Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon UK Box Set Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 02:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Amazon UK Box Set Bargains

Originally Posted by dvd_chance
That is odd being UPS delivered. Was it a rush delivery or odd shaped package?
No - looked like normal Amazon UK packaging. I wonder if they used UPS because of all the weather issues over there last week...

Peter
Old 12-09-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for the Network released set of the 60's spy series, ESPIONAGE. On sale now for about $48 shipped, but that's still too high for me, dammit.
Old 01-17-11, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some deals that don't seem to have been metioned before:

Harold Lloyd Definitive Collection 14.63 pounds (71% off)

The Complete Buster Keaton Short Films 25.47 pounds (49% off)

Charlie Chaplin at Keystone 17.79 pounds (41% off)

Nosferatu (Master of Cinema) 9.93 pounds (57% off)

Complete Fritz Lang Mabuse Box Set 23.39 pounds (53% off)

The Idiot (Kurosawa) 6.99 pounds (65% off)

Mikio Naruse Collection 17.93 pounds (73% off)

Belle de Jour - 40th Anniversary 4.69 pounds (77% off)

Claude Chabrol Collection 10.99 pounds (76% off)

& there are a bunch more.
Old 01-20-11, 10:37 PM

How accurate are amazon.uk's shipping estimates? On my first order from them, I've got a Sherlock Holmes box set that is 10 days overdue from it's estimated delivery date. Starting to worry.
Old 01-21-11, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjanderson
How accurate are amazon.uk's shipping estimates? On my first order from them, I've got a Sherlock Holmes box set that is 10 days overdue from it's estimated delivery date. Starting to worry.
Curious about this too. I have an order for Planet Earth with an estimated delivery of Jan 20 (which just passed) that I have not yet received. The order was placed Dec 23. Since domestic Amazon orders invariably arrive for me well before the estimated delivery date, I am starting to wonder if I will ever receive my shipment.
Old 01-21-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Royal mail in UK has been backlogged since the holidays. Normally a 10 day wait would occur. It took around a month for me to get my Alien Anthology and I ordered on Dec. 16th.
Old 01-21-11, 05:48 AM

Yeah, the odds are your parcels were held up here in the UK for at least a couple of weeks. Royal Mail have only this week completely cleared their backlog from the bad weather in mid-December (they've been working Sundays and evenings to do so).
Old 01-21-11, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the updates. It's good to know not to be concerned.

On the other hand, I recently ordered a Sinatra CD through amazon (US) marketplace from a UK seller. And it came by royal mail in about... well, it was less than ten days. So I guess I'm still a little puzzled. Apparently on my DVD order from amazon.uk there were two shipments. One is overdue and one is just due about now. If I don't get it by the end of the month, I will query amazon.
Old 02-18-11, 12:24 PM

A follow up report here.

My Seven Percent Solution DVD from amazon.uk arrived late, but it finally got here. There was a small but deep scratch near the edge of the disc. This did affect play, but only for the last minute or so of the credits at the end of the film. Not amazon's fault. I'm not going to fuss about it. Odd, though. I've never seen a scratch on a new DVD that deep before.

The Compete Collection of Granada Sherlock Holmes I ordered was more than two weeks past their suggested due date, so I complained that it hadn't arrived, and amazon.uk sent a replacement. It arrived today, perfect shape.

Bottom line for me -- this was my first order directly from amazon.uk -- the shipping can be slow, but amazon customer service was great.
Old 02-18-11, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've ordered a dozen or so items over the past year from Amazon.uk. And until the weather conditions of the past two months never had an issue. Two recent items went over the due date by a month. However, my latest order was delivered in 7 days, so it looks like the mail may have finally caught of with the backlog.

Of course the delays were not a fault of Amazon, and the customer service during that period was excellent, as usual.
Old 02-18-11, 07:18 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just had a DVD set (Powell and Pressburger Collection) that I ordered a month and a half ago (2-3 weeks after the estimated arrival date) from Amazon UK arrive today...

...A couple of days after I contacted Amazon and they shipped a replacement. Oops.

The Customer Service email specifically says that if I end up receiving both orders to not bother to ship one of them back (since shipping it back would be "prohibitively expensive") so I guess I'm going to have two. I feel bad for Amazon getting stuck with the extra charge for something that was the Royal Mail's fault, but oh well.

