DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 4

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I don't think there is any Big Lots store in Burbank. Was she referring to the North Hollywood store on Vineland?

As far as the Mill Creek 50 sets go, has anyone seen HISTORIC CLASSICS? That's one I would like since it has many vintage TV shows on it with original commercials.
my local store has a couple of them as of this morning. they are $9 would be willing to trade for the kubrick set (will add in the extra $1 and a few more to cover shipping)
Old 07-17-09, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammy Banderas
Still dry here in San Diego ... and I'm not talking about the weather. Any other San Diegans having luck finding the latest batch of WB dvd boxes?
Still dry/gutted here in Los Angeles too. A few stores don't have any $6 sets at all. (Maybe the resellers picked clean those locations). Other stores are gutted and only have leftovers such as Joey, Knot's Landing, Dukes, Dallas, etc.

I will be in Orange County tomorrow. Hope I have better luck! I want to get my hands on those $3 and $10 sets now!
Old 07-17-09, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
Still dry/gutted here in Los Angeles too. A few stores don't have any $6 sets at all. (Maybe the resellers picked clean those locations). Other stores are gutted and only have leftovers such as Dallas, etc.

I will be in Orange County tomorrow. Hope I have better luck! I want to get my hands on those $3 and $10 sets now!
Your leftovers are my feast!
Old 07-17-09, 05:52 PM

LOL!!!!!!
Old 07-17-09, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Texan26
Found a lot of the new arrivals in the Houston area stores today:
At which location(s) did you find these? I'm particularly interested in the Tales From the Crypt sets.
Old 07-17-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down in Orlando finally got the $3 movies in, such as James Cagney, Barbara Stanwick, Katherine Hepburne & Spencer Tracy, and John Wayne movies.
Old 07-17-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Where did all of you Cincinnati people come from?

After being a big part of the first 2-3 BL threads, I have been doing my best to keep myself and my wallet out of BL (by staying out of this thread, for starters), but a random post on Slickdeals pulled me back in, claiming that some feature length anime like Paprika and Memories have been showing up. I hit two stores today and found Memories (and Where Eagles Dare), but has anyone found Paprika?
Old 07-17-09, 06:13 PM

More this afternoon and supposedly more out tomorrow (according to BL worker):

Got all for $3 (each that is)
Tales from the Crypt 2,4,5,6
Lois and Clark S2
Top Cat: Complete Series
Batman vs. Dracula (Collectible set with Batman and Drac figures)
Wise Guys
Old 07-17-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did a run around my area this afternoon. If you haven't checked your local stores this week - check them! Every one of the stores I visited had a lot of the Roots collection and all but one had the NFL, IMAX, and Looney TUnes sets. I have a feeling that last one won't be around long. All of the stores had new season sets out, even the ones that had nothing when I visited last week. Lois & Clark were everywhere.

Of course, I found everything except the stuff I was after! I was really wanted the Superman and Batman animated sets and the Superman serials collection. (Come to think of it, I never found one the Batman serial sets the last time we had a BL frenzy.)

I passed on most of what I found since I'm unemployed and can't justify buying stuff I know I may never get around to watching, no matter how insane the deals are. I did pick up a Looney Tunes and the Adventures of Superman vol 1-4. I also bought a Kubrick set and Tales from the Crypt vol 3 & 5. I'm kinda on the fence about these, and may return them eventually.

Keep searching!
Old 07-17-09, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Preterite
Did a run around my area this afternoon. If you haven't checked your local stores this week - check them! Every one of the stores I visited had a lot of the Roots collection and all but one had the NFL, IMAX, and Looney TUnes sets. I have a feeling that last one won't be around long. All of the stores had new season sets out, even the ones that had nothing when I visited last week. Lois & Clark were everywhere.

Of course, I found everything except the stuff I was after! I was really wanted the Superman and Batman animated sets and the Superman serials collection. (Come to think of it, I never found one the Batman serial sets the last time we had a BL frenzy.)

I passed on most of what I found since I'm unemployed and can't justify buying stuff I know I may never get around to watching, no matter how insane the deals are. I did pick up a Looney Tunes and the Adventures of Superman vol 1-4. I also bought a Kubrick set and Tales from the Crypt vol 3 & 5. I'm kinda on the fence about these, and may return them eventually.

