DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Ollie’s Bargain Outlet (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/558072-ollie%92s-bargain-outlet.html)

thetao 12-27-10 09:43 PM

Re: Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

If no one noticed, TV boxed sets are hitting Ollies now. Perhaps not a selection worth bragging about, but it's something. The three Ollies in Lancaster and York are selling

The Fat Albert Greatest Hits collection (pictured above)
McHale's Navy: Season 2
Spin City: Season 1
Here's Lucy: Best loved episodes

added:
Designing Women: Season 1
Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats (24 episodes)

and probably something else. I believe they are $10.99 each. And I noticed a Casablanca 3-disk boxed set in West York...but somebody had tried to open the top of the box in the same way you'd open a box of, umm, instant mashed potatoes. Really ugly. :(

bigjim25 12-28-10 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 10562525)
The three Ollies in Lancaster and York are selling

The Fat Albert Greatest Hits collection (pictured above)
McHale's Navy: Season 2
Spin City: Season 1
Here's Lucy: Best loved episodes

and probably something else. I believe they are $10.99 each.

I'd buy Spin City for that price. Hopefully I can get to Ollie's soon if the snow ever quits.

ernestrp 04-27-11 07:32 PM

Today, Ollie's had Bonnie and Clyde Ultimate edition for 9.99 and Rio Bravo Ultimate edition for 6.99. The bar code seemed to just have a sticker covering it up on the outer packaging. I already have B&C UE and just 2 disc Rio Bravo without the added paper materials.

Ollie's also had some Blu-ray titles for 9.99 but I can not remember the titles, nor would I ever consider purchasing them.

junglalien 04-27-11 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp (Post 10745715)
Ollie's also had some Blu-ray titles for 9.99 but I can not remember the titles, nor would I ever consider purchasing them.

Oh man, can't you remember even one title? $10 BDs might be worth a trip.

petroStation 04-27-11 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by junglalien (Post 10745729)

I can sympathize... I probably saw the same ones and they were unremarkable... but I do remember one... <B>17 Again</B> :-).

ernestrp 04-30-11 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by junglalien (Post 10745729)

17 again, license to wed and No Reservations.

Shinobi 04-30-11 02:53 PM

Re: Found these today!

Originally Posted by bigjim25 (Post 10369600)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...vL._SS500_.jpg
The Rat Pack Ultimate Collectors Edition (Ocean's 11 / Robin and the 7 Hoods / 4 for Texas / Sergeants 3) $7.99

My Ollie's had the 3-disc Rat Pack Collection (Ocean's 11 / Robin and the 7 Hoods / 4 for Texas) for $7.99, rather than the Ultimate 4-disc version shown above.

They also had Mighty Joe Young for $5, and American Splendor for $3. I bought none of these, but I might go back for the American Splendor disc.

thetao 05-01-11 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp (Post 10745715)
Today, Ollie's had Bonnie and Clyde Ultimate edition for 9.99 and Rio Bravo Ultimate edition for 6.99.
[...]

Thanks for the tip. I was doing some driving anyway, so stopped at 3 local Ollies. Picked up B&C (the same price as Amazon Marketplace when you add shipping, but at least I know it didn't fall off a truck) and noticed these

How the West Was Won: Ultimate Collector's Edition $7.99
Rio Bravo: Ultimate Collector's Edition $5.99
Sam Elliott Western Collection (3 keepcase movies) $9.99
Troy Director's Cut: Ultimate Collector's Edition $9.99
loads more of the Woody Woodpecker Volume 2 set and the Rat Pack 3 disk set, mentioned earlier.
didn't notice any Blu-rays, but see them for $9.99 (and sometimes less) at local Ross stores.

I also noticed a single copy of 300, which appeared to be the 2-disk widescreen edition in a wrap-around, metal slipcover (not a steelbook). The cover was just the "300" logo on a blank background, with no additional artwork. A quick web search turned up no traces, so am guessing it was originally sold as a retail promo.

bigjim25 05-01-11 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shinobi (Post 10750151)
My Ollie's had the 3-disc Rat Pack Collection (Ocean's 11 / Robin and the 7 Hoods / 4 for Texas) for $7.99, rather than the Ultimate 4-disc version shown above.

The 4 disc sets have been gone for awhile. Here's the 300 cover for anyone who's interested. I actually bought one.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqMOKis...nWgiRw~~_3.JPG

kd5 05-01-11 04:41 PM

The Ollie's Bargain Outlet at the Eastwood Mall in Niles, Ohio must get everyone's cast-offs. My wife & I went there probably a week ago, I browsed the DVDs while she looked at other stuff, I didn't see anything there that was worth the $$$ they were asking. I saw alot of $5 DVDs that I'd seen at BigLots for $3, and other stuff I just wasn't interested in. Maybe someone with different tastes than mine would have a field day in there but I left empty-handed. -kd5-

ernestrp 05-01-11 05:50 PM

They had the 2 disc Dirty Dozen SE for 4.99 today. The cheapest place on-line is 24.02. It did have the bar code slashed though.

rmw650 05-01-11 06:12 PM

Re: Found these today!

Originally Posted by Shinobi (Post 10750151)

They also had Mighty Joe Young for $5, and American Splendor for $3. I bought none of these, but I might go back for the American Splendor disc.

