Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off from 7/17 Through 8/2, 2009

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off from 7/17 Through 8/2, 2009

Old 07-01-09, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

I wasn't trying to start a price argument, as I was saying only 2 of the things in my wishlist have gone up in price at all... but unfortunately they have both gone up a lot... and were two of about five things I planned on ordering. No complaints, I love DD, that just kind of sucks for me. I didn't think either were a "sale" price, but I could've been wrong.
Old 07-01-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
Im also wanting to get the Budd Boetticher set. I just checked the price at DDD and now it's up to $37.89

Assholes. this sucks.
25% off of that price is $28 and change. that doesn't suck at all. I knew it was part of some sale or another...was just curious if anyone knew it's more common regular price. looks like it will be an even better deal in two weeks

It amuses me to no end that people expect them to keep sale prices during their big across the board sale. The whining about it is just annoying. I only asked about the Boetticher/HIMYM sets because i wasn't sure how much they were before the current sale they were part of. I know they will go up....it would be stupid to expect them to stay $16 until the big sale.
Old 07-01-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to OP for the dates on the anticipated sale. I wish it was now but will just have to wait the 2 weeks like everybody else. Some of my things have went up and some have went down but all cheaper than I can get elsewhere so I will be happy.
Old 07-01-09, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

They'll definitely raise their prices accordingly as they eliminate other sales going on, and match the prices of sales going on other websites.
Old 07-01-09, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brizz
25% off of that price is $28 and change. that doesn't suck at all. I knew it was part of some sale or another...was just curious if anyone knew it's more common regular price. looks like it will be an even better deal in two weeks

It amuses me to no end that people expect them to keep sale prices during their big across the board sale. The whining about it is just annoying.
I know what you mean. Checking the standard search engines the current best price from the major vendors is BB and when you take into account shipping and tax they are back up around the $37 price range. So at $30 DD was already below the other by about 20% but some feel cheated if that can't get another 25% off on top of that.

I also run searches to compare prices again during the sale and as long as I feel like I am getting a bargain during the DD sale I don't really care if it only works out to be 15% off from the best other price in the end. A good deal is a good deal regardless of the percentage difference to me.
Old 07-01-09, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by bsmith
I also run searches to compare prices again during the sale and as long as I feel like I am getting a bargain during the DD sale I don't really care if it only works out to be 15% off from the best other price in the end. A good deal is a good deal regardless of the percentage difference to me.
At this point, being mostly a vintage TV on DVD collector, I know that with a little patience and a sale here and there (either the upcoming DD sale or any of the many others that occur during the year) I can get what I want for 50% off the MSRP. And in these difficult economic times that's my new holdout price - 50% off. I won't budge for less of a discount, over all, than that. If the prices on the shows I have in my DD wishlist don't go up any between now and the sale, then with a 25% coupon I'll get that half off price point on all the items I want. If for some reason some of the prices go up, I'll just pass on those items and bide my time. But I see no reason for anyone to complain. Almost every release comes down to at least 50% off within 3 to 6 months of release. Just takes a little patience.
Old 07-01-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brizz

It amuses me to no end that people expect them to keep sale prices during their big across the board sale. The whining about it is just annoying. I only asked about the Boetticher/HIMYM sets because i wasn't sure how much they were before the current sale they were part of. I know they will go up....it would be stupid to expect them to stay $16 until the big sale.
Don't get me wrong - I love DD as much as the next person, and my comment was not a rant, I just like to save as much as possible.

The Boetticher set is steep anywhere else - up to the $40 range someplaces. I'll be getting it at DD opening sale day. The seven or so other titles I'll get are holding at price or have gone down anyway. Yaneedtachillbro.
Old 07-02-09, 06:53 AM

Star Trek the Motion Picture Collection up to $90.30. That's hilarious. Will they price match Amazon during the sale? Surely they don't count the coupon discount toward the match.
Old 07-02-09, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Staggerly
Star Trek the Motion Picture Collection up to $90.30. That's hilarious. Will they price match Amazon during the sale? Surely they don't count the coupon discount toward the match.
They will still price match, but they aren't going to match the price and then take off an additional 25% when someone else has it on sale at the same time. It just so happens Amazon and Walmart have good prices on that set right now. Generally, I would say about 55% off list is about the best you can expect. That being about 30% off list as their standard discount and another 25% for the sale.
Old 07-02-09, 08:35 AM

I'm glad I bit the last time Best Buy had it at $65. My plan was to return my DD copy to BB, but since the price has gone up so much I'm just happy I picked it up at BB when I did and didn't wait for the DD sale.
Old 07-02-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny. I always thought the excitement of these sales would end soon.

