheme that would even make Bruce Wayne blush. And he steals military weapons on a regular basis.
Old 08-01-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Buying for $3 & selling on Amazon or ebay for $4 makes no sense, the seller will lose money.
Some of these resellers bought up a ton of copies at the cheap prices, not counting on so many other people doing the same. A lot of these individuals then probably listed these on ebay, Amazon marketplace, etc., driving prices down.

They probably weren't counting on getting $4-6 a piece for them, but with so many flooding onto the market, their dreams of profit have gone up in smoke.

Of course this can benefit collectors. I was checking out Flintstones sets on ebay (just need season 4 to finish my run; I got the rest at BL). I laughed when I saw a few sellers listing these for over $30.00. No one is going to pay $30.00 for a Flintstones set now.
Old 08-01-09, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Seems like they should keep at least a few copies of The Dark Knight out there for a while- if they wanted to destroy 2 million, how many more were made?

Not a big Popeye fan (the way the characters in the cartoons talk annoys me) but still got the Warner set for 3 bucks- to think I thought I was getting a deal a few years ago when I bought a crappy Goodtimes 2-disc Popeye collection at Wal-Mart for $5.50!
Old 08-01-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Some of these resellers bought up a ton of copies at the cheap prices, not counting on so many other people doing the same. A lot of these individuals then probably listed these on ebay, Amazon marketplace, etc., driving prices down.

They probably weren't counting on getting $4-6 a piece for them, but with so many flooding onto the market, their dreams of profit have gone up in smoke.

Of course this can benefit collectors. I was checking out Flintstones sets on ebay (just need season 4 to finish my run; I got the rest at BL). I laughed when I saw a few sellers listing these for over $30.00. No one is going to pay $30.00 for a Flintstones set now.

If they had any brains, they would pull their listing ,and simply wait for the price to go back up. The thing that blows my mind is now sellers are trying to unload dvds at $0.01. That's desperation. I saw The Others is listed on Amazon for a penny. I own this movie ,and it has more value than that. If I ever need to sell my dvds, I'm better off doing it at a garage sale.
Old 08-01-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Seems like they should keep at least a few copies of The Dark Knight out there for a while- if they wanted to destroy 2 million, how many more were made?

Not a big Popeye fan (the way the characters in the cartoons talk annoys me) but still got the Warner set for 3 bucks- to think I thought I was getting a deal a few years ago when I bought a crappy Goodtimes 2-disc Popeye collection at Wal-Mart for $5.50!
The extras alone make this a must have for any fan of animation. It includes a documentary on the history of animation, and some of the first animated films. Fascinating stuff.
Old 08-01-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JohnnieGrrrl
I found another report that say it was just Dark Knight DVD's that were stolen
I guess only time will tell? 2mil copies of Dark Knight to be distroyed seems like a lot!?!?

blog.newsarama.com/2009/07/31/the-dark-knight-returns-to-court/

The Dark Knight returns… to court

July 31st, 2009
Author David Pepose
Warner Bros. has taken someone to court over 2 million stolen DVDs for the Dark Knight.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Home Video has filed a $10 million complaint against IWMB, Inc., who they said agreed to destroy 2 million surplus copies of the Dark Knight.

Instead, WB alleges, the company gave the disks to a third party, who began selling these copies on the street.

Yowza… this is the sort of embezzlement/misappopriation scheme that would even make Bruce Wayne blush. And he steals military weapons on a regular basis.
That would actually make more sense then Warner destroying all those cartoon boxes.
Old 08-01-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Sorry, I only scanned one page back and saw no discussion of it.
That *might* work with a slow moving thread, which is unusual enough here at DVD Talk, but is still considered by most to be poor etiquette. You should, at the very least, attempt to go back a full day or two "just in case" for most threads on this site.

*THIS* thread has had 1039 posts (including this reply) since late afternoon on 7/23/09! That's simply amazing and is probably a record for this site. That's just over 8 1/2 days at the time of my reply. This is an average of 122 posts per day, 5 per hour. Depending on your settings, scanning back one page would probably get you 2-3 hours of posts at best, even less during heavy posting times.
Old 08-01-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Back to business...

My mid-day run yesterday netted nothing new. No new stock of *any* type, but still *lots* of people digging through the $3 DVD movies, several with 5-10 titles in their cart. I was told there were no new DVDs on the truck, but the person I asked doesn't do stocking and my connection in that area is off for a week! I guess it's just as well considering how much I've purchased/spent the past 3 weeks...
Old 08-01-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmw650
Which location in the Chicagoland area are you referring to Preterite?
It's been a couple of weeks, and I've been back and forth and around so many times, but I think it was the one in Markham that I saw the mother lode (though I only opted for a single Kubrick and a single Looney Tunes). I then hit the one on 183rd, swung over to Highland, and then the Cal City location on my way home. The 183rd still had some Looney Tunes at the time, and Cal City had some good $3 sets. Highland never had anything good in my three or four visits there.

