Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Austin, TX seems to be tapped out of the $3 HB set assortments. Pharmer Ln, Round Rock, Spicewood Springs, Airport... NOTHING.

I called one location and they told me they had some stuff left but when I got there all they had was some Superfirneds single disc sets.
Old 07-28-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I hit 5 stores in the New Orleans area tonight and the only notable thing I found (and bought) was Super Friends Vol. 2, which was $6 for some reason instead of $3.
Some stores had a shitload of DVD's, just not much in the way of box sets. Only the usual shit nobody wants like Joey, West Wing, Dukes of Hazard, etc.
Originally Posted by mcfly
All of the SuperFriends sets I've come across have been $6, too.
That is correct. SuperFriends sets are part of the $6 sets sale from a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-28-09, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I avoid buying those 50 movie pack sets because all of the movies on them are public domain and you can download them all for free off archive.org.
Old 07-28-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Phibes
I wonder if there's a "$10 box set" ad coming out one day? Remember these $3 box sets were showing up far before the actual advertised sale.
This is a good thought. I think the big question is whether or not the stores will ever get enough of these at once to justify advertising them as a special sale.

If they get, say, 4-5 per store and advertise the sale hoping to bring in big crowds, look out...it could be worse than Black Friday stampedes.
Old 07-28-09, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That is correct. SuperFriends sets are part of the $6 sets sale from a couple of weeks ago.
Superfriends vol 2 is available in both shipments. The first shipment they are $6, in the second they are $3. (I just returned the $6 ones yesterday).
Old 07-28-09, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Razrbac77
You guys...wow. It's rather comforting to know that there are others...that I'm not the only psycho out there. So refreshing.

I discovered this site about a month ago, but aquired the BL addiction much earlier. I've been following closely, especially news of the $10, but no luck at my store.

Until yesterday.

You see, I'm on vacation for 2 weeks(beginning yesterday), so to kick things off, my girl and I planned a trip to St. Louis to see some Cardinals/Dodgers action. So I figured I'd use this event as an opportunity to treasure hunt. All weekend--I'm doing intel--I'm printing out maps--I'm on a mission.

The plan was to visit my store at opening, then move on to the other 4 as we make our way to the stadium. We walk in...Jackpot!!! All the $10 sets were out(although they appeared to be intentionally obscured by a display of High School Musical cereal). All this hype...I didn't know what to do! hahaha. Eventually, I came to my senses and got what I wanted. The euphoria still fills my brain.

We ended up visiting the other stores as well. Nothing. So...good thing. Plus, as a bonus, Cards win!!

I've yet to notice anyone speak of the Cape Girardeau Big Lots. This is a notice to anyone who frequents that store and this site to contact me....maybe we can join forces.
I would love to join forces with you.
If I could get some love on a Looney Tunes and a Super Bowl box set!!!
I live in St. Charles, MO and I think I've been to every big lots in the area except for the Kingshighway location.
Old 07-28-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There were no new DVDs on my local stores truck from yesterday. Zilch. And they condensed all the other $3 titles in with what was left of the old boxsets, so it's a giant mess. The assistant manager told me they've gotten several of those LT boxes in but one guy shows up every morning and has bought all of them thus far (something like 10 or 12). She herself was waiting for the Thundercats boxes, but they never got them at that store.

Oh well.
Old 07-28-09, 06:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Stupid second guessing myself. I spent the day putting up gutters at my grandmother's house and was tempted to stop at the Danvers, MA, store before I went over. I decided it would be a wasted trip. Then coming back around 1, I also decide stopping would be a wasted trip. So around 4 I say screw and go over anyway. And guess what? They had a bunch of new stuff.

They had a lot a $6 sets I hadn't seen there before:
ER
Dallas
Knots Landing
Friends
the Drew Carey Show
the Jamie Foxx Show
Roots
Blade
Wonder Woman (seasons 2 & 3)
Super Friends vol 2
Smallville season 4
Smallville season 7 (blu-ray)
football DVDs (I think it was Broncos maybe?)

