Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Posted in Big Lots part 5 by BMVTOYS

"all this stuff came from a massive liquidation on part of WB. Its all store return items. Alot of it is walmart returns and Transworld stuff. Most of the "good" stuff came thru but the people whom gave it up still sat on the Hitchcock boxes and Superman LTD tin sets and such. There are other sets too like droopy and such, but time will tell if they will actually hit the big lots or not."

So that seems to indicate that some of the returns could show up in very limited quantity. Could explain a few copies of True Blood popping up.
Old 07-29-09, 01:47 PM

The Heath, Ohio BL had some Mill Creek re-stocks today. More John Wayne and Shirley Temple PD titles and WWII docus.
One new item is "Classic Game Shows & More", a 4-disc set chock full of '50s
and '60s game show episodes.
Included are THE PRICE IS RIGHT w/Bill Cullen, BEAT THE CLOCK, PLAY YOUR HUNCH w/Merv Griffin, QUEEN FOR A DAY, TREASURE HUNT w/Jan Murray and lots more.
Discs #3 and #4 also have some kids shows as well, like Pinky Lee, Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney and Rootie Kazootie. (I'm old and can't wait to check some of this out).

4 discs for $6.00
Old 07-29-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Congrats on "True Blood". Nice find, but I have to say that this is bullshit from HBO that these sets are already ending up in a store like Big Lots. It sure is a great find but I will make me think twice about getting an HBO show for $30 or $40 if they show up at Big Lots just 2 months later. That is like smacking the customer in the face. Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off. After a year or so fine, but not 2 months after it was released.

Dirk
I understand. I purchased the Powerpuff Girls Complete Series set for $50 and it's showing up for $3... and it just came out THIS YEAR. Absolutely ridiculous. I did feel, initially, VERY UPSET and insulted that WB would even consider doing such a thing. But then I calmed down because I realized the $3 price tag might generate new fans, or make old ones who had forgotten the show remember how great it is, and perhaps spark a form of viral marketing interest in others to purchase the set outside of Big Lots. Will that work? Who knows. But I'm happy knowing people found it that are fans of the series as it is a definite classic for animation fans. And for $3, it should make those people VERY, VERY happy customers.

And True Blood doesn't bother me at all, actually, because I own it on Blu-ray. If the Blu-ray set starts appearing for $6 though, we might have something to discuss.

That Smallville Blu-ray is another thing... as is the Tales from the Crypt sets which never go on sale anywhere and I'd purchased for around $15 each this year from third-party sellers before they showed up at Big Lots for the remarkable $3 price tag per season. I was able to help recoup some of my financial loss by trading/selling a few extra copies to forum members and that made me feel better - and, heck, The Flintstones showing up (I got all six seasons) made me become very forgiving and fast, but most of all I felt good that the Tales from the Crypt sets showed up near me in decent quantity so that my sister was able to get 2-6 for $3 each (she's also a huge fan of the show) - and I was able to trade an extra Flintstones S1 for her to get TFTC S1. So, in the end, I'm a happy shopper.

Last edited by GenPion; 07-29-09 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 01:53 PM

Nothing new in Sterling, VA but found a copy of the awesome doc 'Kurt Cobain - About a Son'...
Old 07-29-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
All the major trade-in spots are wise to the goings on at Big Lots. The best you can do is trade-in one copy only of certain items to DVDPlanet for store credit, but at a fairly low profit margin for most titles.
Not that I am suggesting everyone should (or can) do this, but I do know that there is one MOVIE store that you can STOP into and still get crazy amounts of credit well above and beyond the $3 you paid out of pocket for some of these box sets....they obviously are not yet too "wise" to Big Lots, or else they would not be giving $15 in store credit for a used copy of Popeye V1....again, this store is not (yet) a nationwide chain, but they do have at least 40 locations...
Old 07-29-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GenPion
.................. I realized the $3 price tag might generate new fans, or make old ones who had forgotten the show remember how great it is, and perhaps spark a form of viral marketing interest in others to purchase the set outside of Big Lots. Will that work? Who knows. .......................................................................................
Possible scenario but it could also go the opposite way and people don't but the shows anymore when they come out because they are waiting for the bargain price at stores like Big Lots. We will see. I am happy for everybody who got a great deal and I got some too, but I don't think I would have bought Lois & Clark or Wonder Woman if not for the $3 or $6 price.
Old 07-29-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
Nothing new in Sterling, VA but found a copy of the awesome doc 'Kurt Cobain - About a Son'...
Damn, something ELSE for me to look for now.
Old 07-29-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll be a part of Team DFW. We should probably start a separate thread for our own wants in this neck of the woods, since there seem to be enough of us that PMing back and forth would prove really tricky.
Old 07-29-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from BL ,nothing new and all the WB restock from Saturday is gone and all the animation sets are long gone it was pretty picked over I am wondering if they got anything in the truck for tomorrow?
Old 07-29-09, 03:48 PM

Possible scenario but it could also go the opposite way and people don't but the shows anymore when they come out because they are waiting for the bargain price at stores like Big Lots. We will see. I am happy for everybody who got a great deal and I got some too, but I don't think I would have bought Lois & Clark or Wonder Woman if not for the $3 or $6 price.
I very rarely buy anything on (or near) release date anymore. Like most others, I have a backlog of unwatched stuff, so I'm quite content to wait on a sale or pricedrop for just about everything.

