DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-29-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
I haven't seen any mention of $9 sets, but I found a shelf full of these today (Fairview Heights, IL).

They were all those 50 movie packs:

Family Fun 50 Movie Pack
Musicals Classics 50 Movie Pack
Suspense Classics 50 Movie Pack
Crime Classics 50 Movie Pack
Historic Classics 50 Movie Pack
Action Classics 50 Movie Pack
Chilling Classics 50 Movie Pack

...there may have been a couple more. There was one that was 80/90 movies that was something like Screen (or Hollywood) Legends. I didn't buy any, but thought someone may be interested in these.
Those hit Washington State last week.
Old 07-29-09, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a Big Lots deal, but while at Rite Aid tonight, I saw they had Welcome Back Kotter S1 for $9.99. Considering how all the previous Warner Bros. Sets that were on clearance at Rite Aid (Lois and Clark, Murphy Brown, Veronica Mars, etc) showed up later at Big Lots, I have a feeling Kotter will be one of the next titles to show up at BL, hopefully for $3.
Old 07-29-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bwsmom View Post
Okay, this truly cracked me up! Here we all are, trying desperately to get the sets we're all drooling over, doing everything we can to outspend, outsmart and outlast the hoarders, and what happens... you end up in direct competition with another DVDTalker! Yikes!!!
Dude, such shit happens...

I end up bumping with some members here in Bestbuy and "that 4yrs ago great TARGET Fiasco"... thank God not yet in Big Lots

Old 07-29-09, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by xage View Post

I end up bumping with some members here in Bestbuy and "that 4yrs ago great TARGET Fiasco"... thank God not yet in Big Lots

is that true blood a joke? i have yet to hear about that showing up.
Old 07-29-09, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph_Furley View Post
What store did you see the Deadwood Sets at?
Its Biglots
Nice.

Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
I think he means...which Big Lots (city, town, or street).
TY.
Biglots - Pacoima City (Scary Place ... a lot of gangsters... heck even their sales associates got a lot of gangsta tatoos)
Thanks. Drag though. Even for Deadwood, I ain't driving to Pacoima. Too far from me. I'll wait and hope my local ones get them in.
Old 07-29-09, 03:55 AM

Hey Xage! Nice to see that you're still around.

In which Big Lots did you find Deadwood?
Old 07-29-09, 04:11 AM

Is the True Blood set a joke like someone asked? If not that is going to be the new grail of Big Lots finds along with the Kubrick and Loony Tune sets.
Old 07-29-09, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
From reading this forum for months, it appears to me that limited stuff (Woody Allen Boxes, Looney Toons Boxes, etc) is most likely to end up in the eastern part of the Midwest (Ohio for one, which I BELIEVE is BL headquarters??) & the northern east coast.
I'm in Toledo, and I've never spotted the Woody Allen boxes (which I would have snagged), and I personally know of the existence of only 2 Looney Tunes boxes (one bought about an hour before I got to one Big Lots, the other purchased by a fellow dvdtalker). I also never saw "City of Lost Children", which I would have picked up in a heartbeat.
Old 07-29-09, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
From reading this forum for months, it appears to me that limited stuff (Woody Allen Boxes, Looney Toons Boxes, etc) is most likely to end up in the eastern part of the Midwest (Ohio for one, which I BELIEVE is BL headquarters??) & the northern east coast.
Well, at least there's one advantaged to living in that budget crunching, job losing state after all!
Old 07-29-09, 07:04 AM
Cool New Member

I'm within driving distance of about 4 stores that I check periodically in Columbus.

I think the well is drying up....no new boxsets.....Will frequent this thread to see if action starts up again. But my obsession of driving to Big Lots has to stop, or my deals won't be deals with all the gas money I'm spending.
Old 07-29-09, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by guitardedboy View Post
I'm within driving distance of about 4 stores that I check periodically in Columbus.

I think the well is drying up....no new boxsets.....Will frequent this thread to see if action starts up again. But my obsession of driving to Big Lots has to stop, or my deals won't be deals with all the gas money I'm spending.
Seems that way to me also. Over the past couple days, I've been at the Chillicothe, Circleville, Lancaster, Heath and Newark Big Lot stores and they've all been pretty much picked over.
Old 07-29-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pretty much all but frikkin joey is left at the local stores and have been replaced with a bunch of Nick/Disney tv show dvds for 4$ a piece.
Old 07-29-09, 08:18 AM

Oh noes! I read somewhere that Joey is going to be a valuable collector's item and I was going to hoard all that I could find! Oh the humanity! My get rich scheme has been quashed. I could've been back on top again! Well, if I wasn't getting an all expenses paid vacation in a government facility.

