Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Important Announcement regarding DDDVD semi-annual sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Important Announcement regarding DDDVD semi-annual sale

good to know it's still on, although spacing it a month later than previous years means orders wont arrive till late july-august. That's only 4 months till the next sale,so that could cost them some sales. But IIRC, the summersales are usually much lower in volume than the winter ones, even w/ the added dvdplanet sale goin on
Old 06-09-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 251 Posts

I always find good deals at the DDD sales as I buy mostly classic/catalog/obscure titles during the sale and you really can't find better prices on these anywhere else.

I remember last year they had that Criterion sale a few weeks after the 20% sale. Now I have to decide if I should buy some Criterions during the 20% sale, or take a chance and wait to see if they have another Criterion sale.......life isn't easy folks
Old 06-09-09, 07:12 AM

I'm going to be thrilled if the info is true and DD really does decide to hold off on the summer sale until mid to late July. First off, I've been killed (in the wallet) over the last several weeks with sales from Amazon and Barnes&Noble. I need a break big time. Secondly, I've got several CBS/Paramount Classic TV titles that are coming out later this month and early next month that will qualify for the discount if the sale is postponed a bit. I mean it only helps in that respect.

Gary "and I imagine it's yet to be decided as to whether or not the sale will be 20% or 25% off, but either way it's a good sale as long as prices aren't raised" O.
Old 06-09-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Does this mean IL residents won't have to pay sales tax on website purchases? Not that I care but it might stop Blagojevich from using that mail drop in Gary.... we've already got enough border problems with illegals sneaking into IN without this additional headache.
I didn't see this answered.

IIRC they always charged tax to IL residents even before the store opened since their warehouse is in Itasca I believe.
Old 06-09-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Already tired of hearing about prices being raised. Last sale, I started a thread in the Stores forum to research/prove/refute the allegations. I stored prices in a spreadsheet of my want-list, which at the time was made up of a WIDE variety of titles (prices, studios, date of release, popular titles, full series sets, etc.) that I intentionally included for this purpose, and checked price changes over the first few days of the sale and again near the end.

Many other people then contributed to the thread, as well (some of them completely misunderstanding the purpose of the thread and just getting in there to toss insults around).

Basically, the conclusion was that there was absolutely no mass raising of prices before or during the sale. As has always been claimed, almost all of the price changes could easily be connected to previous sales that ended prior to the beginning of the 25%-off sitewide sale.

A very small number of items had inexplicable price changes, and of those some of them were price-changes that exactly offset the savings of the sale (i.e., a 33% increase in price). A representative from the company chimed in at one point and, I'm sorry to say, sounded like a complete corporate tool while giving some vague and meaningful-sounding-but-essentially-meaningless reason why.

My only desire would be that DD not claim it is on ALL DVDs, but instead simply have an asterisk that leads to a page that explains that in some cases, due to deals with distributors, they are unable to offer the sale price. It may make .1% of your customers unhappy that the one item they had their heart set on is excluded, but it will certainly put an end to all the BS claims of large-scale price changes, and it will redirect the disappointment/resentment to the distributors who are preventing the discounting.
Old 06-09-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Richard, thanks for the great (well, sad) information, and welcome to the forum! Hopefully now people will stop creating new "when is the DD sale?" threads...
Old 06-09-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been away for awhile, and wonder did i miss the DDD annual sale? I sometimes see threads on here referencing it, but they vanish very quickly.

Old 06-09-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Low RG
Use the Power Search function. Choose Deep Discount as your store and check the box "only include titles where this store has the lowest price".
Thanks for that clarification - Like Bsmith I was aware of this site but never used that function before - very handy!
Old 06-09-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I didn't see this answered.

IIRC they always charged tax to IL residents even before the store opened since their warehouse is in Itasca I believe.
They'll still get you on the sales taxes IF you're an Illinois resident since the company is based out of the Itasca office. In this state, they'll tax you to death on everythign and anything not nailed down, especially in Chicago.
Old 06-09-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Richard, thanks for the great (well, sad) information, and welcome to the forum! Hopefully now people will stop creating new "when is the DD sale?" threads...
Thanks Ken and I felt it was important for all the members who shop at that store or their website to know this vital information. I provided the number to others in case they didn't believe me, but I would never post it if it were not the truth. So sad to see the Naperville store go and as to when they are officially closing their doors, not very sure about that but they are in the process of closing it down. I also asked if they'd be moving to another locale and they said no. The guy said once they close, they're closed forever. Their staff isn't very bright unfortunately, which is why I always made sure to ask for a manager in case I encountered difficulties there and he is a great guy.
Old 06-09-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I'll keep this thread open since the OP seems to have provided legit information. Please be civil. Thank you!
Thank you, Mr. Administrator, as I felt it was important for everyone to know this, seeing I was looking forward to the sale as well here in Illinois but after hearing this, it's just a shame they are another victim of the retail crunch and the recession and everything in between. It was a good little store but thir stock really got depleted as of 6 months ago, which might have led to this.
Old 06-09-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pulling for DVD Planet.
Old 06-09-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Let's see what else can fail between Babie's 'R Us and Golf Galaxy!
so very true
Old 06-09-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

