Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

I've been waiting forever to get Crypt DVD's. I remember Amazon had them for 10 each a couple years ago. I really hope I find some of them at my Big Lots
Old 07-24-09, 12:30 AM
Banned

All they will do if they start offering online ordering is make it easier for the resellers to by everything with a few mouse clicks. It sucks to have drive from store to store but at least we have a chance this way.

Originally Posted by Kent2000
I'm probably hoping for more than is possible for Big Lots, but I'm intrigued by the "Incredible Changes coming July 29th", according to the email they sent with their new ad:

--
"Whether you're shopping online or looking for something to buy in the store, it will be simpler to find what you're looking for. New features and more online selection make your shopping experience quicker and easier than ever before.

Shop the way you want without logging in.

Quickly navigate entire departments to find exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks to a simple check-mark icon and a more advanced search, you can narrow your choices to find just what you're looking for."
--

Oh man, if this means we'll be able to order specific DVD titles and/or arrange in-store pick-ups right off the web site, then I know a lot of bank accounts that are gonna be depleted! It would definitely beat the time and expense of visiting multiple stores on a daily basis to find that one elusive title (no, not you, Joey!)

Any thoughts on what these "incredible changes" might really be?
Old 07-24-09, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I remember when they hyped up their "Deal of the Day" available online. It wasn't anything all that impressive as it turned out (at least in my opinion). As far as ordering DVDs online thru Big Lots, it seems like it'd be impossible since we can all testify that every store gets different titles.
That's what I'm thinking. The text makes it sound (to me) like a dream come true, but I'm in agreement that Big Lots couldn't possibly make such a system work. Hell, it's not even a fullproof system at a store like Best Buy.
Old 07-24-09, 12:37 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
thanks for the info! a bit far from where i am...

luckily though, i went back to the big lots in rowland heights, CA and they had restocked! was able to pick up s1-4 or lois and clark and seasons 3/5 of tales from the crypt. also picked up the seemingly sole copy of veronica mars s2.

they had a lot more of the hanna barbera shows like wacky races/top cat/pebbles and bam bam, etc. and quite a few adventures of superman seasons left. didn't pick any of those up. will probably hit some other big lots tomorrow night and hopefully they'll have put out the discs for sunday's ad earlier since i work sunday morning and can't get them then.

i'm just glad some so. cal stores are getting these titles! i've been to probably around 6-8 big lots in the area several times in the last week to week-and-a-half and they've generally been bare, so it was a pleasant surprise to finally find titles i wanted... now to find the rest of the tales from the crypt and superman/batman animated... and looney tunes! although at this point, i almost want looney tunes just for the thrill of finding it and not because i actually want it... but if i see it, i'll probably pick it up for trading. i'd prefer a dvdtalker to get it than some reseller
SCORE! yeah, I'm glad to finally see some here too. I'll be making the rounds again tomorrow to see if I can find those Tales From the Crypt! I'm hunting for the Looney Tunes for the same reason you are really. I'll watch it for sure but it wasn't on my list at all til I heard about it on here for $10. The hunt is fun especially when you finally get a payoff!!
Old 07-24-09, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

I went to Big Lots without seeing this thread and got somethings but after reading this I have been wanting to go more, which is hard when you cant drive yet but today I got some great things! Well
Day #1 I got
The Fog (New one)
The Squid and the Whale
White Noise (W/Slipcover)
Slither
Snakes on a Plane
Digimon the Movie
Animaniacs Vol 1 and 2
Pinky and the Brain Vol 1 and 2
Scooby Doo 5 Movie pack
God the Devil and Bob

Day #2 I got
Tales from the Crypt Vols 1-5
The Flinstones Season 2
Veronica Mars Season 2
Seed Of Chucky

