Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

I was in BL today and for example the SuperFriends sets, New Scooby-Doo Movies, and Anaimaniacs 2/Pinky and the Brain 2 had new $3 stickers. It looks like this is the last of the haul.
Old 07-29-09, 07:59 PM
ADP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah heck, no more box sets or WB classics?

Thankfully I've made a decent haul thus far

Will be back out tomorrow on the lookout. Honestly I like the old WB classics more than the sets thus far. Can't beat G-Men, Each Dawn I Die, The Roaring Twenties, and a few others for $3 when Amazon has them priced at $17.99 + shipping
Old 07-29-09, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
This is absolutely crazy if this turns out to be true. Man, I never imagined in a million years that this could be why cheap $6 and $3 sets were showing up at Big Lots. Unbelievable. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping this isn't true and that all our Big Lots continue to gets new waves of DVD's. Of course, everything sounds (to me) like the lawsuit corresponds to our Big Lots blowouts so I really don't know what to think right now. I never imagined myself unknowingly buying stolen goods. Jeez. Of course, It's not our fault -- we are consumers, purchasing a product, and the blame goes on the people who had poor mismanagement for something like this to have occurred in the first place.
I feel the same way. I hope Big Lots continues to stock the dvds but if they don't, oh well, I guess the ride is over. I'm happy with the load of dvd sets I got a chance to purchase. I have a nice little collection now thanks to this. I should have something in my backlog to open and watch for some time now
Old 07-29-09, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the story turns out to be legit, then it explains the appeareance of the Best Buy exclusive of Appleseed steelbook at Big Lots. Still, I don't agree with what Warner did with this overstock, which is probably similar to what all the studios did with the HD-DVDs. It's sad and stupid that studios prefer to loss money by paying companies to destroy their unsold stock than to sell those to the masses at a minimal profit. Believe it or not, those DVDs bought at Big Lots at those cheap prices have cause great joy to a lot of people right now around the country. Those seasons sets, cartoons and films are a great distraction to many of the economic issues that are going on.
Old 07-29-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Just plain stupid that more could be gained overall by destroying these than selling them. At the very least why not keep them in the warehouses for 20 years until someone does buy them at the price they want to sell them at? What if this stuff goes out of print later?

It was speculated the same thing was going to happen to the unsold HD-DVD stock after the format died, since more money could be made writing it off than selling it- thankfully at least a good amount of cheap stock still got out, allowing me to build a good collection.
Old 07-29-09, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I think we might now know why all these sets are so cheap:
They were supposed to be destroyed!
Read the whole article here from The Hollywood Reporter!:

July 29, 2009
Warner Bros. lawsuit claims $10 million loss in brazen DVD theft

By Matthew Belloni

The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap.

The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Agoura Hills-based IWMB, Inc. and its president, Cal Jones, were subcontracted to dispose of the excess Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-Rays but intead hawked them to a third party who put them on the market at discount prices that significantly undercut legit retailers. At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product, which consists of unsold discs returned from vendors and defective goods. Here, WHV says it entrusted the product to Cinram Distribution, which has a deal with Warners to handle excess inventory (and which, surprisingly, is not a defendant). Cinram subcontracted with IWMB, which is alleged to have shown Warners a "fraudulent certificate of destruction" before going out and selling the DVDs and Blu-Rays on its own.

"The resale of the Warner Product at prices that undercut the prevailing wholesale and retail prices resulted in a substantial loss of revenue to WHV, believed to exceed $10 million," the complaint says. WHV alleges fraud, conversion and violation of California's business code. It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product.

Neither IWMB nor Jones could be reached for comment.

Warners is repped in the case by White O'Connor partners Andrew White and David Fink and associate Hajir Ardebili."
That just cracks me up... It didn't make sense to me even at $6 a pop. But when they hit $3, I was left scratching my head as I filled the shopping cart. This is not a good thing for Warner Bros. I am saddened that the treasure hunt is over but relieved that I won't be visiting any Big Lots locations until something else worthwhile lures me back.

