Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

Old 04-08-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 297 Likes on 248 Posts
Re: Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan View Post
Just went back again today and picked up two more titles for $14.99 (Madagascar & Cloverfield) and the lady that I have been dealing with off adn on there over a week now said that she did hear it would probably go to 70 or 75% within the next week or two
I need to hurry up and check out that Union City store.

My girlfriend wants the Jeeves and Wooster Collection and we have $10 in Borders Bucks to burn
Old 04-08-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I need to hurry up and check out that Union City store.

My girlfriend wants the Jeeves and Wooster Collection and we have $10 in Borders Bucks to burn
They arent going through a lot of discs at the moment and there is still a large stock except for the 10-15 BD's i've taken off their hands. Still a ton of DVD"s and DVD box sets available. Just check their website to see if the set you need is "likely in store" before going there unless you plan to just browse around. I still hate that they lock up all their discs and i have to bug someone to get it opened for me while i look through them all.
Old 04-08-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They arent going through a lot of discs at the moment and there is still a large stock except for the 10-15 BD's i've taken off their hands. Still a ton of DVD"s and DVD box sets available. Just check their website to see if the set you need is "likely in store" before going there unless you plan to just browse around. I still hate that they lock up all their discs and i have to bug someone to get it opened for me while i look through them all.
Probably won't get a chance to go until next weekend, since it's about an hour away from where I am. Usually I pass by the store because it's on the way to my girlfriend's place.

Did you happen to see "The Devil's Rejects" on Blu-Ray at Union City? I used to be an Inventory Supervisor at Borders, so I know not to trust inventory at other stores too much

Also as I said in other threads, if management is going to lock items up in cases, be prepared to do your job (not bugged)
Old 04-08-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably won't get a chance to go until next weekend, since it's about an hour away from where I am. Usually I pass by the store because it's on the way to my girlfriend's place.

Did you happen to see "The Devil's Rejects" on Blu-Ray at Union City? I used to be an Inventory Supervisor at Borders, so I know not to trust inventory at other stores too much

Also as I said in other threads, if management is going to lock items up in cases, be prepared to do your job (not bugged)

I believe I saw it there but dont know the price. I jsut bought Devils Rejects on BD last week at Walmart.com for $9.95 and had it shipped to the store nearest to me. Thats probably your best bet. The quality is Wish it had the documentary though, that is missing which was on the 2 disc dvd.
Old 04-08-09, 07:35 PM

Update on a few Atlanta stores:
Brookwood Place is still at 50% off all DVDs and BDs (except new releases) and still has a decent selection;
Dunwoody has already gotten rid of all their DVDs and BDs (except new releases)... just empty shelves now;
East Cobb is still at 40% off of select titles (red sticker system).

Last edited by DVD Guy ATL; 04-08-09 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL View Post
Update on a few Atlanta stores:
Brookwood Place is still at 50% off all DVDs and BDs (except new releases) and still has a decent selection;
Dunwoody has already gotten rid of all their DVDs and BDs (except new releases)... just empty shelves now;
East Cobb is still at 40% off of select titles (red sticker system).
thank you for posting this
Old 04-10-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Vegas:

Charleston & 215: Still 40% off titles with the red sticker, which is about 85% of the inventory.

Sahara & Decatur: Still 50% off titles. The inventory looked exactly the same as it did last weekend.
Old 04-10-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Went there today and they had one copy on the back side of the blu-ray cabinet. Dont know the price though. FRYS has Devils Rejects for $9.99 this week so ifyou can get to frys today or tomorrow you may be able to get it for $10.
Old 04-15-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Went there today and they had one copy on the back side of the blu-ray cabinet. Dont know the price though. FRYS has Devils Rejects for $9.99 this week so ifyou can get to frys today or tomorrow you may be able to get it for $10.
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get out to Union City last night and didn't see a copy of the film. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

Also it's worth mentioning that Milpitas Borders (McCarthy Ranch) is now at 50% off.

I was able to pick up yesterday at that particular store:

Nightbreed- $5
Jeeves and Wooster Complete Collection- $30 (after $10 Borders bucks)

My girlfriend was psyched that I got her Jeeves and Wooster at that price
Old 04-15-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone found a store at 75% off? I've got my eye on several things at my store, but luckily no one else likes what I like, so I can wait to buy at the minimum.
Old 04-15-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get out to Union City last night and didn't see a copy of the film. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

Also it's worth mentioning that Milpitas Borders (McCarthy Ranch) is now at 50% off.

I was able to pick up yesterday at that particular store:

Nightbreed- $5
Jeeves and Wooster Complete Collection- $30 (after $10 Borders bucks)

My girlfriend was psyched that I got her Jeeves and Wooster at that price
Sweet! Glad you got some of what you wanted. I was there over the weekend and picked up a few more blu's for $14.99. They said that they have the 75% off signs but not sure if they will use it since the 50% off sale is going so well. Hope it hits 75% off soon since i stil lhave about 10 more titles i want that they had as of Saturday priced at $39.99!
Old 04-15-09, 09:04 PM

