Best Buy Ad 6/28 - 7/4

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy Ad 6/28 - 7/4

Old 06-26-09, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Best Buy Ad 6/28 - 7/4

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Maybe they just didn't like the scans being posted. I don't see the harm in posting the prices early...
Just means I shop less at Target if I don't see the ads early as I don't get the newspaper.
Old 06-26-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

We've seen this before, and from a consumer point of view I want to know what's coming out and how much all prices are long in advance, but from a logical point of view I can definitely understand the stores wanting to keep sale prices private until the sale starts. And in some ways even from a consumer point of view that's better, because you get people who buy up all the really good deals then later pricematch, so if I go to the store on Sunday to buy something, they're OOS.

As long as the ads are being posted, I'll read them, but if/when the retailer asks to stop posting early, I won't bitch about it. The ads are available for free, legitimately, on Sundays so the 'no newspaper' argument is a little bit of a red herring.

Anyway, thanks for the post--I might check out Reaper.
Old 06-26-09, 01:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

^ Exactly, although I'd be more forceful in saying that it hurts stores when their sale prices get out early. They release prices at specific times for specific reasons, and are well within their rights to try to stop the early release of prices.

I love to get them early, but always consider it a bonus that will stop happening someday.
Old 06-26-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great prices on SNL. I might pick it up if I can find the limited editions.
Old 06-26-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Entourage for me, and price matching EB&D with Target.
Old 06-26-09, 07:43 PM

I will get Entourage: The Complete Fifth Season - $19.99
Old 06-27-09, 12:50 AM

Buying Season 2 of SECRET DIARY OF A CALL GIRL. It's one of the best shows on TV. It's funny, clever, touching, and incredibly addicting.
Old 06-27-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Does anyone have the BB cd prices for the week?
Old 06-27-09, 08:10 AM

and games for the week?
Old 06-27-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the CD prices, sorry. : / But here are the video games:

New 80GB PS3 Bundle (Little Big Planet & Wall E) - $399

Wii
Tiger Woods 10 (game only)- $39
Grand Slam Tennis - $39
Boom Blox Bash Party - $29
My Sims Racing - $29

GH World Tour Band Kit - $169

Nothing too great.
Old 06-27-09, 11:18 AM

Weekly comparison thread done. Looks like Best Buy is cheapest for 12 Rounds SD and BD, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li SD and BD, Two Lovers SD, and Entourage Season 5.
Old 06-27-09, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
We've seen this before, and from a consumer point of view I want to know what's coming out and how much all prices are long in advance, but from a logical point of view I can definitely understand the stores wanting to keep sale prices private until the sale starts. And in some ways even from a consumer point of view that's better, because you get people who buy up all the really good deals then later pricematch, so if I go to the store on Sunday to buy something, they're OOS.

As long as the ads are being posted, I'll read them, but if/when the retailer asks to stop posting early, I won't bitch about it. The ads are available for free, legitimately, on Sundays so the 'no newspaper' argument is a little bit of a red herring.

Anyway, thanks for the post--I might check out Reaper.

I can buy Sunday papers at several stores around me on Saturday with all the ads in them. They always have them at Walmart and Meijer here on Saturdays. So they really shouldn't care if they are posted on Saturday when you can just go to Walmart look at the ad.
Old 06-27-09, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
I don't have the CD prices, sorry. : / But here are the video games:

New 80GB PS3 Bundle (Little Big Planet & Wall E) - $399

Wii
Tiger Woods 10 (game only)- $39
Grand Slam Tennis - $39
Boom Blox Bash Party - $29
My Sims Racing - $29

GH World Tour Band Kit - $169

Nothing too great.
thanks man. . .
Old 06-28-09, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Exactly, although I'd be more forceful in saying that it hurts stores when their sale prices get out early. They release prices at specific times for specific reasons, and are well within their rights to try to stop the early release of prices.

I love to get them early, but always consider it a bonus that will stop happening someday.
Being in this day and age when retailers should appreciate any free advertising they can get and when you can get any excitement at all over any upcoming sales at no cost to you, it is to the retailer's benefit. They can bring up release prices, etc. all they want (generally the shopping consumer cares nothing about this as they will get this information regardless) but ideally the purpose of ads is getting people into your stores.

Last edited by consoleman; 06-28-09 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-28-09, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by consoleman
Being in this day and age when retailers should appreciate any free advertising they can get and when you can get any excitement at all over any upcoming sales at no cost to you, it is to the retailer's benefit. They can bring up release prices, etc. all they want (generally the shopping consumer cares nothing about this as they will get this information regardless) but ideally the purpose of ads is getting people into your stores.
If you're right, then thousands of companies, marketing experts, lawyers, etc, since the beginning of capitalism are wrong.

I think our take on this is biased as that of a consumer, wanting early access.