For new $3 sets they had:
Everwood
Flintstones Seasons 2, 4, 6 (all unsealed, plenty of 2, two copies of 4 & 6)
Adventures of Superman seasons 2, 3/4, 5/6 (one copy each)
The Warner Bros Academy Awards set (2 copies)
Superman Theatrical Serials collection (3 copies)

I bought Blade, Super Friends, Flintstones 4 & 6, Adventures of Superman 2, 3/4, 5/6, the Academy Awards collection and the Superman Theatrical Serials collection (for trade). I can't help but wonder what I missed by not going earlier. I have a feeling I probably missed Adventures of Superman season 1, Flintstones season 5 and the Wonder Woman collection. However, who knows what they might have in the back.
Nice. I was there yesterday afternoon and did not see most of that stuff, so it was fresh this morning. I went to Nashua, NH and it was picked over. 1 popeye left, some flinstones, tom and jerry two packs and some old $6 sets. There is either stuff still coming in or it is all hidden out back. According to a previous post the truck should come through this part of New England on Wednesday.
Old 07-28-09, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from my local Big Lots and got:

Roots: The Complete Collection - $10
Lois & Clark: Season 3 - $3
Popeye: 1933-1938 - $3
Old 07-28-09, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by advdfreak
I just got back from my local Big Lots and got:

Roots: The Complete Collection - $10
Lois & Clark: Season 3 - $3
Popeye: 1933-1938 - $3
Where?
Old 07-28-09, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jones
Where?
Southern KY

They also had:

Larry King: Best Interviews
Murphy Brown
Tracy Ullman: Season 1
Looney Tunes Movie Collection
and all those 50 Movie Collection sets

They told me that their new ad starts tomorrow and to check back then they might have more.
Old 07-28-09, 06:49 PM

Tacoma WA here! I got ...

3 Bucks:
Tales from the Crypt S. 2-6
Lois and Clark S. 1-4
Jacques Cousteau River Explorations
Reel Talent: First Films by Legendary Directors
Dasterdly and Muttley Complete Series
Mission Hill Complete Series
Popeye 1933-1938

6 bucks:
Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Night Court S. 1
Nip Tuck S. 4

I'm hoping the $10 sets drop in our area soon!
Old 07-28-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Man Ive been to 2 my town and nothing. Can anyone hook me up with Popeye V1 & Huckleberry Hound? tHOSE are the only 2 sets I want
So no one here willing to help out?
Old 07-28-09, 07:28 PM

I went to 8 Big Lots last weekend in central FL & picked up:

Thundercats S1 V1 (1-6 disc) & S1 V2 (Disc 11 & 12)
Flintstones 1-5
Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm show
Blade the Series
Tales From the Crypt 1-4
Jacques Cousteau-River Explorations
Pinky & the Brain 1 & 2
Animaniacs 1 & 2
Popeye The Sailor 1933-1938
Batman vs Dracula (with 2 mini-figurines)
Batman-Tales of the Dark Knight & The Legend Begins (2-pack)
Appleseed Ex Machina

Still looking for Powerpuff Girls though.
Old 07-28-09, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by purplekitty
I went to 8 Big Lots last weekend in central FL
8 Big Lots! Wow! That's dedication! Twice as many as I!
Old 07-28-09, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by U2Cowboy
I'm done. Made a sweep of three new stores not too far out of my way. All they had was Popeye (with comic at least), Dukes and -- wait for it -- JOEY! Unless someone reports new shipments showing up, the only time I'm going back for a while is to return some leftovers.

yeah, I've pretty much decided to give up the hunt and resign myself that I'm not going to find a Looney Tunes set. If it shows up by chance at the BL 200 yards from where I work, ok. But, no nore driving to York, Harrisburg, and Reading PA to try and find stuff. IF the Universe wants me to have it, it will come to me. If not, I'll rent it from Netflix and burn it.
Old 07-28-09, 07:56 PM

Ravenous i have popeye 1 drop me a pm

b
Old 07-28-09, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Austin, TX seems to be tapped out of the $3 HB set assortments. Pharmer Ln, Round Rock, Spicewood Springs, Airport... NOTHING.