although it is sad for all these bricks and mortars going out of business lately, perhaps there is a sliver of a silver lining. maybe dd will double focus on online sales with a funtionally pleasing website, a decent loyalty program, and excellent customer service. kinda like it used to be but even better. and maybe this be equal profit? just saying.
Old 06-09-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by hindolio
perhaps there is a sliver of a silver lining.
Heh, try typing that five times fast!
Spoiler:
that that that that that
Spoiler:
Old 06-10-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quick update regarding that lovely brick & mortar store in Naperville. I went there last night with my brother, planning on buying some last-minute DVDs there and they were supposed to be open until 9 PM CT and guess what happened? Their doors were locked and shut down and all that there was on the window was a poster saying store was closed and to call their customer service number and get more details that way. You can imagine how furious we both were as we made almost an hour's trip to go to this dump and only for them to shut it down. This is just after I finished posting my first blog on this item here on the boards, so for those that live near there or in Illinois planning to go there...save your time, energy and gas as they're done and out. I onlt spotted a few DVD sets still sitting on the shelves through the window and a few posters and the like inside the store but an advanced notice would have been nice. Therefore, I just ask you guys and gals to take precautions when shopping at Deepdiscount.com. I also found out you can price match those guys with Tower.com as Tower, at times, have certain titles that Deep Discount overcharges on and to nail them on that, just send an e-mail and the link from tower to their website and they'll price match it after a day. Take care.
Old 06-10-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
so very true
Their staff was one to wonder about as most of them were dunces to begin with, as only the manager knew what the hell he was doing especially during the special sales promotions. Some staff members wouldn't know a DVD from a CD at that place.
Old 06-10-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
Therefore, I just ask you guys and gals to take precautions when shopping at Deepdiscount.com.
I would have to say that you're pretty safe (as far as getting your product) on the website. Worst case scenario, you can dispute the charge with the credit card company, but in the case of the retail store, it probably wasn't cost effective (rent, employees, etc) to justify keeping the store. I would imagine that really one has absolutely nothing to do with the other, except that the store is owned by the parent company of deepdiscount.com (Infinity Resources Inc.)
Old 06-10-09, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmw650
Quick update regarding that lovely brick & mortar store in Naperville. I went there last night with my brother, planning on buying some last-minute DVDs there and they were supposed to be open until 9 PM CT and guess what happened? Their doors were locked and shut down and all that there was on the window was a poster saying store was closed and to call their customer service number and get more details that way. You can imagine how furious we both were as we made almost an hour's trip to go to this dump and only for them to shut it down. This is just after I finished posting my first blog on this item here on the boards, so for those that live near there or in Illinois planning to go there...save your time, energy and gas as they're done and out. I onlt spotted a few DVD sets still sitting on the shelves through the window and a few posters and the like inside the store but an advanced notice would have been nice. Therefore, I just ask you guys and gals to take precautions when shopping at Deepdiscount.com. I also found out you can price match those guys with Tower.com as Tower, at times, have certain titles that Deep Discount overcharges on and to nail them on that, just send an e-mail and the link from tower to their website and they'll price match it after a day. Take care.
Thank you.
Old 06-10-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm sure they timed it because you were enroute.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 06-10-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I would have to say that you're pretty safe (as far as getting your product) on the website. Worst case scenario, you can dispute the charge with the credit card company, but in the case of the retail store, it probably wasn't cost effective (rent, employees, etc) to justify keeping the store. I would imagine that really one has absolutely nothing to do with the other, except that the store is owned by the parent company of deepdiscount.com (Infinity Resources Inc.)
One thing you might want to try and get at the brick and mortar store if you're interested is any media storage cabinets you might need. Especially Leslie Damme units like the CD-1000 or CD-500 units.

I still have an outstanding order for 3 CD-1000 units from the LAST 25% off sale in November that they've not delivered yet to me. I wouldn't hang on to this order if I could get even close to the deal someplace else that I got with that order (provided they can deliver it at some point). They still have these items listed on site, but it's not clear if the company that they contract with in California that ships those is still making them/stocking them any more. They had a factory fire in December, and I keep getting "wait until (such date)" when CS does stock inquiries on them.

Kind of frustrating, as I've been waiting for months now to unpack some boxes to put stuff away in the basement I just moved to.

If they have good deals on such units there, I'd say take advantage of getting them there and not wait for the sale in case they still aren't stocking them then.

If anyone else has ordered CD-1000 and/or CD-500 units (black) since the last sale and had them delivered, please note here. Not clear if anyone else ordered any or not during this time period, and their CS doesn't seem to know that without doing some "research", which I've requested they do a few times.

Last edited by DVDealer; 06-10-09 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I'm sure they timed it because you were enroute.

Welcome to the forums.
Yeah Ken, what timing, right? Just sad to see it go but who knows? Maybe it was for the better anyways. At least there's still the website but they can be a pain to communicate with most of the time too. Thanks for the welcoming.
Old 06-11-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Dang, we went by there last Friday (the 5th) and saw they were closed down. I meant to post something here, but forgot at first then figured you guys were on top of it.

We ended up going over to the Disc Replay and found some used Doctor Who.
Old 06-11-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rumor is the sale starts TONIGHT!...can anyone confirm?
Old 06-11-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Rumor is the sale starts TONIGHT!...can anyone confirm?
Rumored where?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.