Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Old 07-07-09, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Yeah that's what I thought. But this person just wouldn't even accept it or bother looking it up. He kept saying he needed the 10 digit number. I'm going to try another FYE, I don't think all of them know what they are doing.
Old 07-07-09, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
They can look up the X-Files sets and anything else without a UPC in their computer system.
Yep, my copies of Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier and 24 Season 1 didn't have UPC codes, and they just took a little extra time to look them up in the system.
Old 07-08-09, 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated. I'll bring in the box sets to another FYE and try again.
Old 07-08-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyDi4476
Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated. I'll bring in the box sets to another FYE and try again.
They should definitely look it up. A word of advice, if I may. Go to www.wherehouse.com and add the titles that you want to trade in to your cart. Print that page out and take it with you to FYE. The quotes are fairly accurate and it's a good way to make sure that you're receiving the right amount. I also write down the UPC of a title that I want to trade in that's missing it. The cashier usually just types in that UPC and doesn't even bother looking it up for herself(the cashiers at my local FYE are girls).
Old 07-09-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just went to a FYE to sell some stuff and they told me to go to another one or come back late tonight as they did not have any business today ...so no cash.

i don't know how these guys are staying in business?
Old 07-11-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Though not specifically related to the 20% bonus bag (of which I have only 1), does anyone know if FYE will take multiple copies of the same title for trade-in at the same time? I bought some new DVDs on clearance, a handful of which are worth a lot more than I paid, and I'm wondering if I dare take several of the same shrinkwrapped titles in at the same time with the 20% off bag and if I should remove the price stickers and the shrinkwrap first. Maybe it's just Gamestop who is so fussy about such things?

I've always imagined I'd have this conversation at an FYE (though it hasn't happened yet):
Me: I'd like to trade in these DVDs.
Clerk: This one is worth $28 cash or $35 store credit, but wait... I just noticed the price sticker on it says $6, so I'm only going to give you $6 trade-in because you're obviously trying to make a profit.
Me: That's irrelevant. More often than not I get a lot less in trade-in than I paid, so why should it matter if once in a blue moon I make a little money?
Clerk: I don't know. It just does.
Me: But if it didn't have the price sticker you'd give me $28?
Clerk: That's right.
Me: Let me peel it off.
Clerk: Too late. I already saw it.
Me: I suppose you think Bill Gates or Warren Buffet should pay $1000 for a loaf of bread that costs everyone else $3 because they have more money?
Clerk: Yes. That would only be fair.

Last edited by Manzana; 07-11-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Though not specifically related to the 20% bonus bag (of which I have only 1), does anyone know if FYE will take multiple copies of the same title for trade-in at the same time?
Here's an excerpt from the Wherehouse.com Help page. Since they are a TWEC entity, like FYE, I assume they follow the same rules:

Item Acceptance:

* Prices offered on our site are for items acquired for personal enjoyment use only. “Personal enjoyment use” refers to items acquired with the intent of listening, playing, or watching by an individual. Sorry, prices are not valid for overstocked items, excess business inventory items, items acquired with the intent of resale or items acquired for any other purpose.
* Limit of two copies per title per customer. (if you'd like us to make an exception, please email us.) This does not override the Personal Enjoyment policy listed above. We understand that you may occasionally have a duplicate copy. If you have quantities of a large number of the items you are selling, we do not consider the items to be of “personal enjoyment use” and you need to contact us before sending the items to us.
Old 07-12-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Perhaps this has been said before, but I visited a FYE today and asked about this promotion (verifying again the end of date of August 11). They indicated they were out of bags, but as long as you mentioned the "brown bag" deal when you came in they would honor it.
Old 07-20-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I’m considering a trade-in of some DVDs to FYE during the promotion. If I take store credit, am I correct that I can use that credit at wherehouse.com? Are the their other places online that accept it?
Old 07-20-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
If I take store credit, am I correct that I can use that credit at wherehouse.com? Are the their other places online that accept it?
Yes and also secondspin.com and of course fye.com.
Old 07-21-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Yes and also secondspin.com and of course fye.com.
So, for the sake of clarity, do they give you a code or something to use online, or is it somehow automatically linked to your account? Sorry, I know that's a horribly DUMB question, but I've been wondering about this for a while now.
Old 07-21-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bwsmom
So, for the sake of clarity, do they give you a code or something to use online, or is it somehow automatically linked to your account? Sorry, I know that's a horribly DUMB question, but I've been wondering about this for a while now.
FYE will give you a physical gift card that has a 16 digit number on the back and a pin number. When you use the gift card online, you'll have to enter these two sets of numbers.
Old 07-21-09, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
FYE will give you a physical gift card that has a 16 digit number on the back and a pin number. When you use the gift card online, you'll have to enter these two sets of numbers.
OMG... I'm SUCH a dunce sometimes. I guess I should've figured that out from previous posts about the gift cards. Sorry, folks... maternity brain....
Old 07-21-09, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Perhaps this has been said before, but I visited a FYE today and asked about this promotion (verifying again the end of date of August 11). They indicated they were out of bags, but as long as you mentioned the "brown bag" deal when you came in they would honor it.
Yeah my FYE didn't have any bags either so I just mentioned the deal and they gave it to me. I traded in like 40 DVDs today that I realized I would never have time to watch again or didn't want to watch again for $252.30 cash, which will be used to pre-order Modern Warfare 2 and buy a Blu-ray player.

