DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by Drake
It's an animation set with Bugs Bunny and various other cartoons that were up for Academy Awards.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection - 15 Winners, 26 Nominees
Oh wow... I had no idea there was another LT set.... how cool!! ing I can find one locally!!!
Old 07-21-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
That's their demographic isn't it?
It's not Bloomingdales, but for the most part I think the cashiers that i have spoken with have been great and usually the people that shop there are only looking for bargains and they usually bypass the DVD section.

the thing that bugs me about Big lots is that they tell ya everything is unloaded from the truck and it's not ...unless they got a shipment in yesterday???.....I almost waited till tomorrow to head down there and if I did I would of missed most of what i picked up.

Last edited by Drake; 07-21-09 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was the first time at big lots that i had to get a basket to put everything in!
Old 07-21-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not Bloomingdales, but for the most part I think the cashiers that i have spoken with have been great and usually the people that shop there are only looking for bargains and they usually bypass the DVD section.
That's been my experience as well, though admittedly, I've never thought to ask about extra stock in the back or things like that, but they've always been cheerful and pleasant all the same.

As for the shoppers, I've seen some folks roll up in their tricked out SUVs to shop at BL, and I've seen the typical low-income families as well. Overall, the bigger spenders are looking at the furniture and outdoor stuff, while the lower-income shoppers tend to hit the grocery and household sections more than any other part of the store. I rarely see more than one or two people digging through the DVDs, and it's usually pretty obvious that those are the only things they're there for.
Old 07-21-09, 02:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

West Bridgewater

it's right on the Brockton line.

It will be interesting if they restock this stuff, cause honestly it was flying off the racks i doubt that
by the end of tomorrow much of it will remain. Maybe The Popeye stuff which is funny cause thats what I was really looking for.
I think they are restocking in small doses. I was in Danvers on Thursday and there were no blu-rays, but by Saturday or Sunday there was a blu-ray smallville s7 according to another poster, yet none of the HB sets. I suspect the HB sets are there now.
Old 07-21-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

I've been in three Big Lots stores on occasion over the years, two in Michigan and one in New York state (can't remember that town, though), and while I'm certain they're not representative of the entire chain, nor am I even hinting that they are, these particular three stores appeared to be in what might politely be considered the "poor parts of town". You're right, though: I do see what seem like "regular Joes" in these stores, just looking for a few bargains, but without fail there's always a disproportionate (at least compared to 'regular' department stores in the regions) 'white trash' contingent that really stands out, and possibly can't afford the gas to go across town to upscale boutiques like Target, Sears or Wal-Mart because they've only got $55 left in their checking accounts. I guess they're just there at the same time I am, entirely coincidentally, but it's the realization that I'm actually shopping amongst these people--and that I've traveled from another country for the privilege--that perhaps leaves me feeling a little . . . unwashed?

I will admit, the checkout service at these stores was quite friendly.

And I have found some good stuff on the $3 DVD sections during recent visits, though I haven't been back recently enough to see what's new (looks like a lot, actually). I'm sure I'll get there sooner or later. Briefly.

As I suggested, I think it just depends on the location of the store sometimes.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-21-09 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been in three Big Lots stores on occasion over the years, two in Michigan and one in New York state (can't remember that town, though), and while I'm certain they're not representative of the entire chain, nor am I even hinting that they are, these particular three stores appeared to be in what might politely be considered the "poor parts of town". You're right in one regard: I do see what seem like "regular Joes" in these stores, just looking for a few bargains, but without fail there's always a disproportionate (compared to regular department stores) 'white trash' contingent that really stands out, and possibly can't afford the gas to go across town to upscale boutiques like Target, Sears or Wal-Mart because they've only got $55 left in their checking accounts. I guess they're just there at the same time I am, entirely coincidentally, but it's the realization that I'm actually shopping amongst these people--and that I've traveled from another country for the privilege--that perhaps leaves me feeling a little . . . unwashed?

I will admit, the checkout service at these stores was quite friendly.

And I have found some good stuff on the $3 DVD sections during recent visits, though I haven't been back recently enough to see what's new (looks like a lot, actually). I'm sure I'll get there sooner or later. Briefly.
Oh yea the Big Lots I visit are never in the best part of town they always seem to be in locations that are off the beaten path .....I am sure low rent plays a decision in this.
Old 07-21-09, 02:29 PM
Cool New Member

Damn, is anyone else getting really uncomfortable with all these ignorant comments being thrown around about the "types of people" who shop at Big Lots? I thought this forum was about DVD bargains? I'm sure there are websites that cater to those who want to make fun of lower income families, but I don't think this is the place. Please take it elsewhere. Preferably off this planet.
Old 07-21-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
slightly off topic,
Has this sale affected anyone's purchase of a blu-ray player, Blu-ray discs, or even participating in the DDD 25% sale going on?

