(DEAD) DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off from 7/17 Through 8/2, 2009

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off from 7/17 Through 8/2, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

God Bless America! Capitalism is a wonderful thing, even if some DVD sets I want are up 10%+ over the last 4 months, prior to the 25% sale.

I do not see DD holding a gun to anyones head forcing them to buy, you gotta take the good with the bad.

I see some suuuuuuuuper BR deals over there. My cart is full witgh $600+ right now waiting to submit on the 17th.
Old 07-11-09, 09:30 AM

Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

Originally Posted by ctyankee
I think many of us are at the point that we have built up some decent libraries of titles. So, agreed, at this point, it has to be a great price to get me to buy.
I agree with that, which is why almost everything I get off the DD sales is something that has either just been released or substantially reduced in price in the last six months. I usually buy catalogue titles (box sets and TV series often have 2/1 deals at some times so I hold off on them). The exception is something that I hadn't previously been aware of but learned about fairly recently (either that it was out on DVD or that it was a desirable title).

New releases will almost always be available cheaper in 6-12 months anyway.
Old 07-11-09, 10:41 AM

I know the prices at DD are good and I don't gripe at fluctuations in DVD prices. Yes, they do go up and down throughout the year, but I'm still disappointed that DD just raised the price on a good portion of the DVDs I had on my wish list by 25%. If it were a couple of dollars either way, I would have just expected prices to fluctuate, but I'm disappointed with them when I see that the prices have gone up exactly 25% on some items on my wish list before the 25% off sale goes into affect. This is more than a mere coincidence. Best regards to all.
Old 07-11-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going through the 11 pages to see if this was pointed out, but regarding prices going up... do you think if an item is in wish lists, they automatically make them higher? Or is it all of the titles going up??

Just a thought. I'm not wish-listing anything, haha.
Old 07-11-09, 11:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ We're only on page 7.

I thought it has been clearly documented/proven that DD prices fluctuate all the time, and that just as many prices drop as go up in the days preceding a sale. Why are people still complaining?
Old 07-11-09, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ We're only on page 7.

I thought it has been clearly documented/proven that DD prices fluctuate all the time, and that just as many prices drop as go up in the days preceding a sale. Why are people still complaining?
My guess, because theirs went up and they don't care if some other guys went down.
Old 07-11-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

nothing in mine has gone up.
As others have said earlier, I look at the msrp and what my final price will be after the discount, and if it comes out to being a bargain I'm happy with, I'll likely order- if not, I'll just pass. Price fluctuations don't matter. The price I pay when I submit the order does.
And then there are the titles I was planning to get regardless of a sale or not.

That's why I'm happy they pushed this sale back. Many titles I have in my wish list would have missed the sale if they'd had it in the usual time frame this year- so even though I may have lost money by not waiting and ordering stuff back in the 10% off sale in April, I may be getting a chance to make up for that now.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-11-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that the A&E Pride and Prejudice (blu-ray) went up in price to $30. The $20 price was way too good to last.
Old 07-11-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ We're only on page 7.

Originally Posted by bsmith
My guess, because theirs went up and they don't care if some other guys went down.
Bingo. "If the facts conflict with my own personal experience, they must be wrong."

P.S. The number of pages in the thread will depend on how many posts are set up to be displayed per page in the "Edit Options" Menu of the User Control Panel.

Last edited by seymouru; 07-11-09 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 02:32 PM

I think it only makes sense that there be an outpouring of frustration after waiting, what, eight months now? And then after the anxiety over whether there would even be a sale this summer...people gotta vent!

Originally Posted by funkymonkeyjavajunky
I noticed that the A&E Pride and Prejudice (blu-ray) went up in price to $30. The $20 price was way too good to last.
I know for sure they were having a sale on the A&E DVDs; maybe it extended to BDs too?
Old 07-11-09, 02:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by seymouru
P.S. The number of pages in the thread will depend on how many posts are set up to be displayed per thread in the "Edit Options" Menu of the User Control Panel.
You're too nice. I prefer my snarky line, which I try to use at least once per week.
Old 07-11-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD-Obsession
I know the prices at DD are good and I don't gripe at fluctuations in DVD prices. Yes, they do go up and down throughout the year, but I'm still disappointed that DD just raised the price on a good portion of the DVDs I had on my wish list by 25%. If it were a couple of dollars either way, I would have just expected prices to fluctuate, but I'm disappointed with them when I see that the prices have gone up exactly 25% on some items on my wish list before the 25% off sale goes into affect. This is more than a mere coincidence. Best regards to all.
List them, with before and after prices.
Old 07-11-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Betting the DVDTALK code will start a day early like past sales unless DeepDiscount mistakes the actions in this thread of hardcore bargain hunting and enthusiasm for whining and complaining. Guess it depends how ya look at it.

