Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot
Went to 4 stores this morning (Louisville)--looking like a pretty dry week, everyone was pretty cleaned out. I did get one lone Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 6 for $10 for my mom, but nothing else of interest. All the Hanna Barbera stuff is gone, not even any Flinstones left at any of the stores.

One nice/knowledgeable manager told me they didn't get any dvd's this week. At another store they told me that their entire stock is getting swapped out soon with all new stuff but he didn't know when. Hmmm...
Could you mention which ones? I hit four this past weekend but didn't find anything worth getting.
Old 07-21-09, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bears9
Here in Sunny Florida I went to 6 BL in the last 2 days no 10 sets and no HB sets :-(
Did find pinky and brain and animaniacs sets thou at 6 bucks each.

Which part of Florida?

I went to 2 in South Florida and STILL NOTHING. i asked if they had anymore, i was told my both store managers that they ARE NOT getting anymore DVDs in.

I SMELL BS.
Old 07-21-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to two Big Lots

Found a bunch of Dukes of Hazzard, Dallas S6 & S7, and OC S2's. Ended up picking up Blade II, The Lakers Dynasty, Justice League movies, and Pinky and the Brain V2. Pretty slim pickings.
Old 07-21-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One store here finally had some Flintstones. I rushed over and they were all gone. Did find a couple Popeye V1 and The War at Home
Old 07-21-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bcink
I checked Turfland last night and saw nothing. I guess no one likes "Life Goes On" Season 1. I'll keep checking there every other day, especially this weekend. Its like 2 minutes from my house (and no its not in a bad neighborhood.)
Ha! Yeah... Life Goes On is still available at both stores. Appreciate the update. I'm not bothering tomorrow but if you see new stock then please let me know.

and no... I love the neighborhood around Turfland. I live on the south side (Tates Creek Rd) but have often thought about moving over there (my condo is paid off though, so). Much closer to work (UK)... and um, Big Lots! Or something.
Old 07-21-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wvtechs
It must be different in your area for some reason.
The big sign above the service desk / return area in the small print says as much... Ad starts on Wednesday.

Could just be here I guess... Who knows.
Old 07-21-09, 09:02 PM

I discovered not too slowly that when you're buying at BL to make a profit that they're zillions of others doing the same and the price is driven down. Sometimes to even below the $3 (or whatever) you paid. I guess there are the uninformed at flea markets, etc. but I'm selling online If I'm selling at all. I decided that I'd just get what I wanted or thought was a deal and not try and buy to resell. Too bad this jerk-ola did that to you. I only picked up one copy each of Tales when it was at my BL (only missing S1 and S7) but what was left vanished overnight. It was the luck of the draw because I just happened to be in BL before whomever swooped in. I went back the next day to return some duplicates and the racks were dry of all the Tales and other new stuff I had seen the night before.

I even doubt we'll see a Looney Tunes set appear since it has to go through the levels of BL employees before hitting the floor. I was chatting up a nice manager lady to get info from her before the 20% off sale and she made it sound like she had seen the mystical set but one of her employees bought it.

I shoulda picked up an application!!

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Yeah, I'm not a complainer as far as people trying to make a buck. But there comes a point where it's screwed up.

I understand that shopping for dvds at Big Lots is a luck of the draw situation. And there will never be enough of certain titles to go around to everyone, but ya know leave at least ONE of the 6 copies for someone else!

And even after I offered to double (roughly) his money, that wasn't enough!
I've got no problem with capitalism, but greed ruins it. The funny thing is, if he puts these on ebay, after charges I doubt he'll make the 30 bucks I offered him. Hell, if he said $45 I probably would have done it.
Old 07-21-09, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Which part of Florida?

I went to 2 in South Florida and STILL NOTHING. i asked if they had anymore, i was told my both store managers that they ARE NOT getting anymore DVDs in.

I SMELL BS.
You probably stepped on that "Parking lot burrito" that DVDTalker NCC1701E was talking about!

Seriously, I would hazard a guess that Biglot stores are getting alot of questions/phone calls (or at least more than usual) from both collectors and resellers about these $3 and $10 dvd sets.

I can imagine the type of questions:

Do you have any of those $3 and $10 sets?
Which ones do you have?
When do you expect to get more in?
When do you get deliveries?
How long does it take you to put them out on the sales floor?
Could you go look in the backroom and find (a particular title) for me?
Could you hold a copy of (fill in the title) for me?, I'll be in later to pick it up.
Why doesn't your store get any good titles?, the other store does.

I guess it is just easier for them to say what they say to customers, cause these sets will go fast, either bought by collectors or resellers.

