Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

Old 04-18-09, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

Went to Borders on Tuesday and it was 40% up the Criterions: Gate of Flesh, Jigoku, Sword of Doom, and Vampyr.

Was kind of annoyed when a couple days later it was 50% off, but went back for more Criterions: Missing, Tout va Bien, Murmers of the Heart, and Fallen Idol. Also picked up the Jodorowsky box set and Kino's Nosferatu.

There's a pretty good deal on the MASH boxset, though I may wait and see if there's a 60% off coming.
Old 04-18-09, 02:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 508 Likes on 338 Posts

I've asked the mods, but maybe somebody else will have better luck.

Can we change the thread title so that people know this is not just for one location please?
Old 04-18-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was at the Nashua, NH location today. It was 50% off red tagged DVDs and all CDs. Unfortunately, the selection was pretty minimal and I've gotten more picky lately so I didn't have much luck. If anyone is looking for the Genesis 1970-75 CD/DVD combo, it is there at half off ($70).
Old 04-18-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

just got back from our border's in northern Michigan and only a handful of criterion's were red-stickered for 50% off....i had a gc from my birthday and wanted to get a couple. pretty disappointing actually. many i've seen mentioned here were in stock but still full price. hopefully that will change when they up the discount.
Old 04-18-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

At 50%, I finally picked up some stuff, including filling in a few holes in my Miles Davis collection:

Miles - Seven Steps to Heaven $6
Miles - ESP $6
Miles - In A Silent Way $6
Miles - Jack Johnson $6
Bowie - Live in Santa Monica $9
Pogues - Ultimate Collection $12
Best of VeggieTales cd - $6

And I also picked up 2 VeggieTales DVDs for my son at $7 apiece.
Old 04-18-09, 11:33 PM

Went out hoping to find the Jodorowsky box set and Thief of Bagdad Criterion, but no dice. Got a lot of other cool stuff, though.

Killer of Sheep
Lynch (David Lynch doc)
Icons of Adventure (four Hammer films)
DC Super Heroes Filmation set
Masculin Feminin (Criterion)
Naked City (Criterion)
Infernal Affairs box set
Liza with a Z (a Bob Fosse project)
Dig Lazarus Dig! Nick Cave & Bad Seeds CD

Passed up quite a few other Criterions. Even at 50%, they still add up...!
Old 04-19-09, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
just got back from our border's in northern Michigan and only a handful of criterion's were red-stickered for 50% off....i had a gc from my birthday and wanted to get a couple. pretty disappointing actually. many i've seen mentioned here were in stock but still full price. hopefully that will change when they up the discount.
Even if the titles you're interested in don't have a red sticker you should ask them to do a price check to see if they come up as discounted. The discount will automatically come up when the item is scanned, it's not something they have to do manually. I bought several criterions at 50% off that didn't have the red sticker.
Old 04-19-09, 07:18 PM

I do not know if they are going to get beyond 50%, kinda like what Rammsteinfan said that the 50% sale is going so well, might not get above that.

This is what I saw at one store which had all CD/DVD on sale, that they are really cleaning out. They already rearranged 5 panels along the wall that used to have Kids and Fitness DVDs to now be Travel. Also I have overheard twice while there today they may be shipping back soon. Once a supervisor, I am guessing, told a staffing member trying to rearrange and look for a DVD, to "not spend a bunch of time looking for it as they are just going to box them all up soon." Also a customer was looking at the locked up Blu-Rays and told his wife that they were looking at shipping them all off soon and, verified with the staff member present there at the time, about the store getting rid of the DVDs. The staff member said they would only carry new releases and Top 25.

Now the interesting thing will be what will happen at the red-stickered stores if they will up the percentage rather or ship back. Would think that the red-sticker stores want to "liquidate" rather than sort out the red-stickers and ship them out verses just pick all of it up. May just be wishful thinking.

P.S. Another store I went to that was all on sale still seemed pretty full on Friday night but the store I went to on Sunday really was going down, except Blu-Ray - probably in half stock now DVDs and 25% stock CDs.

Last edited by forumsmy; 04-19-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was at the Mason, OH location and they still had most of their foreign titles but nothing that really picked my interest
Old 04-19-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Atlanta Update (updated)
  • Ponce de Leon: 50% off, but red tag only.
  • Brookwood: 50% off all, but slim pickings, overall. They've been doing the 50% off sale for several weeks.*
  • Buckhead: 50% off, but red tag only.

* I did get the OOP Charmed Limited Edition Deluxe set for $156.59 total, a very nice find considering it goes for upwards of $325 on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.