No, it's not just that BL is tapping me out financially. It's more than that. After getting so many incredible bargains (complete seasons for $3??), paying $10 or $12 for a single DVD at DDD doesn't seem anywhere near exciting anymore.

And I have been on the fence about getting into blu-ray, but BL is really spoiling me on getting so much for my $. I know that Blu-ray has better PQ (that I really want), but BL is starting to be my base comparison point for other purchases. Comparing BL to any blu-ray disc (even hugely discounted) is still a 4 to 5x higher expense ratio.

not trying to get a SD vs HD rant here, only wondered if these BL prices are affecting other people's DVD buying habits in general.

I know it has for me..
It definitely has affected me, too - every time I think of buying something, I think - "can I wait a few months and get it at BigLots for $3?"
I haven't bought a DVD anywhere else in several months. In fact, the last ones I ordered online were the George Reeves Superman Series sets from Oldies.com (for $11.95 each - D'OH!). As I mentioned in an earlier post I hate that I paid full price for the Popeye sets a little over a year ago. I feel compelled to buy another one at $3 to "average down", but that's absurd. I did get the BestBuy exclusive tin, so maybe I can e-bay it.
I haven't even looked at the DD/dvdplanet sale this year. I was going to order the two most recent 3 Stooges sets, but I still haven't watched the first 3 or 4 I already have and I can't help thinking that soon I will see all of those for $3 a pop.
I haven't gotten into Blu-Ray, but not because of BigLots.
Old 07-21-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
It definitely has affected me, too - every time I think of buying something, I think - "can I wait a few months and get it at BigLots for $3?"
I haven't bought a DVD anywhere else in several months. In fact, the last ones I ordered online were the George Reeves Superman Series sets from Oldies.com (for $11.95 each - D'OH!). As I mentioned in an earlier post I hate that I paid full price for the Popeye sets a little over a year ago. I feel compelled to buy another one at $3 to "average down", but that's absurd. I did get the BestBuy exclusive tin, so maybe I can e-bay it.
I haven't even looked at the DD/dvdplanet sale this year. I was going to order the two most recent 3 Stooges sets, but I still haven't watched the first 3 or 4 I already have and I can't help thinking that soon I will see all of those for $3 a pop.
I haven't gotten into Blu-Ray, but not because of BigLots.
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the Popeye set a year ago?
Old 07-21-09, 02:41 PM

I guess they're just there at the same time I am, entirely coincidentally, but it's the realization that I'm actually shopping amongst these people--and that I've traveled from another country for the privilege--that perhaps leaves me feeling a little . . . unwashed?
Oh brother.
Old 07-21-09, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guitardedboy
Ahhh, I've been to at least 6 odd lots in columbus...no Looney tunes box sets. Even the ones in circleville and Chillicothe....no sitings of these ever!!!! You are one lucky SOB
I snagged the last one at the Sawmill Road location in Columbus.

It's funny, you just never know what you will get in your area. I have hit just about every store in the Columbus area multiple times and have not seen a single Thundercats 6-disc set, Wonder Woman (individual or complete), Nightmares and Dreamscapes, or any Blu-ray.

That's why I was so shocked to find a Looney Tunes set and the Kubrick set. Now if I could just find the two Thundercats sets I need and the IMAX collection, I'd be all set!
Old 07-21-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lastdiplomat
Damn, is anyone else getting really uncomfortable with all these ignorant comments being thrown around about the "types of people" who shop at Big Lots? I thought this forum was about DVD bargains? I'm sure there are websites that cater to those who want to make fun of lower income families, but I don't think this is the place. Please take it elsewhere. Preferably off this planet.
I'm not getting uncomfortable, I just find these people to be extremely ignorant. Since when is it a surprise that closeout type stores are in a low-income part of town? Not everyone makes $100,00 a year and not everyone wants to pay retail price for items Big Lots has much cheaper. I'm sure we have all seen our share of "white trash" while hunting for the bargains at Big Lots but the same can be said for any store I've ever been in. Grow up.
Old 07-21-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Not really. I can relate.

