Reload this Page >

Hastings 2 Day Sale - Buy 2 Get 1 for $1 on All Used

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 03-13-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hastings is having a big buy 2 get 1 for $1 sale Friday and Saturday. THe ad says all used so this includes video games, cds, and books.

Note: YMMV if the sale includes dvd boxsets. My local Hastings have been real turds about these sales claiming that boxsets are excluded. I don't see how they can do that when the sign clearly says "ALL USED"
Old 03-13-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Hastings 2 Day Sale - Buy 2 Get 1 for $1 on All Used

I agree on the box set thing. The ads have never excluded Box Set's from inclusion which makes it a big given to me that Hastings means to include them. Plus they have the signs in their box set isle every time... but every once in a while someone makes a big deal out of it like it is ripping them off or something. It's ridiculous how some of their employee's can act towards customers on occasion. With my experience, however, sometimes they can also be really nice: opposite ends of the spectrum. In any case, their box sets used are often more money than they are new elsewhere so you have to really look around to find a good deal on something. It's worth it though if you can.
Old 03-13-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My local Hastings has had buy 1 get 1 for $1 for a month or longer and now they switched to the Buy 2 get 1 for $1. I made a killing on alot of older stuff they pulled and priced at $3.99, I got over 50 DVDs a few weeks ago for cheap
Old 03-13-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where is Hastings located? I've never heard of them....
Old 03-13-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My local Hastings was doing the Buy 1 Get 1 for a $1 too. I'm not sure when that ended. I think I will wait this sale out for a better deal.
Old 03-13-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Torchur317 View Post
Where is Hastings located? I've never heard of them....
http://gohastings.findlocation.com/
Old 03-14-09, 07:47 AM

This is awesome that it says all. They always have B2G1 for a penny on DVDs, but they never include Blu-ray. If they are including Blu-ray, I might have to check it out.
Old 03-14-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no blu ray included.
Old 03-15-09, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by kevin75 View Post
no blu ray included.
Yeah, I went to my Hastings and they had the same "sale" that they always have -- DVDs only.
Old 03-15-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by obidawsn View Post
Yeah, I went to my Hastings and they had the same "sale" that they always have -- DVDs only.
Which is total BS when the ad claims ALL USED. So if a sticker has used on it, it qualifies. I think they should be charged with false advertising. Most of their dvds are horrible prices. I saw a used beat up copy of Deadwood for $50 bucks lol
Old 03-16-09, 11:10 PM

I'm sad to say my local Hastings is totally picked clean of bargain DVDs. Their prices on previous rental copies has gone up to $14.99 for newer stuff, which is totally ridiculous, even during the B2G1 sales. I wouldn't even think about buying a used DVD for $3-4 less than new price unless it was still in the wrapper. I ended up buying a few catalog titles for less than $5 apiece. My local store is not what it used to be, which was an alternative resource for a wide variety of movies that Best Buy and other retailers couldn't match.
Old 03-17-09, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 View Post
Which is total BS when the ad claims ALL USED. So if a sticker has used on it, it qualifies. I think they should be charged with false advertising. Most of their dvds are horrible prices. I saw a used beat up copy of Deadwood for $50 bucks lol
But the sale doesn't state "All Used". It says "All Used DVDs", at least at my store. That's used because some sales make the distinction between rental copies and those that people trade in. They used to have sales just for the rentals, and it was confusing for some people. But when they say "All Used DVDs" that means any of them should work. Now since a Blu-ray isn't technically a DVD, you can't get them for false information, especially since they clear that up by saying "Excludes Blu-ray". And you definitely couldn't get by saying video games should be included, because they aren't DVDs.

As for their prices, I agree. I used to buy used from them all the time. But now they're getting to be Blockbuster prices. I think the individual stores had price control at one point, but now it seems that corporate took over. I know they used to have clearance products below cost at my store, and I even found a used N64 game for $9.99 that had just come out and wasn't even played (notice that had to be several years ago to be N64, but still that shows how pricing was at my store). I think there was a lot of money loss through either abusive pricing or ignorant pricing and corporate took over pricing. The same thing happened to Blockbuster years ago. My store never sold anything over $9.99, even though other Blockbusters would be $16.99 or higher (at least in the VHS days). Then they lost control of pricing and they haven't been cheap since. These companies are still in the VHS days of pricing. It actually makes sense to charge $14.99 or $16.99 for a used movie when the movie isn't available anywhere else. When VHS was rental only (for the most part), being able to buy a used copy a month after the rental date (and several months before sale date) made it worth $14.99 at times. But since DVDs aren't released at rental pricing and many times you can get the movies for around $14.99 the first week, anyway, why buy a used copy at that price? And even if it isn't $14.99 the first week, they usually come down from the $19.99 price eventually, and sometimes fairly quickly. I can't really blame the individual stores, though, since I believe their pricing is now controlled by corporate (I'm not sure about locally owned Blockbusters, though). It's just that corporate doesn't get the pricing and what consumers want. I used to buy from Hasting's all the time, and getting me a gift card from there was a safe bet. But I got one this past Christmas and I haven't even touched it. Though, granted, some of that is due to the fact that I've moved onto Blu-ray, and the limited quantity and high prices of used Blu-ray at Hasting's deters me. If I were still buying DVD, I might have already purchased something. I've seen them do a B1G1 sale on DVDs, which would have been good, but nothing on Blu-ray. I do need a new media shelf, though, so maybe I'll just use it on that. Though I was hoping to use it on some Blu-rays or maybe a Wii game, but even their video game pricing is ridiculous (much like GameStop only taking off $5 from the new copy).
Old 03-17-09, 03:34 AM

I kinda miss having a Hastings. I used to go to the one in Cape Giraradeau, MO back when I lived in Carbondale. But the nearest to me now is 200 + miles away.
Old 03-17-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm currently really annoyed with hastings. They sell a lot of their used stock on amazon.com and I purchased the criterion of "The Silence of the Lambs" from them a couple weeks ago and they sent me the correct box, but the MGM (bare bones) printing of the movie.

I've been emailing them back and forth for a couple weeks and they've sent me a replacement DVD which ended up being the special edition MGM printing.