DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Old 07-20-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by Alterator
Hi all, I don't post that much here, but I just felt the need to help out my fellow BL DVDTalkers. I'm in the Orlando/Central Florida area, and did a check yesterday or these stores, all of which seem pretty cleaned out from the sale.

Longwood/SR17-92: not much at all, still some OC, a few Drew Carey S1, Dallas S7 (in amaray cases, like they were meant for Blockbuster rentals)

Sanford/SR17-92: a little more, a couple of Superfriends V2, Tracey Takes On S1, Flintstones S2&3.

Edgewater Dr: very nice store, very clean! But, picked over. A few Superfriends V2, Penelope Pitstop.

Casselberry/SR436: Flintstones S3 (all unwrapped, but in good shape).

Colonial/Waterford Lakes: Worst of all, didn't see ANY boxsets, very few DVDs, and no real sign that they've ever had them.

Over the last week or so, I have found some of the titles, but have never seen any Smallville sets, WW, Looney Tunes/$10 sets, Wacky Races, Batman Animated, etc. I don't know if it's just unlucky, or they're all being bought up by traders/sellers.

I'll be checking out a few again on the way home from work today, so I'll post when I have updates.
Central FL has 13 BL and they get the newer titles about 2 weeks after alot of other places get them

Last edited by darkhawk; 07-20-09 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-20-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Big Lots in Danvers, MA only had about 10 copies of the West Wing, and that's it for TV boxed sets.
Old 07-20-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Would anyone be willing to buy some of those Hanna Barbera box sets for me and I'll pay them? I'm not having much luck on the trade front.
Old 07-20-09, 08:22 AM

Anyone in Denver find the Hanna Barbera sets?
Old 07-20-09, 09:26 AM

I stopped on Saturday at the Chillicothe, OH store. There was a decent selection there... could have been better, could have been worse.

I picked up: Pinky and the Brain volumes 1 & 2, Batman:TAS Season 4, Dukes of Hazard season 4, and Superfriends volume 2.

They also had plenty of Joey Season 1, West Wing, Roots 30th Edition, Thundercats, Dynasty, and a few others. I haven't noticed anyone mention this yet, but this store had a few copies of "Life Goes On" Season 1 also.

Sadly, no HB cartoons, or Looney Tunes... I may stop by again tonight just to see if anything is left after the big 20% Sunday sale.
Old 07-20-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bcink
I haven't seen any Tales From The Crypt since the beginning. I live close to the Turfland store, so I've been checking it regularly and will probably keep doing so for a while longer.

Thanks for returning that Smallville S7 Blu-ray. I picked it up Thursday night and traded on here for a set that I needed.
Cool... No prob, glad you could use it!

Guess I'll check again a few times during the week for the next few weeks as well...
Old 07-20-09, 09:44 AM

Checked three of the Toledo stores this morning.

Miracle Mile: Nothing new--no H/B discs at all, no $10 boxes. Don't think they ever got any. Just the same Dallas/Dukes/Joey, etc.

Alexis: Seasons 1-3 of Flintstones, Tracey Takes On 1, War At Home 1. No $10 sets.

Byrne/Glendale: Tracey, Popeye Vol. 1, a couple of the Lakers sets, more Joey.Again, no $10 sets.

Didn't buy anything. Considering I checked out the first two on Sat. morning means that they either a) didn't stock until Sat. afternoon/Sunday morning or b) didn't really get or put out any of the H/B sets or the $10 sets mentioned in other posts. I'm really looking for the Space Ghost, as well as the Looney Tunes and Powerpuff for gifts.
Old 07-20-09, 09:50 AM

Checked 3 Louisville stores this morning....nothing of note.
Old 07-20-09, 09:55 AM

I checked the BL store locater and realized that from where I live, there were two stores in nearby cities that were as close as the ones I regularly go to.

So yesterday... road trip!

At the Athens, AL BL, I got:

Bad Education: Original Uncut NC-17 Version (which I never expected to see down here)
The Baxter (only because I heard an interview with Michael Showalter this past week)
The Falcon and the Snowman (with booklet inside)
Girl with Green Eyes
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Prince of the City: Two-Disc Special Edition
Tracey Takes On…: Season One

This was the only store that had any of the new box sets. They also had Jacques Cousteau, Miss Marple (Helen Hayes), Larry King, Mission Hill and Popeye V1. They also had an unusual way of displaying DVD. In addition to the regular bin and wire rack, they attached plastic hangers to some of the DVDs and hung them on a pegboard. Eyecatching, but not convenient to look through.

Then on to the Decatur, AL store. They had DVDs in three different locations in the store, so make sure you find them all. No boxsets, but plenty of the new WB $3 DVDs including ones I hadn't seen before. (The receipt calls them "Topaz assortment".) So I picked up:

Back to Bataan (The John Wayne Collection)
Cabaret
(snapper in Academy Awards O-ring sleeve)
The Fugitive Kind
Graffiti Bridge
Hero At Large
McQ (The John Wayne Collection)
Mrs. Soffel
Pennies From Heaven
Pleasantville
Ride Him, Cowboy (The John Wayne Collection)
The Story of Seabiscuit

Plus both stores were honoring the 20% off coupon all day, so I ended up getting 18 DVDs each for $2.40 plus tax.

I also found out that the BL in north Huntsville gets its shipments in on Wednesday, and out on the floor on Thursday.