Everything's long gone now, of course.

Last edited by Preterite; 08-01-09 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-01-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Seems like they should keep at least a few copies of The Dark Knight out there for a while- if they wanted to destroy 2 million, how many more were made?...
According to the last sales figures I could find there have been 12,794,402 copies *sold* as of 6/21/09 with average sales of ~50,000 copies per month since March. On a print run that's seen almost 13 million units sold, a destruct order for 2 million is minimal and not unusual considering that these are reported to be defectives and returns.
Old 08-01-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am going to be very happy if it turns out to be just about the Dark Knight.
Old 08-01-09, 08:53 AM

I went over to Danvers, MA, this morning. There's not that much left. I was surprised to see the return of West Wing and the ultra rare Joey. I hadn't seen them for a while, so I figured they had sold. Must have just put them in back to make room for other stuff. They put out a lot of new $3 movies, so I'm not sure if they still have any of the box sets left in back. I'm still hoping stuff that I haven't seen will show up, like Lois & Clark and Tales from the Crypt, but who knows at this point.
Old 08-01-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I am going to be very happy if it turns out to be just about the Dark Knight.
I agree. The more I think about QuirkyMovieGirl's post regarding that Warner SHOULD have donated the cartoon sets to children's charities if there intent was to destroy them, the more I agree with her & the more it pisses me off. I don't have any problem with Warner blowing out overstock (I certainly bought my share), but if their intent was to destroy all the stuff we've seen at Big Lots that's NOT ok.
Old 08-01-09, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by statcat
because WB feels it would devalue their product in the mind of the consumer.
I think WB has a legitimate concern. The DVD market is a deflationary one, anyway. After this sale, how many of us are going to think twice about buying a DVD at "normal" prices?
Old 08-01-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
I think WB has a legitimate concern. The DVD market is a deflationary one, anyway. After this sale, how many of us are going to think twice about buying a DVD at "normal" prices?
I am mostly ruined for paying higher prices for DVDs ... I already a had a basic price point before I agree to buy DVD, Box Set, or TV Season.... Which now has dropped... but....... only slightly... because I know that these are so low that they were basically garage sale prices and a potential anomoly.... but yes..... it is hard to go back to paying "sale" price for anything.....much less MSRP.
Old 08-01-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcfly
There's no method or formula for what stors get what sets. I live in CA and haven't found LT where I live but it's been spotted all over SoCal. The set I have now was from IL where the guy who traded it to me lived. It's just hit or miss.
I thought I had read these BL threads pretty closely, but I can't recall seeing any reports of anyone finding the LT sets in SoCal (where I live) or in the Chicago area (where I am currently visiting). You're right though, there is no rhyme or reason to any of it and it's all hit or miss. It's such an anachronistic concept in these days of being able to find most everything literally at your fingertips.

EDIT: Haha, a report of the LT set showing up in Chicago right on this very page! Just shows you that some of this stuff becomes a blur after awhile, so allow me to amend my original post by saying that I myself have not seen any of the LT or other high ticket box sets either in SoCal or Chicago. Thank you. Good night. Drive safely.

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 08-01-09 at 10:56 AM. Reason: to make a dull post even duller
Old 08-01-09, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stopped in Beverly NJ yesterday while on the road. The only boxes they had were:
Flintstones S2 (a few)
OC S2 (sveral)
Nip Tuck S4 (regular DVD/2 copies)
Joey S1 (several)
Super Bowl (various)

They did have a lot of single movies, inc. Last Time Committed Suicide, Lillith, & Sweet Bird Of Youth. No Bonds tho.

Praying, as I was, to spot the stray Smallville S6 Blu, Dastardly & Muttley, Looney Tunes, or Kubrick - I was quite disappointed.
Old 08-01-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Eldersburg and Westminster MD stores are picked clean of sets pretty much. A few Joeys, Night Court and Dukes of Hazzard still around, but little else.
Old 08-01-09, 12:23 PM

I saw the 1st and 10 box yesterday at a store I've been to many times. So there still putting something out. Could be a return, I guess.
Old 08-01-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Eldersburg and Westminster MD stores are picked clean of sets pretty much. A few Joeys, Night Court and Dukes of Hazzard still around, but little else.
Any Dukes S4?
Old 08-01-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand that Dark Knight thing but then where are all the extra copies? I can't see them suing over 2mill+ copies of TDK. It's gotta be this boxset fiasco.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.