DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 07:23 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Glad to hear that FYE isn't paying anything for these titles at least- it seems like some stores that buy stuff from people don't know when deals like this come up.
This is a fun thread to read. I'm surprised to hear that a hoarder opened all the DVDs before finding out what FYE offered. Though I rarely trade to FYE, those times I did they never had a problem giving me the price on a new title first and then opening it after I said OK.

For a good laugh I checked how much wherehouse.com/FYE offers in trade-in for some of these $3 or $6 Big Lots sets. Then I checked how they sell them used. So while FYE dropped how much they pay to almost nothing, I don't think they lowered their resale prices at all. Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Here's just one example:

Popeye the Sailor Man V1
July 15th - TRADE IN $14.50 cash or $18.12 credit (before 20% bonus brown-bag)
July 15th - BUY USED $39.97
July 20th - TRADE IN $.05 cash or $.07 credit (before 20% bonus brown-bag)
July 20th - BUY USED $39.97

That's FYE's way of saying "we have too many of these". I'm disappointed that FYE doesn't lower their prices on how much they sell these titles for because I would've loved to buy some of these I couldn't find at Big Lots.

I believe there will be a resurgence of the $3 and $6 Big Lots titles soon. I bought some extras myself to trade (see my post in the trades forum). The ones that are left over I'll be returning (unopened of course) to Big Lots in a couple more weeks because you get zero any other way.
Old 07-22-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nashua store was picked clean of the newer $3 boxsets yesterday. I saw a few titles that were going fast the day before, but they didn't last 6 hours I bet. All that was left yesterday was a lone copy of Flintstones S3 and still quite a few Tracey Takes On... S1.
Haven't seen any of the boxsets at any other south NH store or Methuen MA as of yesterday late morning...
Old 07-22-09, 08:48 AM

Here's how it is shaping up in Vermont:

Last weekend at Essex Jct:
Animaniacs V2
Scooby Do - 3 volume set
-they also had Pinky & the Brain V2, all the common TV sets for $6 (OC, Night Court, ER, etc) - and thats about it. I have stopped by a few times sence then, but nothing restocked and NO $3 stuff.

Last weekend at Morrisville location:
Superfriends V2
-they had a few of the common $6 tv sets, but not much else. Had some $3 stuff, but no Hanna Barberra or WB. Stopped back yesterday and nothing new. They did have a few Smallville Season 7BD

Yesterday in Barre: JACKPOT! I got:
Popeye V1
Flinstones 3, 4, 5
Wacky Races Complete Series
Huckleberry Hound V1
Dastardly & Muttley In Their Flying Machines - Complete Series
Penelope Pitstop Complete Series

They also had Pebbles & Bam Bam, which I didnt get. There was a few of each of these left as well as other good $3 movies. I got 1 of each of the above, but could get more if someone wants to trade.

I am still looking for:
Josie & The Pussycats
Space Ghost
Looney Tunes v1-5

This has been a lot of fun!
Old 07-22-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, and Top Cat this morning. Not even sure why really...just because they were there.
Old 07-22-09, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
This. Is. Awesome.
So out of curiousity, how much is FYE asking for these used BL sets?
Old 07-22-09, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Proglodite
As of Tuesday evening 7/21 this is what I have to report for these stores:

Durham on Hwy 55 - severely picked over; doesn't appear to have had any restock recently.

Raleigh, NC on New Bern - same as Durham; severely picked over; no signs of restock

Raleigh, NC on 64 Business - lots of stuff; tons of Popeye and Dukes of Hazard; nothing really exceptional, but lots of stuff; probably restocked since Sunday's sale.

Raleigh, NC on Western Blvd - severely picked over; lots of Wacky Races, but priced at $6. A new cardboard display had tons of the James Bond films...

Cary, NC - severely picked over; no new inventory...in fact, big table that had $3 DVD's is gone.

Do we have a volunteer who can check in on the Cary store either tomorrow or Thursday? My spidey-sense tells me they may be the one...

Peter
Yo, Proglodite, nice to see someone from my area on the forum. On the Raleigh 64 one - did you see any other box sets. Not sure what 'lots of stuff" means. I am missing the cartoons sets.. thanks..
Old 07-22-09, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
If you need proof, go to wherehouse.com where S1 of Lois and Clark is fetching $5 and S2-S4 are bringing $.05. Yes... that's five cents... each... *Some* of the HB animation will get you $2/each and the others at, you guessed it, $.05/each. Other online purchasers of used product are offering similar prices. Even dvdplanet is very low on most of these, often a break even after shipping, etc.