That said, many of the titles I picked up at Big Lots are shows that I like, but that I wouldn't probably have bought without the incentive of these fire-sale prices. I'd already bought Adventures of Superman: Season one years ago in a sale (want to say about $15), but only bought that one season, as it was my favourite one and the only one I really, really had to own, but for $3.00, I decided to get the other "less-good" ones, too. Heck, I even bought some Dukes sets. Never would've bought those without this price incentive, since I wasn't a fan of the show anyway. Fan of Catherine Bach, though...

In a way, though this kind of makes me wish I'd waited on the stuff I already had, like Dastardly/Muttley and Wacky Races, but then again, if I did that, I wouldn't have had them 2-3 years ago when they came in handy for babysitting my nephew, so, it's no biggie. Instead, I bought a Big Lots copy of each to stuff in his Christmas stocking this year, so it worked out alright anyway.

__

One has to wonder what effect this massive dumping of stock will have on new titles, though. Will the DVD companies be scaling back on new releases? Will some things that would've been okayed for release now be held back for fear of not selling well enough? Food for thought.
Old 07-29-09, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I'll be a part of Team DFW. We should probably start a separate thread for our own wants in this neck of the woods, since there seem to be enough of us that PMing back and forth would prove really tricky.
If someone starts a thread I'll participate for Arlington/Mansfield/S. Dallas area. Sorry, at work or I would start it.
Old 07-29-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
I emailed Big Lots with "THE" sku and this is the response I received today-

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Big Lots Customer Care Department. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to help with your inquiry as the MEMOREX 25 PACK CDR (sku# 550015483) you are looking for is not currently available in CA. The majority of our merchandise is closeout merchandise and is constantly changing. Due to the nature of our business - buyouts, closeouts and special one-time buys - we must limit our sale to stock on hand and cannot place orders for the merchandise once it is gone. We strive to always offer fresh merchandise in our stores and online in order to create an exciting, bargain-hunting atmosphere.
It is possible that this item or a similar item may be available again sometime in the future.

Thank you again and have a nice day.
Customer Care Department
Big Lots Stores, Inc
Old 07-29-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, absolutely. Same here. Most of what I purchased I was unwilling to purchase because they were too expensive. At $3 to $6 each that sounds about right for most of it. For certain items, however, the pricing really is so awesome I'm surprised.
Old 07-29-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that really sucks getting burned so bad on the price. Its happened to everyone I figure, someone is bound to get something at a better price eventually unless it goes out of print or something. I'm just wondering how many out there paid full price for some of the dvds showing up at big lots now. I'm glad I waited on tales from the crypt for one, something I put off buying for a long time.
Old 07-29-09, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by U2Cowboy
If someone starts a thread I'll participate for Arlington/Mansfield/S. Dallas area. Sorry, at work or I would start it.
I'm game for this as well. I live in Coppell, but bounce between Denton and Dallas pretty regularly.
Old 07-29-09, 04:38 PM

The way I look at is that we NEVER know what's going to show up at BL. If we had our crystal ball several years ago we might not have bought series or movie X. One good thing about Tales from the Crypt and prolly Flintstones is that each episode is pretty much a stand alone one and I might not be so hot to get my missing season one (of both) or seven (of tales). Stuff like Lois and Clark might make me want them more, but in all truth those may stay shrinkwrapped as I don't know when I'll have time to actually sit down and watch them . It's been fun filling in some holes in the ole' collection though and you can't beat the price.

I'm more happy with the older WB stuff that was showing up in that first batch.

Originally Posted by statcat
that really sucks getting burned so bad on the price. Its happened to everyone I figure, someone is bound to get something at a better price eventually unless it goes out of print or something. I'm just wondering how many out there paid full price for some of the dvds showing up at big lots now. I'm glad I waited on tales from the crypt for one, something I put off buying for a long time.
Old 07-29-09, 04:40 PM

i saw that in stores recently as well.
but even a fan of nirvana- i found the film to be unwatchable.
Old 07-29-09, 04:49 PM

Hi all...

There's an old hollywood saying... when the studios do something you don't understand, follow the money, and their survival instincts.

DVD sales are very down due to the economy and places like netflix and redbox. Someone is seriously worried about their job, and the overstock they have of boxed sets that aren't selling and could be wasted money if DVD crashes....

SOOOO..... to prove that they are still 'the best there is' in their job, they got rid of all of that 'offensive' stock by shipping it off to the discount stores... Yay, they are a momentary hero to the bottom line, and have pissed off the masses... but why do they care, they won't have their jobs for much longer anyway!

With all of that said... I had very little luck at my local Big Lots....

