Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

Old 07-04-10, 10:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

This is very YMMV. My nearby Walmart has some odd clearances.

On an endcap along with the $2.00 Merry Madagascar DVDs I reported earlier this year, they had some other titles for $2 each. They had: Up in the Air (George Clooney), Flicka 2, Charlie's Angels Full Throttle (Full Screen only), Private Parts (Howard Stern), Marathon Man (Dustin Hoffman), and a couple of other titles. I thought Up in the Air was misstocked until I took it to the scanner.

They also had and endcap full of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen single disc and a few of the Walmart exclusive 2-disc big screen editions for $3 each. Again, I took them to the scanner because I thought the sign on the endcap was incorrect but they rang up at $3.

Inline in their regular DVD section, they had Twilight New Moon with lenticular cover with walmart exclusive sneak peek of eclipse for only $5. The regular non-walmart exclusive was still around $17. They also had the last Star Trek movie single disc for $5.

Along with some of the above titles, I also picked up a Ghost House Underground double feature that included The Children and The Thaw for $9.00.

They also had two seperate Stephen King multi-feature 4 packs for $13 each. Some of the titles they included were Cujo, Jacob's Ladder, and Thinner.
Old 07-04-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
...$2 each. They had: Up in the Air (George Clooney)...
$2 for Up in the Air is psychotic, great find! Wish my local Wal-mart was that insane, will check but I have my doubts (maybe Black Friday). Excellent movie.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-04-10 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-04-10, 04:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
They also had and endcap full of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen single disc...for $3 each. Again, I took them to the scanner because I thought the sign on the endcap was incorrect but they rang up at $3.
Must be a fluke, or maybe it's just a Texas thing, I just looked at my local WalMart here in Ohio, didn't see it, asked, they looked at me like I was crazy.....darn it... -kd5-
Old 07-13-10, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today at Wal-mart I saw:

$14.96
X-Files S5
X-files S6

$24.96
Angel S1/Buffy S1

$29.96
X-Files S1/S2
X-Files S3/S4
Buffy S2/S3
Buffy S4/S5
Angel S2/S3
Angel S4/S5

All were in the new packaging style.
Old 07-13-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today, I saw both Seasons 1 & 2 of Reaper packaged together for $19.96

Basically, it was each season shrinkwrapped together with the front covers facing out, although a new insert cover was under the shrinkwrap indicating the 2 seasons' coverart side-by-side. Season 2 did not come with the slipcover, while Season 1 does.
Old 07-13-10, 08:39 PM
Zbu

The new slimline versions of Stargate SG-1 are being packaged together. S1 & S2 were packaged together at Walmart for $24.96. Also, they're doing the same thing for Big Valley but I missed how much they were.
Old 07-13-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase

Basically, it was each season shrinkwrapped together with the front covers facing out, although a new insert cover was under the shrinkwrap indicating the 2 seasons' coverart side-by-side. Season 2 did not come with the slipcover, while Season 1 does.
That's an awesome deal for a great show. I wish it hadn't gotten canceled.
Old 07-14-10, 07:24 PM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

The bargain bin looked like it was re-stocked at my local Wal-Mart and was overflowing so badly that I couldn't even look through it. I did manage to grab Pet Semetary collector's edition from it $5.00. I also got the 2 disc special edition of Predator for $7.50
Old 07-18-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase

Thanks for the heads up on this. Picked up a copy on Friday. I am looking forward to placing it next to my growing collection of "unjustly cancelled shows" such as Better off Ted, Life on Mars, Flash Forward, Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies, etc., etc., etc.
Old 07-22-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
This will have a limited appeal, but here goes:

I got the Detroit Red Wings 2007-2008 Stanley Cup DVD set with all 6 games of the Finals on 4 disc for $9.96. 700 minutes of hockey for $10! Best Buy has it for $35.
Even less appeal to us Penguins fans out there

Where is the 08-09 set at... THATS what I want... Give me a chance to delete that game 7 masterpiece off my DVR

On topic, Picked up South Park Seasons 7 & 9 for 10 apiece last night, awesome prices...now I need 8, 11, and 13 (on blu) to catch up
Old 07-23-10, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$15 seasons on the same display as the $15 BD 2-packs:

Entourage 1 & 2
Friday Night Lights S1
Everybody Loves Raymond (a few different seasons)
Friends (A few different)
Robot Chicken S3
Life S1
Buck Rogers (complete series)
Eureka (whatever that show is)

And a few others I've already forgotten.

Also a lot of $7 movie 2-packs. Too many to remember, but I did almost consider Demon Night / Bordello of Blood.
Old 07-23-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Also a lot of $7 movie 2-packs. Too many to remember, but I did almost consider Demon Night / Bordello of Blood.
That one has been popped up at Big Lots for $3, so it may be worth it to see if your store has any left.
Old 07-24-10, 11:15 PM

ymmv on this one, but this evening I found the complete tv series "birds of prey" for 16.95. was quite happy to find this at a good price as I am a big fan of comic book type action. for those unfamiliar with the series, it was a short lived (only 13 hour length episodes produced) expansion of the dc comics universe centering around a charactor named "huntress", who is the daughter of batman and the catwoman. and, as a bonus feature on this 4 disc set is the full series of a web based animated series called "gotham girls" which further expands on the dc comics universe.
Old 07-25-10, 10:49 AM

I hate finding things in the Wal-Mart $5 dump bin only to discover it was put there accidentally but I did find one gem . Yesterday I found WWE Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story 3-DVD set and it actually rung up $5.