Keep searching!
Here's a good one. I tried to return several of the Flintstones S3 boxes (meant to grab S2), Lois & Clark (gf had them all ready) and a Jacques Cousteau (bro in law didn't want). Went back to BL within 2 hours of purchasing the DVDs. The same girl who SAW me buy them told me I couldn't return them because it was "...against Federal LAW...something about copyrights..." I was too stunned to reply. She followed that statement up with "people can open the movies and copy them, that's why you can' return them.." I pointed out to her that I bought multiples of the same set; so why would I buy multiples of the same just to copy and return them (not to mention that it's $3 per). She had to call the manager (who wasn't around). She then took 10 minutes to closely inspect each box to make sure it wasn't opened before allowing me to return them.

BTW, there were lots of Hanna Barbera sets (with Flintstones S2 & 3 being most prominent and Johnny Quest & Birdman the least), Superman (serial), Popeye and Tales from the Crypt. A few Murphey Brown S1, Veronica Mars, Everwood, Martha Stewart and Lois & Clark. One thing I did get and have not seen mentioned is a Batman S1 & Super Man S1 animated two pack for $3. Gut in front of me got one & I got the last. Lots of Scooby two packs. No restocks of the $6 sets and no $10 sets to be seen. Lots of flats of $3 DVDs but I didn't look through them though I did see the Apollo 13 2 disc SE for $3.
Old 07-17-09, 06:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by logangrey
At which location(s) did you find these? I'm particularly interested in the Tales From the Crypt sets.
I found Tales From the Crypt at 45/Nasa. They only had about three of each of the seasons I found around noon. No season 1. Also found some of the other titles at Pearland.
Old 07-17-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by printerati
Where did all of you Cincinnati people come from?

After being a big part of the first 2-3 BL threads, I have been doing my best to keep myself and my wallet out of BL (by staying out of this thread, for starters), but a random post on Slickdeals pulled me back in, claiming that some feature length anime like Paprika and Memories have been showing up. I hit two stores today and found Memories (and Where Eagles Dare), but has anyone found Paprika?
I don't recall 'Paprika' ever being mentioned (not to say it hasn't). Tekkonkinkreet was spotted quickly a few months back though.
Old 07-17-09, 06:48 PM

I found Tales From the Crypt at 45/Nasa. They only had about three of each of the seasons I found around noon. No season 1. Also found some of the other titles at Pearland.
Thanks. I will make the rounds tomorrow morning and see what I can find.
Old 07-17-09, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by theMadness
Here's a good one. I tried to return several of the Flintstones S3 boxes (meant to grab S2), Lois & Clark (gf had them all ready) and a Jacques Cousteau (bro in law didn't want). Went back to BL within 2 hours of purchasing the DVDs. The same girl who SAW me buy them told me I couldn't return them because it was "...against Federal LAW...something about copyrights..." I was too stunned to reply. She followed that statement up with "people can open the movies and copy them, that's why you can' return them.." I pointed out to her that I bought multiples of the same set; so why would I buy multiples of the same just to copy and return them (not to mention that it's $3 per). She had to call the manager (who wasn't around). She then took 10 minutes to closely inspect each box to make sure it wasn't opened before allowing me to return them.

BTW, there were lots of Hanna Barbera sets (with Flintstones S2 & 3 being most prominent and Johnny Quest & Birdman the least), Superman (serial), Popeye and Tales from the Crypt. A few Murphey Brown S1, Veronica Mars, Everwood, Martha Stewart and Lois & Clark. One thing I did get and have not seen mentioned is a Batman S1 & Super Man S1 animated two pack for $3. Gut in front of me got one & I got the last. Lots of Scooby two packs. No restocks of the $6 sets and no $10 sets to be seen. Lots of flats of $3 DVDs but I didn't look through them though I did see the Apollo 13 2 disc SE for $3.
Where are you located on the West Coast?
Old 07-17-09, 06:51 PM

Found in Louisville, KY Newcut Rd Store about 2 hours ago,

Lots of Flintstones Seasons
Lots of Dastardly & Mutley
Lots of Wacky Races
1 Superman Animated Series Vol. 1/Batman:TAS Vol. 1 combo pack left
2 Batman: TAS Vol. 4
A few Tales from the Crypt Seasons 2-4 left
I got the only Looney Toons Boxset $10 (lucky me)
Powerpuff Girls 10th Aniv. complete collection 6 discs $3 got the only 2
A few Lois & Clark S1 & S2
a couple Superman S2? & S? I think someone grabbed as I was leaving I think
I think I got the only Everwood Season 1
Roots Complete $10 about 10 (buyer beware discs scratched to hell)

Still looking for Birdman & Space Ghost
Old 07-17-09, 07:07 PM

Thanks. I will make the rounds tomorrow morning and see what I can find.
Just a little warning about the Pearland location. Two ladies were buying a lot of the $3 sets when I was in there. Multiple copies of the same titles. Mostly all the animated stuff. I'm beginning to think that's the reason I hardly find anything there. Not sure if they are resellers or they're just stocking up on X-mas gifts.
Old 07-17-09, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chop2Chip10
Where are you located on the West Coast?
I was in Sacramento.
Old 07-17-09, 07:21 PM