Does anyone have an extra Blu-Ray smallville season 7, True Blood, Any flintstones seasons over 4, Popeye Vol. 1, Tales from the crypt Season 3+, Superman Serials...

I think I really care the most for Smallville Blu-Ray Season 7, Superman Serials, and Popeye Vol. 1...

Thanks for thinking of me!

Corellian
Old 07-29-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think we might now know why all these sets are so cheap:
They were supposed to be destroyed!
Read the whole article here from The Hollywood Reporter!:

http://www.thresq.com/2009/07/warner...t-lawsuit.html

Apparently a subcontracted company entrusted to dispose of excess inventory instead turned around and sold them "to a third party" (I'm guessing this possibly could be Big Lots or whoever supplies them), so now Warner is suing them!!

EDIT: Here is the full article for those too lazy to click:

"July 29, 2009
Warner Bros. lawsuit claims $10 million loss in brazen DVD theft

By Matthew Belloni

The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap.

The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Agoura Hills-based IWMB, Inc. and its president, Cal Jones, were subcontracted to dispose of the excess Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-Rays but intead hawked them to a third party who put them on the market at discount prices that significantly undercut legit retailers. At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product, which consists of unsold discs returned from vendors and defective goods. Here, WHV says it entrusted the product to Cinram Distribution, which has a deal with Warners to handle excess inventory (and which, surprisingly, is not a defendant). Cinram subcontracted with IWMB, which is alleged to have shown Warners a "fraudulent certificate of destruction" before going out and selling the DVDs and Blu-Rays on its own.

"The resale of the Warner Product at prices that undercut the prevailing wholesale and retail prices resulted in a substantial loss of revenue to WHV, believed to exceed $10 million," the complaint says. WHV alleges fraud, conversion and violation of California's business code. It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product.

Neither IWMB nor Jones could be reached for comment.

Warners is repped in the case by White O'Connor partners Andrew White and David Fink and associate Hajir Ardebili."

Last edited by WMAangel; 07-29-09 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea defective goods ,that is why all those Complete Roots had scratched discs they were probably meant to be destroyed.
Old 07-29-09, 05:31 PM

I guess we better go back to Big Lots and scoop up those Joey sets before they're gone!

Does that include those Warner $3.00 movies? Those were at Big Lots over a year ago.
Old 07-29-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

So I'm going to be on the yard for possession of stolen goods. When the other cons ask what I'm in for, I'll be too embarrassed to tell them that it was for an illegal copy of Top Cat.
Old 07-29-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

So I'm going to be on the yard for possession of stolen goods. When the other cons ask what I'm in for, I'll be too embarrassed to tell them that it was for an illegal copy of Top Cat.
Hehehehe Top Cat and Wacky Races....hehehehehe......."Sassafrassarassum
Old 07-29-09, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I think we might now know why all these sets are so cheap:
They were supposed to be destroyed!
Read the whole article here from The Hollywood Reporter!:

http://www.thresq.com/2009/07/warner...t-lawsuit.html

Apparently a subcontracted company entrusted to dispose of excess inventory instead turned around and sold them "to a third party" (I'm guessing this possibly could be Big Lots or whoever supplies them), so now Warner is suing them!! seems "the party is over" especially for the "resellers"

EDIT: Here is the full article for those too lazy to click:

"July 29, 2009
Warner Bros. lawsuit claims $10 million loss in brazen DVD theft

By Matthew Belloni

The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap.

The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Agoura Hills-based IWMB, Inc. and its president, Cal Jones, were subcontracted to dispose of the excess Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-Rays but intead hawked them to a third party who put them on the market at discount prices that significantly undercut legit retailers. At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product, which consists of unsold discs returned from vendors and defective goods. Here, WHV says it entrusted the product to Cinram Distribution, which has a deal with Warners to handle excess inventory (and which, surprisingly, is not a defendant). Cinram subcontracted with IWMB, which is alleged to have shown Warners a "fraudulent certificate of destruction" before going out and selling the DVDs and Blu-Rays on its own.

"The resale of the Warner Product at prices that undercut the prevailing wholesale and retail prices resulted in a substantial loss of revenue to WHV, believed to exceed $10 million," the complaint says. WHV alleges fraud, conversion and violation of California's business code. It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product.

Neither IWMB nor Jones could be reached for comment.

Warners is repped in the case by White O'Connor partners Andrew White and David Fink and associate Hajir Ardebili."
If this is true, then, this was a 1-shot deal. it actually makes sense that the movie indistry would rather destroy over stocked unsold product than to dump it so cheap that it de-values the market. and it does make sence because all of these big lots dvds are warner product. seems "the party is over" especially for "the resellers"

Last edited by jgorow; 07-29-09 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-29-09, 05:49 PM

"The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap."

destroy 2 million surplus DVDs ? destroy 2 frakking million DVDs ?!?!?!!? WTF ?

Just thinking of all those DVDs and Sets are being destroyed makes me dizzy.
God Almighty will strike you for that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.