I would absolutely love that set at that great price, but alas, no Ollie's here in Chicago.

thetao 05-01-11 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10751570)
I browsed the DVDs while she looked at other stuff, I didn't see anything there that was worth the $$$ they were asking. I saw alot of $5 DVDs that I'd seen at BigLots for $3, and other stuff I just wasn't interested in. Maybe someone with different tastes than mine would have a field day in there but I left empty-handed.

I tend to agree. It isn't that their titles are uninteresting (although the Lancaster store also currently looks like a lot of odds and ends), but I rarely find title/price combinations that prompt me into buying something immediately. Too many $5 titles, basically, and I keep waiting for a sale (which Ollies does run sometimes), but so far nada. Somebody is buying them. Months ago, Lancaster had probably 50 copies of No Country For Old Men, but a few weeks later they were all gone. I've also seen up to 20 copies of other titles go quickly, the original The Producers (with slipcover), The Reader, and Little Shop Of Horrors. Just as in the Wal Mart thread here, I suppose the answer is obvious: not every DVD shopper is as price conscious as us.

ernestrp 05-03-11 08:38 PM

Yes Man and Mr. Woodcock, Blu-ray, for 9.99, each.

ernestrp 07-05-11 02:42 PM

I Am Legend, 7.99. 3 Disc, Ultimate Collectors Edition with 44 page sketch book, 6 art cards and a Collectible Lenticular! I had the 15% off coupon so it was like 6.80.

Dr. Phibes 07-05-11 04:08 PM

I almost got I Am Legend today, but I remembered I didn't really like the movie so I passed on it. I don't remember much about the movie but while standing there I suddenly recalled that Shrek scene and put the box back down. I'm usually a sucker for those ridiculous huge box sets, but I am running out of space so I'm trying to stop buying them. Of course I bought the Wanted set from Amazon a couple of days ago so I can't always stop myself.

They had some other sets too:

Troy - Director's Cut - Ultimate Collector's Edition (196 Minute Version) - $9.99
Rio Bravo - Ultimate Collector's Edition - $5.99
How the West Was Won - Ultimate Collector’s Edition - $7.99
Bonnie and Clyde - Ultimate Collector’s Edition - $9.99
Gone with the Wind - 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collectors Edition - $29.99 (Not that great actually, the Blu Ray version can be had for like $40)

thetao 07-09-11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp (Post 10842442)
I Am Legend, 7.99. 3 Disc, Ultimate Collectors Edition with 44 page sketch book, 6 art cards and a Collectible Lenticular! I had the 15% off coupon so it was like 6.80.

Thanks for the tip. Just bought one at the Lancaster, PA Ollies. I had never seen the packaging before and was expecting something just a little thicker than a regular keepcase. Wow, that's a big box!

I am just hoping now that I won't start seeing them at Ross's for $5.99 in the next 2-3 weeks...

thetao 08-05-11 02:12 AM

Visited the local Ollies tonight, and while they did have some new (forgettable) titles, what stood out was several copies of the Superman Ultimate Edition (14 DVD's in a thick, silver tin case) for $24.99.

And for the record, the I Am Legend Ultimate Collectors Edition has yet to appear at Ross. ;)

thetao 10-12-11 10:34 PM

Hard to believe I'm the only person updating this thread. I bought the "King Kong Collection" 4xDVD set (the special Target Edition) at the local Ollies tonight for $9.99, no cut out. Spent ages researching it on my smartphone before purchase, but neglected to check the price on Amazon, where it sells for around $8. Sigh. At least I could pick it out myself and know it doesn't look like it was hit by a truck. I love the packaging and the extras, but what sold me was remembering Ollies asking $5 a cut-out copy of only Mighty Joe Young in early 2011! Glad I waited.

A few weeks ago, I also bought the 2-disk Rebel Without a Cause for $4.99. Mostly sold out now.

They also have so many copies of the Gone With the Wind 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition ($29.99 ?) that they are practically falling into the aisle!

EuroThree 10-14-11 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ernestrp (Post 10842442)

Wow! That's a deal. I thought I got mine for cheap.

My store also had Goonies in Christmas wrapping paper for $4.99.

mike07 10-14-11 11:02 AM

Wow, I had no idea there was a Ollie's in NY... I always hit up that store when I drive through Pennsylvania, but haven't in the last couple years. Glad to find out there's one about 35-40 minute drive from where I am - gotta check it out someday.

Cabbage 10-14-11 01:32 PM

At a Ollie's in Newark, Ohio, I found a copy of the Warner Home Video release "Max Fleischer's Superman 1941-1942" containing the 17 Superman cartoons from Paramount. Only $4.99!

rmw650 10-14-11 06:21 PM

That's a hell of a deal as Best Buy wants 25 bucks for it.

ernestrp 10-30-11 04:59 PM

Lawrence of Arabia 2-disc, 2.99. Its the first SE release back in 2001. Supposed to have something wrong with the color from what I have heard.

thetao 04-09-12 02:38 PM

Not a lot new at Ollies since before Christmas, but I noticed these recently:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3-pack Boxed Set: $9.99 (three keep cases in a sturdy box...but there are likely better/cheaper sets elsewhere)
2) Blade Runner: 4-disk Collectors Edition: $6.99
3) Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition: $19.99 (they had these before, but I believe the price was higher)