Just a little warning about the Pearland location. Two ladies were buying a lot of the $3 sets when I was in there. Multiple copies of the same titles. Mostly all the animated stuff. I'm beginning to think that's the reason I hardly find anything there. Not sure if they are resellers or they're just stocking up on X-mas gifts.
I experienced this very thing first hand yesterday. I went to the BL on Shepherd in the Heights at lunch - they had put out many of the new $3 sets. I was running low on time and got what I could find. I returned on my way home just to see if I had missed anything. They didn’t have near as much as they did earlier - but while I was looking a man rushed in, got a shopping cart, and picked up every single $3 set they had. I stopped by on my way home today and they had put out more (though not as much) of some of the same titles. So I think some of the stores are putting these out as they go and not all at once.
Old 07-17-09, 07:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

if anyone finds a "Lois and Clark" season 2 set that they want to trade or sell let me know. It's the only one here in Tucson that I can't find.
Old 07-17-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
my local store has a couple of them as of this morning. they are $9 would be willing to trade for the kubrick set (will add in the extra $1 and a few more to cover shipping)
Thanks Seth, but I doubt if I will find the Kubrick set. It's been rather pitiful here in the L.A. area for finding anything beyond JOEY and THE DUKES OF HAZZARD.

Need any Disco Pilates DVDs? Those I can find here at Big Lots.
Old 07-17-09, 07:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by marald
Found in Louisville, KY Newcut Rd Store about 2 hours ago,

Lots of Flintstones Seasons
Lots of Dastardly & Mutley
Lots of Wacky Races
1 Superman Animated Series Vol. 1/Batman:TAS Vol. 1 combo pack left
2 Batman: TAS Vol. 4
A few Tales from the Crypt Seasons 2-4 left
I got the only Looney Toons Boxset $10 (lucky me)
Powerpuff Girls 10th Aniv. complete collection 6 discs $3 got the only 2
A few Lois & Clark S1 & S2
a couple Superman S2? & S? I think someone grabbed as I was leaving I think
I think I got the only Everwood Season 1
Roots Complete $10 about 10 (buyer beware discs scratched to hell)

Still looking for Birdman & Space Ghost
First i have heard of the Powerpuff Girls. The entire series for $3. wow!
Old 07-17-09, 07:47 PM

Just picked up

-Lakers Complete History
-History of Rock & Roll
-NFL Films Inside the Vault

from the New Philadelphia (OH) store.

They had plenty of copies of each, as well as some of the Super Bowl sets, Night Court, The War At Home, Scooby Doo Movie Collection, Jamie Foxx Show, The OC, Roots, Dukes of Hazzard. They were pretty stocked.

No $10 sets though.
Old 07-17-09, 07:50 PM

I experienced this very thing first hand yesterday. I went to the BL on Shepherd in the Heights at lunch - they had put out many of the new $3 sets. I was running low on time and got what I could find. I returned on my way home just to see if I had missed anything. They didn’t have near as much as they did earlier - but while I was looking a man rushed in, got a shopping cart, and picked up every single $3 set they had. I stopped by on my way home today and they had put out more (though not as much) of some of the same titles. So I think some of the stores are putting these out as they go and not all at once.
That's good if the stores are only putting out a few at a time. I was lucky to get to the Pearland location about 10 minutes before they arrived. I know they grabbed the 4 remaining Batman vol.1/Superman vol.1 2 packs and the other remaining Batman volumes.
Old 07-17-09, 07:52 PM

Today at the Zanesville, OH store I hit the motherload. The $3 selection wasn't great I only snagged seasons 1 and 3 of the flintstones. I finally found the Smallville blu ray after having already checked that big lots twice for it along with 4 other biglots. I also found 1 of the Looney Tunes Vol 1-5 set someone had already got the vol 6 10 minutes before hand though
Old 07-17-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is getting ridiculous...

Stopped at Eastland in Lexington again, three new four sided displays of MGM and FOX $3 titles. Nothing spectacular but they now have the Bonds.

No new box sets.

I did grab Bob, the Devil and God and The Living Daylights (the only Bond that I've seen so far from the 2007 remasters... Figured, screw it, maybe they'll get all of those eventually too, why not).

Guess I'll just stop by there every damn day from now on and the other location on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday... I really want to find those Tales From The Crypt sets.

Anyone becoming friends with the employees yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.