Warner's "Red2Blu" Plan - $4.95 to switch HD DVD to Blu-ray

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Warner's "Red2Blu" Plan - $4.95 to switch HD DVD to Blu-ray

Old 04-23-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Warner's "Red2Blu" Plan - $4.95 to switch HD DVD to Blu-ray

Originally Posted by blokhed
Shoot, I hadn't thought of that. I ordered new copies of Casablanca and Ultimate Matrix from Inetvideo yesterday with the intention of upgrading them. I hope they come with US UPCs.
You coulda saved $2.23 by getting the Complete Matrix instead. Somebody said they are upgrading that one to the Ultimate BD as well...
Old 04-23-09, 11:45 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sounds like a really good deal if you get all those 1.99 HDDVD titles from inetvideo now and do the trade in..
Old 04-23-09, 12:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kk725
I totally would! Besides, there were a couple of titles on there with a much-better-than-$5 difference. From iNetVideo, I grabbed:

Casablanca: $8.25 + R2B $5.95 = $14.20 vs. $40 on WBShop.com for the Ultimate Collector's Edition, which is what they upgrade you to. $25+ difference!
Happy Feet: $4.25 + R2B $5.95 = $10.20 vs. $22 on WBShop.com. $12 difference!
The Ultimate Matrix Collection: $26.50 + R2B $15.95 = $42.45 vs. $80 on WBShop.com for the Ultimate Collector's Edition, which is what they upgrade you to. $37+ difference, almost half the price!

I also got Syriana from Amazon, and will be saving over $10 on the R2B trade for that. It's definitely not worth it for all the titles because you have to hunt down the good prices, and then bother with sending them off to Warner, but there are definitely some good trades to be had without having already owned the HD-DVDs.

They show just a regular BD case when you click "Add to Upgrade", but it says "Casablanca: Ultimate Collector's Edition" below. Didn't see a regular version in their shop... a good trade, either way.
FYI - You just downgraded Happy Feet in terms of audio quality (HD had TrueHD BD had DD5.1).
Old 04-23-09, 12:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
If only Universal would jump on this bandwagon.
How would Universal do this when 65%+ of their HD DVD library is not available on Blu-ray?
Old 04-23-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
How would Universal do this when 65%+ of their HD DVD library is not available on Blu-ray?
Great point. I would like to think Universal would catch up by the end of this year.

Furthermore, Paramount has the $10 upgrade rebate promotion on their blu-rays, but I refuse to remove the tabs in order to take advantage. I wish they could simply replicate Warner's promotion.
Old 04-23-09, 12:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tofferman
Great point. I would like to think Universal would catch up by the end of this year.

Furthermore, Paramount has the $10 upgrade rebate promotion on their blu-rays, but I refuse to remove the tabs in order to take advantage. I wish they could simply replicate Warner's promotion.
They won't. Many titles Universal put out on HD DVD just to fluff out retail shelves so I doubt all of them will even get released.
Old 04-23-09, 02:29 PM

They won't. Many titles Universal put out on HD DVD just to fluff out retail shelves so I doubt all of them will even get released.
Not only that, but at the rate they're going, it'll take years, not months, to finish off the dozens of HD-DVD titles that have yet to make it to Blu-Ray.
Old 04-23-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kk725
And I don't mind the omission of TrueHD with Happy Feet, I'm not real picky about that sort of thing.
Do you have a receiver/surround sound setup capable of lossless high definition audio? If you do, I would think you would be upset over the loss of HD audio. The difference can be pretty huge. In any case, I have yet to hear a HD audio track that doesn't sound better than the regular surround sound track. I refuse to fork over $5 on something that is technically a downgrade in overall quality.
Old 04-23-09, 02:53 PM

as much as i love hd dvd,i have to decide how many to trade.my toshiba is an a3.so it converts only to 1080i as opposed to my blu ray player 1080p not a huge difference but a difference none the less.but i'm trying to hoard my money for the fat bd releases coming in the later this year.
Old 04-23-09, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You coulda saved $2.23 by getting the Complete Matrix instead. Somebody said they are upgrading that one to the Ultimate BD as well...
Really? I almost bought the Complete Matrix but decided for Ultimate because there wasn't a listing for Complete Matrix on the red2blu site. Unless I hear confirmation from a WB source, I'm more comfortable forking over the extra $2.23.
Old 04-23-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
Do you have a receiver/surround sound setup capable of lossless high definition audio? If you do, I would think you would be upset over the loss of HD audio. The difference can be pretty huge. In any case, I have yet to hear a HD audio track that doesn't sound better than the regular surround sound track. I refuse to fork over $5 on something that is technically a downgrade in overall quality.
Doesn't kk725 get to keep the HD-DVD disc too though and just mail-in the artwork? Someday if the old HD-DVD playing device finally dies the BD will already be there and waiting.
Old 04-23-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Doesn't kk725 get to keep the HD-DVD disc too though and just mail-in the artwork? Someday if the old HD-DVD playing device finally dies the BD will already be there and waiting.
True, but by then -- if indeed his HD DVD drive fails on him -- isn't it possible they will have re-released this on Blu-ray with lossless audio and with a lower list price? Therefore, the Blu-ray he is ordering now will be worthless. At least that is my understanding. And even if that doesn't happen I still don't see the point. He can enjoy the HD DVD now and buy the Blu-ray someday when its cheaper if the HD DVD drive fails on him. Or, for that matter, he could try and track down another HD DVD player.

