Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

DVDPLANET Fire Sale- Dick Van Dyke complete $72.50 twilight zone$17.50 a season +more

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVDPLANET Fire Sale- Dick Van Dyke complete $72.50 twilight zone$17.50 a season +more

Old 05-09-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVDPLANET Fire Sale- Dick Van Dyke complete $72.50 twilight zone$17.50 a season +

I picked up the 2 through 5 seasons of D.V.D. and the Ulmer thing and used the -5.00 off 60.00 coupon and free shipping. I was looking at the Combat sets but I dont really remember this show and I was born in '61 so I passed on them and I dont like dual season sets.
Old 05-09-09, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVDPLANET Fire Sale- Dick Van Dyke complete $72.50 twilight zone$17.50 a season +

Title: Willow (Special Edition) Price: $6.99
Title: Yakuza Papers, The: Battles without Honor & Humanity Price: $25.00
Title: Pee-Wee Playhouse: Christmas Special (2004) Price: $1.25
Title: Pee-Wee's Playhouse Volume # 1 (1986-1987) Price: $5.00
Title: Pee-Wee's Playhouse Volume # 2 (1988-1990) Price: $5.00
Title: Ramones Raw Price: $3.00
Title: Chronicles Of Narnia Price: $4.00
Title: Lookout (2007) Price: $12.97

Total: $63.21
Coupon Code (MAY05): $5.00

Shipping: $0.00 (Free Economy Shipping)
Sales Tax: $0.00

Total Order: $58.21
Plus I used it through Cashbaq so hopefully I get credit for that
I hope I get the Yakuza Papers. It says out of Stock but I still hope I get it.
Old 05-09-09, 06:55 PM

For those thinking about the Twilight Zone Collection #1-3 at $10.00 each but are unsure about the exact episodes in the collections...here are the links to see if your favorite(s) are included-

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases...e-Release/1537

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases...e-Release/1538

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases...e-Release/1603
Old 05-09-09, 07:50 PM

Not quite the Fire Sale, but the soon-to-be-released Fritz Lang's Man Hunt is $6.99.
Old 05-09-09, 07:51 PM

TZ season 1 definitive was the only one i was still missing. Picked that up, thanks op.
Old 05-09-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I probably shouldn't have, I picked up the Twilight Zone Definitive Collection sets, Dick Van Dyke (although I missed the complete set) and few stray sets of Combat. No doubt there will be an even bigger better sale on the horizon now that I've squandered the kid's college fund...
Old 05-10-09, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by AGameWithStones View Post
Not quite the Fire Sale, but the soon-to-be-released Fritz Lang's Man Hunt is $6.99.
Nice find. Picked that up plus the 5 definitive Twilight Zones.
Old 05-10-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the tip. Picked up the Edgar Ulmer, the Ramones @ $3.00 & Laura from the $6.99 sale.
Old 05-10-09, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dmkb View Post
No doubt there will be an even bigger better sale on the horizon now that I've squandered the kid's college fund...
Just a reminder that we are indeed approaching that time of the year once more.
Old 05-10-09, 03:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ernestrp View Post
I picked up the 2 through 5 seasons of D.V.D. and the Ulmer thing and used the -5.00 off 60.00 coupon and free shipping. I was looking at the Combat sets but I dont really remember this show and I was born in '61 so I passed on them and I dont like dual season sets.
RE: Combat!

This is one of the all-time best shows on television IMHO. It's one of the few realistic war shows that aired (to me, it was light years above its contemporary rival, The Gallant Men, and much better than other WWII shows like Twelve O'Clock High, Rat Patrol, etc.). The show has held up amazingly well...I was born in 1954, so I watched it as a young'un. It's one of the few older shows that seems better now than back then, and has held up amazing well. My wife didn't watch it back then, so she's seeing the episodes for the first time...and she is amazed at the quality. Most of the shows are like watching a little mini-war-movie each week. Very gritty & realistic (people actually die, the Germans actually speak German, lots of hand-held camera work, etc.). It's not Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, but it's as close as network television could come at the time.

As far as the half-season sets go, at this price you're getting a complete season for $19.98.

Considering that most of the seasons ran 32 hour-long episodes, that's a bargain...especially compared to the 22-episode seasons of today's shows (or less, in the case of strike-shortened seasons).
Old 05-10-09, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
RE: Combat!

This is one of the all-time best shows on television IMHO. It's one of the few realistic war shows that aired (to me, it was light years above its contemporary rival, The Gallant Men, and much better than other WWII shows like Twelve O'Clock High, Rat Patrol, etc.). The show has held up amazingly well...I was born in 1954, so I watched it as a young'un. It's one of the few older shows that seems better now than back then, and has held up amazing well. My wife didn't watch it back then, so she's seeing the episodes for the first time...and she is amazed at the quality. Most of the shows are like watching a little mini-war-movie each week. Very gritty & realistic (people actually die, the Germans actually speak German, lots of hand-held camera work, etc.). It's not Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, but it's as close as network television could come at the time.

As far as the half-season sets go, at this price you're getting a complete season for $19.98.

Considering that most of the seasons ran 32 hour-long episodes, that's a bargain...especially compared to the 22-episode seasons of today's shows (or less, in the case of strike-shortened seasons).
Yep. I was a teenager during the show's run and it was everything you say, Creek. Unreservedly recommended.
Old 05-10-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up the 5 seasons of Twilight Zone. I've been waiting for a nice deal since I missed out on some past sales for the set. Thanks OP!
Old 05-10-09, 11:10 AM

I picked up all 3 seasons of "Lost World" $15 ea , "Pee-wee's playhouse #1 & #2" $5 ea and "Wizards" for $6.99 Thanks OP!
Old 05-10-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI - The complete Dick Van Dyke is back in stock again - grab it while you can.

