Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Was back in Chillicothe, OH again tonight, so I made stop #2. They had done a pretty major re-stock since Saturday... lots of different titles.

I picked up (all for $3 each):

Batman:TAS Vol.1/Superman Vol.1 set (only $3 for both!)
Flintstones Seasons 1,2 & 3 (all the season 1's were unsealed)
Top Cat
Wacky Races
Popeye Volume 1

Also, saw lots of Pebbles & Bam Bam, a couple seasons of Tales from the Crypt (maybe 2 and 6?), lots of Lois and Clark, and the old Adventures of Superman series, War at Home S1, and tons of the $10 Roots deluxe set.

I just can't believe this load of merchandise at the price point they're selling them for...
Old 07-20-09, 09:44 PM

Those from PA what locations have the $3 sets that you know of? I am very interested in Tales From The Crypt and The Larry King Interviews.
Old 07-20-09, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by NCC1701E
I haven't seen any $10 sets either. When I asked the BL employees about them, they just looked at me funny.
Probably because the employees bought all the $10 sets for themselves so there was nothing left for the average person let alone the professional reseller...
Old 07-20-09, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein
My Popeye 1933-38 had a sticker that said it had an exclusive comic book in it, but there wasn't one. Was anyone else's missing the comic?
Mine is the opposite of yours - it had no sticker indicating such, but I just opened the set and there was a comic book inside.

Last edited by NCC1701E; 07-20-09 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein
My Popeye 1933-38 had a sticker that said it had an exclusive comic book in it, but there wasn't one. Was anyone else's missing the comic?
Mine also had no sticker on the outside, but the comic book was inside!
Old 07-20-09, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by cracksky
To add to that Hanna-Barbera list:

Yogi Bear Complete
Jetsons Complete (early version)

Have these 2 been spotted?
I have not seen these two sets. Hopefully they will show up soon.
Old 07-20-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvd_daffy
If you love Yogi, be sure to grab the Huckleberry Hound DVD set too. It contains the earliest (and some of the funniest) Yogi cartoons made before he was spun-off onto his own show. The Huckleberry set contains the Pixie & Dixie & Mr. Jinks cartoons, too. Great stuff!
Oh, believe me, I will! If I can manage it I hope to get all of these great Hanna Barbera sets from Big Lots. I had no idea though that Yogi was ever on the Huckleberry Hound show though. That's awesome.
Old 07-20-09, 10:02 PM

COMING SOON:

Big Lots Part 6!

I love this thread
Old 07-20-09, 10:04 PM

Central Illinois poster here. Stopped by the East Peoria location five minutes before they closed and hit the jackpot. Picked up:

$10 Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volumes 1-5
The Flintstones Seasons 1-6
Popeye #1
Murphy Brown Season 1
Tales From the Crypt Season 3 (The only season they had)

I wanted to post to let anyone in the area know that they had one $10 Looney Tunes Collection left on the shelf, so it should still be there in the morning. I've had so much luck getting these deals as a result of the various posts that I just wanted to give someone else a chance to snag such an awesome deal.

Other sets spotted include:
Roots Collector's Set (About 10 copies)
Lois and Clark Seasons 1-3
Josie and the Pussycats
Pebbles and Bam-Bam
Batman:TAS Vol.1/Superman Vol.1 set
Top Cat
Wacky Races
The Space Ghost previously mentioned on this board
The War at Home

and several others

Thanks again to everyone on this board for providing the info.
Old 07-20-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go back and get that second Looney Tunes I'll trade you some other sets if you're looking for any. I really want that LT.
Old 07-20-09, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by -TRANCE-
Those from PA what locations have the $3 sets that you know of? I am very interested in Tales From The Crypt and The Larry King Interviews.
I saw at least one of the Larry King Interviews left at the Camp Hill location and more than one at the Harrisburg location this evening. Not much else of the $3 sets except I also saw the Tracy Takes On Season 1 and War at Home Season 1 at both locations.
Old 07-20-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I was gonna say... If you see two then grab both of them and trade it here. It's quite valuable in the exchange forum and you'll be helping out DVDTalkers.

That said... Cool of you to leave it. I left some $10 stuff here and it was grabbed by a fellow DVDTalker.

But that LT deal would be snapped up here in a heartbeat.

Myself, I'm not looking for it, but if I find it then I will let my peeps have it.
Old 07-20-09, 10:31 PM
ADP

Has anyone been seeing any other tv boxed sets other than the cartoons, crypt, etc

Mainly looking for any new releases of tv shows.

Also looking for Friends Seasons 2,4,8,10 in the Carolinas

Going to check a few different stores Thursday.
Old 07-20-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ADP
Has anyone been seeing any other tv boxed sets other than the cartoons, crypt, etc

Mainly looking for any new releases of tv shows.

Also looking for Friends Seasons 2,4,8,10 in the Carolinas

Going to check a few different stores Thursday.
The only shows being spotted are Drew Carey Show, War at Home, Murphy Brown, Night Court, Kung-Fu (I saw Season 3 today), Friends, The OC, Joey, West Wing, Dukes of Hazard, Dallas, Nip/Tuck, and maybe a couple of others. You're not going to find brand speaking new releases in this batch. All of these are a couple of years old or more.
Old 07-20-09, 10:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exciting! But uh, there are actually seven season box sets for "tales from the crypt"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude must be bored.
Old 07-20-09, 10:36 PM
ADP

Thanks!

