DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-27-09, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

I was becoming very discouraged that I could not find any 10$ sets at my Big Lots here in Lorain Ohio. I went in there though this past friday and located them all on an endcap up top of all places and most were hidden behind the sign stating the price. These things were very hidden. Upon approaching I found it was stocked with everything.

12-15 Roots sets 10$ kind
2 Looney tunes vol. 6 marked at 3$ each
1 looney tunes box set 1-5
2 kubrick collections
and 2 America's game superbowl collections

Then I went to the Big Lots in Elyria Ohio thinking they might be on an endcap and sure enough THEY WERE. They were hidden away in a different section of the store. SO they are out there people, you just have to search around.

Any other word on the HBO sets? Anyone else spot them? Deadwood and Trueblood?
Old 07-27-09, 06:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by conehead433
Thanks for the heads up fsujosh. I would definitely grab the Johnny Quest and the Tales From The Crypt seasons I didn't manage to get today. The last time I drove to Tallahassee was sort of a bust as I managed to only find one of the $6 sets I wanted. It's really only worthwhile if I can manage to pick up at least a few titles on the trip. The last time I spoke to a clerk at the Tallahassee store he suggested that they were understaffed and it was sometimes the best they could do to get stuff out and on display a day or so ahead of an advertised sale. I'll wait and see what my store has on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Post what you find later this week. Thanks.
How many Mission Hills did you have at your location? I would love to score one, but I don't think I'm up for 50 minute drive. I drove to Thomasville GA last Friday and it was a bust as well. Luckily I scooped up 15 sets today. The only thing that bothers is me is that 2 employees told me to come back Weds because that's when they get their shipments. Of course I go in today not expecting anything and they're there.
Old 07-27-09, 06:30 PM

Has anyone hit up that Big Lots in Colonie NY in the past few days? I pass through that area from time to time.
Old 07-27-09, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Hit my three locals around St. Louis. Nothing new box set wise beyond Tracy Takes On & The Ben Stiller Show for $3 each.

Does Lemay still have Joey? You think I'm joking but I'm not. In about 2 weeks I return to work out there and plan on stopping by, but I'm not driving 25 minutes just to get Joey for $6 (or is it $3).
Old 07-27-09, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgorow
hiding prime titles somewhere else in the store is actually a good idea, the employees wont find them and return them to the dvd section until a later time which will hopefully give someone that really wants them for themselves a better chance of getting them. if a reseller wants to comb through the whole store to hopefully find a couple of box sets that are hidden behind the boxes of corn flakes, let them! make them work for the little bit of money they are gonna make. scatter them all over the store, make them go on a scavenger hunt.
?????

Do you really think that hiding them is going to make it easier for "the people who really want them" to find them?

Unless you're saying that someone will just stumble upon them while reaching for the Corn Flakes and say, "Hey, look! Here's some Flintstones cartoons for $3".

I guess it's possible, but I just don't see it as likely unless you put them in the toy dept. or somewhere like that. I don't know that someone buying garden rakes is that focused on Hannah-Barbera.
Old 07-27-09, 06:46 PM
Banned

Just for fun, my wife & I decided to take a road trip to the largest major city near us (several times a year, we go to shop, hit thrift stores & pawn shops, eat out, & trade in some books at a huge used bookstore). We decided to stop along the 100-mile route to hit every Big Lots along the way (a total of 4 plus the 3 in the city...plus another in the next town beyond the larger city). It was actually like a treasure hunt...some stores had bunches of $3 sets, others had absolutely nothing. Not much $10 stuff..a few had some Roots collections (one had about 20 copies) & found one NFL set, too. Hardly any store had the same items or seasons in stock (except for seeing lots of Popeye, Top Cat, & Seasons 1 & 3 of Flintstones). Managed to get copies of almost everything on the list except the animated Superman 1/Batman 1 set, so it was a very successful trip.