Xbox69 - Right, I know that the 20/25% off sale is on the horizon, but its these other weird sales - like this firesale one - that have caught me offguard.
Old 05-10-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the Ulmer set and "Detour", along with the $6.99 "Man Hunt". I was kind of sad to see that the Sondheim set was part of the sale - but only because I paid more than $70 for it two years ago.
Old 05-10-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dmkb View Post
FYI - The complete Dick Van Dyke is back in stock again - grab it while you can.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll cancel my order from Deep Discount and get it here for $10 less.

Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series
Twilight Zone: The Definitive Edition - Season 1
Twilight Zone: The Definitive Edition - Season 2
Twilight Zone: The Definitive Edition - Season 3
Twilight Zone: The Definitive Edition - Season 4
Twilight Zone: The Definitive Edition - Season 5
Ramones Raw
Richard Pryor Show - Volume 1
Richard Pryor Show - Volume 2
Midnite Movies Double Feature - Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror (added to take me over $175 for the coupon)

Total comes to $160.99 after the $15 off coupon. Went through Cashbaq as well, which should give me another $6.xx off. I would have rather had the complete Twilight Zone, but this deal works.
Old 05-10-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 182 Posts

^Based on what I've been able to find out the only difference between the individual seasons of TTZ and the "complete" set is the packaging of the DVDs. The individual seasons are DVDs in slim packs and the complete set has each season in a digipak similar to what was used for "Babylon 5" seasons all in an outer case. While it would be nice to have the outer case I'll give that up for the better packaging of the individual seasons.

As I much prefer the slim packs to *any* type of digipack I jumped on all 5 seasons of TTZ. With the $5 off coupon it was $82.50 shipped! Great price!

I wanted to add some "Dick Van Dyke" *but* DD shows all seasons as having a "price bite" with a price of $20.40 each. Now I know that DD is currently running an Image titles sale too, so I really don't know fur shur (sic) if this "new" price will be the same during the next "sale". If it *is* then I'll be able to get those then for the same as now. The TZ sets at DD also show to have a "price bite" but the DVDPlanet prices are $2 each less now than the currently listed "price bite" - 25%. Not much, but it's still less. With the coupon it's $15 less than at DD during a "sale" which *should* get one of those "Dick Van Dyke" sets "free" so to speak.

Yeah... I think about this stuff waaaaay too much!
Old 05-10-09, 03:13 PM

Yup, the twilight zone sets are great deals. If I didnt just buy the complete collection from Amazon for $93, I would have jumped on this.
Old 05-10-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Based on what I've been able to find out the only difference between the individual seasons of TTZ and the "complete" set is the packaging of the DVDs. The individual seasons are DVDs in slim packs and the complete set has each season in a digipak.
This is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks.
I had been feeling a little disappointed expecting that I was winding up with even more packaging for my shrinking shelf space, but now it sounds as if this might even be the better way to go - I completely agree, slimpacks over digipaks any day!
Old 05-10-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^Based on what I've been able to find out the only difference between the individual seasons of TTZ and the "complete" set is the packaging of the DVDs. The individual seasons are DVDs in slim packs and the complete set has each season in a digipak similar to what was used for "Babylon 5" seasons all in an outer case.

Yeah... I think about this stuff waaaaay too much!

Hmmm are the Dick Van Dyke sets the same way? I thought the complete sets were just the individual season sets in a box. I picked up DVD s2-5 at the DD image B1G1 for around 10 bucks (w/ live.com) and picked up s1 on this sale. I always wanted the complete set, but may be glad I got the individual seasons if this is the case. (Did anyone notice the MSRP of individual DVD sets is 39.99 and the MSRP of complete DVD is 249.99 -- I'll bet by next year the MSRP of complete DVD will be less than 200 and the next DOTD will be around 60 bucks)
Old 05-10-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^Based on what I've been able to find out the only difference between the individual seasons of TTZ and the "complete" set is the packaging of the DVDs. The individual seasons are DVDs in slim packs and the complete set has each season in a digipak similar to what was used for "Babylon 5" seasons all in an outer case. While it would be nice to have the outer case I'll give that up for the better packaging of the individual seasons.

As I much prefer the slim packs to *any* type of digipack I jumped on all 5 seasons of TTZ. With the $5 off coupon it was $82.50 shipped! Great price!
Sounds like no big loss then. I hate digipacks anyway.
Old 05-10-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The complete TZ collection packaging was awful, loose disc's and it started to fall apart right away. I went out and purchased double slim cases to replace the what it came in. I would have preferred the the individual seasons to the complete set.
Old 05-10-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
Hmmm are the Dick Van Dyke sets the same way?
I found a review of the complete set here.
The outer box looks pretty cool and the reviewer states the disks are in individual slim packs. No mention is made as to whether there are bonuses included that are not in the individual sets but I don't really base purchases on that stuff anyway as I rarely watch it. I just have too many TV sets and movies in the queue to spend time watching/listening again for commentaries, etc. So, it looks like I'll be going for this one when the price is right... hopefully during the next DD % off sale.
Old 05-11-09, 06:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I originally owned the Complete Dick Van Dyke set - The discs are in slimpacks and that's nice, but there were no bonuses aside from the larger box all the slimpacks fit into. Last Fall I sold my complete set and picked up all but S1 during a B1G1 sale. So far I prefer this 'downgrade' - much easier to move the collections from shelf to shelf, and much easier to see individual seasons at a glance. --Peter
Old 05-11-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up! I missed out on the Amazon DOTD for the Twilight Zone set, so I picked those up. Hopefully they ship soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.