Last edited by sb5; 02-18-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

On another board I'm a regular on a number of people are reporting huge delays in almost all packages sent from the UK to the USA. Apparently this started in December, & the belief seems to be that the cause is the USA government "homeland security" department.

We've been quite fortunate in the USA regarding international delivery; uncertain & very slow delivery of international packages is the norm in most of the world.

We can only hope this is just temporary, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 02-19-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently received orders from Amazon UK and (for the first time) Amazon France. I didn't notice any delay with the UK order, and while I did think the order from France was a little slow, that may be due to impatience on my part and comparing it to the normal ship times from the UK. I put in another UK order yesterday so I'll keep track this time.
Old 02-19-11, 10:05 AM

I just put in my first order to Amazon UK proper, and it took exactly 6 weeks to arrive. (I'd ordered before from a UK outside merchant, and that took about 5 weeks.) That's slower than promised, but OK with me so long as it eventually gets to me.
Old 02-19-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before Dec 2010. I used to receive most Amazon.uk orders in a week or so.
Old 02-19-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. Before December 2010 my orders would be here in a week. Now, it's weeks if not months. My last order got split into two shipments, one came in a week, the other just arrived nearly 6 weeks later. It also took 6 weeks for something I ordered from an Amazon Merchant. He was surprised how long it took. As long as i know what to expect I'm fine.
Old 02-19-11, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
I just had a DVD set (Powell and Pressburger Collection) that I ordered a month and a half ago (2-3 weeks after the estimated arrival date) from Amazon UK arrive today...

...A couple of days after I contacted Amazon and they shipped a replacement. Oops.

The Customer Service email specifically says that if I end up receiving both orders to not bother to ship one of them back (since shipping it back would be "prohibitively expensive") so I guess I'm going to have two. I feel bad for Amazon getting stuck with the extra charge for something that was the Royal Mail's fault, but oh well.
I'd be happy to take the other set off your hands.
Old 03-09-11, 03:13 AM

I don't know how many fans of Jane Eyre hang out in this thread, but it's one of my absolute favorite books ever and I was very impressed with the mini-series version that aired on Masterpiece Theatre in 2006 so I thought I'd share this.

The region 1 release, which I owned for a long time, didn't do any justice to the lavish production because it was non-anamorphic. The region 1 release also sells for around $20 on amazon (including marketplace) and has no bonus features. The region 2 release from Amazon UK is just 4.93 pounds (or about $8). It's listed as anamorphic so I ordered it. It is anamorphic! And this release has bonus features, including interviews with the cast and crew, and commentary by the director. I was very impressed with the release, and I can't recommend the show enough to anyone who loves or is interested in Jane Eyre. For me it is the definitive version of the story, although I haven't seen the new film yet. It's half the price of the US, inferior release so some of you might want to check it out...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Eyre-BB...pr_product_top
Old 03-15-11, 01:16 PM

My second Amazon UK order took about a month, an improvement on the first (6 wks). The third took just 10 days. Perhaps things are back to where they were before the early winter slowdown.
Old 03-15-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got a UK order from a private party in 9 days. I THINK it may be back to normal.
Old 03-15-11, 05:02 PM

I just received the 21 disc Laurel and Hardy set. Price was about fifty bucks and the shipping estimate was dead-on. It took about 10-15 days to get to me.
Old 03-15-11, 09:19 PM

Does Amazon UK ship in boxes? I ordered Back to the Future last year (normal shipping), and the paper "envelope style" packaging looked ok on the outside, but the box set was crushed when I opened it. There are a few other things I would like to import, but the shipping worries me. Does the faster shipping method have different packaging?
Old 03-15-11, 10:35 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Credit to Isny in the Doctor Who Thread:

Doctor Who - Series 1-4 - Complete - £43.47

Removing VAT and including Shipping, it works out to be about $60 or so, or around $15 per season, which is a great deal (especially compared to the R1 season set prices).
Old 03-16-11, 01:27 AM
Banned

The X Files - The Complete Collector's Edition is £59.97 or $88.57 USD shipped
Old 03-16-11, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
Does Amazon UK ship in boxes? I ordered Back to the Future last year (normal shipping), and the paper "envelope style" packaging looked ok on the outside, but the box set was crushed when I opened it. There are a few other things I would like to import, but the shipping worries me. Does the faster shipping method have different packaging?
My Laurel and Hardy box set (21 discs, normal sized dvd cases) was big and it came in a box (with Kolchak). The box was a little dinged but everything inside was good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.