The next day I stopped back in at the BL in our town (there are 3 others in adjoining towns in our area that weren't part of the Road Trip). Walked in, saw that the table was picked clean of the sets that were there the day before, and started to turn around & leave when I spotted some big sets sitting on top of a display farther down the aisle. Heart started pounding at the size of one of the sets. Heart almost stopped when 3 large college-age buys started walking by the display. Sweating stopped when they walked by display without a glance. Tried to walk (not run) to the area. Found the following:

Roots (already had it);
NFL Superbowl 40-disc set (already had but got for a friend);
Stanley Kubrick st (got both of them);
and the grand purchase of them all....
the huge IMAX set (only one available).

While checking out, told the cashier I was really happy to find them (she knows me by now) & mentioned that I still hadn't found one. When she asked & found it that it was the Looney Tunes set, she said that a lady had bought one about 2 hours earlier. Later on, I realized that there were the small 2-movie Looney Tunes sets on top of the display, so that might be what she was talking about. At any rate, I doubt that the big set lasted long...the design really attracts attention.

Searching for items at BL can be frustrating, but if you have access to enough of 'em, you'll eventually find a lot of good stuff.

P.S. Made a big circuit today of the 4 in our area just in case some good stuff got put out yesterday or today. All four stores were entirely picked clean except for a few season one sets of Animaniacs & Pinky. Of course, saw a few 1st wave sets (Joey, O.C., West Wing) along with a bunch of Tracy Takes On at one store. Amazing how fast the word gets around.

Haven't read all of the great resale debate comments, but would like to add one thing. The presumption that seems to be made by many is that anyone who buys multiple copies of anything is "robbing" fans who will never get the sets at a bargain price. To me, that fails to take into account gift sets, picking up an extra for a friend or relative who will gladly reimburse, etc. It also seems to assume that everyone who might want the set knows about the sales or is a frequent customer of Big Lots.

If a reseller buys three copies of a $3 set, keeps one & sells the other two for $10-$15 each to customers who are glad to get the set at a bargain price (compared to Best Buy, etc.), how are customers being 'robbed'? Unless BL had a way of limiting sales to one copy per customer...which would be hard to do if a customer comes back for repeat visits...there is no guarantee that everyone looking for the lowest price will find them at that price...just as with any items that are limited in quantity. I see it this way: Some people who have only a marginal interest in a set may pick it up "because it's cheap", whereas they wouldn't pay $10-$15. On the other hand, those who gladly pay that price & feel lucky to get it for what they see as a bargain price are probably a better indication of the true fans who really want the set. I see it as a win-win: the reseller makes a good profit for his/her time, gas, & effort, and the customer saves a lot of money. What's wrong with that?

I'm not enthused when I go to get a super bargain & it's already sold out, but I don't badmouth the people who got there before me. For all I know, they're some of the same people who offer some of these items at reduced prices on the internet where I find many bargains.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-27-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about something...are these sets only located in the Electronics Department or are they elsewhere within the store? I'm just wondering where specifically to look when I go to these places. I only managed to find these sets in what they refer to as their Electronics Department but if there are other areas in the store to search for them, let me know. I appreciate it.
Old 07-27-09, 06:52 PM

I noticed a warning printed on the cartoon boxes I purchased yesterday. I purchased Popeye and the Academy Award Cartoon dvds and on the back of each it states "Intended For Adult Collectors. May not be Appropriate for Children." Has anyone else notice this? What is appropriate, G-Force the movie?
Old 07-27-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Keith123
Here is an incomplete quickie list of some sets found in the last week
or two I gathered previously at some point in this thread-

EVERYTHING below $3.00 each at Big Lots unless otherwise noted-

THE HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SHOW
SUPERMAN (George Reeves), TV Season 1,2, 3/4, 5/6
SUPERMAN THEATRICAL Serials Collection (1948 & 1950 shows)
JONNY QUEST, Season 1
TOP CAT, Complete Series
LOIS & CLARK, Seasons 1, 2 and 3
TALES FROM THE CRYPT, Seasons 1, 2,3,4,5,6, 7
MURPHY BROWN, Season 1
POPEYE, Volume 1 1933-1938
Wacky Races complete series
(TWO pack) Batman animated Season 1 plus Superman anim season 1
Flintstones Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (some are found not sealed)
Josie & the Pussy cats complete series
Looney Tunes- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy
Awards Animation Collection -just $3.00(?)
Space Ghost & Dino Boy
Birdman
Pebbles & Bamm Bamm complete series
PowerPuff Girls BOX set- complete series (6 dvd's) yes, $3.00 !
Boxed set of the first 5 Looney Tunes Golden Collection
for $10.00 has Volumes 1 through 5 plus pins of Bugs, Daffy etc.
Looney Tunes volume 6 (not sure of price, $6.00 ???)
That's a hell of a haul Keith and let me know if you come across other HB sets as well. I have a listing of what I'm looking for on a previous page or two.
Old 07-27-09, 06:54 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

