Reload this Page >

Amazon UK Box Set Bargains

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon UK Box Set Bargains

Old 05-06-09, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon UK Box Set Bargains

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
they like to give themselves a window of a few days.
Still I've never had such a big window when ordering all in stock titles.

Oh well great prices and nothing that I need to watch real bad.

I hope Lewis is good. I think I saw an eposide on PBS Mystery but I am never sure of those British crime dramas.

Since it is a UK TV show there will be no PAL speedup right? Is that how it works.
Old 05-06-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RequiemX
Amazon doesn't let you apply credit card giftcards to purchases. HOWEVER:

Here is the amazon.com (and I assume amazon.co.uk) giftcard trick:
  1. buy an amazon.com gift certificate for $1 less than your credit card giftcard balance (if you use the full amount, the test charge will cause the actual charge to bounce and you'll get denied)
  2. use the gift certificate number that Amazon emails you towards your actual order
  3. you can use the remaining balance on another order if you wish
Thanks! I'll give that a try.
Old 05-08-09, 01:15 PM

Did anyone else order the seinfeld Season 5 - 6 Gift set get their dispatch date delayed? When I ordered it showed as in stock, now it shows estimated dispatch date of july.
Old 05-08-09, 02:37 PM

Both Warner Weissmuller Tarzan sets are attractively priced right now:

Vol. 1 - £7.98

Vol. 2 - £7.98

I should point out that Vol. 1 is missing the R1 set's fourth disc of extras.

Last edited by John Hodson; 05-08-09 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-09-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lots of good deals; I had to make some tough choices. Was tempted by the Hitchcock set and as I already had The Birds and Marnie, the full screen versions wouldn't have bothered me too much.
Settled on the Laurel and Hardy set. I haven't watched any L&H since I was a kid and they were broadcast on Sunday afternoons. Watched a few movies online and it reminded me what I was missing.
Also got The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. I know an R1 set was just released, but the UK set was about $27 as opposed to $50 and it has The Legacy of Reginald Perrin, a seven episode series done just after Leonard Rossiter's death.
Old 07-04-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone who got the Eureka Female Prisoner Scorpion Trilogy box set confirm if the Jailhouse 41 movie is NTSC?

I'm only asking because I just saw on DVDCompare that the first movie in the set is NTSC. I have searched high and low, reading various reviews, and everyone else claims it is PAL. DVDCompare is actually insistent that it is NTSC. However, they don't list the other movies on their site.

I really can't stand PAL speedup. I know some people don't notice it, but it completely takes me out of the movie when some recognizable sound is artificially slightly too-high-pitched, or when somebody seems to move just a little bit too quickly. Having grown up with judder, that doesn't bother me as much.

Also, could you confirm if there actually is a region code on the disc? The box set claims Region 2, but I read other reviews claiming it to be Region 0.
Old 07-05-09, 07:39 AM

The Sherlock Homes set (with Jeremy Brett) is down to 27.38 -- that's 77% off, even cheaper than when I bought it a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-09-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cheato
Can anyone who got the Eureka Female Prisoner Scorpion Trilogy box set confirm if the Jailhouse 41 movie is NTSC?
Also, could you confirm if there actually is a region code on the disc? The box set claims Region 2, but I read other reviews claiming it to be Region 0.
I love following up to my own posts...

Anyway, a few people responded by PM. Cosmic Bus and Visitor Q were unable to confirm the info for me, but were nice enough to respond (thanks again!). dino88 (thanks to you again, too!) was able to confirm that Jailhouse 41 plays fine in his US PS3, which won't play other R2/PAL DVDs. So, it does seem that this movie is NTSC R0. Heading off now to order the set...!
Old 07-09-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

The Adventures Of TinTin: 75th Anniversary Set ($16 before VAT/Shipping)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-T...7172934&sr=8-5
Old 07-09-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The Adventures Of TinTin: 75th Anniversary Set ($16 before VAT/Shipping)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-T...7172934&sr=8-5
Amazing price for a 10-disc set - no longer have an excuse to hold off on buying this!
Old 07-10-09, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
Amazing price for a 10-disc set - no longer have an excuse to hold off on buying this!
I held off for quite a while because of the fluctuating price. Can't wait to get this set and start watching it!

Also it would be worth mentioning that it looks like the price has gone up about $6 since I posted the link.
Old 07-10-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I held off for quite a while because of the fluctuating price. Can't wait to get this set and start watching it!

Also it would be worth mentioning that it looks like the price has gone up about $6 since I posted the link.
According to pricedevil, several UK sites have it for under 10GBP, so I suspect that Amazon's price may go back down at some point.

http://www.pricedevil.co.uk/DVDDetail/mfno1037754
Old 07-10-09, 10:55 AM

Big Tintin fan here. Thanks for the heads-up. Any comments on the new version vs. the old one? It seems a lot of the Amazon reviewers thought the old one was better. Does anyone have a link? I'm in a hurry right now and can't really look...
Old 07-10-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cheato
I love following up to my own posts...