Good luck to everyone.
Old 07-02-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

at $90.30, with 25% off the total would be $67.73.
Depending on what you paid in sales tax (here it's almost 9%), DD would still come out cheaper than snagging it on sale at BB.
I picked it up there too because I had a Rewards Zone coupon for $15, so I got it for just under $55.

Speaking of price raises, I don't expect the Battlestar Galactica Bd set to stay at its current price of $222.xx. However, they can still raise it to a whopping $280 and with the 25% off, you would STILL save $10 more than the current pre-order price.
I hope they don't (raise it too much), but I'm expecting to hear a lot of people bitch to high heaven when they do...even though they would likely still come out ahead.
If I can get it for under $200, I'll be a real happy camper. Not expecting 50% off (which would be $175) but anything between that and $200 I would consider an great bargain- especially when you price out the per season cost.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-02-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

Speaking of price raises, I don't expect the Battlestar Galactica Bd set to stay at its current price of $222.xx.
Interesting, it was $239 when I added it to my wish list, after this thread went up.
Old 07-02-09, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Numes
Anyone else prefer it when there was no "official announcement" and it just all the sudden started one day? It was exciting. Now knowing about it (weeks) ahead of time just kind of takes some of the luster/fun out of it IMHO.
I'm with you. The announcement has taken some of the pizzaz out of the event. Maybe they were being bombarded with inquiries and decided to give us our lolipop and shut us up.
Old 07-02-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I got tired of waiting and was able to pare down my admittedly small wish list with Fry's recent BD deals. DD can go suck it with their so-called "sale".
Old 07-02-09, 09:52 AM

They will still price match, but they aren't going to match the price and then take off an additional 25% when someone else has it on sale at the same time. It just so happens Amazon and Walmart have good prices on that set right now. Generally, I would say about 55% off list is about the best you can expect. That being about 30% off list as their standard discount and another 25% for the sale.
Are you suggesting that Amazon's price is a sale price? I can't find any sale notice in Amazon's listing (and it's been at that same price since it began shipping, to the best of my recollection). I just find it hard to believe they would apply an optional coupon's value to the price match, because surely not all of their customers know of the coupon, right?

(I don't feel I'm entitled to a greater discount; I'm just trying to figure out all the angles.)
Old 07-02-09, 10:10 AM
Banned

Looking forward to getting Battlestar 4.5, it went up to $34.52, which makes it $25.89 after the discount. Still a good enough deal for me if the price holds.

Gotta look at what else to get.
Old 07-02-09, 10:38 AM

For all the detractors to the DD sale...keep in mind that some of us pay sales tax when we visit a Fry's, B&N or Amazon (a whopping 9.5% in WA). Thus, I prefer the online sales.

Last edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky; 07-02-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 12:19 PM

Generally, I would say about 55% off list is about the best you can expect. That being about 30% off list as their standard discount and another 25% for the sale.
Actually, that comes out to 47.5% off list price, not 55%.
Old 07-02-09, 12:52 PM

It looks like it's back to $69 now.
Old 07-02-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks like it's back to $69 now.
Everything on the site is now $69? Or just "It"?
Old 07-02-09, 01:28 PM

Sorry; I presumed everyone was following the conversation that's gone on for half of this page. Star Trek the Motion Picture Collection BD.
Old 07-02-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So my previous posting about this sale was right on the button then. That's what I was told by their former store manager as July 17th being the start of the sale but it now ends on 8/2/09, which is a good thing as well. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-02-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Are you suggesting that Amazon's price is a sale price? I can't find any sale notice in Amazon's listing (and it's been at that same price since it began shipping, to the best of my recollection). I just find it hard to believe they would apply an optional coupon's value to the price match, because surely not all of their customers know of the coupon, right?

(I don't feel I'm entitled to a greater discount; I'm just trying to figure out all the angles.)
Amazon's price is a sale price. The list price for the item is $139.99
Old 07-02-09, 10:59 PM

Deep Discount's group on Facebook also states that the 25% off sale will run from July 17th through August 2nd with "Facebook25" being one of the codes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.