Also Wal-Mart put out some new value DVD sets:

Enterprise Season 1 $19.96 (for those that missed it before)
Ducktales Season 1 and 2 $12.96
WWE The Bret Hart Story $10
Old 07-25-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by iacon45
I hate finding things in the Wal-Mart $5 dump bin only to discover it was put there accidentally but I did find one gem . Yesterday I found WWE Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story 3-DVD set and it actually rung up $5.

Also Wal-Mart put out some new value DVD sets:

Enterprise Season 1 $19.96 (for those that missed it before)
Ducktales Season 1 and 2 $12.96
WWE The Bret Hart Story $10
FYI these are 8.99 at Costco.
Old 07-25-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorow
ymmv on this one, but this evening I found the complete tv series "birds of prey" for 16.95. was quite happy to find this at a good price as I am a big fan of comic book type action. for those unfamiliar with the series, it was a short lived (only 13 hour length episodes produced) expansion of the dc comics universe centering around a charactor named "huntress", who is the daughter of batman and the catwoman. and, as a bonus feature on this 4 disc set is the full series of a web based animated series called "gotham girls" which further expands on the dc comics universe.
As a longtime fan of Batman: The Animated Series, I've had my eye on this release just for the "Gotham Girls" web series. I'll keep an eye out for this; thanks!
Old 07-28-10, 10:42 PM

I saw seasons 1 and 9 of Everybody Loves Raymond (they might have had seasons 2 and 3 as well, but I forget), for $15 individually. They also had seasons 2 and 9 of Friends. I know, random, right? What I found interesting was season 9 seemed to have been repackaged. It was in a standard-sized case, which was interesting. Season 2 was in the regular digipak case that they usually come in.
Old 07-29-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Thanks for the heads up on this. Picked up a copy on Friday. I am looking forward to placing it next to my growing collection of "unjustly cancelled shows" such as Better off Ted, Life on Mars, Flash Forward, Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies, etc., etc., etc.
With a list of shows like that, I dont even know why you'd even watching ABC...
Old 07-29-10, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Captsmee.00
The bargain bin looked like it was re-stocked at my local Wal-Mart and was overflowing so badly that I couldn't even look through it.
I have no idea why they went back to the $5 bin, the shelves were perfect. With the bin you can't get a good look at everything, it constantly overflows, and the discs in eco-cases get all smashed up.
Old 07-29-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-29-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 627 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by fattyjoe37
I have no idea why they went back to the $5 bin, the shelves were perfect. With the bin you can't get a good look at everything, it constantly overflows, and the discs in eco-cases get all smashed up.
If I *ever* decide to dig through one of those travesties again I'll resort to what I was doing right before the put in the shelving units... get a cart and as I look through the bin pile everything in the cart. When done, walk away. Yeah, it's not very "nice" but it gets the job done and an associate with nothing better to do can dump 'em all back in the bin. I know they're around as I see 'em wandering the store looking busy all the time.
Old 07-29-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
If I *ever* decide to dig through one of those travesties again I'll resort to what I was doing right before the put in the shelving units... get a cart and as I look through the bin pile everything in the cart. When done, walk away. Yeah, it's not very "nice" but it gets the job done and an associate with nothing better to do can dump 'em all back in the bin. I know they're around as I see 'em wandering the store looking busy all the time.
I can't blame you for using this strategy. That has worked in the past. I thought the cart had been put there by store workers because there were more discs than room in the bin. It is beyond annoying trying to "dig" through the pile. Then you also compete with other people who inadvertently push the ones you pulled out back into the pile. So you never really get to the bottom.
Old 07-30-10, 05:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Then you also compete with other people who inadvertently push the ones you pulled out back into the pile. So you never really get to the bottom.
I used to think getting to the bottom was somehow important. But I think it's magical thinking. I now believe that the bottom contains the same crap as the rest of the pile and I don't worry about not getting there.
Old 07-31-10, 09:04 AM

My approach to the bins is simply to riffle through the top layer, usually finding nothing, and move along. The thing that always has baffled me is why the geniuses at WM often fill it heaping over the brim--so there's basically no open place to put displaced items as one digs. That's a variant on the old CD store trick of filling the bins so tightly that the titles can't be flipped. Seems to me you'd want to make browsing easy, not hard.
Old 08-02-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Picked up the 3 Liondgate horror 4 packs here over the last few weeks.

Slaughter High, My Best Friend Is A Vampire, Repossesed and Silent Night Deadly Night 3.
Dead and Gone, Boy Eats Girl, Return of the Living Dead 3, Return of the Living Dead Necropolis
Pumpkinhead 2, Leprechaun, Wishmaster, Wishmaster 2.

Are there anymore?

Too bad ROTLD 3 is the R version, guess I'll have to hang onto that VHS. Also Wishmaster was a lot better than I remember it being.

Now that I think about it it seems like the whole ROTLD series if fucked on DVD. 1 having re-dubbed voices, 2 with a different soundtrack and 3 not getting it's UR cut.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 08-02-10 at 01:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.