DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 6 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/558692-big-lots-part-6-a.html)

Chop2Chip10 07-23-09 09:11 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by yellahoosh (Post 9592467)
Went to the Merced, CA store - there were a few scant $3 boxsets including a ton of copies of some reject sitcom (sorry, name escapes me), 1 copy of Larry King greatest interviews, 2 copies of Josie and the Pussycats, and 1 cartoon boxset from the 70s (name also escapes me). Either they didn't have much of a shipment or hoarders have struck again - although I doubt this in this area.

Merced? I am up in Turlock. Only Big Lots up here that has gotten new shipment is on Hatch Road...well I haven't tried the others this week. I work about 2 minutes from the Hatch Road shop and have gotten there often to a restock every day or two. I would assume the other stores are waiting until Sunday?

seans515 07-23-09 09:11 PM

Found a new batch of 3$ movies.

Monster in law (2-disc)
Dangerous ground
The upside of anger
From most honered to most wanted
The Hidden
After the sunset
Surviving the game
The corrupter

DeepSleep 07-23-09 09:14 PM

Here is the ad for this Sunday's flyer (July 26th).

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7...315biglots.jpg

ProfessorEcho 07-23-09 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 9592133)
A report from the two Chicagoland area stores I went to this afternoon and it's as follows:

Niles, IL - Absolute junk as all they really had there were DOH Seasons 5 & 6, Looney Tunes Movie Collection for 10 bucks, War at Home S1 and Murphy Brown S1 and some movies here and there but the pickings were so slim there.

The LOONEY TUNES were gone faster than The Flash after a night of bad baked beans. At least according to my brother who is hitting the suburban Chicago Big Lots. The clerk said they sold out almost immediately. What a revoltin' development, as a guy named Riley used to say.

drewz 07-23-09 09:16 PM

Okay, after years of reading and loving the forums here, I'll delurk for this thread...

After going into the Lafayette, LA Big Lots every day for the last 2 weeks, today was finally THE day.

I stopped in around 9:30 am this morning on the way to work and found the first five seasons of Tales From the Crypt, seasons 4 and 5 of Lois & Clark, Jonny Quest, the first 2 seasons of the Flintstones and Batman vs Dracula on the wire rack. I grabbed one of each of those and then wandered through the store and encountered an employee with a shopping basket full of DVD sets. I politely asked if I could look through them and pulled out Popeye, season 5 of the Flintstones, Murphy Brown, Tracy Takes On and Life and War at Home.

Then the employee said, "I have more in the back. Would you like to see them?" She went in the back and brought out single copies of what she had. I added the first and 3rd/4th seasons of the George Reeves Superman, Penelope Pitstop, Wacky Races, Huckleberry Hound, Appleseed Steelbook, and seasons 4 & 5 of the Flintstones. There may have been something else... my lists will not be complete, because I'm scared to bring the bags in from my car because my partner will KILL ME!

Ok, so then I got off work at 7 and, on impulse, stopped by again...

OH MY GOD!

I spent another $180. Suddenly all of the $6 sets that haven't been in the store were on an entire endcap by the electronics section. I'll post a list tomorrow once I've sorted through, but pretty much almost everything that's been mentioned in the $6 threads was there... and I bought a copy of most of them.

Lastly, there were no $10 sets. And I met a couple who were also buying DVDs who asked me "dvdtalk forum?"

Sorry to be long winded, but thanks so much to all of you for all of the reporting that lead to my big haul.

Oh, and after feeling like I'm been lurking around Big Lots for the last couple of weeks, I have to say that all of the employees I met there today were incredibly nice and were not hoarding at all. They were actually getting excited about the dvd's I was buying because they hadn't noticed them.

I'll post a complete list tomorrow. And my total spent today was $260. Yikes!

g 07-23-09 09:20 PM

All the Joeys were sold at my store. The one that hangs around are the 2 Dukes of Hazard seasons that are less popular.

Drake 07-23-09 09:25 PM

What is funny with some of you finding the DVDs in the Electronics area is that the clerk told me that the boxes of DVDs arrive in boxes marked Electronics.

My store never puts them in Electronics they are always up front near the registers.

cranberries fan 07-23-09 09:35 PM

Well today was better than the other day are second store in the area got over 100 $3 box-set.