Ah well. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Old 04-23-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? I almost bought the Complete Matrix but decided for Ultimate because there wasn't a listing for Complete Matrix on the red2blu site. Unless I hear confirmation from a WB source, I'm more comfortable forking over the extra $2.23.
Someone called, and was told they have a memo stating that. I'm not saying that is valid confirmation, but I suppose anyone could call and verify it if they wanted to hear it from WB themselves... Well, this way your HD-DVD set is worth more. If you were planning on flipping it anyway, then you were probably better off getting the Ultimate set...
Old 04-23-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has anyone called WB about whether Inetvideo bilingual covers (apparently with different UPCs than the normal US versions) will work for this deal?

I was hoping someone would call so that I don't have to, but maybe WB's home video customer service (I don't have the number handy) isn't as bad as I would expect from your average studio.
Old 04-23-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I haven't called them, but I seriously doubt WB will accept them.
Old 04-24-09, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion
True, but by then -- if indeed his HD DVD drive fails on him -- isn't it possible they will have re-released this on Blu-ray with lossless audio and with a lower list price? Therefore, the Blu-ray he is ordering now will be worthless. At least that is my understanding. And even if that doesn't happen I still don't see the point. He can enjoy the HD DVD now and buy the Blu-ray someday when its cheaper if the HD DVD drive fails on him. Or, for that matter, he could try and track down another HD DVD player.

Ah well. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
LOL, if my HD-DVD drive fails, the BD drive fails as well, as it's a single drive capable of playing both formats. I watch my BDs on my PC and do not have a fancy speaker setup. Even if I did, I doubt I would appreciate the difference in sound quality. However, as Subgeniusguy noted, I'll still have the HD-DVD disc if ever I do get an HDTV and nice home theater system (and there's still an HD-DVD player to be had). If not, and should I decide that the audio quality of my Happy Feet BD is not quite to my liking, I'll find and purchase the re-release with TrueHD if such a release has indeed been issued.

Originally Posted by Manzana
Has anyone called WB about whether Inetvideo bilingual covers (apparently with different UPCs than the normal US versions) will work for this deal?
Hmmm... didn't realize that was the case with iNetVideo's inventory. Here's hoping the discs either won't come that way, or WB will accept them!
Old 04-24-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All these prices people have been figuring out regarding the "upgrade", I don't see anyone adding the extra $6 for shipping to WB. And for those ordering something from Inetvideo just for the trade, you also have to pay an additional shipping charge.

I would imagine that after both shipping charges are added, the "trade" would (at best) be comparable to any sale fellow DVDTalkers might find in the near future.
Old 04-24-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by runner001
All these prices people have been figuring out regarding the "upgrade", I don't see anyone adding the extra $6 for shipping to WB. And for those ordering something from Inetvideo just for the trade, you also have to pay an additional shipping charge.

I would imagine that after both shipping charges are added, the "trade" would (at best) be comparable to any sale fellow DVDTalkers might find in the near future.
The flat 6.95 shipping cost has been mentioned several times. Obviously, if you're going for one or two blu's it raises the cost by a higher percent. If you're going after more plus box sets, such as I did, it's under a buck a film which is fine by me.
Old 04-24-09, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
I believe that they have already announced plans for a 300 Blu-ray double dip.
Well, I went ahead and "swapped" my HD DVDs of 300 and the Potters since you get to keep the HD discs and I'll just put the HDs in the Blu cases in an envelope. My PS3 has become the player of choice and I rarely turn on the HD DVD player anymore. Just recently it was fired up because my daughter wanted to watch Stardust. Damn fine film. Just wish it was on Blu and Paramount had a similar trade in program .
Old 04-24-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI - You just downgraded Happy Feet in terms of audio quality (HD had TrueHD BD had DD5.1).
How? You KEEP the HD DVD disc, and only send in the cover art. So after he gets his Blu version, he'll have both.
Old 04-24-09, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by runner001

I took all that into account when I ordered Ultimate Matrix and Casablanca. For most other movies it's not worth it, but for those two, it is.
Old 04-24-09, 11:34 AM
Cool New Member

I have both the complete and ultimate Matrix sets. When you do the upgrade, they ask you to return the sleeve from matrix revolutions. The ID on matrix revolutions is different on each set.
Old 04-24-09, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
How? You KEEP the HD DVD disc, and only send in the cover art. So after he gets his Blu version, he'll have both.
Yes - but why even bother at that point? If you have the TrueHD HD DVD why would you watch the DD5.1 Blu-ray unless your HD DVD player died?
Old 04-24-09, 12:27 PM
Cool New Member

I took all that into account when I ordered Ultimate Matrix and Casablanca. For most other movies it's not worth it, but for those two, it is.
I bought a whole bunch of titles too from inetvide, most are the ones that are covered under the red2blu program so I'm happy
Old 04-24-09, 12:30 PM

This guy took advantage and upgraded everything. Love the crap about not having the covers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/21-HD-DVD-Lot-Pl...QQcmdZViewItem

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.