Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Buying/Selling Used Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying/Selling Used Question

This may not be considered a "deal" but wasn't sure where else to put it...

With FYE 20% more for used DVDs deal (in addition to some of their coupons/blu-ray deals), I was looking at taking a bunch of DVDs up there, but some of their trade-in values are as low as $.05, so I started looking around at who else takes used DVDs.

I plan on taking credit as compared to cash, so I see this as "where can I get the best bang for the buck". I looked at secondspin, but their trade-in values are identical to FYE/Wherehouse. I looked at spun.com, and many of the lower DVDs from FYE are much higher value there, but will credit be useful? I know there are frequent sales at secondspin.com and FYE (also local).

I'd very much like to know who the DVDTalk community is using for selling/buying used DVDs...
Old 07-11-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Buying/Selling Used Question

I usually sell mine to DVDPlanet or Newtownvideo.com (the latter only pays cash, either via mail or PayPal).
Old 07-13-09, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by imp66
This may not be considered a "deal" but wasn't sure where else to put it...

With FYE 20% more for used DVDs deal (in addition to some of their coupons/blu-ray deals), I was looking at taking a bunch of DVDs up there, but some of their trade-in values are as low as $.05, so I started looking around at who else takes used DVDs.
If you are patient, you can get a decent deal at half.com, run by Ebay. You set your own price on any DVD and there are no listing fees. Once you list it, it stays there until you remove it or it sells. If you sell it, half/ebay takes a 15% commission and you then mail it to the buyer (you get a shipping allowance). Your money goes directly to your bank account every month. You can see what everyone else is selling a DVD for as well. If there are 100 DVDs listed for $2-3, you can tell right away there's no use in trying to sell yours for $5-6.

I've sold a number of DVDs that way. Some of my less desirable titles haven't sold yet, but I'd rather wait a while and get a couple of bucks than get a nickel right away.
Old 07-13-09, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I also use Newtownvideo. I don't like to deal with selling on an individual DVD by DVD basis so I wait until I have at least 16 items with a value of $2 or more so I can get a shipping and insurance allowance. I prefer cash and find Newtownvideo to give more from a cash perspective then SecondSpin. I am just sending in my 5th transaction with them from over the past 3 or 4 years.

Some items are just not going to fetch much and you are better off just keeping them, giving them away, or putting them in a community garage sale for $1 each. There is a reason many titles show up in $3 - $5 bins at your local Walmarts and similar places, so don't expect to get anything for them in trade.
Old 07-13-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything worth over $1 I traded in @ FYE.
Old 07-13-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I sell to DVD Planet for credit, though I occasionally take high-value titles to half.com and sell them there. It's a lot more trouble to ship and sell them individually on half, but if I think I can fetch a significant amount of cash, I'll spend the extra time and energy.
Old 07-13-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can send your list of titles to me...I can offer credit at dvdplanet.com-you will have it in time for 25% off sale coming up.
Just let me now what you are wanting and if there are scratches(I will take).
Old 07-13-09, 11:34 AM

If you're interested in trading for other titles, two sites you might take a look at are swapadvd.com and swaptree.com. My wife has been using those to trade off various children's videos our daughter has outgrown in exchange for other titles she might like.

With swapadvd, you accrue one credit for each disc (multiple-disc sets earn multiple credits) which you can use toward any available disc; or be placed in a queue for more popular/rarer titles, which does grow tiresome, but eventually you'll move up in line.

Swaptree, on the other hand, does even swaps between members; depending on what others are looking for, you might even luck out and swap a popular 1-disc DVD for a multiple-disc TV series. So those are two alternatives that might offer something better if a title isn't fetching much cash or credit on a sell site.
Old 07-13-09, 03:18 PM

I compare sell values at three sites: DVDPlanet, SecondSpin, and the new Amazon Trade-In program. Depending on who offers the most, I'll send the particular title(s) to that place. Keep in mind that SS periodically offers a code good for an additional 20% credit, so keep that in mind when doing your comparisons.

I recently sent in Star Trek Season 1 Remastered HD-DVD combo to Amazon's Trade-In program because they offered $29.25 for it. SS only offered $16.50 (19.80 with a future 20% bonus code) and DVDPLanet isn't even accepting it. So it definitely pays to compare sites before you sell something.
Old 07-14-09, 11:21 AM
Banned

I take all mine to pawn shops that also sell DVDs so I can get store credit to buy more! They are usually pretty good.
Old 07-14-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Another vote for half.com. Since it stays till it sells, you don't have to constantly babysit the auctions or re-list when they don't sell. I do recommend however periodically checking your prices against other similar items for sale, sometimes dropping your price by a nickel will net you a sale.
Old 07-14-09, 12:50 PM

I like selling at amazon.com. I have sold on eBay and half.com, and frankly you get a better class of customer at amazon.com. Assuming you describe your product honestly, pack the product carefully, and ship promptly, you will have few complaints. In fact, my rating is 100% at amazon. Often you can get a higher price at amazon -- not always. This evens things out, as their commissions are higher. But if your items don't sell, you pay nothing. There are pros and cons to everything, I suppose. I see little advantage to Second Spin. Why give them the profit, unless your time is very valuable and you don't want to ship items out individually?
Old 07-14-09, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by moonraker
I compare sell values at three sites: DVDPlanet, SecondSpin, and the new Amazon Trade-In program. Depending on who offers the most, I'll send the particular title(s) to that place. Keep in mind that SS periodically offers a code good for an additional 20% credit, so keep that in mind when doing your comparisons.

