Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 6

I called first thing yesterday morning to ask if they had put anything new out, and she said they just put out some $3 sets. I got ready really quickly and drove over since I had the day off from work, and sure enough they had a bunch of stuff, freshly put out on the shelf.

My favorite find was the "Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection - 15 Winners, 26 Nominees" 3-disc set!
Old 07-28-09, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by U2Cowboy
My HPB is across the street from a Big Lots. Wonder if someone had the nerve ...
I was at HPB yesterday and saw the Roots box set in their "collectibles" case for $70.
Old 07-28-09, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot
I was at HPB yesterday and saw the Roots box set in their "collectibles" case for $70.
You should have asked them to pricematch.
Old 07-28-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Did you get yams at the gas station there?
No, the gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams.
Old 07-28-09, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnIan
It was mentioned pages ago.

"Superman: The Movie", the four disc edition.

Has anybody else seen this title recently?
Saw 3 copies at one BL. None at any of the other 12 stores.
Old 07-28-09, 09:18 AM

Well just got back from my nearest location and noticed something odd. A group of like 8 people waiting for the store to open. Didnt notice this when i waited for the store to open on saturday and Sunday.

Found out Tuesdays are the starting point of there ads. Which I found odd because they brought out all the $3 sets on Sunday. Than when i went Monday I reported all the sets were gone. Turns out they werent. They just moved them back into the back and brought them back out for today. No new sets from what i saw Sunday...so I just picked up trade fodder.
Old 07-28-09, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
You should have asked them to pricematch.

I just feel bad for the poor sucker who overpays for it and sees how badly scratched the discs are.
Old 07-28-09, 09:38 AM

does any know if items bought at one Big Lots can be returned to a different Big Lots if you have the receipt?

I may travel to a few other Big Lots further out to see if they got some new sets, and if they do I may return some sets I bought that i have copies of.
Old 07-28-09, 09:45 AM

Twas able to return something I bought at another BL at my local one. They just scan it in their computer and it should bring the transaction up.

My BL's ad always come in the paper on Tuesdays. I tried looking there twice yesterday (Monday), but I feel silly going again today (tues) as the staff is certainly starting to know who I am.

One guy even asked if I was making returns as he was gathering shopping carts in front of the store. I've been doing a lot of returns lately when I buy stuff in the heat of battle only to discover I have the box set the movie came from or have the season already.

Originally Posted by FlamedLiquid
does any know if items bought at one Big Lots can be returned to a different Big Lots if you have the receipt?

Found out Tuesdays are the starting point of there ads.
Old 07-28-09, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Phibes
Twas able to return something I bought at another BL at my local one. They just scan it in their computer and it should bring the transaction up.

My BL's ad always come in the paper on Tuesdays. I tried looking there twice yesterday (Monday), but I feel silly going again today (tues) as the staff is certainly starting to know who I am.

One guy even asked if I was making returns as he was gathering shopping carts in front of the store. I've been doing a lot of returns lately when I buy stuff in the heat of battle only to discover I have the box set the movie came from or have the season already.
why, thy shall thank you, good sir.

Old 07-28-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot

I just feel bad for the poor sucker who overpays for it and sees how badly scratched the discs are.
I originally bought "Roots" by itself because I was sure I'd never find the $10 set. When I did, I had already opened "Roots," but I looked through the Complete Collection and the only discs with what I would call "bad" scratches were from "Roots." So I switched out the scratched discs with my other set, and put the discs on a DVD spindle so they're not in the set to get scratched anymore. Then I returned "Roots," as thankfully when I bought it, the woman dropped it on the ground and told me if there were any scratched discs I could return it.
Old 07-28-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FlamedLiquid
Yes, in my experience.
Old 07-28-09, 10:12 AM

Yes its the 2 movie set. Its kind of rediculous them calling it the movie collection when on the back it says its just the first and 3rd movies. That implies theres atleast a 2nd movie they left out.

Originally Posted by Phibes
I'd imagine that it's not the Golden set, but the two movie set. Don't tell me that I'm now going to have to start going to Wal-mart daily too!! .

Old 07-28-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
It was mentioned pages ago.

"Superman: The Movie", the four disc edition.

Has anybody else seen this title recently?
This has gotten overshadowed by all the good deals on sets. As far as individual movie titles, this has been one of, if not the best, find out there in my opinion. I've only found one copy in my visit to dozens of stores which I picked up as a gift for someone else.
Old 07-28-09, 11:07 AM
Banned

Willing to pay $5.00 each and send postage/shipping supplies for...
- Adventures Of Superman: The Complete 5th And 6th Seasons
- Jetsons: The Complete 1st Season
- Tales From The Crypt: The Complete 1st Season
- Tales From The Crypt: The Complete 7th Season
- Magilla Gorilla: The Complete Series
- Mission Hill: The Complete Series

And if found for $3.00... (if found for more PM me I might still be interested)
- Looney Tunes Movie Collection
- Looney Tunes: Golden Collection Volume 6
- Stanley Kubrick Collection
- ThunderCats: Season 1, Volume 2
- ThunderCats: Season 2, Volume 1
- Wonder Woman: The Complete Collection

PM me if you have any for sale. I would trade but my local stores have all dried up!

