Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

By far two of the best sets I have watched from Big Lots over the weekend have been
Iwo Jima 36 Days of Hell
WWII in color, the were both made by timeless video at $4 a piece.
Does anyone know the names of other titles by timeless media? If I had known these would be this good I would have picked up the others in the series as these were blind buys.
Old 07-26-09, 02:17 PM

I think there were several other similar WW2 titles at my BL in Eau Claire WI when I went this weekend.

I will check the next time I am there.
Old 07-26-09, 02:46 PM
Banned

Here is a little piece of information that many may find interesting.

One of the stores I visited this morning had set a limit of 10 DVD sets per person. Finally, at least one store has listened to the complaints of people buying everything in sight and has decided to do something about it.
Old 07-26-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Im not so sure if you got some, I went there around 9am to 11:30am zone yesterday...

Originally Posted by lovgun7
im going on another Big Lots Tour

Van Nuys [3 copies of Appleseed Ex Machina Steelbook & left a Dented Damaged One there ]
NoHo Sherman Way
NoHo Vineland

Maybe
Reseda [got 4 copies of Batman/Superman Season 1-2pack bundle] [3 copies each of S3,S4,S5,S7 Tales From The Crypt]
Pacoima[got all - around 2 & 3 copies each of S1, S2,S3,S6,S7 of Tales From The Crypt-Lucky to those who see one there which I think I wiped out]

Off to Culver City/Torrance/Santa Monica Now!!

These are good giveaways come halloween!

Last edited by xage; 07-26-09 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 03:09 PM

Sets were put out this morning in San Francisco:

my haul:

Adventures of Superman Season 2
Adventures of Superman Seasons 5/6
Lois & Clark 3
Lois & Clark 4
Top Cat
Wacky Races
Jonny Quest (only two available)
Flintstones s2,3,4,5
Pebbles and BamBam
Popeye Vol 1 (many many sets avail)
Veronica Mars Season 2
Superman Animated Season 1
Kitty Foyle

Passed on Everwood and Tales of the Crypt sets. Disappointed they didn't have Josie - I wanted that one.
Old 07-26-09, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

District Heights, MD:

I was there this morning and found almost nothing new in stock . They had very limited quantity of Lois & Clark (maybe only 1-2), Joey S1, West Wing S2, Dukes of Hazard S5, Popeye vol 1, War at Home S1, Flintstones some seasons (not sure which one,sorry). No more Adventures of Superman (Reeves) and TFTC (I believe they had some TFTC before couple days ago, at least season 2,3,5). I did saw Scooby Doo Movies 3-pack green boxset (only one and I didn't take it) and some other 2-pack Scooby (i.e. meets Batman).

Didn't want to leave with nothing, I managed to find the last copy of Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 Years of Greatness with Bonus Disc.

Maybe better luck next time...........
Old 07-26-09, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by js097
Passed on Everwood and Tales of the Crypt sets. Disappointed they didn't have Josie - I wanted that one.
Give it some time and I am sure you will start seeing them. My local stores were flooded with copies of Josie and many other titles such as Tales from The Crypt 3-5, Top Cat and the Flintstones when there had been none seen here before today.

On a side note. I was beginning to think I would never see Tales from the Crypt but managed to get seasons 3-5 (2 copies of each) after I decided to fight fire with fire and battle the resellers head to head. I got mine, well some of them anyway. I remain hopeful that I will find seasons 1,2,6,7 of Crypt eventually. They were all gone in minutes. I am sure they (not mine) will show up on eBay soon.

Hint, the next time you are in your local Big Lots and you are in need of seasons 3-5 of Tales from the Crypt. Look in the toy section behind the board games. I had more than I wanted in my cart after the grabbing frenzy to get my copies so I left them for others to find. I won't say exactly which stores (multiple) because I like to keep the resellers and hoarders guessing so lets call it an easter egg hunt.

BTW. Has anyone checked the prices for the individual seasons of Crypt on Amazon or eBay lately? They are falling like a rock as the tide comes in.

Last edited by wvtechs; 07-26-09 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 03:45 PM
Tap

Originally Posted by Misery
Picked up a few $3.00 box sets:

Veronica Mars S1
Not season 2?
Old 07-26-09, 04:08 PM

So is big lots gonna start letting people check for items stock online? That's cool. Should save me some gas money instead of relying on the luck of the draw.
Old 07-26-09, 04:11 PM

i keep striking out on the $3 and $10 boxes (which i have yet to see) BUT WANT.

saw a couple seasons of DEADWOOD and Babylon 5, that werent out yesterday- but they are marked $6 each

only new $3 one i saw was Dane Cook Tourgasm, but i went home empty handed

my son is big football fan, been looking for the $10 NFL super bowl set at 5-6 stores now
Old 07-26-09, 04:24 PM

Stopped by Westland, MI this morning, which was completely picked over.

Proceeded north to a comics show, featuring--of course--one dealer with all of the Big Lots sets for sale.
Old 07-26-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wvtechs
Here is a little piece of information that many may find interesting.

One of the stores I visited this morning had set a limit of 10 DVD sets per person. Finally, at least one store has listened to the complaints of people buying everything in sight and has decided to do something about it.
Sorry, but I think that's silly. I admit that I am not a fan of someone buying every copy of a title just to ebay it, but I accept it. As for the limit, if someone can find 10 or more dvd sets they want for their collection, great. I bought over 35 different sets/movies in the last two weeks for my own private collection. On top of that, I picked up an additional 4 titles for a friend at work. I don't think I ever had more than 10, but I think one time I had 10 on the nosey. It would have been stupid if I had 11 DVDs and had to put one back. I mean this is Big Lots after all and these are products that are being dumped by the studios. Personally, I think people who are buying multiple copies to sell to make a couple of bucks are wasting their time, but it's their time and dime.