I think this is turning into the world's biggest scavenger hunt.
Old 07-20-09, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
I checked the BL store locater and realized that from where I live, there were two stores in nearby cities that were as close as the ones I regularly go to.
And here is a quick link to that Big Lots store locator- http://www.biglots.com/store_locator_adv.aspx
Currently, the Big Lots website lists store hours as-
Monday - Saturday
9 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Sunday
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Some stores offer extended hours. Check with your local Big Lots for details.
Old 07-20-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I went to the Milford MA. store yesterday and Nothin' !

We did pick up one DVD Queen Christina ~ Greta Garbo
Old 07-20-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Big Lots on Parmer in Austin was a freakin' madhouse yesterday with the 20% off sale. I had been there earlier in the week and found nothing, and the racks looked the same yesterday, but upon closer look, I found a Batman Animated Vol. 2 for $3, so obviously some restocking had happened. I found the Batman Animated Vol. 1 coupled with Superman Animated Vol. 1 for $3 at the William Cannon store and they were both individually shrinkwrapped, so I didn't have that sticker problem mentioned by someone here earlier.

Also, to the person that found the Wonder Woman set that had the bonus disc in the third volume, what's on that disc? I never heard of that before.
Old 07-20-09, 10:34 AM

What's up with the St.louis stores.
Has anyone seen a decent restock yet. I live close to the S. Peters store and have been in there several times an nothing. Iv'e been into a couple more and called all of them and nothing new.
I don't think the St. Louis Big Lots stores have ever gotten any of the Hanna Barberra set other thatn "the New Scooby Movies" and "Wait Til' Your Father Gets Home".
No Looney Tunes, no Popeye sets, no Tales From The Crypt.
Old 07-20-09, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot
Checked 3 Louisville stores this morning....nothing of note.
Have you seen Birdman and the Galaxy Trio and
Space Ghost & Dino Boy at any Louisville store?
I can't find them anywhere. That's the main 2 I'm looking for, also looking for
S1, S5, S6 & S7 of Tale from the Crypt found 2-4 at Newcut a few days ago.
Old 07-20-09, 11:05 AM

Got Birdman last wk at the Breck lane store, haven't seen Space Ghost anywhere yet.
Haven't seen Birdman since.
Checked out New Cut for the first time this morning, they didn't have much at all of interest.

Last edited by TropicalRobot; 07-20-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-20-09, 11:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Has anyone in the Tucson area seen any restocks since last thursday?? the one on Ina and Thornydale got a stock of all the $3 stuff and restock of the $6 stuff last friday, while the one on Roger and Oracle hasn't gotten ANY of the $3 tv sets or any type of restock as of yesterday morning. Didn't try the 2 eastside stores cuz of gas prices, but if anyone knows if there has been any restocks that would be awesome
Old 07-20-09, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot
Got Birdman last wk at the Breck lane store, haven't seen Space Ghost anywhere yet.
Haven't seen Birdman since.
Checked out New Cut for the first time this morning, they didn't have much at all of interest.
New Cut had alot on Friday. I think these sets are going quick.
Old 07-20-09, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dullboy
Also, to the person that found the Wonder Woman set that had the bonus disc in the third volume, what's on that disc? I never heard of that before.
An episode of Shazam!
Old 07-20-09, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by cornbetts
Anyone in Denver find the Hanna Barbera sets?
I'm not in Denver, but some HB sets have shown up in western Colorado.
Old 07-20-09, 12:09 PM
Banned

Called two local stores today who get their shipments in on Mondays. They told me to call back tomorrow because they wont even know what they got in until then. And even if they did get them in they wouldn't have them out until Tuesday/Wednesday. So fingers crossed for tomorrow!
Old 07-20-09, 12:13 PM

Seems like it takes 1-3 days after the truck arrives for stuff to hit the floor. I know that the truck arrives Wednesday here and the DVD's aren't out until Friday or Saturday. Of course, that doesn't keep me from going on Wednesday and Thursday, cause I'm sick like that.
Old 07-20-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Middletown, NY - was picked clean yesterday with the sale. they did have a bunch of s3 ofsix feet under and s1 of Joey tho.

Newburgh, NY - looks like the exact same dvds they had last time i went 6 months ago
Old 07-20-09, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NCC1701E
Seems like it takes 1-3 days after the truck arrives for stuff to hit the floor. I know that the truck arrives Wednesday here and the DVD's aren't out until Friday or Saturday. Of course, that doesn't keep me from going on Wednesday and Thursday, cause I'm sick like that.
Ohh def... I'll be there every day this week to see what came in on Mondays truck!
Old 07-20-09, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jones
What's up with the St.louis stores.
Has anyone seen a decent restock yet. I live close to the S. Peters store and have been in there several times an nothing. Iv'e been into a couple more and called all of them and nothing new.
I don't think the St. Louis Big Lots stores have ever gotten any of the Hanna Barberra set other thatn "the New Scooby Movies" and "Wait Til' Your Father Gets Home".
No Looney Tunes, no Popeye sets, no Tales From The Crypt.
I live close to the Lemay Ferry store and have seen almost nothing mentioned in this discussion. I may eventually cry.
Old 07-20-09, 01:18 PM

maybe, if enough people email big lots corp offices complaining about the horders cleaning them out of multiple copies of the better titles, they will institute a policy limitting how many copies of each title one person can buy. I sent them such an email and I suggest that as many people as possible do the same, they is a section of thier home page that says "contact us" where you can do just that. personally, I would love to see the look on some horder's face when they come up to the register with a shopping cart full of box sets, and the clerk tells them something like "sorry, 2 of each title per customer is the most you can buy" maybe the greedy yuppy f-k will start wining and crying and throw the typical tantrum

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.