Karma, baby, karma...
I am loving it, we don`t have to drive all the way to Big Lots, we can get them cheap on Ebay and Amazon Marketplace, greedy resellers are doing the work for us.
Old 07-22-09, 10:19 AM
Banned

During a random trip to one of my local Big Lots today I hit the jackpot and found/bought multiple copies of the following titles:

Looney Toons Golden Collection w/pin (3 copies)
Looney Toons Movie Collection (2 copies)
Super Friends Volume 2 (2 copies)
Animaniacs Volume 2 (2 copies)
Roots The Complete Collection (2 copies)

They also had Pinky and the Brain volumes 1 and 2 but I passed on getting them because I already have them.

Here is the funny part. I must have walked in the store at exactly the right moment because minutes after I walked away from the boxed sets to look at their $3 DVD selection to see if there were any James Bond titles to add to my collection, a guy walked up to the boxed sets area and started grabbing everything in sight.

Normally, I would have only grabbed one copy of each title but I made an exception because resellers are known to frequent this store. It felt good to know I finally beat the resellers at their own game.

With that being said, I may offer my extra copies for trade once I get my want list in order. Otherwise, they will make great gifts for the children.
Old 07-22-09, 10:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
Yo, Proglodite, nice to see someone from my area on the forum. On the Raleigh 64 one - did you see any other box sets. Not sure what 'lots of stuff" means. I am missing the cartoons sets.. thanks..
Lots of Night Courts, Dukes of Hazzard, a couple of the Larry King, maybe some of Anamaniacs #2, Tracy Takes On #1, lots of Popeyes #1, and I think a few Flinstones #3....and a TON of $3 movie titles...maybe a stray OC #2 and West Wing #2. One of the BL's I hit in Raleigh had the first disc of Wonder Woman Season 1 (eps. 1-4) with a $6 price sticker on it (thought that was odd!).

Peter
Old 07-22-09, 10:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wvtechs
Otherwise, they will make great gifts for the children.
I suspsect this is why so many are disappearing. Obviously there are re-sellers, but school's out and these cartoons are a great way to keep younger kids occupied. --Peter
Old 07-22-09, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I hit the jackpot and found/bought multiple copies of the following titles:

Normally, I would have only grabbed one copy of each title but I made an exception because resellers are known to frequent this store. It felt good to know I finally beat the resellers at their own game.
Normally, I wouldn't rob a bank but this one bank gets robbed at least 3 times a year so I just wanted to beat them at their own game.

Old 07-22-09, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Proglodite
I suspsect this is why so many are disappearing. Obviously there are re-sellers, but school's out and these cartoons are a great way to keep younger kids occupied. --Peter
Normally I would be inclined to agree but on several occasions, I have personally witnessed people with carts full of boxed sets and have even been told by several cashiers that customers told them that they split the sets up and sell them on eBay.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Normally, I wouldn't rob a bank but this one bank gets robbed at least 3 times a year so I just wanted to beat them at their own game.

I despise resellers and think there is a special place in hell that is reserved just for them so when I saw 3 copies of the Looney Toons Golden Collection, Movie Collection, etc..., the little Devil in me said "get em all before a reseller does" so that is exactly what I did. After seeing that guy filling his cart with everything I had left behind, I found myself wishing that I had got all of it for no other reason than to see him walk away empty handed but I am not greedy and got my satisfaction anyway.

I am not normally into trading but I figured what the heck, everyone else is doing it and if it can help me finish my Bond Collection or add some other titles on my want list to my collection, it is worth a shot.
Old 07-22-09, 10:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During a random trip to one of my local Big Lots today I hit the jackpot and found/bought multiple copies of the following titles:

Looney Toons Golden Collection w/pin (3 copies)
Looney Toons Movie Collection (2 copies)
Super Friends Volume 2 (2 copies)
Animaniacs Volume 2 (2 copies)
Roots The Complete Collection (2 copies)

They also had Pinky and the Brain volumes 1 and 2 but I passed on getting them because I already have them.

Here is the funny part. I must have walked in the store at exactly the right moment because minutes after I walked away from the boxed sets to look at their $3 DVD selection to see if there were any James Bond titles to add to my collection, a guy walked up to the boxed sets area and started grabbing everything in sight.

With that being said, I may offer my extra copies for trade once I get my want list in order. Otherwise, they will make great gifts for the children.
What are you looking for?