Geesh, I hope that company isn't contracted to destroy confiscated drugs as well... one can only wonder.
Old 07-29-09, 08:17 PM

I went back to mine today and they had nothing new. I just went ahead and ordered Tales From The Crypt Seasons 4-6 from Amazon Marketplace. I ended up paying about $7 + shipping per set but it was worth it just to end the madness of looking for them! I'm sure that I will still go back, just not as often!
Old 07-29-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, I'm going to hit a couple of Big Lots tomorrow after work in hopes that I can find the remainder of my wishlist before everything is pulled (IF it gets pulled)!
Old 07-29-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
If the story turns out to be legit, then it explains the appeareance of the Best Buy exclusive of Appleseed steelbook at Big Lots. Still, I don't agree with what Warner did with this overstock, which is probably similar to what all the studios did with the HD-DVDs. It's sad and stupid that studios prefer to loss money by paying companies to destroy their unsold stock than to sell those to the masses at a minimal profit. Believe it or not, those DVDs bought at Big Lots at those cheap prices have cause great joy to a lot of people right now around the country. Those seasons sets, cartoons and films are a great distraction to many of the economic issues that are going on.
The Bestbuy exclusive comes with an exclusive ID book the one from Big Lots is the coomon steelbook release.
Old 07-29-09, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just plain stupid that more could be gained overall by destroying these than selling them. At the very least why not keep them in the warehouses for 20 years until someone does buy them at the price they want to sell them at? What if this stuff goes out of print later?

It was speculated the same thing was going to happen to the unsold HD-DVD stock after the format died, since more money could be made writing it off than selling it- thankfully at least a good amount of cheap stock still got out, allowing me to build a good collection.
Storage costs money. Why invest money in storing something that won't go up in value? That would be like hiding away UMDs and VHS tapes - they are worth less and less as the years go on.
Old 07-29-09, 08:27 PM

It baffles me that a company would pay another company to destroy something.

Hey, we already lost a bunch of money making too many DVD's. Why don't we loose a bunch more money paying to ship truckloads of DVD's and loose a bunch more paying someone to destroy them.

I must be in the wrong line of work.

I feel like the biggest trash digger right now...
Old 07-29-09, 08:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Cheap HD DVDs hurt Blu-ray. Why pay $20 for The Shining on Blu-ray when the HD DVD is $5? At this point, most HD DVDs are long gone. Only some boxes remain and those will be liquidated off eventually.
Old 07-29-09, 08:35 PM

St. Pete, Florida, hit 2 BLs. One had nothing, but I like what I got for $3 at the other:

Tracey Takes On Season One
Murphy Brown First Season
Perils of Penelope Pitstop Complete Series
Mission Hills Complete Series
War at Home First Season
Old 07-29-09, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ADP
... Honestly I like the old WB classics more than the sets thus far. Can't beat G-Men, Each Dawn I Die, The Roaring Twenties, and a few others for $3 when Amazon has them priced at $17.99 + shipping
I love(loved?) the $3.00 sets more, but I did pick up Caged! last Sunday for $3.00 ...Blurbs from the back of the dvd- "The best Woman's prison film ever made". "Will she come out woman or wildcat?"

http://www.amazon.com/Caged-Eleanor-Parker/dp/B000OHZJG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248917865&sr=1-1
Old 07-29-09, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by cracksky
Welcome to the madness!

Which stores did you hit in Richmond, VA? I mapped out a plan to hit the 6 main stores in the area soon (from D.C.) but if they don't have much I may scrap it for now.

There have been sporadic $3 boxes found at Woodbridge and Sterling and some more at District Heights, MD. No $10 sets in the area that I've come across.
Originally Posted by troubleman
Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie who loves this site!

What DVD box sets that are $3 and $10 have those of you in Virginia found in Big Lots, and in what location? I haven't seen any of them in Richmond.
Thank you for the welcome! Sorry for the late reply. I've been very busy.

I've gone to all of the Richmond locations, but they didn't have much. They had a few of the $3 sets. I hope that you find more than I did.
Old 07-29-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Still very bummed that I never found a copy of the Looney Tunes 1-5 set. I'm pretty sure I missed out on getting one by a couple of hours, too.

Crazy that all this surplus stock was just going to be destroyed though.
Old 07-29-09, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by xage
The Bestbuy exclusive comes with an exclusive ID book the one from Big Lots is the coomon steelbook release.
my appleseed had a bestbuy sticker on it and came with a comic.
We also got some movies 2 packs with walmart and sams club stickers
Old 07-29-09, 08:58 PM

The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Agoura Hills-based IWMB, Inc. and its president, Cal Jones, were subcontracted to dispose of the excess Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-Rays but intead hawked them to a third party who put them on the market at discount prices that significantly undercut legit retailers. At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

"The resale of the Warner Product at prices that undercut the prevailing wholesale and retail prices resulted in a substantial loss of revenue to WHV, believed to exceed $10 million," the complaint says. WHV alleges fraud, conversion and violation of California's business code. It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product.
Would this injunction be only against IWMB, Inc or would Warner Bros try to include Biglots, Rite-Aid, Kroger, Newbury Comics, etc?

