Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

Old 10-10-10, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
I've been happy to see the return of the $5 bins to several of the WMs I visit. And a nice, well made fixture, too--not a cheap cage, but a decent piece of store furniture. As if they intend to keep it around for a while. Kind of a squared circle thing with heavy posts at the corners. Of course, they're up to their old tricks with them--heaping DVDs so high that you can't really displace items to hunt beneath them. Like another poster, I haven't bought from a bin for some time. Six, eight months. Actually, I've bought very few DVDs of any kind from WM this year.

Mine changed the bin a few weeks ago. It's a weird shaped thing with plastic sides. The thing is that instead of two bins, one for English DVDs and the other for Spanish Language DVDs they've gotten rid of those and are now down to a single bin and have combined all the languages into one. So now about 75% are now Spanish titles. Well, I seldom dig into the bin now, it's just not worth it anymore.

I did see that they have Charmed Seasons 5+ for $15 each and NCIS: Miami for the same price. And two packs of In Living Color for about $20.
Old 10-10-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
Well, I seldom dig into the bin now, it's just not worth it anymore.
This.
Old 10-11-10, 12:28 PM
Zbu

Mine changed the bin a few weeks ago. It's a weird shaped thing with plastic sides. The thing is that instead of two bins, one for English DVDs and the other for Spanish Language DVDs they've gotten rid of those and are now down to a single bin and have combined all the languages into one. So now about 75% are now Spanish titles. Well, I seldom dig into the bin now, it's just not worth it anymore.

I did see that they have Charmed Seasons 5+ for $15 each and NCIS: Miami for the same price. And two packs of In Living Color for about $20.
Are those the Seasons 1-2 and 3-4 packs? I saw the former a few months ago, replaced by the latter for this time around. I would indulge but I have no idea how they would deal with Season 5.
Old 10-11-10, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zbu
Are those the Seasons 1-2 and 3-4 packs? I saw the former a few months ago, replaced by the latter for this time around. I would indulge but I have no idea how they would deal with Season 5.
Are you referring to the In Living Color sets?

If so, mine only had the first 2 seasons in a set.

Charmed & NCIS: Miami were individual sets.
Old 10-11-10, 10:04 PM

found tonight in the $5 bin "I hope they serve beer in hell" , unrated version, was surprised to find such a recent film in the $5 bin
Old 10-12-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 352 Likes on 266 Posts

Got Howard The Duck and Hey There, It's Yogi Bear for $5 each today. I hate to support Wal-Mart, but gotta help these titles sell!
Old 10-12-10, 08:01 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts

I seldom dig into the bin now, it's just not worth it anymore.
Same here. I'll even go a step further by saying that it's getting to the point where WalMart isn't even worth shopping for DVD deals anymore, their prices haven't budged for so long, I'm tired of looking at the same old crap for the same old prices week after week after week. It gets really discouraging. -kd5-
Old 10-12-10, 11:18 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here it comes....

I found The Karate Kid collection for $13 and it includes the first 3 movies. Has anybody got this set? I think for that price, its a great deal, but it doesn't say if it includes the special features from the previous releases and if the transfer is good or not.
Old 10-12-10, 05:34 PM

So I walked into my Super Wal-mart to pick up a few non-movie related items and wondered by the movie section ... WTF!?!?!?!?

A few new releases, a Disney 4-sided display, a few TV box sets, and just a few other DVD's. Of course a Blu-ray display and some Blu-Ray's now in the normal section.

EVERYTHING else was stacked high to the ceiling in two bargain bins. Jammed in there. Anything and everything! Weird stuff too like 30 copies of a DVD already opened. No wrap, no security seals. Just opened. Most of this stuff was smashed all to pieces. Swarming with people grabbing them. I got a few like 4 Film favorites, ect,. and price scanned them ... $15 each. I tried others. There is no clearance sale. They just threw them all in the bargain boxes.

I wanted to know what was going on. It seems Wal-Mart is too good for DVD's now. Won't be carry many any more as of today. Putting all Blu-Ray in the normal section now.

Well, so much for me thinking this wouldn't happen until Jan 2011 or better yet Jan 2012. It happened today. I couldn't even get at the movies. I grabbed a Deluxe Edition of Viva Las Vegas that was already opened. (All 30 copies were. What is this from a multi-pack opened?) I wanted to make sure the right movie was inside. I don't want to look like I opened it so I asked a man working there to look inside for me. He didn't know how to open a DVD ... apparently he has never seen one before. So I did it for him.

All of them acted like DVD's were trash. Like they wanted to just give them away or throw them out. I have never been so insulted.

I thought my Big Lots was bad!

I think I may run screaming to online shopping only! Amazon.com, eBay, and so on is where I must shop now. Best Buys shrank their DVD section to nothing now. Target will go next. Curse Wal-Mart for this!

Well, I hope this isn't happening to all of you. The industry demands we all go 100% Blu-Ray so they're forcing the issue by saying DVD is dead.

Just makes me mad.
Old 10-12-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Got Howard The Duck and Hey There, It's Yogi Bear for $5 each today. I hate to support Wal-Mart, but gotta help these titles sell!
I knew Howard the Duck would be a $5 title at some point. No copies at my store, but I did order it from Deep Discount for $5.99. Of course it's out of stock, but the wait is worth it to avoid another trip to Wally World.
Old 10-12-10, 09:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Picked up "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" and "The Lost Boys: Two-Disc Special Edition" for five bucks each. Nice deal.

