TV Week in Amazon's Gold Box (May 18-24)...Early warning for your wallet

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

TV Week in Amazon's Gold Box (May 18-24)...Early warning for your wallet

Old 05-23-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts
Re: TV Week in Amazon's Gold Box (May 18-24)...Early warning for your wallet

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Have they all been Universal so far? This one will probably be The Incredible Hulk complete series.

edit: Yeah, you're right. I hadn't even realized. The Incredible Hulk is also Universal (just checked) so that has to be the lightning deal.
Someone noted earlier in the thread that three out of the first four deals were Universal. Same with SNL, I guess.
Old 05-24-09, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Entourage Seasons 1-4 for $89.99, a whopping $25 off.

Crap way to end a crap sale. But I scooted by without anything this week, so heres to bigger and better things!
Old 05-24-09, 02:05 AM

Meh, S1-4 were $57 total around black friday
Old 05-24-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was checking on every sale every day this past week and it was truly disappointing. I wonder how big of a failure this was for amazon.com? If the consensus ran across all demographics or did a lot of people get suckered in?
Old 05-24-09, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
I was checking on every sale every day this past week and it was truly disappointing. I wonder how big of a failure this was for amazon.com? If the consensus ran across all demographics or did a lot of people get suckered in?
There was only one offer that tempted me and that was SNL S.4. I actually could have gotten it 2% (or a little more) cheaper than the Gold Box price bc it was also one of my quick picks for the day (how often does that happen). I decided against it for the fact that I haven't even put disc 1 of S.3 in my player yet. I figure by the time I watch S.3, I will be able to get S.4 at this price or (hopefully) lower.
Old 05-24-09, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
I'm sure Amazon got a few, but far from what they usually get. I also can't believe the lack of sales on everything in general. The local grocery stores are just being Scrooges, and it's not even Christmas. I mean seriously, do you call $5 for a 12-pack of soda...a sale? Fuckin' nuts, and I'll make my own for that price. And then your scaled-down containers of Breyers ice cream was on sale for $4.99, usually $5.69. Chicken on "sale" for $2.98/lb when it was $1.99 last fucking week?

Fuck you Mr. Kroger (i.e., Fred Meyer). Prices here in the NW are outrageous. Yeah, I could go to Costco, but I don't feel like driving 20 miles one way and managing the 400lb men and women (and their 200lb kids) strolling the aisles.

This is getting ridiculous and I don't see how our economy has any chance of bouncing back with shit prices like this. It's no wonder we keep our money in our wallets, and how much you wanna bet first thing Monday or Tuesday morning we get a ton of "economists" making comments on how consumers were being tight-assed in the retail sector this holiday weekend.

I will say Albertson's has routinely done rather well in their grocery sales, and I respect them more than any other grocer in the Portland area. Unfortunately, I didn't shop there when I got off work as it's very close, and boy did I make a mistake in thinking other grocers were going to have sales for the weekend. JFC.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-24-09 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-24-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Save 55% on "Entourage: The Complete First Four Seasons"

List Price: $199.92
Yesterday's Price: $114.99
Today's Discount: - $25.00
Gold Box Price: $89.99 (55% off)
Old 05-24-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I already have the 1st 4 seasons of Entourage, that means Amazon went 0 for 12 this past week in my book. My wallet thanks them!
Old 05-24-09, 11:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 357 Likes on 246 Posts

0 for 12 here as well, easily.
Old 05-24-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks to Amazon, I picked up a new video card from Newegg.
Old 05-24-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You used to be able to count on Amazon for amazing deals. With BN.com having lousy sales and wherehouse.com used prices too high, things are pretty bleak.
Old 05-24-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Like everyone else, I never reached for my wallet during this week's Gold Box sales. However, I don't necessarily see this as the end of good deals at Amazon. They still get a fair share of my DVD purchases online and I anticipate that continuing. Of course, that's based on the weakness of this week's deals not becoming a trend.
Old 05-24-09, 02:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I actually had similar thoughts and picked up a TV Tuner card from NewEgg with the money I didn't use in the Amazon sale.
Old 05-24-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Never thought twice about an item (maybe NE) but not a penny spent! thanks for the craptacular sale Amazon!
Old 05-24-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No sale for me either.
Old 05-24-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since this was such a crappy sale, I thought I'd post a poll to see just how many "bargains" did DVD Talkers take advantage of

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...hase-poll.html
Old 05-24-09, 05:31 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't spend a dime at amazon all week. Thank you amazon for not wanting to take any of my money.
Old 05-24-09, 06:08 PM

I'm sure Amazon got a few, but far from what they usually get. I also can't believe the lack of sales on everything in general. The local grocery stores are just being Scrooges, and it's not even Christmas. I mean seriously, do you call $5 for a 12-pack of soda...a sale? Fuckin' nuts, and I'll make my own for that price. And then your scaled-down containers of Breyers ice cream was on sale for $4.99, usually $5.69. Chicken on "sale" for $2.98/lb when it was $1.99 last fucking week?

Fuck you Mr. Kroger (i.e., Fred Meyer). Prices here in the NW are outrageous. Yeah, I could go to Costco, but I don't feel like driving 20 miles one way and managing the 400lb men and women (and their 200lb kids) strolling the aisles.

This is getting ridiculous and I don't see how our economy has any chance of bouncing back with shit prices like this. It's no wonder we keep our money in our wallets, and how much you wanna bet first thing Monday or Tuesday morning we get a ton of "economists" making comments on how consumers were being tight-assed in the retail sector this holiday weekend.

I will say Albertson's has routinely done rather well in their grocery sales, and I respect them more than any other grocer in the Portland area. Unfortunately, I didn't shop there when I got off work as it's very close, and boy did I make a mistake in thinking other grocers were going to have sales for the weekend. JFC.
Aside from your F'n bad language, I agree with you.