DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Where's the cheapest place to buy movies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/552461-wheres-cheapest-place-buy-movies.html)

mikehende 03-29-09 05:39 PM

Where's the cheapest place to buy movies?

I am not a movie buff or collector, I am looking around for cheap movies just to have around so if there's nothing good on the tube on a Sunday evening then I can look at a movie so I don't need new dvd's, just movies on either vhs or dvd that shows good. I tried ebay but after shipping it's not economical for me, any links/ideas please?

Blu Man 03-29-09 06:12 PM

Re: Where's the cheapest place to buy movies?

On average, Amazon is as good as it gets. But if your not willing to pay a resonable price for a movie then your out of luck.

melih69 03-29-09 06:20 PM

...And this is a deal !!!! How ?

Trevor 03-29-09 06:23 PM

Big Lots has tons of $3 DVDs.

Pawn shops and used video stores are a good source.

The cheapest way to get new DVDs is generally the Columbia House DVD club. You can own virtually every DVD for less than $5 average if you cycle accounts. Don't ask questions about that here. Go to the Clubs subforum here and read the FAQ threads.

Pizza 03-29-09 06:34 PM

China.

gglass4269 03-29-09 07:07 PM

BIG LOTS is the # 1 spot I know of to get cheap movies. Try there first. Amazon's marketplace is also a great way to get dvds cheap. ALso, try Walmarts $5 bins. They have pretty recent films in there.

DeepSleep 03-29-09 07:40 PM

The 99 cents only store has VHS movies for 59 cents each. (I think they might even be 2 for 99 cents now?) They are brand new. I walked by an endcap of VHS so fast I really was not paying attention. They had Men in Black, Urban Legend, etc.

Geauxn 03-29-09 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mikehende (Post 9356542)
I am not a movie buff or collector, I am looking around for cheap movies just to have around so if there's nothing good on the tube on a Sunday evening then I can look at a movie so I don't need new dvd's, just movies on either vhs or dvd that shows good. I tried ebay but after shipping it's not economical for me, any links/ideas please?

I'd recommend buying used DVDs. I buy most of my DVDs and Blurays from CD Warehouse. We have 2 in my area and newer DVDs are usually $14 still sealed and newer Blurays are $16 usually still sealed as well. They sell everything as used. Olders DVDs are usually $5-$10.

darkhawk 03-29-09 08:00 PM

A pawn shop

Trevor 03-29-09 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Superman\S/ (Post 9356833)
if you dont have hardcore o.c.d about dvds like most of the people on here, including myself, then i would suggest just downloading the movies you want and getting yourself a decent program to convert them to dvd format.

I know you're talking legal downloads. Those are generally more expensive then the $3-$5 we've been talking about.

oldchuckles 03-29-09 10:31 PM

I get most of my good DVDs at Ross for Less at $3.99 each. Also, since I am an old retiree, every Tuesday there is an additional 10% off for Senior Day (folks 55 and older) in store-wide shopping at Ross!

BKenn01 03-29-09 11:43 PM

Sounds like you need a Netflix subscription. If you watch a lot of movies, its the best bet.

jgorow 03-30-09 12:20 AM

my favorite places to buy used movies have allways been the pawn shops. you can usually find movies for less than $5 each. dont count on box sets though, it has been my experience that when they get box sets, they mark them extremely high, usually at least $20 each.

MooMooMooMoo 03-30-09 01:03 AM

My vote is Big Lots & Pawn Shops. These days, you shouldn't have to pay more then $3 in a Pawn Shop other then box sets.

izatright 03-30-09 01:07 AM

I used to shop almost exclusively at pawn shops for used dvds. In my area they were anywhere from $.50 (old/classic or obscure titles, and sometimes the worthless $1 titles from walmart) to $8 (commercial new releases). The average price was 4 for $10. God, I miss those times.

hindolio 03-30-09 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 9356603)
China.

meh, shipping kills the deals.

JoeySeven 03-30-09 03:56 AM

For free

The Library(the one in my city has everything from new releases to great classics to some hard to find foreign movies)

Redbox on Mondays and Wesnesday(free promo code)

To buy(cheapest)
Pawnshops,used game stores etc..($2 to $4 each)
Maybe Biglots,but they closed down the one in my town.. :-(

darkhawk 03-30-09 04:05 AM

Check out Garage Sales as well

TGM 03-30-09 05:52 AM

www.secondspin.com especially when they have their 20% + free shipping sales.

mikehende 03-30-09 09:52 AM

Thanks to all of you for your advice, I will look into all of them.

ilovedealsbaby 03-30-09 10:09 AM

buy lots of stuff on ebay u can get cheap stuff my friend got 100 vhs shiped for like 20$ but who still watch vhs

dvds you can get cheap all over the place now walmart 5$ box sets 14$ in canada im sure usa does the same like the wire 6 feet under 14$

SoSpacey 03-30-09 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9357197)
www.secondspin.com especially when they have their 20% + free shipping sales.

every time i hear someone mention this site I check them out and consistently their prices are almost what you pay new, including the 20% off. their Blu-ray selection has sometimes been above amazon pricing.

MrE 03-30-09 10:54 AM

If you've a disciplined buyer, check the DVD Clubs thread, too. The intro offers and some of the sale codes are a great way to get cheap-er new DVDs.

Cheato 03-30-09 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey (Post 9357472)
every time i hear someone mention this site I check them out and consistently their prices are almost what you pay new, including the 20% off. their Blu-ray selection has sometimes been above amazon pricing.

Then you're checking out the wrong stuff, and having the wrong expectations. Read the thread about the last sale and look at all the $2-$5 DVDs that people bought. You won't find them for the same prices new. Believe me, I'm the cheapest bastard you'll meet when it comes to DVDs. I buy almost everything through Columbia House for $5 on average. I won't buy a season set unless I can get it for $15 or less (with exceptions for seasons that are longer than usual). And every time there's a SS sale, I wind up spending about $100.

SS prices on supply and demand. Supply goes up, prices go down. You want the latest hottest stuff, of course the prices won't be low. You want some out-of-print, hard-to-find title? Again, the prices won't be low. You want something that has a lot of copies out there and you just don't want to pay the $10 price for it new? Get it from SS for $3 or less.

toldawg128 03-30-09 12:49 PM

People here have mentioned some good ones.

-Columbia House is the cheapest way to get newer releases (except for some studios like Disney)
-Big Lots (limited selection but very cheap prices)
-Secondspin.com (when they do 20% off + free shipping)
-Pawn shops

I also like to rent movies at the library like JoeySeven. It's free, and sometimes I've been able to rent newer releases. It's also a great way to watch movies that seem to never go cheap like classics and criterions.