Plus I picked up "When The Levees Broke" for nine bucks (three disc set). Great deal.

- - -

Question.

Where are you located DarkRavenII? I'm wonder if this could be a regional thing. My store's DVD selection is huge. And today I saw the list of new titles to replace the older stuff. Very cool.

Found out yesterday that my local Target (San Bernardino, CA) has reduced their DVD section. This situation sucks.

Last edited by JohnIan; 10-12-10 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 12:00 AM

It's the Lenoir City, TN Super Wal-mart. Never seen such a mess. I'd understand if they were changing the display (yet again). But they took 80% of the DVD's down and threw them in the bargain bin. None of them ring up as any sort of sale. They were already putting Blu-Ray into the standard area as I left. So unless I want a select new DVD release at full price there is no reason to go back to the movie section any more for DVD's. Well, the 4-sided Disney / cartoons display was left untouched thus far. I just didn't like the whole DVD's are trash and Blu-ray is gold.

I enjoy my DVD collecting. It's what I do. So to have stores do things like this makes me sad.
Old 10-13-10, 01:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Makes me wonder if it's a market test.

See if they rid themselves of DVDs will the masses switch to Blu; a forceful push.

Wouldn't surprise me. It's the Detroit mentailty, they build cars you BUY; no concern what the consumer actually wants. No wonder they failed.

- - -

I enjoy my DVD collecting. It's what I do.
Same here. I won't be jumping to Blu. My next format will be the one after BR. I have so many DVDs I have yet to own.
Old 10-13-10, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 352 Likes on 266 Posts

That kids' display is very space-inefficient. There's a ton of wasted empty space in the middle of it.
Old 10-13-10, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Makes me wonder if it's a market test.

See if they rid themselves of DVDs will the masses switch to Blu; a forceful push.

Wouldn't surprise me. It's the Detroit mentailty, they build cars you BUY; no concern what the consumer actually wants. No wonder they failed.

- - -

Same here. I won't be jumping to Blu. My next format will be the one after BR. I have so many DVDs I have yet to own.
I don't want to derail this thread and I appreciate your reluctance to upgrade. However, this could be a sign that the price of Blu Ray is going to continue to drop. It wasn't that long ago the list price for regular DVDs was over $20. Now, it is pretty rare I spend any more than $5 - 7 for a regular DVD and $10 - $15 for a Blu Ray. I really didn't want to take the plunge into Blu Ray, but I ended up buying an original PS3 (w/backwards compatibility for my PS2 games) and then started to get into buying Blu Ray. I don't think it will be that far fetched to see Blu Ray in the $5 bin and reg DVDs going for the Big Lots price of $3. Just my two cents.
Old 10-13-10, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm in no hurry to go "Blu" either. I've got mediocre eyesight, & a 36" crt tv.
Old 10-13-10, 07:48 AM

When Blu Rays are routinely $5 and you can get a good player for $50, then it may be time to start adopting. But until my Panasonic CRT dies, I have no plans to upgrade to a flat screen. I hate wasting a good piece of gear just because it's "obsolete." Does it look as good as an LCD or Plasma? Nope. Is it good enough? Yup.
Old 10-13-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 518 Posts

^My feelings exactly.

So far the stores here have not reduced the size of the DVD display to hawk Blu... but the dump bin is simply awful. I only go now to look for TVonDVD bargains.
Old 10-13-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 141 Posts

+1 to the SD party... prices on high definition have gone down a lot, just not enough.
Old 10-13-10, 07:35 PM

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I think DVDs are going to be primarily DVD R from places like the Warner Archive
Warner has recently added seasons of Night Court, Falcon Crest, and even the recent The New Adventures of Old Christine to its Burn On Demand exclusives. DVDs are going to end up being more expensive than blu ray.
Old 10-14-10, 07:21 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
Well, I hope this isn't happening to all of you. The industry demands we all go 100% Blu-Ray so they're forcing the issue by saying DVD is dead.
Well, if that is in fact the industry's plan, I'll stop shopping in the stores that decide not to handle DVDs anymore and shop strictly online. Screw them. -kd5-
Old 10-14-10, 10:04 AM
Zbu

The Blu-Ray sections at my two local Walmarts have cut back a little. Personally, I think both formats are here to stay for a while. The economy still stinks and by placing HD above everything else--especially when a lot of TV shows exist on a mixture of both--pushing the issue seems a little bit short-sighted.
Old 10-14-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Blu Rays are routinely $5 and you can get a good player for $50, then it may be time to start adopting.
This is pretty much what it's going to take for the format to wipe out DVD entirely.

I have a PS3 but no HD TV. I've got three DVD players, not counting laptops. While I am buying some new movies on Blu, for the most part I'm sticking to the format that I can enjoy in any room in my house, bring along to watch at any friend's house, do screen shots from on my laptops, etc.
Old 10-14-10, 10:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

When Blu Rays are routinely $5 and you can get a good player for $50, then it may be time to start adopting.
We're almost there. Players have been as cheap as $50, and decent players under $100 quite often. And with sales and coupons, my ~400 blu-rays have averaged about $7.
Old 10-14-10, 10:02 PM
Cool New Member

I got this Puppetmaster 3 pack. I haven't opened it yet. Not sure if I should since there are 10 movies in the series and I don't know if they'll release the rest in this way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.