DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Used Blu-Rays at Blockbuster. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/549071-used-blu-rays-blockbuster.html)

King Elessar 02-02-09 12:50 AM

Used Blu-Rays at Blockbuster.

Walked into my local Blockbuster Video today and saw that they pulled out some used Blu-Rays for Sale. Most were bulk titles such as Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Forbidden Kingdom, Speed Racer, among others. They were all priced at 16.99 a piece.

NiCK Crush 02-02-09 12:55 AM

Re: Used Blu-Rays at Blockbuster.

Originally Posted by King Elessar (Post 9238734)
Walked into my local Blockbuster Video today and saw that they pulled out some used Blu-Rays for Sale. Most were bulk titles such as Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Forbidden Kingdom, Speed Racer, among others. They were all priced at 16.99 a piece.

What kind of cases did they come in?

fumanstan 02-02-09 12:55 AM

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Were they in the typical blockbuster rental cases? That would be a huge negative for me, but there are titles like Hulk that I would want to pick up.

TheMovieman 02-02-09 01:28 AM

Yeah, Incredible Hulk is most definitely worth picking up...

tonymontana313 02-02-09 01:35 AM

Hmmm cases won't be an issue for me since I have about 20 extra from sleevetown but this is good news.

dsa_shea 02-02-09 08:10 AM

I was told that they would be sold in the rental cases and not the blu-ray cases. The lady I spoke with about it says that they receive the movies already in rental cases and never get the Blu cases.

NEUMANN 02-02-09 09:14 AM

16.99 (above 18 dollars when you include tax) seems to be a bit high for used,especialy used rentals with no case.

PopcornBandit 02-02-09 09:15 AM

So, you don't get the original artwork either?

Gizmo 02-02-09 09:34 AM

So $17 for a movie not in its original case when most can be had for the same price for $2-3 more? Pass.

jones 02-02-09 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit (Post 9239131)

You can download the original covers here and maybe some custom covers if you wish http://www.cdcovers.cc/

TheMovieman 02-02-09 09:40 AM

Eh, in that case might as well buy it new...

NEUMANN 02-02-09 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 9239188)
Eh, in that case might as well buy it new...

Thats just it,you can go on Amazon right now and get Iron man for 16.99,forbidden kingdom 17.99,speed racer 19.99 all blu rays all brand new for about the same price as a scratched up used rental with a rental case(even if it came in a blu ray case it still would not be worth it),not much of a decision there.Blockbuster should be selling these for 10 dollars or less

dsa_shea 02-02-09 10:13 AM

I believe you do get the origianl atwork just slipped into the rental case. I still think 15+ dollars plus tax is a bit high for a used Blu-Ray. I also consider the fact that some renters still manage to scratch up Blu-Ray discs despite efforts made to prevent that from being so easy.

RaMMaR 02-02-09 10:19 AM

i'm assuming they don't make BD specific rental cases. IF they (at least) have the cover art i may bite if the price is right, otherwise it's a no go for me. It's funny, i seem to remember the BlockBuster i used to frequent (before they were shuttered in Dec) had them in the regular Blu-ray boxes w/ cover art.

stingermck 02-02-09 10:24 AM

Pass. I have a Movie Stop with plenty of used Blu

fumanstan 02-02-09 10:27 AM

Depends on the movie... I don't think I've seen Incredible Hulk for anything less then $22.99 and have been waiting to get it under $20 bucks. But if i'm stuck with the shitty rental case, nevermind :)

Subgeniusguy 02-02-09 03:32 PM

I bought Incredible Hulk as part of a B1G1 BD deal from Columbiahouse a while back basically making it half price ($15) when ordering with another title. $16.99 is way too much for a previous rental.

melih69 02-02-09 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9239319)
Depends on the movie... I don't think I've seen Incredible Hulk for anything less then $22.99 and have been waiting to get it under $20 bucks. But if i'm stuck with the shitty rental case, nevermind :)

It was $19.99 at one point. I remember i saw it somewhere on this form.

teddydogg 02-02-09 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by melih69 (Post 9240243)
It was $19.99 at one point. I remember i saw it somewhere on this form.

I am pretty sure it was at Target last week for this price.

beebs 02-02-09 05:17 PM

I will have to check it out at my Blockbuster. They never seem to follow the rules and seem to always have a better deal than advertised.

FYI -- the Blockbuster copy of the Mist is a 1-disc version, without the second disc and the B&W version, I believe. Not something I would settle for... otherwise, I think my BB has the original cover art with these, and 1 or 2 discs depending on the movie. If there's a better deal, like 2 for XX, it could work for me.

-beebs

fumanstan 02-03-09 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by teddydogg (Post 9240504)
I am pretty sure it was at Target last week for this price.

Hmm, I'm at Target at least once a week and don't recall seeing it with the group of other recent Blu's that were at that price.

JimRochester 02-17-09 02:57 PM

I know it's no tremendous bargain, but for those interested my Blockbuster put some new titles out: Get Smart, House Bunny and Rambo. There were a couple others that I have forgotten.

FWIW

mattysemo247 02-17-09 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit (Post 9239131)

They come with the original artwork. Just not the original case. I still have a shitload of the Hancock blu ray cases from Best Buy I use.

fumanstan 02-17-09 03:13 PM

I saw a bunch the other day as well, all for $16.99. If it weren't for the crummy cases I probably would have bought Get Smart. Oh well.

doubledown44 02-17-09 03:19 PM

The stupid box was a deal breaker for me as well.