I'd love to trade for one of the Looney Tunes 1-5 sets.

I have a Smallville Season 7 Blu-Ray set for trade. Or I can look at my local big lots today after work for another title you are looking for.
Old 07-22-09, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
went to danvers, ma around 4:30PM. Nothing new as far as I could tell, maybe some new $3 movies, but no $10 sets or Hannah Barbera $3.

Some Dukes, some west wings and the ubiquitous Joey Season 1 still there.

Kind of disappointed, I thought the $3 HB's and the $10 sets would hit New England in a wave. Looking for Birdman and space ghost. I watched a couple of wacky racers with my son...maybe I should have left them to memory. I am hopeful that top cat will not disappoint.
Honestly, I think the Danvers store will continue to disappoint. It's the only one I've been checking because I really don't want to run all over the place on the off chance I might get something good. I was really hoping I could at least pick up Lois & Clark seasons 2-4 and Looney Tunes vol 6, but I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with nothing.
Old 07-22-09, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vryce
What are you looking for?

I'd love to trade for one of the Looney Tunes 1-5 sets.

I have a Smallville Season 7 Blu-Ray set for trade. Or I can look at my local big lots today after work for another title you are looking for.
I might be wrong but I don't think the mods want trading to be taking place in this thread. Let me get my want list together and I will post in the exchange forum when I am ready. In the mean time PM me.
Old 07-22-09, 11:05 AM

Stopped out at the Jackson, OH Big Lots yesterday... with nothing major to report. They had nothing new over the Chillicothe store... and not nearly as big of a selection at that. I did manage to find Season 2 of "The Adventures of Superman" (I had only been able to find 1, 3, and 4 prior to this), but nothing much to report besides that. Lots of Wacky Races, Flintstones, Popeye, etc...
Old 07-22-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Steve
So out of curiousity, how much is FYE asking for these used BL sets?
secondspin.com will give you a close value
Old 07-22-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be wrong but I don't think the mods want trading to be taking place in this thread. Let me get my want list together and I will post in the exchange forum when I am ready. In the mean time PM me.
Hi, just sent you a PM about Roots. Thanks!
Old 07-22-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Phibes
I have eyes everywhere, like a spider in the middle of a web :P Too bad most of my spies are spending their every waking moment cruising BL though
Damn. Curse you Phibes. Foiled again.

Or am I . . .

Perhaps you'll learn to fear my secret weapon, sir. Canadian candy bars bend people to my will. My WILL! Harumph, harumph.
Old 07-22-09, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

I fail to see how purchasing movies at a store can be compared to robbing a bank. People purchasing these sets are doing nothing wrong. There is no mistake in pricing and I'm sure BigLots is more than happy to see them selling.
Old 07-22-09, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by slappy
Stopped out at the Jackson, OH Big Lots yesterday... with nothing major to report.
Are you from the area? I grew up right outside of Jackson in Oak Hill and was surprised to see the town mentioned here.

I've got my parents checking the Jackson BL a couple of times a week. I was hoping nobody around there cares too much for Looney Tunes or Tales from the Crypt.
Old 07-22-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See the exchange thread for my 2 extras of Looney Tunes & America's Game boxes.
Old 07-22-09, 11:50 AM

I'm kinda surprised at how fast the Looney Tunes Vol 6 sold out. I saw it twice but hated to put the money into it unless I got the big set too. A couple hours after I saw it I checked the store again and found the big box in the electronics dept. The clerk said some one bought the vol 5 10 minutes earlier. I've checked 6 other big lots and havn't found it again yet.
Old 07-22-09, 11:52 AM

I shall grapple with thee over the falls at Reichenbach and we shall both meet our watery demise

...or will we?

Mere Canadian candy bars will not pull me away from my post, camped out at the local BL with my kit, monocle, and pith helmet. I shall defend the BL realm from hoarders and resellers everywhere. This crown, this jewel, this Big Lots.

Harumph, indeed.

Originally Posted by Brian T
Damn. Curse you Phibes. Foiled again.

Or am I . . .

Perhaps you'll learn to fear my secret weapon, sir. Canadian candy bars bend people to my will. My WILL! Harumph, harumph.
Old 07-22-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by getjazzedman
I fail to see how purchasing movies at a store can be compared to robbing a bank. People purchasing these sets are doing nothing wrong. There is no mistake in pricing and I'm sure BigLots is more than happy to see them selling.
Because many sour grapes on this board equate resellers to Adolf Hitler.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.