Last edited by thedrizzle; 07-21-09 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thedrizzle
Yeah my FYE didn't have any bags either so I just mentioned the deal and they gave it to me. I traded in like 40 DVDs today that I released I would never have time to watch again or didn't want to watch again for $252.30 cash, which will used to pre-order Modern Warfare 2 and buy a Blu-ray player.
You won't regret it. I bought my PS3 last year by trading in useless DVDs to FYE for credit.
Old 07-24-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How does the shipping work for DVDPlanet trade in. Are you responsible for the shipping cost or do they reimburse you any?
Old 07-24-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bmello
How does the shipping work for DVDPlanet trade in. Are you responsible for the shipping cost or do they reimburse you any?
DVDPlanet doesn't reimburse, so it is best to ship dvd's to them using media mail.
Old 07-28-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this deal still going on?
Old 07-28-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup.
Old 07-28-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drake
I just went to a FYE to sell some stuff and they told me to go to another one or come back late tonight as they did not have any business today ...so no cash.

i don't know how these guys are staying in business?
When did you go, first thing or early in the morning? This is not uncommon at all. Stores only start off with a finite amount of "petty" cash to operate the registers on - say anywhere from $100 to $300 dollars, depending on the size and location of the store. If you go in and want to sell back $100 or so dollars worth of stuff, you'd be taking half or more of what they need for petty cash to operate with. This would not leave them in a very good position to deal with the rest of the "real" customers with. Keep in mind when you are selling back to them, that they in turn become the customer, and you no longer are. Also depends on if it's a slow business day, too. Those do happen, you know - and one day doesn't mean it's like that everyday.

Trust me, if I were on the other side of the counter, and I have been before, I'd likely tell you the same thing given the circumstances. It'd be almost the same as they annoying people who would come in first thing in the morning with a big bill (a $50 or $100) wanting to buy something for less than $10. Most of the time, those people would (believe it or not) get asked for a smaller bill, to come back later, or flat out be apologetically refused. They don't get that it would basically wipe out your entire petty cash fund, and also leave no way to make change for everybody else.

Oh, and by the by, my local FYE said this promotion was going on til August 17th. I went in one day last week and sold back 45 CD's for $296.00 worth of credit. A few days later I went back with my wife and she sold back another 30 or so CD's for $160.00 in cash. Went late in the afternoon both times.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 07-28-09 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For everyone who bought up a bunch of Big Lots dvds to trade into FYE, only to find out your only offered 5 cents. Have no fear, I am here. I will gladly give you 25 cents for any title FYE won't accept. That it 5 times what it is worth! PM me!
Old 07-28-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
When did you go, first thing or early in the morning? This is not uncommon at all. Stores only start off with a finite amount of "petty" cash to operate the registers on - say anywhere from $100 to $300 dollars, depending on the size and location of the store. If you go in and want to sell back $100 or so dollars worth of stuff, you'd be taking half or more of what they need for petty cash to operate with. This would not leave them in a very good position to deal with the rest of the "real" customers with. Keep in mind when you are selling back to them, that they in turn become the customer, and you no longer are. Also depends on if it's a slow business day, too. Those do happen, you know - and one day doesn't mean it's like that everyday.

Trust me, if I were on the other side of the counter, and I have been before, I'd likely tell you the same thing given the circumstances. It'd be almost the same as they annoying people who would come in first thing in the morning with a big bill (a $50 or $100) wanting to buy something for less than $10. Most of the time, those people would (believe it or not) get asked for a smaller bill, to come back later, or flat out be apologetically refused. They don't get that it would basically wipe out your entire petty cash fund, and also leave no way to make change for everybody else.

Oh, and by the by, my local FYE said this promotion was going on til August 17th. I went in one day last week and sold back 45 CD's for $296.00 worth of credit. A few days later I went back with my wife and she sold back another 30 or so CD's for $160.00 in cash. Went late in the afternoon both times.
I went in right after lunch so it was around 1 pm, it's not a very busy store in a little strip mall on the outskirts of a business park.
In these parts (MA) I don't think FYE does well because of Newbury Comics.
Old 07-28-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drake
I went in right after lunch so it was around 1 pm, it's not a very busy store in a little strip mall on the outskirts of a business park.
In these parts (MA) I don't think FYE does well because of Newbury Comics.
Go around dinner time (4 to 5 pm) or later. Some stores have barely had customers by 1 pm. And since I see you're in the North East, like me, by any chance was it a sunny day? Given all the crap rainy weather we've had this summer, a nice sunny day usually equals dead business around these parts. The only time indoor business starts to get hopping during the summer is when it's raining, or too hot (and humid) for too many days. And that certainly has not been the case this summer.

As for Newburry Comics, you may be right. Since the FYE you're talking about is in a strip mall, they must have been a Strawberries at one time - which generally, don't do as well as the mall FYE counterparts do. The freestanding stores are more "destination" stores (meaning people plan to go to them for a specific reason), whereas the mall stores have more readily built in traffic. Most people go to the "mall" for the convenience of shopping many stores, not generally just one. As such, they're usually more inclined to pay whatever for something, rather than be bothered traipsing around town to see who's got it cheaper. (And mall stores rent is usually more expensive, which is another thing that get's passed onto the customer in the form of higher prices.) Places like Newburry Comics, on the other hand, have to be more competitive price wise (among other things) to give you a reason to go out of your way to shop there. When FYE re-branded (and homogenized) all their many store names, they basically turned their freestanding stores into exact replicas of their mall stores - with the only difference being sometimes (depending on how much competition there is per area) cheaper prices. As such, they usually do tend to get bettered by their local indie chain counter parts.
Old 07-29-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You won't regret it. I bought my PS3 last year by trading in useless DVDs to FYE for credit.
That's how I got my PS3 as well!!! My local stores don't carry it, so I had to wait for fye.com to get it in stock. They eventually did... I probably wouldn't have bought a PS3 otherwise...
Old 07-31-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

is there any confirmation that this ends on Aug 11 and not Aug 1?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.