Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - April '09

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - April '09

Old 04-08-09, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - April '09

Originally Posted by shawnek View Post
the number is not required to get your discount. As long as your membership is active, and your billing address hasn't changed, you could put in anything you want there and it will apply. Many people use "newmember" forever.
so you don't issue cards anymore?
Old 04-08-09, 10:21 PM

Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - April '09

I've confirmed that Moviestop's 40% off used anime is going to be going on til 4/20. My store apparently marked all the new copies of Darker Than Black Vol 2 as used (they were still factory sealed w/ stickers and all). Ended up being $5.50 after the sale and my 10% card discount.

Last edited by Bezerker; 04-08-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 10:31 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 269 Likes on 240 Posts

FRYS.com Update

Bandai Ent.
Broccoli
Geneon
Pathfinder
Old 04-09-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WTK View Post
Walmart.com
Mine Death Note 2 is shipped
Old 04-09-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12 View Post
Mine Death Note 2 is shipped
My copy shipped this morning as well and they did honor the $22.44 price.
Old 04-09-09, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by WTK View Post
It appears Tekkonkinkreet (DVD) can be had for the same price as well...
Argh my 2 local Big Lots aren't getting any of these great anime dvds. Not the xxxholic movie. Not the one piece movie. Not Memories. And not Tekkon.
Old 04-09-09, 10:16 AM

My Death Note 2 order has shipped as well. I am very happy that it went through.
Old 04-09-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for a 3rd confirmation, mine shipped this morning as well :-D

still nothing beats the Walmart $25 Samurai Champloo Complete Collection price mistake of many yrs ago...that receipt has been framed and is hanging in my bedroom :-D
Old 04-09-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14 View Post
for a 3rd confirmation, mine shipped this morning as well :-D

still nothing beats the Walmart $25 Samurai Champloo Complete Collection price mistake of many yrs ago...that receipt has been framed and is hanging in my bedroom :-D
I got Samurai Champloo for $25 as well somehow mine set still sealed. I already seen all the episodes
Old 04-09-09, 11:45 PM
WTK

Weekly Specials & Bargain Bin / Closeout Items Highlights from RightStuf.com

RightStuf.com Mega Update
Weekly Specials
Bargain Bin: DVD / Book / Others
Closeout Items
Movie Packs
Shawne's Deal of the Day

Highlights - Select Bargain Boxsets
Spoiler:

Highlights - Weekly Specials (Updates on Thursdays)
Old 04-10-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
Big Lots had a bunch of copies of Katsuhiro Otomo Presents: Memories for $3.
I can remember paying $150 for that movie on laserdisc.
Old 04-10-09, 08:38 PM
WTK

ANIMANIA / ANIME SPECTAULAR @ Select FYE/Suncoast (B&M / YMMV) - Sunday, April 19th
  • Everything Anime: Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off
  • Cosplay Contest
  • Trivia
  • Prizes
Old 04-10-09, 08:43 PM
WTK

VIZ PICTURES TEAMS WITH TRANS WORLD ENTERTAINMENT TO PROMOTE THE LIVE ACTION FEATURE FILM DEATH NOTE: L, change the WorLd

F.Y.E. And SUNCOAST Customers Who Purchase Any DEATH NOTE Related Item Will Receive A Free Ticket To Attend Screening On April 30th

San Francisco, CA, APRIL 10, 2009 VIZ Pictures, an affiliate of VIZ Media, LLC that focuses on Japanese live-action film distribution, has partnered with Trans World Entertainment (TWE) to sponsor a special retail ticket giveaway campaign at participating F.Y.E. and SUNCOAST stores nationwide in support of the U.S. theatrical premiere of DEATH NOTE: L, change the WorLd. VIZ Pictures and NCM Fathom will present this live-action film, in a two-night, multi-city event taking place on April 29th and 30th.

For a limited time, beginning April 13th, F.Y.E. and SUNCOAST customers who purchase any DEATH NOTE DVD or DEATH NOTE related merchandise (in-store only) will receive a free ticket to attend the English-dubbed screening on April 30th., while supplies last. Trans World Entertainment Corporation is one of the largest specialty music and video retailers in the United States and operates more than 700 F.Y.E. and Suncoast stores nationwide. For store locations please visit www.fye.com or Suncoast.com...