By now these retailers must know they are selling stolen merchandise.

Hopefully these retailers should mark down these dvds and try to sell them as fast as they can before they are served with an injunction, if Warner plans on serving them.
Old 07-29-09, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jones
It baffles me that a company would pay another company to destroy something.

Hey, we already lost a bunch of money making too many DVD's. Why don't we loose a bunch more money paying to ship truckloads of DVD's and loose a bunch more paying someone to destroy them.

I must be in the wrong line of work.

I feel like the biggest trash digger right now...
The value to a studio is not the media used to record upon but the intellectual property that is recorded. Its no different than farmers dumping milk or burning produce rather than sending them to market and driving prices down.
Old 07-29-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wowsers... Well, that explains that. Might also explain why the latest batch never reached the floor here when we were one of the first (reported) to have a lot of them. Not sure if anyone had posted about the $10 sets before I did. Oh well, 3 squares and plenty of thinking time...

Bummer though.

Also... Destroy Kubrick? Blasphemy. Shame on you WB.

All of the Appleseeds that I have seen, and there were many, were indeed the Best Buy exclusives.
Old 07-29-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I think we might now know why all these sets are so cheap:
They were supposed to be destroyed!
Read the whole article here from The Hollywood Reporter!:

http://www.thresq.com/2009/07/warner...t-lawsuit.html

Apparently a subcontracted company entrusted to dispose of excess inventory instead turned around and sold them "to a third party" (I'm guessing this possibly could be Big Lots or whoever supplies them), so now Warner is suing them!!

EDIT: Here is the full article for those too lazy to click:

"July 29, 2009
Warner Bros. lawsuit claims $10 million loss in brazen DVD theft

By Matthew Belloni

The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product, which consists of unsold discs returned from vendors and defective goods. Here, WHV says it entrusted the product to Cinram Distribution, which has a deal with Warners to handle excess inventory (and which, surprisingly, is not a defendant). Cinram subcontracted with IWMB, which is alleged to have shown Warners a "fraudulent certificate of destruction" before going out and selling the DVDs and Blu-Rays on its own.

Neither IWMB nor Jones could be reached for comment.

Warners is repped in the case by White O'Connor partners Andrew White and David Fink and associate Hajir Ardebili."
What's really weird about this is that traditionally overstock/returns, etc are sold by the labels to cutout wholesalers who then sell them to retailers at a substantial discount from regular wholesale.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 07-29-09, 09:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

danvers, ma. After Rexxriot's post, I went back to look for the WB academy award winners, did not find it. picked up a smallville blu-ray s7, there was one more left. The Wonder Woman seasons 2,3 were still there and there were some roots 30th anniversary editions. The cashier told me someone came in yesterday morning and bought a cart full of stuff, multiples of the same titles, and had the big wonder woman set (complete??).

Methuen, MA, *edit -- whoops, that was Lynn, MA -- has a couple of blu ray nip tuck s4's. One of the workers offered to chack out back and came back with two boxes, but they were filled with some kind of trolls dvd with a toy.

Last edited by Ishouldknowbetter; 07-29-09 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I really don't expect BL to pull anything, & in fact I'll be surprised if we don't see more from this batch.
Old 07-29-09, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
What's really weird about this is that traditionally overstock/returns, etc are sold by the labels to cutout wholesalers who then sell them to retailers at a substantial discount from regular wholesale.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I was wondering about that too. Could it be that large traditional dvd sellers such as Bestbuy and Walmart have made their opinions known to Warner Bros? It definately disrupts the retail customer price points.

With Biglots selling season sets for $3, it really puts the Walmart $5 dump bin to shame....
Old 07-29-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by broyfan
Have been visiting my local biglots in portland, or a couple times a week now in search of blu rays and yesterday I showed up at 9am when they opened and they had 5 copies of smallville s7 on blu ray! Other good finds i picked up was the Wonder Woman Collection seasons 123 for $6. I found that odd because they had a wonder woman season 3 sitting there by itself for $6. Also found Justice League Collection. They also had several copies of smallville season 4 dvd, roots, life goes on, west wing, jamie foxx show and joey. So all who are after blu rays don't lose hope because they are still showing up in stores!
broyfan - are you hitting the Janzen Beach location? I hear that is the best one for dvds. I'm relegated to Mall 205 (usually abysmal selection, but better as of late) and Gresham (better than Mall 205, but a hot spot for hoarders, too).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.