All I managed to find in my local BL was some 'Joey', 'Night Court S1', 'West Wing S2' and the usual movies. No $10 sets from what I could see.
Old 07-27-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rmw650
I'm curious about something...are these sets only located in the Electronics Department or are they elsewhere within the store? I'm just wondering where specifically to look when I go to these places. I only managed to find these sets in what they refer to as their Electronics Department but if there are other areas in the store to search for them, let me know. I appreciate it.
1 of the 2 nearest stores to me has the $6 & $3 sets by the groceries and the regular DVDs by Clothes which are near the Electronics section.
Old 07-27-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JediJames2
So, question. If it says my store gets deliveries on Wednesday, does that mean they put the new items out on Wednesday, or do they get the stuff Wednesday and put out the next day, Thursday? Thanks!
It drastically varies from store to store. They don't appear to have policies on this. Also, the trucks don't always come on the day they're scheduled.
Old 07-27-09, 07:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fsujosh
How many Mission Hills did you have at your location? I would love to score one, but I don't think I'm up for 50 minute drive. I drove to Thomasville GA last Friday and it was a bust as well. Luckily I scooped up 15 sets today. The only thing that bothers is me is that 2 employees told me to come back Weds because that's when they get their shipments. Of course I go in today not expecting anything and they're there.
I think there were multiple copies. After some research it's a title I'll be buying for myself. I'll grab an extra one for you. I make it to Tallahasse once or twice a month so we could work out a swap. I'll check out your post in the exchange thread.
Old 07-27-09, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650
That's a hell of a haul Keith and let me know if you come across other HB sets as well. I have a listing of what I'm looking for on a previous page or two.
Ha, no, I'm not that lucky. That was just a refresher list of titles I've seen in the thread to help the one person asking and others to help create their own want list...I should have worded it differently, my fault..
Old 07-27-09, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by chuck07
I noticed a warning printed on the cartoon boxes I purchased yesterday. I purchased Popeye and the Academy Award Cartoon dvds and on the back of each it states "Intended For Adult Collectors. May not be Appropriate for Children." Has anyone else notice this? What is appropriate, G-Force the movie?
Well, things have changed since 1930.
Things that were acceptable back then are frowned upon now.
Old 07-27-09, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by D'ohboy
Well, things have changed since 1930.
Things that were acceptable back then are frowned upon now.
Yeah, imagine a pipe smoking childrens cartoon icon nowadays.
Old 07-27-09, 07:39 PM

Finally got some $3 titles today......in SUNNY SOUTH FLORIDA

Picked up 2 Complete sets of Lois and Clark (1-4)
Batman vs Dracula w/Figures
Popeye from the 1930s
Veronica Mars S 2

They also had Flintstones S 2 and 3 (All Open)
Penelope Pitstop
Larry King Interviews
Mission Hills
Old 07-27-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Just want to throw in a to the mods for helping to get this thread back on track.
+1

These threads close pretty quick due to size, and don't lend themselves to non-bargain discussion favorably.

Fitchburg, MA had a great amount of stock yesterday...