I called one location and they told me they had some stuff left but when I got there all they had was some Superfirneds single disc sets.

I picked up a Wonder Woman complete and Superman Season 1(George Reeves) set at the Peyton Gen location today.
Old 07-28-09, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
This is a good thought. I think the big question is whether or not the stores will ever get enough of these at once to justify advertising them as a special sale.

If they get, say, 4-5 per store and advertise the sale hoping to bring in big crowds, look out...it could be worse than Black Friday stampedes.
I don't know. The $3.00 sets officially started Sunday July 26th in the Dayton, OH area and I know some stores had nothing on the shelf that day. Seems to me the violence would have already been on the news if anything was going to happen about Big Lots stocking policies.
Old 07-28-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I emailed Big Lots with "THE" sku and this is the response I received today-

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Big Lots Customer Care Department. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to help with your inquiry as the MEMOREX 25 PACK CDR (sku# 550015483) you are looking for is not currently available in CA. The majority of our merchandise is closeout merchandise and is constantly changing. Due to the nature of our business - buyouts, closeouts and special one-time buys - we must limit our sale to stock on hand and cannot place orders for the merchandise once it is gone. We strive to always offer fresh merchandise in our stores and online in order to create an exciting, bargain-hunting atmosphere.
It is possible that this item or a similar item may be available again sometime in the future.

Thank you again and have a nice day.
Customer Care Department
Big Lots Stores, Inc
Old 07-28-09, 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=belar;9604024]Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
I heard a story on NPR this morning talking about how the collapse of the DVD market is putting the studios in a bind, with some on the verge of bankruptcy. QUOTE]

Probably just laying some ground work to get some stimulus money because the DVD market is just too big to allow to fail.
Old 07-28-09, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
I haven't seen any mention of $9 sets, but I found a shelf full of these today (Fairview Heights, IL).

They were all those 50 movie packs:

Family Fun 50 Movie Pack
Musicals Classics 50 Movie Pack
Suspense Classics 50 Movie Pack
Crime Classics 50 Movie Pack
Historic Classics 50 Movie Pack
Action Classics 50 Movie Pack
Chilling Classics 50 Movie Pack

...there may have been a couple more. There was one that was 80/90 movies that was something like Screen (or Hollywood) Legends. I didn't buy any, but thought someone may be interested in these.
Originally Posted by belar
How much were these going for? I've actually been wanting a couple of these packs, and Fairview Heights isn't too far from me.
Originally Posted by dino88

There were at least 5 copies of each, so you should be able to get what you want.
D'oh! I'm a doofus. Long day at work.
Old 07-28-09, 09:02 PM

I still have yet to find any of the Tales From The Crypt sets . I been to 3 different big lots several times over the last week and a half and nothing. Hopefully one of them gets a shipment soon.
Old 07-28-09, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by greyslade
8 Big Lots! Wow! That's dedication! Twice as many as I!
I made a round trip from Deland-Orange City-Sanford-Longwood-Casselberry-Orlando (Edgewater Dr)-Apopka-Eustis. My Big Lots joyride lasted 3 hours & probably cost me about $7.00 in gas but I guess it was worth it. It was like an scavenger hunt to figure out where the dvds are in different stores. No 2 stores are just alike.
Old 07-28-09, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by BYork
I agree with Belar. Even with media backup, I really don't want large segments of my movie collection at risk of a network outage and/or hard drive crash.

On topic: has ANYONE in California seen the $10 sets yet? (hoping "no", so I can believe they just haven't made it here yet....)
Haven't seen them yet in So. Cal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.