In addition, I've picked up four Rammstein CDs and one Jimmy Buffett CD at good prices.
Old 04-19-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDude! View Post
Atlanta Update (updated)

In addition, I've picked up four Rammstein CDs and one Jimmy Buffett CD at good prices.
Good choice of cd's
Old 04-19-09, 11:43 PM

the one in arlington, tx has the sale. picked up a couple of blu-rays...
oldboy for 17.49 & ronin for 19.99..
still not very cheap, but haven't seen these around for anything less
Old 04-20-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To elaborate on that: the Arlington location is the one with the most Blu-ray titles included in this sale of all the locations on the west side of the Metroplex. The Colleyville and Ft. Worth locations are using red stickers to denote which titles are 50% off (fewer than ten titles at the FW location and maybe thrice that in Colleyville), while the Arlington store has all of the Blu-ray stock on the shelves on sale and only the green stickered new releases are exempt. All of the Criterion Blu-ray titles are gone from the Arlington location, natch, but there are still some good box set deals to be had. Each location had a copy of the OOP Ran in stock, which surprised me.
Old 04-20-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everything (including Blu-Ray) at the 4th Street Live Borders in Louisville, KY is on sale. The only exceptions are new releases within the last month or two and some bestsellers.
Old 04-20-09, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
Everything (including Blu-Ray) at the 4th Street Live Borders in Louisville, KY is on sale. The only exceptions are new releases within the last month or two and some bestsellers.
What was the % off here? It's the only Louisville Borders I haven't been to during this sale so far. Last I checked Shelbyville Road and Hurstbourne were both 40% off selected DVDs and all CDs and Bardstown Road was still at 50% off all DVDs with no CDs in stock at all. Bardstown Road was pretty wiped out though. I actually haven't spent much time downtown (I only moved here a few months ago) but I may head there if the deals are good enough. Is there reasonable parking nearby?
Old 04-20-09, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVDude! View Post
Atlanta Update (updated)
  • Ponce de Leon: 50% off, but red tag only.
  • Brookwood: 50% off all, but slim pickings, overall. They've been doing the 50% off sale for several weeks.*
  • Buckhead: 50% off, but red tag only.
Thanks for the updates. I was in Brookwood late last week and the selection had definitely dwindled dramatically. This clearance has been quite good to me, though it seems its best days are over. I think I'm out unless I get wind of >50% off somewhere in the ATL.
Old 04-21-09, 12:31 AM

For those in DFW, Mesquite (across from Town East) and Preston/Park have all their stock at 50% including the Blu-Rays, which on Sunday was pretty decent at Preston/Park, which had 2 full locked cases of Blu-Rays. One guy got about 8 or 9 when I was there.
Old 04-21-09, 10:25 AM

From the way the Borders Rewards email looked today, every store is at 50% now.
Old 04-21-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtopher View Post
From the way the Borders Rewards email looked today, every store is at 50% now.
Yes, I believe you are correct. However, it's still store-specific as to whether it's "entire stock" or "select tiles".
Old 04-21-09, 04:16 PM

Hit two other Borders stores today. The first was "select titles", and the second was "entire stock". From the first, I only found "Busby Berkeley Vol. 2". But the second had just way too much great stuff. I bought:

Jodorowsky set (been looking for this! )
Amarcord (Criterion)
Mishima (Criterion)
White Dog (Criterion)
Thief of Bagdad (Criterion)
Imitation of Life (two-movie SE)
Berlin Alexanderplatz (Criterion)

That last one, Berlin Alexanderplatz, was a crazy bout of sight-unseen purchasing. I sure hope it's worth it!! (The "Z Channel" doc clips made it look interesting...)
Old 04-22-09, 08:25 AM

Yeah, in Kansas City the cds were all 50% off, but only about 1/4 of the dvds were on sale. Disappointing.

And it looked like they pulled half of their cd collection before the sale. Still found a couple, but eh.
Old 04-23-09, 12:06 PM

Borders in south Indianapolis had a sign posted that 50% off included box sets and blu-rays - guess they were tired of people asking. They still had a decent selection of blu-rays and about a third of what they used to have in dvd. Picked up the Dirty Harry blu-ray collection for $65.
Old 04-23-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just at the Troy, MI Borders here. Still a decent amount of Blu-rays left. I almost wanted to get First Blood for $10. Some prices, like Firefly or the Pirates trilogy for $45 still seems a bit too much.
Old 04-23-09, 01:06 PM

does anyone know if the discount will be going above 50%?
Old 04-23-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no no one knows yet

I got 2 dvds, race with the devil and spider baby in a NJ borders. It was a red sticker sale though so only select dvds were on sale. I did a price check on a few I wanted that weren't sticker-ed and they weren't on sale unfortunately. I don't see the point much, why not just put it all 50 percent off? It would save the time of putting stickers on select ones and would generate more sales.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.