Last edited by DeepSleep; 07-21-09 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think some of these people know that big lots is a nationwide chain. They think are getting in on deals that no one else can get. So they buy everything up in hopes they can sell it at full price online or on craigslist.
Old 07-21-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by bcink
I checked Turfland last night and saw nothing. I guess no one likes "Life Goes On" Season 1. I'll keep checking there every other day, especially this weekend. Its like 2 minutes from my house (and no its no in a bad neighborhood.)
Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Ha! Yeah... Life Goes On is still available at both stores. Appreciate the update. I'm not bothering tomorrow but if you see new stock then please let me know.

Nothing to shout about at either Lexington store as of earlier this evening as well.
Old 07-21-09, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phibes
I even doubt we'll see a Looney Tunes set appear since it has to go through the levels of BL employees before hitting the floor. I was chatting up a nice manager lady to get info from her before the 20% off sale and she made it sound like she had seen the mystical set but one of her employees bought it.

I shoulda picked up an application!!
I have gotten a similar impression and suspect that the employees are indeed getting many items before they ever see the shelf. Unfortunately, it can and will happen and there is little that can be done to stop it short of working for Big Lots which I would never dream of doing for mere DVD's.
Old 07-21-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Stopped by 3 today, Here's what was spotted / purchased .... Enjoy the hunt!

Warren
$10
Looney Tunes 1-5 set
Roots Collection (with extra book and Software)

$3 Sets
Huckleberry Hound
Top Cat
Lois Clark S1, S2
Everwood S1
OC S2
Superfriends V2 (same as previous $6 and there were also $6 ones lol)
Flintstones S5 (unsealed) S6 (sealed)
Superman S1, S2 (Geroge Reeves)
Superman Movie 4-disc

Waterford
$3
Powderpuff Girls - Complete
Jaque Cousteau 6-disc (spelling?)
Batman Animated V4
Josie & Pussycats - Complete
Space Ghost - Complete
Top Cat
Tales From the Crypt S3, S4, S5
Appleseed
Flintstones S1 (unsealed) S3 (sealed)
Popeye 1933
Hotwheels DVD & car
Johnny Quest
Tom & Jerry 2-Pack

Pontiac
Just a lady behind the counter that yelled at me for 5 minutes just casue I asked if all their DVDs were in the DVD area or some other area (like I have seen at other stores).

Last edited by b2net; 07-21-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

still hoping to snag

Batman vs Dracula
Batman Animated V1, V2, V3
Dastardly & Muttley In Their Flying Machines - Complete Series
Droopy - Tex Avery's Complete Theatrical Collection
Flintstones - Season 7
Friends - Season 1
Friends - Season 10 (x2)
Friends - Season 2
Friends - Season 9
Hong Kong Phooey - Complete Series
Looney Tunes Golden Collection - Volume 6
Scooby Doo Dynomutt - Complete Series
Scooby Doo, Where are You? - Season 1&2
Scooby Doo, Where are You? - Season 3
Yogi Bear - Complete Series

Last edited by b2net; 07-21-09 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wvtechs
I have gotten a similar impression and suspect that the employees are indeed getting many items before they ever see the shelf. Unfortunately, it can and will happen and there is little that can be done to stop it short of working for Big Lots which I would never dream of doing for mere DVD's.
At the store I go to I have seen them open up the boxes up front so they really don't know whats in them for movies.
but once the clerk starts putting them out the cashiers will drift over and they all flip thru them. The one time I was there when they were putting stuff out there was a huge interest in The Dark Crystal (Collector's Edition Boxed Set) and they only received around three copies and all three were gone in a few minutes scooped up by employees.
Old 07-21-09, 10:17 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Oh wow... I had no idea there was another LT set.... how cool!! ing I can find one locally!!!
The Warner Bros. Academy Awards Animation 3-disc collection is a great companion to the Golden Collections. It does have some overlap of cartoons that are also on the GC and other WB sets, but it also features a few historic shorts you can't get anywhere else (like the first Bugs Bunny cartoon, "The Wild Hare"). It features more than just Looney Tunes, too. It has a sampling of Popeye, Superman, Droopy, Tom & Jerry and other cartoons that were nominated for Oscars. Also, the bonus features are all-new with a great documentary, commentaries and music-only tracks. $3 is a steal for this set if you can grab one.
Old 07-21-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone seen the following?

Magilla Gorilla
Tom and Jerry - Spotlight Collection: The Premiere Volume
Old 07-21-09, 10:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by b2net
Anyone seen the following?

Magilla Gorilla
Tom and Jerry - Spotlight Collection: The Premiere Volume
I have heard unconfirmed reports of Magilla. I haven't seen it, though.