Last edited by Pizza; 07-26-09 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added Popeye V1 w/Bonus Vintage 1936 Popeye Comic

My local library hits Big Lots in a big way. It seems like whenever there's a big wave of new stuff at Big Lots, almost everything shows up on the new shelf at the library. I think that's pretty cool, actually. That's putting tax dollars to the maximum use.

I noticed they skipped Joey, so far, though.

Last edited by beebs; 07-26-09 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
Sorry, but I think that's silly. I admit that I am not a fan of someone buying every copy of a title just to ebay it, but I accept it. As for the limit, if someone can find 10 or more dvd sets they want for their collection, great. I bought over 35 different sets/movies in the last two weeks for myself. On top of that, I picked up an additional 4 titles for a friend at work. I don't think I ever had more than 10, but I think one time I had 10 on the nosey. It would have been stupid if I had 11 DVDs and had to put one back. I mean this is Big Lots after all and these are products that are being dumped by the studios. Personally, I think people who are buying multiple copies to sell to make a couple of bucks are wasting their time, but it's their time and dime.
Ditto.... how about limiting customers to 1 or 2 copies of each title? Although there's also the issues of buying them as gifts which I do sometimes so this isn't an easy issue. Something to dissuade the resellers. I swear, if I see any hoarders on my trips, they will be getting an earful from me.
Old 07-26-09, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pizza
Sorry, but I think that's silly. I admit that I am not a fan of someone buying every copy of a title just to ebay it, but I accept it. As for the limit, if someone can find 10 or more dvd sets they want for their collection, great. I bought over 35 different sets/movies in the last two weeks for myself. On top of that, I picked up an additional 4 titles for a friend at work. I don't think I ever had more than 10, but I think one time I had 10 on the nosey. It would have been stupid if I had 11 DVDs and had to put one back. I mean this is Big Lots after all and these are products that are being dumped by the studios. Personally, I think people who are buying multiple copies to sell to make a couple of bucks are wasting their time, but it's their time and dime.
Don't shoot the messenger. I agree that it is a flawed solution and that limiting the quantity of each title would be much better but it is a start.
Old 07-26-09, 04:43 PM

After two weeks straight of hitting 8 different stores, I finally have collected:

Flintstones S1-S6 (these were for my son)
Tales From the Crypt S1-S6 (these were for my girlfriend)
Adventures of Superman S1-S6
Warner Bros. Academy Awards Collection
Huckleberry Hound
Top Cat
Josie and the Pussycats
Popeye
Dr Who: Claws of Axos
Wacky Races
Dastardly and Muttley
Perils of Penelope Pitstop

It wasn't easy finding most of it, in some cases I got the only copies. Only things I still hope to find are Mission Hill and Powerpuff Girls. Guess I'll keep looking but have to limit the trips, spent a lot of gas!

Last edited by sabata; 07-26-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 04:57 PM
Cool New Member

question

I am still missing a fair amount of stuff from the current Big Lots DVD wave. Things like Birdman, Yogi, Magilla Gorilla, & Superman serials.

I have a question for those who have been getting DVDs at Big Lots longer than I. How long should I keep looking for these DVDs in the stores?
Will these keep trickling out or once the wave of new DVDs hits the store are they done getting these titles?
Old 07-26-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

La Riviera Dr @ Watt Ave in Sac has a bunch of Top Cat, Jonny Quest, Huckleberry Hound, some Tales From The Crypt (not all of them), and a couple Birdman and Josie and Everwood S1- got Season1 of Superfriends, disc 2 is 2-sided and actually has printing on both sides!
Old 07-26-09, 05:14 PM

Re: question

Originally Posted by Will M
I am still missing a fair amount of stuff from the current Big Lots DVD wave. Things like Birdman, Yogi, Magilla Gorilla, & Superman serials.

I have a question for those who have been getting DVDs at Big Lots longer than I. How long should I keep looking for these DVDs in the stores?
Will these keep trickling out or once the wave of new DVDs hits the store are they done getting these titles?
One example - A lot of Bond movies came into the stores a few months ago, then were there again for a Fathers Day promotion, and just this last week my store in Eau Claire WI got another few in.
Old 07-26-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten all that I've wanted at the three Big Lots around here, all except for Dukes Seasons 3 and 4 and Veronica Mars Season 1.

Since these are from the prior TV set shipment, is there any chance that the stores will get them in again? It can get pretty tedious driving around for an hour to all of the stores.
Old 07-26-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the stores I visited this morning had set a limit of 10 DVD sets per person.
What store was this?
Old 07-26-09, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigjim25
What store was this?
I prefer not to say for obvious reasons.
Old 07-26-09, 05:40 PM

I prefer not to say for obvious reasons.
probably one in West Virginia
Old 07-26-09, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kbarkerok

saw a couple seasons of DEADWOOD
great, another one to hunt for.
Old 07-26-09, 05:58 PM

Yes they are wasting their time. What do you really make off of these? $1-$3 profit? Ridiculous. Way to much hassle with shipping and waiting for bidders etc.

I'm buying these to watch and keep, unlike hoarders.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.