Something completely OT but does anyone else get annoyed by the glass half full/empty debate? I've always taken the realistic view that it is half empty since you're in the process of drinking or emptying the contents of the glass, where as, if you're filling a garbage can with trash it would be half full since you're in the process of filling it. The only time the trash can is empty is when ya switch bags and the only time the glass is full is when ya pour it to the top. To be sure though when faced with this question one should ask if I'm drinking from the glass or pouring liquid into it. I know I'm taking it a bit literal and it's a philosophical question but it's not one I've ever agreed with.

Do you say a theater is half empty or half full? Same thing. It was empty until people started sitting down to watch the movie so now it's half full. The better question would be if the theater was full and half the people left 'cause the movie sucked is it still considered half full since the original purpose was to fill the theater and not empty it (this place is emptying out quick but is still half full), or half empty since it was full and now that people are leaving it has started the process of emptying the theater even though that wasn't the intended purpose at the time (this place was full but is now half empty).

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 07-11-09 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funkymonkeyjavajunky
i think they were matching Amazon on that one...because it was $19.99 at amazon first...and I just checked and it still is amazingly enough. so there ya go....it's not like you can expect a better price on a reference quality set that is incredibly popular.
Old 07-11-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

so nothing on the dvdplanet front? if they don't do the same sale i'm going to be very very disappointed. I sent them a bunch of stuff for a lot of credit precisely in anticipation of this sale.
Old 07-12-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You're too nice. I prefer my snarky line, which I try to use at least once per week.
I know I've been victim of it. With your guidance, I have graduated to page 7 status.
Old 07-12-09, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
so nothing on the dvdplanet front? if they don't do the same sale i'm going to be very very disappointed. I sent them a bunch of stuff for a lot of credit precisely in anticipation of this sale.
so have at least half of the people here

no reason to think dvdp will not hold its sale as usual methinks.
Old 07-12-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

If certain Blus do not go up between now and the sale, there is still a chance I will make some purchases for my personal collection (already plan to pick up the latest two The Waltons sets that are out for my mom). Titles like POTC Trilogy, Pitch Black and Chronicles value pack, Cassablanca, The Middleman, Dollhouse, and Mad Men S2, Dollhouse, X-Men animated Vols. 1 & 2, and T3 might make their way into my cart. If it were not for Netflix, Mistresses S1, Weeds S4, Burn Notice S2, and Breaking Bad S1 would have been on the list.
Old 07-12-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
Something completely OT but does anyone else get annoyed by the glass half full/empty debate? I've always taken the realistic view that it is half empty since you're in the process of drinking or emptying the contents of the glass, where as, if you're filling a garbage can with trash it would be half full since you're in the process of filling it.
When presented with this scenario, I try to transgress it by saying "It's only half full." Why isn't my glass filled all the way? Only half full is a letdown. Either give me a smaller glass or fill the current one the rest of the way.
Old 07-12-09, 10:55 PM

I have never ordering anything but DVDs from Deep Discount (during their sale or otherwise).

Does this sale also include books, video games, CDs, etc?
Old 07-12-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Commander Dan
I have never ordering anything but DVDs from Deep Discount (during their sale or otherwise).

Does this sale also include books, video games, CDs, etc?
no
Old 07-13-09, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
... does anyone else get annoyed by the glass half full/empty debate? I've always taken the realistic view that it is half empty ...
Do not try and fill the glass. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth -- there is no glass. Then you'll see that it is not the glass that fills, it is only yourself.

So, buy, buy more, buy more now, buy, and be happy.
Old 07-13-09, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

How many of you bought a ton of stuff from the last sale and still haven't even watched them yet? I still have 5-6 titles from the last sale in November that I haven't watched yet. If I do pick up a few things, I hope to only get things that I will actually watch and not throw in the closet for the next year or two.
Old 07-13-09, 11:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Hopefully the Mad Men prices hold steady -- looking to pick up blu-ray seasons 1 & 2.
Old 07-13-09, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
How many of you bought a ton of stuff from the last sale and still haven't even watched them yet? I still have 5-6 titles from the last sale in November that I haven't watched yet. If I do pick up a few things, I hope to only get things that I will actually watch and not throw in the closet for the next year or two.
Geez, I could go back further than just the last sale. I used to buy stuff that I really want to see now and stuff that is just great movies at a good price, but what I'm realizing is that by the time I get to the 'just great movies at a good price' the price is even cheaper in stores and I think if only I had waited.

Now days I've really cut back on buying movies on dvds. TV on dvd is my weakness, I guess I perceive more value there (which is strange because its just selling me what was free on tv), but most movies a Red Box rental suffices, until the dvd hits $5 or less at Walmart or somewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.