Today I got:
At Big Lots #1
PowerPuff Girls The Complete Series x2
EverWood Season 1
Top Cat
Dastardly & Muttley
Wacky Races
Flinstones Seasons 3,4,5
Mission Hill
Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show
Josie and the Pussycats
The War at Home
FireWall
White Noise 2
As Told By Ginger - The Wedding Frame
Rugrats - Snow White Movie
Rugrats All Grown Up - O'Brother, All Grown Up and Loving It, Dude, Wheres My Horse
Rocket Power Island of the Menehune
Big Lots #2
Wonder Woman the Complete Series
Tales From the Crypt #6 x2
Sweeny Todd
Full House season 5,6
Six Feet Under Season 3
Big Lots #3
Tom and Jerry double Pack - Shiver My Whiskers, Blast off to Mars
Ghost Ship
Lady In The Water
The Return
PollyWorld
Gothika 2 disk SE
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
Pleasantville
The Preils of Penelope Pitshop
The Woods
Anacondas
Superman Returns

Most of the TV shows I have never seen, i've only seen Full House and the Powerpuff Girls but for 3$ and my mom said the shows are good why not try them!

The 1st and 2nd big lots I went to had a lot of the Tales of the Crypt #1-5, and the other shows that come up a lot like Joey, West Wing Some Friends a TON of Flinstones #2 Lois and Clark and Superman
Old 07-24-09, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Are the $10 "megasets" going to be in their print ad? If they are it seems like they should have a good number of them, unless they say something like "quantities extremely limited".

This is getting ridiculous- I used to hit these stores maybe once a month, now I've been going to at least one every day! Got Tales From The Crypt 3 & 5 today, now have to find the rest. It made me late for work too since some bitch in front of me was buying about $300 worth of sheets and stuff, and they of course only had one register open. The cashier was even making conversation with her and telling her about sales coming up- of course by the time it was MY turn, she didn't tell me a goddamned thing!
Old 07-24-09, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Are the $10 "megasets" going to be in their print ad? If they are it seems like they should have a good number of them, unless they say something like "quantities extremely limited".

This is getting ridiculous- I used to hit these stores maybe once a month, now I've been going to at least one every day! Got Tales From The Crypt 3 & 5 today, now have to find the rest. It made me late for work too since some bitch in front of me was buying about $300 worth of sheets and stuff, and they of course only had one register open. The cashier was even making conversation with her and telling her about sales coming up- of course by the time it was MY turn, she didn't tell me a goddamned thing!
Maybe she noticed you were not interested in deals on 'sheets'

Old 07-24-09, 02:38 AM
Banned

Last edited by wvtechs; 07-25-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 03:33 AM

as soon as morning hits i'm making another big lots run. i get paid today so i'll have some cash. i really want that kubrick box set, the looney tunes set, and some batman.
Old 07-24-09, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Since they get in so many Sony movies, I wonder if they'll ever get some of their old unsold Blu-Ray stock? I picked up one of the very first releases (50 First Dates) just to have it, but would like to have more of the first wave of titles without paying a lot. I guess they won't be getting in any HD-DVDs, since they probably don't want to deal with people complaining that they don't play on their Coby home theater system.
Old 07-24-09, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by bmello
That is some dedication....
Hah... not too much, because I manage another big box retail store just around the corner.
Old 07-24-09, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
drewz,
Did you see any of the Thundercats box sets (not the2 disc ones)? And did they have a good bit of Season 4 of Lois & Clark? I'll be hitting up that store on Saturday and i'm hoping to score those sets.
I'm not sure of the quantities left, but I'm pretty sure they had more Lois & Clark season 4s when I left. And there were Thundercats box sets.

If you'd like me to pick any of them up for you on my lunch break today, assuming there are any left, send me a PM.
Old 07-24-09, 05:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by drewz
Hah... not too much, because I manage another big box retail store just around the corner.
Think of the benefits you would have if you were the manager at Big Lots.
Old 07-24-09, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Wow, that is a good find. Especially since there was no 5th season for Lois and Clark(!)

LOL. Well, I did say that they were all still hidden in my car... and I was still a bit wound up from the adrenaline high. Or maybe I have a collector's item!
Old 07-24-09, 06:20 AM

great lol now i have to go to big lots every other day to see if i can find what i want in that 3 dollar sale
Old 07-24-09, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
[I]You want to SELL, SELL, SELL? Then get JOEY, JOEY, JOEY!
ProfessorEcho, you sir are an evil genius. I salute you! Pip, pip.
Old 07-24-09, 07:42 AM
Cool New Member

picked up tales from the crypt 3 & 5 at South High st location...did not have much else, but some flintstones....(of course, not the one I deen (season 5)

