DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 4

Old 07-15-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 4

Does anyone have a link to the 20% off coupon for ths Sunday?
Old 07-15-09, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the new WB dvd box set discoveries ... WOW!!! JUST WOW!!! So much for eating for the rest of the month .. lol!
Old 07-15-09, 06:49 PM

If anyone finds ANY extra Hannah Barbera $3 set pm and I can look for something you may need or I could just buy them.
Old 07-15-09, 06:54 PM

Only east coast? Really? Only 1 of my 4 Big Lots put out a huge selection of $6 seasons, the other 3, so so selection.
Old 07-15-09, 07:13 PM

feel like it is more fun searching for these bargain, than actually watching the DVD itself... )

I picked up a few Warner titles which I am interested but will never pay full price for them...

I am sure I will spend a lot more $ at Biglot (well if I can find all the titles I want) than DD 25% sale...
Old 07-15-09, 07:13 PM

Is it time for a new thread? Big Lots Part 5? This one is 50+ pages now.
Old 07-15-09, 07:19 PM

Does Warner Bros. own Big Lots or something? How are these 3 dollar box set prices even possible!?
Old 07-15-09, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I'd say since the singles list for around $65 each, this lists for at least $200 assuming this is the set.

Yep. Thats it. It even has the 5 collectible pins.
Only found one copy and snatched it up quick.

I went to 3 stores today. no luck at any except for the first store in my crappy lil town.
I would love to find Seasons 2-4 or Lois and Clark and others.
Old 07-15-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have got to check a couple of local Big Lots after work tomorrow! I hope I can find that Space Ghost & Dino Boy. Stanley Kubrick Collection and the Tales from the Crypt seasons.
Old 07-15-09, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by jsz1002
Does Warner Bros. own Big Lots or something? How are these 3 dollar box set prices even possible!?

Well this was bound to happen eventually.

Stores only have so much shelf space to go around, so eventually things that didn't sell are going to be sent back to WB and they either sit on a loss or sell them cheap, which is what they're doing.

It also doesn't help that we're in a recession and stuff isn't coming off the shelves like before. Add in things being released at the same pace and eventually they were going to have to liquidate old stock.

I picked up...

The America's Game 41-Disc set - $10
The Stanley Kubrick Collection - $10

and the lady at my local Big Lots said they wouldn't put today's stuff out until right after close, so I'm heading back first thing in the morning to try to raid more.
Old 07-15-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 243 Posts

Called a store earlier. Asked about $10 DVD sets and was transferred to a manager. She couldn't confirm specific info but said they received some DVDs on a truck and would put them on the floor tomorrow. When I asked what time they expected to do so, she said they start at 5 a.m. Guess I'll be there when the doors open. Happy with what I've found so far, but that Looney Tunes box set would be the best find yet.
Old 07-15-09, 07:55 PM

Colonie NY.... OC S2, West Wing S2, Nip Tuck S4, Lakers collection, Dukes of Hazzard S5/S6, The Roots (but not the 10 dollar set), Nightcourt S1, Joey S1
Old 07-15-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111

Thanks to Johnny Z for the tip about the Lexington store. I took home a slew of stuff. Grabbed the last Kubrick set, the last 40-disc NFL set and the Roots Collection (there were lots of them). Didn't see the IMAX set. Also found a bunch of the animated stuff, picking up a few extras to make available for trades. Still have to sort things out but it looks like what I found has been listed already.

Lots of activity around the display today. Talked with one lady who was feverishly looking for the ER sets (there were none that I saw today) because they were in the ad. Got me to thinking that after these first few days, perhaps these casual Big Lots shoppers may not check back on the DVDs, not realizing how often new stuff appears.

Cool that they were still there for ya... She was feverishly looking eh? Join the club hon... I've been feverishly looking for weeks. But, I almost have all of them now.

Almost... and so it goes. I'll check again tomorrow evening.

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot

I can't be the only one who has the feeling I'll be dead in the cold ground before I get the time or inclination to even begin to watch half of this stuff
No, you're not alone there... My unwatched stack is freaking ridiculous at this point. I'm passing on most of the animated shows for that reason... $3 Tales From The Crypt though, is now my most wanted title to stack up with the rest.
Old 07-15-09, 08:20 PM

Just got back from the Jacksonville NC store... Bunch of nothing left... OC, Joey, Dukes, Night Court... The end...

Hoping they get the other stuff in soon!
Old 07-15-09, 08:25 PM
kk8
Cool New Member

NE Ohio got the last copies of Pinky &the Brain and Animaniacs season 2 looked picked over when I got there though
Old 07-15-09, 08:54 PM
Banned

For those thinking they can make a killing on Ebay keep these outrageous fees in mind:

$6.50 DVD Set Cost with tax
$ .35 Ebay Listing Fee
$1.05 Final Value Fee on $12 Sale with Free Shipping
$ .70 Paypal Transaction Fee
$1.00 Bubble Mailer
$1.90 Media Mail Postage Fee
————
$11.50

So, if you are lucky enough to sell that set for $12, you will have a whopping profit of 50, or $3.50 if you charge for shipping. ...oh, and Ebay is flooded with these sets already.