Here is what I got:
Huckelberry Hound Show
Space Ghost & Dino Boy
Dastardly & Muttley
Adventures of Superman Season 1,2 and 5/6 (I need that 3/4)
Batman and Superman Animated (2-pack) of season 1 of each show.

bmello 07-23-09 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by drewz (Post 9592489)

After going into the Lafayette, LA Big Lots every day for the last 2 weeks, today was finally THE day.

That is some dedication....

Randy Hassan 07-23-09 09:47 PM

multiple seasons of Lois and Clark, multiple seasons of Tales from the Crypt, one lonely Veronica Mars S2, lots of Top Cat sets, a couple copies of Murphy Brown S1
This is pretty much exactly what I found in Jackson, MI today. Though I was there twice in three days, looks like the big shipment came in between my two visits. "Veronica Mars" surprised me; I didn't remember that from previous threads.

cracksky 07-23-09 09:53 PM

I hit 3 BL's today in 3 different states during one of the worst rain storms I've ever witnessed. Could barely keep my car on the road. Saw a truck jackknifed.

Hagerstown, MD - bought: Reeves Superman S3/4, Superman Serials, Pebbles/Bamm-Bamm, Josie/Pussycats, Birdman/Galaxy Trio, Johnny Quest S1. (Mostly I bought the only copies left. There might be one or two each.)

Martinsburg, WV - bought: Flintstones S3, Space Ghost/Dino Boy (they also had a ton of Flintstones S2 opened and 3 Crypt S5.)

Winchester, VA - bought: nothing (cleaned out of boxed sets).

No $10 sets at any stores. Some Lois & Clark's at MD & WV too.

Jedi Master 33 07-23-09 10:01 PM

How often has the Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Hour been seen?

FlamedLiquid 07-23-09 10:02 PM

I'm wondering if these Looney Tunes sets are going to be advertised the week after these $3 ones for the next week. I mean, I know some people have reported seeing them already, but some stores seem to be waiting till the day of the ad.

Surfinhank 07-23-09 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by drewz (Post 9592489)
Okay, after years of reading and loving the forums here, I'll delurk for this thread...

I stopped in around 9:30 am this morning on the way to work and found the first five seasons of Tales From the Crypt, seasons 4 and 5 of Lois & Clark, Jonny Quest, the first 2 seasons of the Flintstones and Batman vs Dracula on the wire rack. I grabbed one of each of those and then wandered through the store and encountered an employee with a shopping basket full of DVD sets. I politely asked if I could look through them and pulled out Popeye, season 5 of the Flintstones, Murphy Brown, Tracy Takes On and Life and War at Home.

Wow, that is a good find. Especially since there was no 5th season for Lois and Clark(!)

:eyebrow:

DeepSleep 07-23-09 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank (Post 9592649)
Wow, that is a good find. Especially since there was no 5th season for Lois and Clark(!)

:eyebrow:

He probably was so giddy of hitting the jackpot after 2 weeks of disappointing daily visits, he can't recall them all from memory. He said he spent about $260 on the $3 and $6 sets, so that's at least 50+ titles... Heck, I would probably lapse into a coma if I were lucky enough to find that many titles in one day..... :)

jgorow 07-23-09 10:39 PM

found 2 animated sets that I have been looking for at the margate big lots.
superman animated vol 1, when I brought it up to the register, the clerk said to me "oh, my little boy would love this", there was another copy, so I ran over and grabbed it for her before anyone else could grab it. we both noticed that while it is listed on package as a 2 disc, it is actually a 3 disc because disc 2 is a flipper. also got pebbles and bambam which I have wanted for so long, havnt watched it since my childhood, cant wait to see shlep-rock, lol, and, mick jagstone and the rolling boulders.

wvtechs 07-23-09 10:43 PM

Undeadcow 07-23-09 10:47 PM

I saw Scooby Doo/Dynomutt at several stores in Austin, TX and one in Port Arthur, TX with the early batches of $6 sets but had not noticed or heard of any sightings recently.

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33 (Post 9592589)
How often has the Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Hour been seen?

Maxflier 07-23-09 10:48 PM

drewz,
Did you see any of the Thundercats box sets (not the2 disc ones)? And did they have a good bit of Season 4 of Lois & Clark? I'll be hitting up that store on Saturday and i'm hoping to score those sets.

turnondafun 07-23-09 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083 (Post 9592420)
since it says you're in so cal, can i ask what store you found these at? haven't seen ANY of these titles at any of the big lots i've been to...