Hope to find the rest of the crypt series. That show reminds me of my 13 year old late night watching habits./

Last edited by guitardedboy; 07-24-09 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-24-09, 09:39 AM

Picked up Tales from the Crypt 3, 4, and 5 last night in Aurora, CO. They were pretty much the last copies available. I had season 6 in my hand but decided against it. Would rather have 1 or 2 instead. What a freaking bargain! As others have said, don't know why I ever held off buying these but I am glad I did.
Old 07-24-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Portsmouth put out their meager stock this morning, not too much to get excited about. Apparently they only received 5 boxes: (about 20 copies to a case)
Popeye V1
Trolz ? Some kids crap
The War At Home S1
Tracey Takes On... S1
The Flintstones S2 (all unsealed)

that was it, crap in a hat Hopefully they will get more on the truck next week.
Old 07-24-09, 10:37 AM

Yesterday, I came into work and found that a work crew was removing the wall next to my desk. So I took the day off, and hit the four BLs in the area.

South Huntsville: Nothing (but looks like there is room for more stuff to be put out)

North Huntsville: Nothing

Decatur: They had restocked since Sunday, with some of the earlier WHV box sets. No HB other than the old Scooby-Doo Collection, and some twinpacks. They did have one copy of Six Feet Under S2, though.

I bought:

The Big Stampede (The John Wayne Collection)
Rock and Roll High School
(which I forgot to pick up Sunday)
Tracey Ullman: Live and Exposed

(BTW, I now have 5 of the six films John Wayne made for WB in 1932-33. Has anyone seen Somewhere in Sonoma at BL yet?)

Athens: Looks like I arrived too late. Lots of empty space on the racks and bin. The clerk told me that the DVDs had been swarmed over earlier in the week by people buying up stuff for "Christmas presents." At least I hope that's what was happening. I told her that dealers were hitting BL in hopes of flipping titles. She did tell me that a new truck was arriving today, and to call to see what they got.

I wonder if it would be worth the effort.

Anyway, I left with:

The Horse Soldiers
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
(for trading purposes)

Dear God, this is getting to be depressing. The dealers are taking all the fun out of the hunt. Up until now, I've pretty much been able to find close to everything I wanted. Now I feel like I'm wasting my time.

So am I the only person in Alabama on this thread?
Old 07-24-09, 10:41 AM

bah, didn't see anything i really wanted. they had a lot of war boxset stuff and a new cardboard display of mgm titles but nothing really noteworthy or that i hadn't seen before :/ i am the sad
Old 07-24-09, 10:41 AM

No I'm from Bama but I'm no where near the Huntsville stores.
Old 07-24-09, 11:21 AM
jet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopped by BL Bristol, CT and Torrington, CT today. Bristol had many Flintstones sets for seasons 3,4,5, Popeye V1 and a few other things. Scored at Torrington, they had Tales From the Crypt 1,2,3,4,5,6 which I bought (they had a couple copies of each). They also had I believe all seasons of Flintstones. I think I saw 1,2,3,4,5, and maybe 6 (if there is one). Sorry, wasn't too interested in them and didn't pay much attention. They did have a few copies of Josie and the Pussycats, Superman Vols 2 and 3 (Reeves), about 8 Popeye, Wacky Races, Topcat, a few Jacques Cousteau, OC S2, Night Court, Larry King Best Interviews, some Superfriends, and others I can't remember.

John

P.S. I also believe Torrington had the elusive Joey set many of you are looking for. Neither store has the $10 sets and both said they don't think they will be getting any as they knew nothing about them which makes me sad.
Old 07-24-09, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Since they get in so many Sony movies, I wonder if they'll ever get some of their old unsold Blu-Ray stock? I picked up one of the very first releases (50 First Dates) just to have it, but would like to have more of the first wave of titles without paying a lot. I guess they won't be getting in any HD-DVDs, since they probably don't want to deal with people complaining that they don't play on their Coby home theater system.
coby (lol), its sony guts (lol) just ask the zohan!
Old 07-24-09, 11:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Big Lots store in Griffin, Georgia had multiple copies of...

Joey: Season 1
West Wing: Season 2
Nip/Tuck: Season 4
The War At Home: Season 1

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.