The only Tom & Jerry I have seen are two-pack bundles of recent direct-to-video Tom & Jerry movies (Magic Ring, Blast Off To Mars, Shiver Me Whiskers) or the "best of" single discs (Greatest Chases, Halloween Hijinks).
Old 07-21-09, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by b2net
Stopped by 3 today, Here's what was spotted / purchased .... Enjoy the hunt!

Warren
$10
Looney Tunes 1-5 set
Roots Collection (with extra book and Software)

$3 Sets
Huckleberry Hound
Top Cat
Lois Clark S1, S2
Everwood S1
OC S2
Superfriends V2 (same as previous $6 and there were also $6 ones lol)
Flintstones S5 (unsealed) S6 (sealed)
Superman S1, S2 (Geroge Reeves)
Superman Movie 4-disc

Waterford
$3
Powderpuff Girls - Complete
Jaque Cousteau 6-disc (spelling?)
Batman Animated V4
Josie & Pussycats - Complete
Space Ghost - Complete
Top Cat
Tales From the Crypt S3, S4, S5
Appleseed
Flintstones S1 (unsealed) S3 (sealed)
Popeye 1933
Hotwheels DVD & car
Johnny Quest
Tom & Jerry 2-Pack

Pontiac
Just a lady behind the counter that yelled at me for 5 minutes just casue I asked if all their DVDs were in the DVD area or some other area (like I have seen at other stores).

Where are you located and did they have more than 1 Looney Tunes 1-5 set?
Old 07-21-09, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the Lexington updates, guys. I'm considering driving over to Danville again tomorrow after work since I didn't get back this past weekend - but I may talk myself out of it, depending on how tired I am and how the weather is (they're talking heavy rain).

It's the not knowing... gah.
Old 07-21-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd_daffy
I have heard unconfirmed reports of Magilla. I haven't seen it, though.

The only Tom & Jerry I have seen are two-pack bundles of recent direct-to-video Tom & Jerry movies (Magic Ring, Blast Off To Mars, Shiver Me Whiskers) or the "best of" single discs (Greatest Chases, Halloween Hijinks).
Yeah, that's all I've seen too.
Old 07-21-09, 10:30 PM

Finally saw some Hanna Barbera in Denver. Picked up Josie and the Pussycats.

Hoping to score any others (aside from The Flintstones - I already have them all).
Old 07-21-09, 10:34 PM
Cool New Member

So today I stopped by F.Y.E. to use a 30% off coupon and just by happenstance I see a person I recognized from Big Lots (hoarded almost all the $3.00 seasons btw) the day before with the "20% additional credit brown bag" nearly busting full of DVD's in his hand. I pretend to peruse the cheap DVD bin so I can see how much he gets and watch as the guy unloads all the Big Lots usual suspects; 4 seasons of Lois and Clark, Flintstones seasons 1 and 2, Murphy Brown, Tales From the Crypt seasons 1 and 2, and Popeye. The guy asks the cashier if he can look around while she tallies everything up and she says it is OK. I then watch with the utmost amount of pleasure as nearly every single season scans at A WHOPPING 5 CENTS!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!! The guy has no idea! I did the math in my head and realized with the "brown bag" increase added in he was getting 7.5 cents for nearly every season (I think one may have scanned at 8.00 or something so 12.00 for that one). When the guy shows back up for the total it is something like $12.75 for EVERYTHING!! The cashier tells him and he literally looked like a ghost. He starts arguing with the cashier about how that low of a trade in value is impossible. The cashier states that they must have an overabundant amount of those particular seasons so the guy takes all of his opened Big Lots merchandise and stomps out. This was my first great experience I have ever had at an F.Y.E.

I am sure the guy learned a very valuable lesson in economics, that, to a lesser extent, could be applied to the housing market situation as well. You try to buy something low and sell high, but if everybody is doing it with the exact same thing, some people will be stuck sitting on their initial investment, or eventually taking a loss. Big Lots teaching economics? Who knew!!
Old 07-21-09, 10:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

The NoHo store (Vineland AV) got some new stuff today. There wasn't much left, but I finally saw some of the $3 sets. There were a lot of Flintstones season 2 and 3, Tracey Ullman season 1 and War At Home. Otherwise, just a few copies of:
Popeye
Lois & Clark
Wacky Races
Tales From The Crypt
Superman Animated volume 1
Adventures of Superman (George Reeves series)

... and my favorite: Batman VS Dracula, with the little action figures(!)
Old 07-21-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

^^ That's a nice story, DealBreaker. Perhaps you should have ran over to him and offered him $15 for everything.
Old 07-21-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well We got the $3 dollar HB Boxes today and alot Tales From The Crypt to boot and season 1-3 of Lois and Clark!

But all I wanted from there was Popeye,Top Cat and Birdman and Glaxay Trio

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.