It was a store on the PCH around Torrance. I'm not sure of the actual address I just know where it is and go there often. I hit up 6 different stores everyday for the last 2 weeks though and today is the first day they had any and the ones I got were pretty much all they had. I think there was one other final seasons of The Adventures of Super and an Everwood there but thats all. Well and the open Flintstones #3.

yellowlt4 07-23-09 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 9591844)
For those who missed it at the end of the last thread, urgent information that we can all benefit from!-biggrin-

ATTENTION ALL RESELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to sound like a joke, but I have it on good authority (don't even ask, this is totally "off the record!") that the next big thing in DVD resale is going to be this show called JOEY. Apparently, the web is buzzing with rumors that these DVDs are going OOP forever and that demand is going to increase in the next few months, to heights we haven't seen in years on the resale market. !!! This is one of those shows that seemed to fly under the radar when it first aired, but there is what has been described as a STAR TREK numbers cult following for it all over the world and people are becoming desperate to get their hands on the one season that was released on DVD. You read it here first, stock up JOEY asap, if you can even find it anywhere that is! You want to SELL, SELL, SELL? Then get JOEY, JOEY, JOEY!

Forget Joey, someone needs to come buy the 500 copies of West Wing Season 2 from the 5 Big Lots near me!

Kent2000 07-24-09 12:07 AM

I'm probably hoping for more than is possible for Big Lots, but I'm intrigued by the "Incredible Changes coming July 29th", according to the email they sent with their new ad:

--
"Whether you're shopping online or looking for something to buy in the store, it will be simpler to find what you're looking for. New features and more online selection make your shopping experience quicker and easier than ever before.

Shop the way you want without logging in.

Quickly navigate entire departments to find exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks to a simple check-mark icon and a more advanced search, you can narrow your choices to find just what you're looking for."
--

Oh man, if this means we'll be able to order specific DVD titles and/or arrange in-store pick-ups right off the web site, then I know a lot of bank accounts that are gonna be depleted! It would definitely beat the time and expense of visiting multiple stores on a daily basis to find that one elusive title (no, not you, Joey!)

Any thoughts on what these "incredible changes" might really be?

Cardsfan111 07-24-09 12:13 AM

^ I wouldn't get my hopes up. I remember when they hyped up their "Deal of the Day" available online. It wasn't anything all that impressive as it turned out (at least in my opinion). As far as ordering DVDs online thru Big Lots, it seems like it'd be impossible since we can all testify that every store gets different titles.

But I suppose one can dream... ;)

sdfan21 07-24-09 12:13 AM

Went to Big lots today and found lots of titles but some i already had managed to pick up

Animaniacs vol 1
Pinky and the brain vol1
3 disc box set of challenge Superfriends, similar to the three pack of Justice league
lois and clark1,3, 4 just need season 2 now
tales from crypt 2-5
Adventures of superman 2-6 with the exception of season 1 since i bought earlier in the week but i wanted to pick up for other fellow member but was no not found
batman vs dracula
wait till your father gets home
Huckleberry Hound vol1 - trade pending
and to top it off my order from DD came in
Good day today i hope the weekend brings the Ten dollar set of looney tunes

shyguy1083 07-24-09 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by turnondafun (Post 9592860)
It was a store on the PCH around Torrance. I'm not sure of the actual address I just know where it is and go there often. I hit up 6 different stores everyday for the last 2 weeks though and today is the first day they had any and the ones I got were pretty much all they had. I think there was one other final seasons of The Adventures of Super and an Everwood there but thats all. Well and the open Flintstones #3.

thanks for the info! a bit far from where i am...

luckily though, i went back to the big lots in rowland heights, CA and they had restocked! was able to pick up s1-4 or lois and clark and seasons 3/5 of tales from the crypt. also picked up the seemingly sole copy of veronica mars s2.

they had a lot more of the hanna barbera shows like wacky races/top cat/pebbles and bam bam, etc. and quite a few adventures of superman seasons left. didn't pick any of those up. will probably hit some other big lots tomorrow night and hopefully they'll have put out the discs for sunday's ad earlier since i work sunday morning and can't get them then.

i'm just glad some so. cal stores are getting these titles! i've been to probably around 6-8 big lots in the area several times in the last week to week-and-a-half and they've generally been bare, so it was a pleasant surprise to finally find titles i wanted... now to find the rest of the tales from the crypt and superman/batman animated... and looney tunes! although at this point, i almost want looney tunes just for the thrill of finding it and not because i actually want it... but if i see it, i'll probably pick it up for trading. i'd prefer a dvdtalker to get it than some reseller