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-15-09 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 09:05 PM

Honestly, these latest finds that people are coming across are some of the best I've ever heard at Big Lots. I'd do anything to get all the Golden Collection of "Looney Tunes" at those prices, I'd also love to get all those Hanna-Barbera sets. I'm surprised that there was no "Yogi Bear" sets in the lots. Oh well, who knows maybe those are on the horizon.
Old 07-15-09, 09:29 PM
Banned

Be careful with the Roots complete collection for $10. EVERY SINGLE DISK in the collection is scratched to shit.
I bought the individual sets for $6 each last week and today I also got the complete set for $10. I mainly got it for the Roots: The Gift, the 2 bonus dvd's and book.
But all the disks have quite the impressive no. or marks on em.
So, even for $10 Buyer Beware.
Old 07-15-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My ER season 2 set had a bunch of scratches, and were double sided discs so that also didn't help. However, for $6 I decided to live with the scratches since they seemed to be surface scratches only. Got the impression this is a manufacturer repackage and resell.
Old 07-15-09, 09:49 PM

My Roots Complete Collection dvd's were scratched horribly also. One of the worst packaging designs ever in my opinion.
Old 07-15-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Be careful with the Roots complete collection for $10. EVERY SINGLE DISK in the collection is scratched to shit. So, even for $10 Buyer Beware.
Truth. The worst set design ever... Ditto here after I opened it. You're much better off getting the two keep case sets if you can live without The Gift. I'm a little pissed about it but with the other amazing deals that I have found, I'll live with it...

I'm actually keeping the individual sets and writing the box off as a learning experience... Fortunately, The Gift was the only disc in the box that was in good condition. I'm assuming the scratched to hell discs will play and I always have DVDs around for my work... Fortunate to be in a field where I need test discs. So, off to work they go...

BTW... The America's Game set also has some pretty shitty cardboard packaging for the discs. Nowhere near as bad as the Roots box but - if you find it - don't expect your discs to be pristine.

Who in the fuck thought it was a good idea to place discs in cardboard? They're still doing this... The Futurama movies and There Will Be Blood were packaged that way. But, thankfully, I got them in sleeves before they were scratched all to hell.
Old 07-15-09, 10:09 PM

I went to visit my parents today and saw the Big Lots ad for $6 TV sets. When I saw what was pictured in the ad I was like HOLY SHIT. I showed my girlfriend in the car and I was like lets go to Big Lots. They had some sets there and I picked up Smallville S 7 on Blu (2 sets), 1 OC S 2 (for my Girlfriend). They also had Superfriends and Joey and West Wing and Six Feet Under and Pinky and the Brain.

They also had for $3 a lot of UFC PPVs.

I always use this site and never thought to look at the Big Lots Postings.....THOSE $10 sets are sick.
I didn't notice any $10 sets, but wasn't lookign for them. Now that I know you best be sure I am going Big Lots hunting this weekend.

BTW is this $6 sale for this week only or is that the regular price?

Last edited by doctaheath78; 07-15-09 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 10:17 PM

Went today and found a bunch of flinstones seasons 1-4 and many other classic cartoons.

as well as

Second hand lions
dark blue
bulletproof monk
wedding crashers
16 blocks
the fugitive kind
Old 07-15-09, 10:20 PM

I likely won't be able to get to Lexington this week, but I headed over to the Danville store after work tonight in hopes of finding some of the stuff Johnny Z saw in Lexington last night (although it looks like cardsfan111 was able to grab some of it) - or, even better, one of those big-ass Looney Tunes sets. No luck, but I did find a few things that I hadn't seen in either of the Lexington stores - including one copy of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home S1, which I picked up for possible trade, along with a couple Six Feet Under S3 sets (they had quite a few of those). I was really hoping I'd find an ER S4, 5, 6, or 8 (have all of those been found elsewhere?), but there were no ER or Friends sets anywhere. They did have a bunch of Knots Landing S1, which I also hadn't seen in Lexington, and several of the other usuals: Joey S1, Night Court S1, Nip/Tuck S4, West Wing S2, Dukes S5 and 6, O.C. S2, Roots TNG, Pinky S2 and one remaining S1 (but no Animaniacs, I don't think). No Wonder Woman, Smallville, $3 sets, or $10 collections.

Oh, and they had plenty new and older stock of $3 single-disc titles - including one copy of Waiting for Guffman, which I had been looking for, so score on that!

As for the scratched discs: Warner seems to be among the worst studios for damaged discs. Nearly every Warner multi-disc set I've owned has had scratches, fingerprints, duplicate/missing discs or something else wrong with it - but I feel better taking my chances at $3 and $6 than when I've paid closer to list price in the past. So if you aren't planning to watch the sets pretty quickly, be sure to open and inspect them while there's still time to return/exchange any problematic ones.

Last edited by Snooples; 07-15-09 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 10:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Could you guys start mentioning the location of the stores you're finding stuff? I know some people do, but a lot of the posts just give a list of titles people found and it would be nice to know if they were at any of the stores even remotely near me.

FYI, I was at the North Hollywood (Vineland Av) and Hollywood (Vine St) stores today and they didn't have any of the new sets.... if that saves anyone a trip.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.