For a complete list of theatre locations and prices, please visit www.FathomEvents.com (theatres are subject to change)...
Old 04-10-09, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bezerker View Post
I've confirmed that Moviestop's 40% off used anime is going to be going on til 4/20. My store apparently marked all the new copies of Darker Than Black Vol 2 as used (they were still factory sealed w/ stickers and all). Ended up being $5.50 after the sale and my 10% card discount.
Not Bad. I just picked Fruits Basket Thinpak for just under $10.00.....I sure love moviestop.
Old 04-10-09, 09:20 PM

Bargain Bin with TRSI
[*]Fushigi Yugi DVD Box Set 1 (Hyb): Suzaku (Episodes 1-26): $79.99, Qty: 96

On Amazon with Shawnek
[*]Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play: Box Set 1 - Suzaku (ep. 1-26) (1998): $32.50, Qty: 2

Seriously, there are some thing sold with them on Amazon that is cheaper than the bargain bin even with the shipping costs. Even some volumes no longer listed in the bargain are sometimes still on Amazon and vice versa of course.
Old 04-10-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 281 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mordaane View Post
Not Bad. I just picked Fruits Basket Thinpak for just under $10.00.....I sure love moviestop.
Moviestops are far and few between. They don't have a website and are almost impossible to find. I know there is one somewhere not too far away from me in MA, I'm just not sure where.
Old 04-10-09, 10:10 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by mordaane View Post
Seriously, there are some thing sold with them on Amazon that is cheaper than the bargain bin even with the shipping costs. Even some volumes no longer listed in the bargain are sometimes still on Amazon and vice versa of course.
It's a different form of selling products. Not everyone shops @ TRSI. Sometimes auctions sites (Amazon.com Marketplace, Half.com, eBay,...) may attract more customers. Certain things are priced that way due to other listings/competitions. That's why you would keep your eyes peeled and which yields more savings.
Old 04-10-09, 10:11 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Moviestops are far and few between. They don't have a website and are almost impossible to find. I know there is one somewhere not too far away from me in MA, I'm just not sure where.
A store list can be found here. It was from summer '08, so I don't know if there are any changes.
Old 04-11-09, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Anono View Post
Argh my 2 local Big Lots aren't getting any of these great anime dvds. Not the xxxholic movie. Not the one piece movie. Not Memories. And not Tekkon.

Same here! my Big Lots never have these. I even went way out of town to shop at one i don't usually go to! Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Old 04-12-09, 05:47 PM

I remember asking this before, but I don't think I got a satisfactory response. Which Neon Genesis Evangelion set is the best to get? Platinum thinpak, platinum tin, holiday set, or platinum singles w/ artbox.
Old 04-12-09, 08:10 PM
WTK

BestBuy.com / Best Buy (B&M Pick-up)
Old 04-12-09, 08:16 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Tenkyoken View Post
I remember asking this before, but I don't think I got a satisfactory response. Which Neon Genesis Evangelion set is the best to get? Platinum thinpak, platinum tin, holiday set, or platinum singles w/ artbox.
What's your criteria? What are you looking for? How are we able to know what you want especially I remember this question been asked earlier this year (answered by more than one poster).

Are on-disc extras important? Are physical extras important? Is the artwork important? Is the overall pricing the most important criteria?
  • Platinum thinpak - may be on the cheaper side, no extras.
  • Platinum tin - metal tin box (not much in terms of artwork on tin) with thinpaks inside, on-disc extras are included.
  • Holiday set - brick collection with all on-disc extras
  • Platinum singles w/artbox - all physical/on-disc extras are included.
Old 04-12-09, 08:44 PM

You sound a tad offended, I didn't want to come across like that. In any case, the extras are the most important part. When you say physical extras, are there inserts included with the singles? I can get the platinum tin for about $45 and I wanted to know if there was any tangible difference between the tin, thinpak, and holiday brick. It seems for the best the value, I should go with the singles w/ artbox.
Old 04-12-09, 08:55 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Tenkyoken View Post
You sound a tad offended, I didn't want to come across like that. In any case, the extras are the most important part. When you say physical extras, are there inserts included with the singles? I can get the platinum tin for about $45 and I wanted to know if there was any tangible difference between the tin, thinpak, and holiday brick. It seems for the best the value, I should go with the singles w/ artbox.
FWIW, I'm not offended. And by physical extras (for the platinum singles), I meant stuff like singles slipcovers and the 12-page profile booklets. If you're interested in those, I would get the platinum singles. If you just want the on-disc extras, you can get either the tin collection or the holiday edition. I wouldn't get the platinum thinpak if you are interested in extras.
Old 04-12-09, 09:21 PM

On disc 7 of the singles, there are 2 director's cut episodes. Are these any different on any other sets? I know they condensed the 7 singles into 6 thinpaks, and turned the last 2 into movies I think. The movies aren't included on any other set are they?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.