I want it too, but logically, it makes no sense for companies to release them early.
Old 06-28-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course ads are to get people into stores and buying things. The best thing for a store is for the consumer to buy as much as possible, at the highest price possible. If it's known as early as 7/1 that Product A will be 15.00 on 7/10, then that drastically reduces the number of people who will buy the product for 20.00 in the preceding week. And if the competitors know their pricing, they can use that knowledge when formulating *their* special pricing.
Any retailer would be happy if you didn't buy *anything* on sale. At the very least, if you do go in there for a sale item, they want you to buy something not on sale as well. If you go in two Sundays because of two different sale ads, that's two chances to buy something else.
Old 06-28-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Any prices on the Bjork cd/dvd combinations?
Old 06-28-09, 06:30 PM

In an economic environment where we're not in a recession, where the average consumer is more willing to pay top price on just about anything especially on release day, I would say you have a point. But in the current environment, where the consumer is more likely to stay home and do practically all their shopping online just to save on gas (especially when it comes to DVDs and Blu-rays), then all I have to say to brick-and-mortar stores is that you better get your sales out there and let people know fast. In an online environment, people are always looking for fantastic deals that are too good to pass up before they buy anything. Message boards like DVD Talk, Fat Wallet, and CheapAssGamer provides this. Its as close to perfect information as you can get. Short of Best Buy who advertises in my neighborhood marketeer ad packs every week, I never read ads from Target, Sears, K-Mart and all the other stores, and I'm not sure what percentage of DVDTalkers are like me, but if it's not in any of these forums, you don't exist and I'll never step into your stores to buy anything.

Funny how so many deals have Amazon matching Best Buy's prices. Yes, maybe it's Amazon getting an early peek at Best Buy ads, but you don't see Best Buy threatening to sue anyone over it.
Old 06-28-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People who frequent DVDT, CAG, and FW are not Joe Consumer. Millions of people see a DVD on release day for 15.99 and decide they want it, so they buy it. It doesn't matter to them that Amazon has it for 13.99, or Deep Discount has it for 13.49, or if they buy it that week, come back the next when it's on sale they could get 1.10 back on a price match. We are not average. And I think the 'average' online bargain hunter would be fine if the stereotypical FW'er dropped off the face of the earth.

They might be a little more analytical when they're price shopping for a TV or some bigger purchase, but even then, if the retailer can get them in the store and buying something, unless the product is defective or the consumer is a crook (like the people who buy a videocamera right before graduation day, then return it the day after), that sale is usually a done deal.

I certainly agree that retailers need to get their information out fast and widely. However, getting that information out too early is nothing but detrimental to the retailer.

Best Buy threatening to sue Amazon? Though Best Buy is a giant, Amazon is a behemoth-if anything could be proved (like it was in DVDTalk's case), I would think it's unlikely there would be a lawsuit. Plus Best Buy and Amazon have different demographics to an extent.

I don't really read the ads for Target, Sears, Kmart; but that's not because they're not available (salescircular.com), it's because I never go to Kmart and I very rarely go to Target or Sears. The information is out there, and to an extent having it early is "insider trading" (my company has very strong sanctions against employees who break early pricing details). I'll use it while it's out there (it's generally just window shopping anyway, my buying has drastically slowed), but the retailers would be fully within their rights to ask people to stop posting it and take whatever sanctions they would need to ensure that.
Old 06-28-09, 07:17 PM

You're probably right there could still be plenty of people willing to buy DVDs on release day at full price, but in this day and age, there are plenty more who are willing to hold out for the best price they can get because, let's face it, these are tough times. Few people have money to burn, and unless they frequent a store near them quite often, there are fewer and fewer incentives to step inside a store unless you need something here and now.

I don't know what to say about retailers who go after somebody simply for posting an ad. Luckily, I don't care to post any ads, but ever since Circuit City went after Speedy, I didn't care to shop at CC for quite a while. Eventually I did, but I think retailers have enough problems getting people into their doors without going after people who post ads maybe a couple of days or a week early.
Old 06-28-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I agree. Retailers need to offer something special to make shopping there attractive--the inherent convenience over mailorder is one thing, occasional sales are another. I think my biggest issue is a sense of entitlement many have over this information. "Information should be free!" and all that claptrap. Not when it's proprietary knowledge that was supposed to be secure and someone stole it.

I also won't argue that retailers might have bigger things to worry about--but nothing says they can't work on those things, and try to clamp down on this information getting out, if they wanted to.

When Speedy got busted I was of course worried for him, I didn't know what sort of legal sanctions there would be. But it didn't really hurt my view of CC. They were well within their rights, legally and morally, imho. Just because no one else had done it, doesn't mean they shouldn't have. And most of the people that CC pissed off by doing that, were probably deal maximizers anyway,and not very profitable to them in the first place.

I don't see why any retailer would have a problem with posting the ad. Posting the ad early, that's the potential issue.
Old 06-28-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Revised the first post to include the $5 gift card with purchase of Entourage and Eastbound & Down together.
Old 06-29-09, 09:07 AM

Unlike in the days when the economy was humming and retailers weren't closing left and right, profits, however small from deal-maximizers, are still profits and could mean the difference between whether a business survives or not. Not that a big chain like Target will fold anytime soon. I expect that they may do quite well even in this economic environment, but for other retailers, the story might be different.

I just want to say that retailers should make exceptions given the economy. Everybody is looking for a deal and if you've got one, scream it out for the world to know, not suppress it. Anyway, for most retailers where sales are pretty much set in stone weeks in advance, another retailer getting early notice of what you're selling won't allow them to make changes that quickly.
Old 07-01-09, 05:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Charlie Wilson's War ...$4.99 YMMV.

picked this up at BB today for that. i think it was only supposed to be Full Screen, but the WS were in that section and i just showed rep. that is where i got it and it was all good.

was looking for a good price for this.
Old 07-01-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might be in for a Guitar Hero.