Last edited by dkedvd; 07-28-09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 11:28 AM

The Kubrick collection is $10 if I remember correctly.
Old 07-28-09, 11:34 AM
Cool New Member

has anyone seen the superbowl I-X set at any big lots?it has the black bar across the side of it.im wondering because thats the only one i cant find.
Old 07-28-09, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by jsz1002
The Kubrick collection is $10 if I remember correctly.
You are correct.
Old 07-28-09, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by retroa166
has anyone seen the superbowl I-X set at any big lots?it has the black bar across the side of it.im wondering because thats the only one i cant find.
Thats the only 1 that hasn't been confirmed!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Willing to pay $5.00 each and send postage/shipping supplies for...
- Adventures Of Superman: The Complete 5th And 6th Seasons
- Jetsons: The Complete 1st Season
- Tales From The Crypt: The Complete 1st Season
- Tales From The Crypt: The Complete 7th Season
- Magilla Gorilla: The Complete Series
- Mission Hill: The Complete Series
you might as well just buy some of these off amazon if you're that desperate looking. I picked up tales from the crypt season 1 from there for $9 (which would be about how much you're willing to pay for it) just to finish off my collection.
Old 07-28-09, 12:20 PM

I've seen absolutely no restock in over a week. The deluge may be over here in Toledo. The last time the shelves were relatively full of box sets was last Monday. I only see a few Josies, Larry Kings, Traceys, and Joeys.
Old 07-28-09, 12:31 PM

You guys...wow. It's rather comforting to know that there are others...that I'm not the only psycho out there. So refreshing.

I discovered this site about a month ago, but aquired the BL addiction much earlier. I've been following closely, especially news of the $10, but no luck at my store.

Until yesterday.

You see, I'm on vacation for 2 weeks(beginning yesterday), so to kick things off, my girl and I planned a trip to St. Louis to see some Cardinals/Dodgers action. So I figured I'd use this event as an opportunity to treasure hunt. All weekend--I'm doing intel--I'm printing out maps--I'm on a mission.

The plan was to visit my store at opening, then move on to the other 4 as we make our way to the stadium. We walk in...Jackpot!!! All the $10 sets were out(although they appeared to be intentionally obscured by a display of High School Musical cereal). All this hype...I didn't know what to do! hahaha. Eventually, I came to my senses and got what I wanted. The euphoria still fills my brain.

We ended up visiting the other stores as well. Nothing. So...good thing. Plus, as a bonus, Cards win!!

I've yet to notice anyone speak of the Cape Girardeau Big Lots. This is a notice to anyone who frequents that store and this site to contact me....maybe we can join forces.
Old 07-28-09, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by retroa166

Yup, I saw two a few weeks back before those whole thing went nutso. They had floaters so I passed. I did pick up XXI-XXX & XXXI - XL boxes though. This was in central Cali.
Old 07-28-09, 01:05 PM

I just got back from Costco, where they had the Kubrick set for $34.99 and Warner TV box sets for $19.99.

Somehow, that doesn't seem as good of a deal as it would have been a few weeks ago...
Old 07-28-09, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Razrbac77
You guys...wow. It's rather comforting to know that there are others...that I'm not the only psycho out there. So refreshing.

I discovered this site about a month ago, but aquired the BL addiction much earlier. I've been following closely, especially news of the $10, but no luck at my store.

Until yesterday.

You see, I'm on vacation for 2 weeks(beginning yesterday), so to kick things off, my girl and I planned a trip to St. Louis to see some Cardinals/Dodgers action. So I figured I'd use this event as an opportunity to treasure hunt. All weekend--I'm doing intel--I'm printing out maps--I'm on a mission.

The plan was to visit my store at opening, then move on to the other 4 as we make our way to the stadium. We walk in...Jackpot!!! All the $10 sets were out(although they appeared to be intentionally obscured by a display of High School Musical cereal). All this hype...I didn't know what to do! hahaha. Eventually, I came to my senses and got what I wanted. The euphoria still fills my brain.

We ended up visiting the other stores as well. Nothing. So...good thing. Plus, as a bonus, Cards win!!

I've yet to notice anyone speak of the Cape Girardeau Big Lots. This is a notice to anyone who frequents that store and this site to contact me....maybe we can join forces.
Are you kidding me? Ugh. Which store?

By the way, I headed down to the Lemay Ferry store over lunch and picked up:

Dastardly & Muttley
Josie & The Pussycats
Birdman & The Galaxy Trio

They also had:

Lois & Clark S1
Agatha Christie
Jacques Cousteau

Multiple copies of all of the above.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.