I meant anything newer than what has been posted. Hoping for a new shipment of older ones. Macgyver or something on that order would be nice. I can only hope and keep searching...
Old 07-20-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ADP
Thanks!

I meant anything newer than what has been posted. Hoping for a new shipment of older ones. Macgyver or something on that order would be nice. I can only hope and keep searching...
These are only WB properties. The ones I listed are pretty much it. MacGyver is a Paramount show. But hey, with BL anything's possible. Some more could pop up next week.
Old 07-20-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
Kung-Fu (I saw Season 3 today)
Oh?

Shit.

Thanks... Now I have to search for that.

No, really, thanks.

I need to turn this thread off... yeesh.
Old 07-20-09, 10:51 PM

i've seen the first two seasons of the flintstones the second ones were all unsealed and 3 bucks. didn't get either though because i have no idea when i'd ever get around to watching them.
Old 07-20-09, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by strangetramp
i've seen the first two seasons of the flintstones the second ones were all unsealed and 3 bucks. didn't get either though because i have no idea when i'd ever get around to watching them.

For $3 do you REALLY need to figure out when you are going to watch it?

When do you see something like that for $3. Pick it up and you can always sell it down the road if you never watch it for more than $3.
NO BRAINER IN MY OPINION.

Last edited by doctaheath78; 07-20-09 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
For $3 do you REALLY need to figure out when you are going to watch it? When do you see something like that for $3. Pick it up and you can always sell it down the road if you never wtach it for more than $3.
NO BRAINER IN MY OPINION.
That's why I bought what I have so far. I know eventually I'll get to it, but $3 for these are a steal.
Old 07-20-09, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
That's why I bought what I have so far. I know eventually I'll get to it, but $3 for these are a steal.

HELLO McFLY.............sorry couldn't resist.

GOOD CALL McFLY.

Anyways.....I am sure not gonna pass up on a deal like this if I come across ANYTHING remotely good.
Old 07-20-09, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Not in the Eldersburg or Westminster stores.

If you see any seasons of Tales From The Crypt or the $10 Kubrick boxset I'd be glad to work out a trade with you for them

Sorry Seth, No Crypts or Kubrick Set that I could see aywhere near me currently.

I went to the Edgewood, MD location and they didn't have much. Grabbed a Josie, Space Ghost, Penelope Pitstop and a Wonder Woman full set. There was one more Wonder woman set left. Lots of War at Home and Popeye, a few Dastardly. Nothing special or different.

The cashier was the nicest lady and she did confirm there is another load in the back so I may go back but that local is kinda outta the way. One day I will walk into one of these places and see all the Flintstones and Looney Tunes.
Old 07-20-09, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cracksky
The gas is minimal compared to paying $3 per set. Plus, the hunt is the thing. This is good fun. Racing hoarders from store to store. Come on!

One of the managers I spoke with was very helpful and tells me exactly when the next truck arrives and when the dvd's will be out on the shelves. He even showed me the computer for the next order coming in (450 $3 boxed sets to be held until the 26th). Most of the titles were listed in bulk but some were specific like Popeye, Flintstones, etc...

I guess the ad for the 26th will mention the $3 sets and maybe show Hanna-Barbera specifically.
I will admit that there is a part of me that would relish the thought of arriving at the store the moment they are bringing out the DVD stock so I could buy it all (regardless of the cost) for no other reason to have the hoarders watch in disbelief while I carted everything out the door. When it comes to winning, money is no object.

However, I am smart with my time/money and prefer not to have to deal with the added stress that comes with trying to beat the hoarders, resellers and traders to the the store to buy DVD's. The way I figure it is that if I want it that badly, I can afford to buy it at retail prices if I have to.

You were very lucky to have found a manager that was so helpful and willing to actually share information. In my area, the employees and managers I have encountered were anything but helpful and seemed to lack even the most basic education. However, I managed to get the information I needed anyway because they were easily manipulated into telling me what I wanted to know.
Old 07-20-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You'd head on down to FYE, of course. And I for one wouldn't blame you.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9580960-post59.html
James, you're killing me. Let the record state, I'm not trading any sets into FYE that came from Big Lots. I will admit I have a few $3 movies from BL in the pile though.

Originally Posted by Brent L
Yeah, the BL employees act very weird, very defensive, when you ask them a question about anything at all. It's the same at each and every store. I wonder what's up with that.
I've hit many Big Lots in the last few weeks. The majority of employees are senior citizens it seems. Lots of older ladies, specifically. I don't aim to come across as casting stereotypes, but it's like this group doesn't care at all about the DVD deals.

Originally Posted by FilmJunkie29
Central Illinois poster here. Stopped by the East Peoria location five minutes before they closed and hit the jackpot.

I wanted to post to let anyone in the area know that they had one $10 Looney Tunes Collection left on the shelf, so it should still be there in the morning.
Just checked mapquest. About a 6 hour trip from my house to this store. If I left right now...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.