The East Cobb store in Atlanta will be going to 50% off the stickered items on Friday (per a helpful employee).
Old 04-16-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet! Glad you got some of what you wanted. I was there over the weekend and picked up a few more blu's for $14.99. They said that they have the 75% off signs but not sure if they will use it since the 50% off sale is going so well. Hope it hits 75% off soon since i stil lhave about 10 more titles i want that they had as of Saturday priced at $39.99!
I'll try to keep my eye out on both stores to see if the discount increases. There is a lot of stuff there I'd pick up in the 60-70% off range
Old 04-16-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went by the Yorba Linda-Orange County store-cds,bds,dvds all at 50% off. Hard to believe even at that discount that so much was left but internet savy consumers are probally more abundant in that location-certainly would need to be atleast 70% for me to get excited. I found an out of print copy of The Big Blue so happy I stopped in.
Asked a helpful employee why everything being sold and he said it was not profitable.
Old 04-16-09, 11:22 PM

I'm not sure if this has been asked but does anyone know if they will keep raising the discount like CC did when they went out of business? The Borders in my town is still at 40% so I'm waiting to see if they go up to 50% and higher.
Old 04-17-09, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got this email:

*CD and DVD clearance not valid at the following Borders stores. Arizona: Tucson (E. Broadway); California: Mira Loma; San Diego (Mission Valley); San Francisco (Stonestown); San Francisco (Union Square); San Rafael; Sand City; Connecticut: Stamford; Delaware: Newark; Florida: Miami (S. Dixie Hwy.); Hawaii: Honolulu; Maui; Kentucky: Louisville (Gardiner Lane); Illinois: Chicago (Michigan Ave.); Chicago (State St.); Oak Brook; Maine: South Portland; Maryland: Annapolis; Massachusetts: Boston (School St.); Michigan: Beverly Hills; Nevada: Las Vegas (S. Decatur); New York: Manhattan (Columbus Circle); Manhattan (Park Ave.); Manhattan (Penn Plaza); Manhattan (Wall Street); Oregon: Tigard; Pennsylvania: Philadelphia (Chestnut Hill); Washington, D.C. (L St.); and Puerto Rico: Hato Rey.
Old 04-17-09, 10:40 AM

Just got this e-mail too, for the St. Louis area.
Old 04-17-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess its time to hit my store again.
Old 04-17-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been hen-pecking some miscellaneous $29.99-list Criterions at 50%

The Borders near my house has been at 50% for a few weeks now. They ditched most of their CDs to other stores. They're down to two of those small table racks and half a regular rack of kid/teen CDs. DVDs and Blu-rays are still plentiful.

The one a couple buildings down from my office is one of those red tag stores. They just went 50% this morning.

Is there any rhyme or reason to red tagging?

At first I thought it might have something to do with release date. Le Doulos is not tagged but right next to it, Le Deuxiéme Souffle was.
Old 04-17-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally in my area 50% off at Borders I just bought for $135.00

Ace in the hole - criterion
Brute Force - criterion
The Small Back Room- criterion
Bad Day At Black Rock
Fox Horror Classics Collection, Vol. 2 (Dragonwyck / Chandu the Magician / Dr. Renault's Secret)
Barbara Stanwyck - The Signature Collection (Annie Oakley / East Side, West Side / My Reputation / Executive Suite / Jeopardy / To Please a Lady)
The Val Lewton Horror Collection with Martin Scorsese Presents Val Lewton Documentary (Cat People / The Curse of the Cat People / I Walked with a Zombie ... / The Seventh Victim / Shadows in the Dark)
Old 04-17-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adboy151 View Post
Is there any rhyme or reason to red tagging?

At first I thought it might have something to do with release date. Le Doulos is not tagged but right next to it, Le Deuxiéme Souffle was.
The store I work at is one of the few Borders stores not putting their DVD's out on clearance.

If I had to guess, stores that are doing red tag clearance are stores that either don't have much DVD stock to begin with or are given lists of slow sellers (overall) that are to be marked on sale.
Old 04-17-09, 10:57 PM

Once the sale hit 50% off locally I bit the bullet and picked up some Criterions I've wanted for a while:
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Gimme Shelter
Grey Gardens/The Beales of Grey Gardens
Essential Art House Vol. 1
Ingmar Bergman Trilogy (Through A Glass Darkly/Winter Light/The Silence)
Old 04-17-09, 11:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My Borders didn't have a lot of titles I wanted so it would be nice to see more items marked with red tags and the discount go to 60% off to get me to bite.

Anyone know how serious they are to dump this stock? At 50% they are close to or maybe a touch better then some of the better Amazon and DD sales. At 60+% they would be any easy buy.
Old 04-18-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went in today and there was a man blocking the foreign section, slowly going over every title and picking out the Criterions (he had a basket with fourteen or fifteen DVDs in it.) Fortunately the whole DVD section is a bit of a wreck right now, and I was able to look in various other sections and picked up five titles that were on my wishlist all for a few dollars cheaper than they would be during the DeepDiscount/DVD Planet sale.

Band of Outsiders
High and Low
Masculin/Feminin
Naked
The Thief of Baghdad

I was strongly considering "Brute Force", "Vengeance is Mine" and "Videodrome" but ended up leaving them there. They had quite a few non-Criterion titles that I was considering, but I decided I'd wait and see if they increased the discount just a little bit more.

Last edited by Sondheim; 04-18-09 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-18-09, 03:16 AM

50% off Criterion and esoteric films sounds good but does it make sense to do a "blind buy" at half off?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.