Tales from the Crypt Seasons 1-5
The Adventures of Superman Seasons 2 and 3/4
Veronica Mars Season 2
The War at Home Season 1
Superman Theatrical Serials
Popeye
The Flintstones Seasons 2-5 (Some sealed, some not)
Everwood Season 1
Birdman & the Galaxy Trio
Dastardly and Muttley
Josie and the Pussycats
Pebbles and Bamm Bamm
Lois and Clark Season 1-3

Milford, MA had a small restock

Veronica Mars Season 2
Tracy Takes On Season 2
Lois and Clark 1-3
Batman TAS/Superman TAS Seasons 1
Popeye

Last edited by MrSmearkase; 07-27-09 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the first day in about three weeks that I didn't make a trip to Big Lots.
Old 07-27-09, 07:54 PM

I hope one of you DVDTalkers was in the Turfland Big Lots in Lexington, KY about 45 minutes ago. Let me start at the beginning...

Its 8:15 PM and think that I need a new grill brush (I know, any kind of excuse) so I decided to run up to Big Lots and see if there is any new DVDs they have put out since 10 AM this morning when I was last there. When I walk in there is a guy in the checkout line holding the Looney Toons Box Set (I assume that what it was because it was huge and had Looney Toons characters all over it.) I debated on going over to ask where he found it or just head for the DVD shelf. I took the latter. Got to the shelf and ....nothing. Well, it looked like more stuff than was there earlier, but I think it was just messier.

So I hope that it was one of you who was buying the box set and not some guy who is headed home to list it on eBay right now. I'm glad he didn't have more than one in his hands or I might be on my way to jail right now.

I asked the manager about the set when I checked out with my $2 grill brush. She didn't seem to care about my question and looked at me kinda like my wife looks at me when I talk about DVDs. Anyway, now I just have to wonder how many sets they had, and what other sets they had. What if I had decided I need a grill brush at 8:05 PM instead of 8:15...
Old 07-27-09, 08:05 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
+1

These threads close pretty quick due to size, and don't lend themselves to non-bargain discussion favorably.

Fitchburg, MA had a great amount of stock yesterday...

Tales from the Crypt Seasons 1-5
Veronica Mars Season 2
The War at Home Season 1
Superman Theatrical Serials
Popeye
The Flintstones Seasons 2-5 (Some sealed, some not)
Everwood Season 1
Birdman & the Galaxy Trio
Dastardly and Muttley
Josie and the Pussycats
Pebbles and Bamm Bamm
Lois and Clark Season 1-3

Milford, MA had a small restock

Veronica Mars Season 2
Tracy Takes On Season 2
Lois and Clark 1-3
Batman TAS/Superman TAS Seasons 1
Popeye
I agree, let's stay on topic. Danvers, MA still had popeyes, flintstones and war at homes. There was one jacques cousteau river oddysies. Some tom and jerry two packs and superfriends two packs and tracey takes on.

MrSmearkase, any sitings of Kung Fu (s2,s3) in your travels? or space ghost?
Old 07-27-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
MrSmearkase, any sitings of Kung Fu (s2,s3) in your travels? or space ghost?
That's a negative on both, sorry.
Old 07-27-09, 08:09 PM

Went by the Fort Smith, Arkansas store again this afternoon. Nothing much left but West Wing S2, Night Court and Joey. Our ad breaks on Wed. the 29th here so I'm hoping they'll be a restock tomorrow or Wednesday.
Old 07-27-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My local store here in S. Oklahoma had a small restock since Saturday. I finally found a complete run (Seasons 1 - 4) of Lois & Clark, and grabbed a few assorted H-B cartoons. I still haven't seen any Looney Tunes.
Old 07-27-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bcink
I hope one of you DVDTalkers was in the Turfland Big Lots in Lexington, KY about 45 minutes ago.
Christ...

No, wasn't me. I'm a scrawny white dude with shaggy hair though for future reference. There's pics on my MySpace if you have one of those.

If it makes you feel any better, even though I wasn't going to stop there today, I had to be in that vicinity around 1:00 for lunch. So, of course, I stopped. I didn't see it anywhere or anything new for that matter but the vultures were buzzing around the DVDs.

My last planned Lexington check will be tomorrow evening and possibly Wednesday morning... Your post got me thinking a little though. Wonder if he found it somewhere else in the store other than the usual DVD spots... Grrrr.

Wasn't just you and I that missed it though, I was going to grab it for someone here since I'm not really interested in it and have way too much to spin at this point.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 07-27-09 at 08:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.