Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

All the $3 boxsets were gone my my local BL, but I was able to pick up this gem:

Old 07-30-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-30-09, 02:24 PM
Banned

The Five Below stores have similar product like Droopy, Hong Kong Phooey and HD-DVD's, all for $5 each so were these supposed to be destroyed as well? The story is all very fishy to me. How does BB sell dvd's for $4.99? That's basically a closeout sale section within their own store.
Old 07-30-09, 02:36 PM

From the LA Times:

Time Warner reports. Time Warner said this morning that profits were off 34% for the media conglomerate's second quarter, primarily due to fewer DVD sales and a weaker advertising market. That 34% also takes into account that last year Time Warner Cable was still part of the company (it has since been spun off). Income from continuing operations was off just 8%. HBO was the bright spot. Early reports from the Associated Press and Broadcasting & Cable.
(can't post link because of 30 post rule)

Seems to me that Warner Bros was just blowing out some inventory because of weak sales.
Old 07-30-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been pretty much igoning the regular DVDs but did see a a double feature with the Curve / Militia (what a combo!). Anyway these are produced by Avalance and there are no specs --- are these anamorphic WS? The stand-alone Curve is Letterbox according to DVD Empire scan, so I guess it's not anamorphic.

Anybody know?
Old 07-30-09, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DriftChamp
All the $3 boxsets were gone my my local BL, but I was able to pick up this gem
I guess you already had Brick. Otherwise, you missed out on a great deal if Brick was $3.
Old 07-30-09, 02:56 PM

I went to the Big Lots in Crestwood, MO. Nothing really there. I was too late on this one.

They did have 1 copy of Willard (Remake) for $3 and United 93 packed with another film for $6. Those were really the only good buys I could see.
Old 07-30-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Visited the two closest locations to me:

Cedar Springs - No $3 sets left, a couple of copies of Joey and the OC. I did finally find Overnight Delivery, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Pinewood - One copy of Wacky Races, two copies of Popeye (one after I left, lol) and that's it. No other $3 or $6 sets.

I will check both locations again on Saturday, and after that I'm on an indefinite Big Lots hiatus. =)
Old 07-30-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new weekly ad for this coming Sunday is up. No dvds, but you can get ahold of one of these classy towels...

Old 07-30-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DriftChamp
All the $3 boxsets were gone my my local BL, but I was able to pick up this gem:

Oh come on. First TRUE BLOOD and DEADWOOD and now this? How gullible do you think we are? There's no way a classic like this title is at Big Lots for $3.00!!!! I'll believe it when I see it....
Old 07-30-09, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy
The new weekly ad for this coming Sunday is up. No dvds, but you can get ahold of one of these classy towels...
The worst thing is that I own one of these towels. A family member thought it would make a great Xmas present.
Old 07-30-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by House13
The worst thing is that I own one of these towels. A family member thought it would make a great Xmas present.
Ha! Do you follow the directions?
Old 07-30-09, 04:25 PM

HA HA! Well I do, but on my dogs since I decided they would get more use out of it than me.
Old 07-30-09, 04:29 PM

he uses the "face" side for "the butt", then hangs the towel back up for the next person to use
Old 07-30-09, 04:37 PM

New pickup for me:

Tracey Takes On...:Season One $3 (now I have the first two seasons, which apparently are now out of print.)
Larry King Live: The Greatest Interviews $3
Murphy Brown: The Complete First Season $3 (this included the Commemorative DVD Volume 2 featuring My Sister Sam and Room For Two. Also, this is the only season of Murphy Brown to be released.)
Old 07-30-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnieGrrrl
Hey All,

I found this news story about Warner Bros/IWMB, and I am not sure that the stuff showing up at Big Lots is part of it.

cidadeverde.com/entretenimento_txt.php?id=41924

I translated the site and it looks like it they are only suing them over copies of Dark Knight?!? But it also sites the Hollywood Reporter story that was posted here as a reference. I really hope the stuff keeps showing up at Big Lots ... It's been nice to get all the old cartoons for my daughter!
For those interested... it is portuguese to english....

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
Old 07-30-09, 05:46 PM
Banned

Stopped in at three Big Lots again today.

To quote another forum member: "The party's over..."
Old 07-30-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

So... anyone else notice that this thread has had over 57,763 views? That's the number at the time of this post. Pretty good for a thread that was started 07-23-09 at 4:33 PM. That's over 8200 views per day...

I'm growing to hate BL... I've been *every* day for the past 3 weeks... sometimes twice a day! Just for grins and giggles, I got my receipts out and added it all up... over $200!! Doesn't seem like so much when it's a $3 title one day, 4-5 another, etc., etc. Of course that's for 30 (!?! - just now added them up... wow!) TV season sets and a couple of dozen movies, *all* for my personal collection! The only saving grace is that the total would have been much higher had I made the same purchases anywhere else! Gotta justify it somehow, eh? When one of the checkers asked if I had watched any of them yet I told her I've not had time because I've been spending too much time reading this thread and visiting BL to buy more to watch anything I've purchased...

On second thought... I *love* BL!
Old 07-30-09, 06:16 PM
Cool New Member

I've been to three Big Lots locations this week and have found absolutely nothing. Oddly enough, there are more copies of Tracy Takes On hanging around than Joey.

This was great while it lasted. I got pretty much everything I wanted sans the holy grail (Looney Tunes).
Old 07-30-09, 06:29 PM

I didn't go to any Big Lots today!!! I feel so free and alive! Anyway, back to Big Lots tomorrow...
Old 07-30-09, 06:38 PM

Yeah, as many others have already stated, looks like the well has dried up

Did a mini run of 4 orlando area stores and saw nothing interesting at all, some $6 dollar sets but the usual suspects OC Dukes blah blah blah.

Also saw a customer trying to get the $6 sets for $3 because they were in the ad for $3, not sure if he was successful or not.

Definitely not going to complain, got a lot of cool stuff to watch including tons of cartoons to watch with my boy. Good luck everyone
Old 07-30-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by marctheknife
I've been to three Big Lots locations this week and have found absolutely nothing. Oddly enough, there are more copies of Tracy Takes On hanging around than Joey.

This was great while it lasted. I got pretty much everything I wanted sans the holy grail (Looney Tunes).
Same here with the "Tracey Takes On" title. *Still* 7-8 copies available, with almost everything else gone or buried amongst movies. The only other thing with multiple copies is "The West Wing" S2. There are *no* copies of Joey left even though this store started with ~12.

Wednesday, when the ad hit the paper, there were *lots* of people digging through the movies but I don't think any of those people were looking for the TV sets as the few that were there Wednesday at noon were still there today, still buried.
Old 07-30-09, 06:45 PM

So what's the consensus? Think there will be another round of boxset gold?
Old 07-30-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I am told that this coming week's new dvd's will be some sort of a $6.00 "Family pack".
Old 07-30-09, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Oh come on. First TRUE BLOOD and DEADWOOD and now this? How gullible do you think we are? There's no way a classic like this title is at Big Lots for $3.00!!!! I'll believe it when I see it....
i can confirm that this has been at a few BLs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.