Anyway, a few people responded by PM. Cosmic Bus and Visitor Q were unable to confirm the info for me, but were nice enough to respond (thanks again!). dino88 (thanks to you again, too!) was able to confirm that Jailhouse 41 plays fine in his US PS3, which won't play other R2/PAL DVDs. So, it does seem that this movie is NTSC R0. Heading off now to order the set...!
Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 is being re-released soon in the United States by Discotek. It will be remastered, have removable subtitles, and new extras. Discotek typically does a good job, so you might want to wait if Jailhouse 41 is the main reason you're buying the UK set.
Old 07-10-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ec461
Big Tintin fan here. Thanks for the heads-up. Any comments on the new version vs. the old one? It seems a lot of the Amazon reviewers thought the old one was better. Does anyone have a link? I'm in a hurry right now and can't really look...
Most of the concerns regarding the Adventures Of Tintin: 75th Anniversary Set boil down to a couple points:

1) Many were confused that there were two animated Tintin shows made. The first was in the 50's and was called "Herge's Adventures Of Tintin". Customers on Amazon swear this iteration of the Tintin Animated Series is closer to the comics, but reading up on Wiki says otherwise (it was criticized for being too different). Judging by the lower reviews on Amazon UK, many bought the set thinking it was the 50's show (though they both have different titles)

2) The other animated Tintin show was called "The Adventures Of TinTin" (like the name of the set, go figure!) and I believe was a Canadian production. If the Canadian set specs are to be believed, the DVD's originally had both French and Canadian language options and English Subs.

3) The final complaint comes from the point that the UK set apparently does not have a French language option, only English.
Old 07-10-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 is being re-released soon in the United States by Discotek. It will be remastered, have removable subtitles, and new extras. Discotek typically does a good job, so you might want to wait if Jailhouse 41 is the main reason you're buying the UK set.
Visitor Q dropped me a PM about the same thing. So thanks to you and him (her?) for the info! I waited and waited and waited for a reissue, but finally gave up and decided to order the import. You guys caught me just in time! I'm not really a fan of the genre (just Meiko Kaji), so I haven't been following the Pinky Violence DVD thread (that VQ pointed me to).
Old 07-10-09, 09:34 PM

Most of the concerns regarding the Adventures Of Tintin: 75th Anniversary Set boil down to a couple points:

1) Many were confused that there were two animated Tintin shows made. The first was in the 50's and was called "Herge's Adventures Of Tintin". Customers on Amazon swear this iteration of the Tintin Animated Series is closer to the comics, but reading up on Wiki says otherwise (it was criticized for being too different). Judging by the lower reviews on Amazon UK, many bought the set thinking it was the 50's show (though they both have different titles)

2) The other animated Tintin show was called "The Adventures Of TinTin" (like the name of the set, go figure!) and I believe was a Canadian production. If the Canadian set specs are to be believed, the DVD's originally had both French and Canadian language options and English Subs.

3) The final complaint comes from the point that the UK set apparently does not have a French language option, only English.
Thanks for the detailed response. Really appreciate it.

Just checking out clips on Youtube; they seem to have a decent chunk of the episodes online. Not stellar quality, but I just wanted to sample it before I buy. I'm going to wait till Amazon drops the price again. What was the original price in GBP, BTW?

Last edited by ec461; 07-10-09 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 10-disc W.C. Fields Collection is currently £16.98, or 76% off at Amazon, though it was at 80% off a week ago.
Old 07-12-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ec461
Thanks for the detailed response. Really appreciate it.

Just checking out clips on Youtube; they seem to have a decent chunk of the episodes online. Not stellar quality, but I just wanted to sample it before I buy. I'm going to wait till Amazon drops the price again. What was the original price in GBP, BTW?
I've seen it fluctuate from 13.98GBP to 16-18GBP.
Old 07-12-09, 11:49 PM
ADP

Can anyone tell me if the 4 disc set of Gone with the Wind on Amazon UK is region free or just Region 2?

Also my main DVD player is the one on my computer (came with it), is it hackable?

Or

Where is a good place to look into purchasing a region free dvd player. Preferrably an external one that can be linked via USB to my current computer.

Thanks,

ADP
Old 07-13-09, 12:46 AM
Cool New Member

Don't bother buying a new player for your computer. You are allowed to change the region on your computer 4 times. After that, it will be set on whichever region you last change to.
You can get around this though, as there's quite a few programs that can make your player region free. 2 commonly used ones are AnyDVD and DVDRegionFree. I've used both, no complaints from either.
Sorry I can't post links, but go to the slysoft website for AnyDVD, and dvdidle for the other one.
Old 07-13-09, 01:01 AM

VLC is a free player that doesn't care about a DVD's region.

Also be sure to Google your stand-alone DVD player if you have one. They're often times region-unlockable with a simple code.
Old 07-13-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ADP
Can anyone tell me if the 4 disc set of Gone with the Wind on Amazon UK is region free or just Region 2?

Also my main DVD player is the one on my computer (came with it), is it hackable?

Or

Where is a good place to look into purchasing a region free dvd player. Preferrably an external one that can be linked via USB to my current computer.

Thanks,

ADP
Try http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks for hacks for DVD-ROM players and standalone DVD players.
Old 07-13-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Didn't want to create another thread for this so i'll post it here. Does anyone know the difference between the Only Fools and Horses Complete collection and the OF&H complete series 1-7.

The description says that the Complete collection has series 1-7 plus 6 x-mas specials on 26 discs. The complete series 1-7 only has the regular episodes from the 7 series on 9 discs. There's a huge difference in price and disc count on the sets and I can't see how 6 x-mas specials would take up 17 discs. What else is on the Complete collection that makes up the disc and price difference?
Old 07-14-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm assuming there's a disc or two of extras, there's been a pretty good amount of 60 and 90 minute documentaries produced about Only Fools and Horses over the years and I'm sure some of those are included in that set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.