Mad as hell about Joey,
Bernie Madoff

Originally Posted by terrycloth View Post
pretty much all but frikkin joey is left at the local stores and have been replaced with a bunch of Nick/Disney tv show dvds for 4$ a piece.
Old 07-29-09, 08:20 AM

I don't know....The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies, The War at Home, and Tracy Takes On.... seem to be giving Joey a run for his money around here.
Old 07-29-09, 08:24 AM

Congrats on "True Blood". Nice find, but I have to say that this is bullshit from HBO that these sets are already ending up in a store like Big Lots. It sure is a great find but I will make me think twice about getting an HBO show for $30 or $40 if they show up at Big Lots just 2 months later. That is like smacking the customer in the face. Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off. After a year or so fine, but not 2 months after it was released.

Dirk
Old 07-29-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Congrats on "True Blood". Nice find, but I have to say that this is bullshit from HBO that these sets are already ending up in a store like Big Lots. It sure is a great find but I will make me think twice about getting an HBO show for $30 or $40 if they show up at Big Lots just 2 months later. That is like smacking the customer in the face. Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off. After a year or so fine, but not 2 months after it was released.

Dirk
I don't understand how that could even be possible. Were the sales for that set truly that abysmal they would be clearanced out already?!

Like others were saying, if anyone in the DFW area would like to form some kind of team, I would be willing. I normally hit up these stores daily:

Centerville in Garland, Hwy 78 Garland, and the new Rowlett location on 66. Pm me what you are looking for and I'll get it if I see it.
Old 07-29-09, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
I don't understand how that could even be possible. Were the sales for that set truly that abysmal they would be clearanced out already?!

Like others were saying, if anyone in the DFW area would like to form some kind of team, I would be willing. I normally hit up these stores daily:

Centerville in Garland, Hwy 78 Garland, and the new Rowlett location on 66. Pm me what you are looking for and I'll get it if I see it.

I just feel that HBO is laughing at me for spending hard earned money on a show that they almost give away 2 months later. It's just frustrating.
Old 07-29-09, 09:46 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off. After a year or so fine, but not 2 months after it was released.

Dirk

I feel your pain.
3 months ago I bought the Superman Serial DVD at a convention for 20 bucks...The vendor had it @ 22. He did throw in Godzilla 2000 for free. Now I know why. I was just glad I finally got the title.

I did not see that DVD title @ BL until a few weeks ago.

Been using BL for some time for filling in the collection with re-current titles and with these sets @ 3-10 dollars makes adding to the libary easy on the wallet.
Old 07-29-09, 09:53 AM

Personally, I think HBO is putting older sets at Big Lots and threw some True Blood's in as viral marketing for the show since these Big Lots sales have caught on like wildfire.
Old 07-29-09, 10:01 AM

I wondered, since the WB sets are Wal-mart returns (or have so been speculated), if that some HBO returns accidentally got mixed in with the WB stuff. I'd love to get Deadwood for $3 as I've heard much good things about the show but have balked at how much they cost. I did see a Six Feet Under S3 during my weekend BL quest, but passed on it.

Originally Posted by sg86 View Post
Personally, I think HBO is putting older sets at Big Lots and threw some True Blood's in as viral marketing for the show since these Big Lots sales have caught on like wildfire.
Old 07-29-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only HBO set I've seen is Six Feet Under S3 and many stores have 5+ copies. They must have WAAY overproduced that set.
Old 07-29-09, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Phibes View Post
I wondered, since the WB sets are Wal-mart returns (or have so been speculated), if that some HBO returns accidentally got mixed in with the WB stuff. I'd love to get Deadwood for $3 as I've heard much good things about the show but have balked at how much they cost. I did see a Six Feet Under S3 during my weekend BL quest, but passed on it.
One of the Louis & Clark sets I bought had the Best Buy exclusive comic book inside. So some come from Best Buy.

Dirk
Old 07-29-09, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by guitardedboy View Post

Yah, I'm a bit burned out too on all the driving. I only went to one Big Lots yesterday- Huber Heights, OH and that was to return a couple DVD's! That was weird, returning instead of buying. Their $3.00 DVD sets were very much thinned down. I had been visiting that store a lot in the last week and a half trying to be there on the day the $3.00 sets hit. I was told by one employee on my last Thursday visit that they did not have any $3.00 sets ever delivered to the store. I missed going there last Saturday to check anyway and...of course, that is when all the $3.00 sets were put out! I still got some good stuff Sunday morning but I was told that one customer "had gotten a big cart full of stuff Saturday".

Still, scraps of good stuff can be found. My sister, at the Airway/Woodman st. store yesterday, found the Batman Animated Season 1(4 discs) and the Superman animated series One two-pack for $3.00 and she was able to get 2 qty's of that two-pack. When I was there Sunday on the day of the sale, it was a barren wasteland of $3.00 sets.
Old 07-29-09, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
Actually the sales for the set have apparently been amazingly high.
I really dont think that even if True Blood was found it wasnt on purpose. Maybe some kinda fluke.
Old 07-29-09, 10:52 AM

There's no possible way True Blood has shown up at BL. It's one of HBO's highest selling T.V. box sets. Deadwood? Maybe. True Blood? NO WAY.

I want to see that receipt.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.