For me it's seeing those "types of people" at Wal-Mart and Big Lots (among other places) with this whole entitlement attitude. I run into them far too much. Those comments didn't bother me at the least.

Moving on...

Shipping.

Colton, CA: Receive shipments on Friday - allegedly put out on Saturday.

San Bernardino, CA: Receive shipments on Wednesday - allegedly put out on Friday.

I hope this helps some.
Old 07-21-09, 02:56 PM

I'll not comment on the types of people shopping there since I've shopped there for a while, but this last Christmas I was at a BL that was like a madhouse then had to go across town to the local mall to get something and it was dead. I think the sagging economy has been driving more and more people to these sort of bargain outlets. Reminds me of the Stallone movie where Taco Bell took over all the restaurants. Maybe BL will buy Wal-mart one day, LOL. As long as there are DVD bargains to be have I'll travel to Ross, BL, or where the wild deals are

Old 07-21-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to find the stories in the Ross Dress for Less thread pretty funny...full baby diapers that were discarded in the petites department and stepped on, leaving a streak mark down the aisle. Nice.
Old 07-21-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not too uncomfortable, mainly because no one, myself included, suggested ("ignorantly") that "only" one kind of person shops at Big Lots. White trash can be unpleasant/disheartening wherever they shop. One does wonder how many of these "vultures" scooping up multiple sets for resale might also fall into that category as well, drawn by the lure of an easy buck.

Me, I'm content with a few Warner oldies I picked up a few weeks back, including I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG, PETRIFIED FOREST, PAT AND MIKE, BEST FOOT FORWARD - most of which seemed like unwanted leftovers by the time I showed up. Oh yeah, and I also picked up a History Of Rock and Roll set, because I never got to finish that series when it was on TV. So that was a good deal, I guess, though it will get offloaded at some point.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-21-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 03:00 PM

This is bullcrap! I was just at Sawmill Road in Columbus,Friday and Sunday(in town for the Half Price Bookstore sale)and saw no Looney Tunes 1-5 box sets. This is total proof they are hiding stuff back. I went through every DVD area in that store and saw no Looney Tunes. And they say they don't get their trucks in till Thursday.
What a scam.
I did see 3 Wonder Woman Complete Series Box Sets at the Polaris location and not much of anything else.
Old 07-21-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine was almost stepping on a discarded dirty diaper in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. Man, that could've been... bad.
Old 07-21-09, 03:05 PM

Twas the same, but the devil diaper was in my Ross' toy aisle. Bleech!

I always make sure I extend my pinky when picking up DVDs out of the BL to examine them with my monocle so everyone will know that I"m high class.....

Originally Posted by dullboy
I used to find the stories in the Ross Dress for Less thread pretty funny...full baby diapers that were discarded in the petites department and stepped on, leaving a streak mark down the aisle. Nice.
Old 07-21-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Devo13
This is bullcrap! I was just at Sawmill Road in Columbus,Friday and Sunday(in town for the Half Price Bookstore sale)and saw no Looney Tunes 1-5 box sets. This is total proof they are hiding stuff back. I went through every DVD area in that store and saw no Looney Tunes. And they say they don't get their trucks in till Thursday.
What a scam.
I did see 3 Wonder Woman Complete Series Box Sets at the Polaris location and not much of anything else.
When I was at the checkout today the cashier was accepting some boxes (like around 7 big boxes) from a delivery guy...so....maybe they get some shipments in between the trucks ?

I dunno if they are getting DVD shipments thru the week ,but they are getting some merchandise.
Old 07-21-09, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Phibes
I always make sure I extend my pinky when picking up DVDs out of the BL to examine them with my monocle so everyone will know that I"m high class.....
Nice!
Old 07-21-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Twas the same, but the devil diaper was in my Ross' toy aisle. Bleech!

hehehehe...scooping copies of Pebbles and Bamm Bamm right from underneath the noses of the working class!
Old 07-21-09, 03:17 PM

hehehehe...scooping copies of Pebbles and Bamm Bamm right from underneath the noses of the working class!
Let them eat numerous copies of the double feature of the Lou Ferrigno Hercules movies.

Actually, I bought that one for $2.40 (20% off day) and had forgotten how horrible it was . What a chav am I.
Old 07-21-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wear a fake walrus moustache and war medals, and go "harumph" a lot. Keeps 'em guessing. Never thought about the pinky finger, though. Really completes the lie.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-21-09 at 03:22 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.