I recently sent in Star Trek Season 1 Remastered HD-DVD combo to Amazon's Trade-In program because they offered $29.25 for it. SS only offered $16.50 (19.80 with a future 20% bonus code) and DVDPLanet isn't even accepting it. So it definitely pays to compare sites before you sell something.
You should try Newtownvideo.com sometime for comparison. They are currently offerring $32.66 for the Star Trek Season 1 Remastered HD-DVD combo. While I haven't tried Amazon's trade-in program yet, I've found newtown to always give more then SecoondSpin.
Old 07-14-09, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bsmith
You should try Newtownvideo.com sometime for comparison. They are currently offerring $32.66 for the Star Trek Season 1 Remastered HD-DVD combo. While I haven't tried Amazon's trade-in program yet, I've found newtown to always give more then SecoondSpin.
Thanks for the tip, I will keep them in mind for future trade-ins. One nice thing about the Amazon trade-in program is that they give you a pre-paid mailing label so you don't have to pay to ship your stuff to them.
Old 07-15-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a comparison earlier between Secondspin and Newtown.
Title---------------Secondspin--------Newtown------DVDPlanet
One Hour Photo...........$0.05...........Overstocked.........$2.99
The Descent...............$0.10................$0.05.............$2.99
Bonnie and Clyde.........$2.00................$2.79..........Not buying
Be Cool......................$1.00...........Overstocked.........$2.99
Escape From Alcatraz...$2.00................$1.97.............$2.59
La Petite Lili...........Overstocked...........$8.53..........Not buying
Crackers Season Two...$8.00................$1.86..........Not buying

Conclusion...No clear winner. Newtown appears to pay $$ for somewhat obscure, or foreign language titles. The DVDPlanet prices are from about a month or more past. Their site hasn't been available for a few days; server problems?
Old 07-15-09, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by moonraker
Thanks for the tip, I will keep them in mind for future trade-ins. One nice thing about the Amazon trade-in program is that they give you a pre-paid mailing label so you don't have to pay to ship your stuff to them.
Newtown will provide a shipping credit if you package 16 or more disks worth $2 or more in trade and insurance credit for a package valued at $50 or more. Not quite as good as Amazon but I usually wait until I have a decent amount to trade before taking the effort.
Old 07-15-09, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
I did a comparison earlier between Secondspin and Newtown.
Title---------------Secondspin--------Newtown------DVDPlanet
One Hour Photo...........$0.05...........Overstocked.........$2.99
The Descent...............$0.10................$0.05.............$2.99
Bonnie and Clyde.........$2.00................$2.79..........Not buying
Be Cool......................$1.00...........Overstocked.........$2.99
Escape From Alcatraz...$2.00................$1.97.............$2.59
La Petite Lili...........Overstocked...........$8.53..........Not buying
Crackers Season Two...$8.00................$1.86..........Not buying

Conclusion...No clear winner. Newtown appears to pay $$ for somewhat obscure, or foreign language titles. The DVDPlanet prices are from about a month or more past. Their site hasn't been available for a few days; server problems?
Newtown gives cash. Doesn't DVDPlanet only offer store credit? Also, regarding secondspin are those prices for cash or store credit? While I generally put the money back into other DVDs I like the flexibility to buy where ever I get the best price thats why I only want cash.

The end result, if you are trying to get rid of common titles or store bin stuff you will find a hard time doing it since they have little value. Best to probably just stick them on a table at a yard sale.
Old 07-15-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVDPlanet prices are from about a month or more past. Their site hasn't been available for a few days; server problems?
DVDPlanet is unavailable for some people, not some days. There seems to be some kind of DNS problem or something. Check the sticky DVDPlanet thread at the top of the forum for more discussion about it. Or the one in the Store forum. I have to use AnchorFree's HotSpot Shield as a proxy to see the site.
Old 07-15-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bsmith
Newtown gives cash. Doesn't DVDPlanet only offer store credit? Also, regarding secondspin are those prices for cash or store credit? While I generally put the money back into other DVDs I like the flexibility to buy where ever I get the best price thats why I only want cash.
The prices for Secondspin are cash right now without any bonus; the FYE nearest me doesn't buy/sell used so no Brown Bag bonus available. DVDPlanet is store credit only.
Old 07-15-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...the FYE nearest me doesn't buy/sell used so no Brown Bag bonus available...
your local fye only sells new dvds and cds? that sounds really weird to me!
Old 07-15-09, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

2 out of the 45 DVDs I sent to SecondSpin were worth less than $1. Most were $2-$4 while DVDPlanet gave me far, far less. I'm happy with my $120 deposited into my Paypal account 9 days after I sent them a box via MediaMail. They will get my business again in the future!
Old 07-16-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hindolio
your local fye only sells new dvds and cds? that sounds really weird to me!
Midtown Manhattan was not interested in used merchandise.

Hey, they wouldn't even honor the national FYE ad. Told me I'd have to go to Queens to get those prices.