DR. Strangelove 40th Anniversary Special Edition $4.99

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DR. Strangelove 40th Anniversary Special Edition $4.99

Old 01-31-09, 09:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DR. Strangelove 40th Anniversary Special Edition $4.99

Originally Posted by movieguru
A "Sku" number is a stock keeping unit number. It is for the retailer's use and not the customers. If they placed a sign next to the higher priced "special edition" of Dr. Strangelove (there are 2 different versions of the special edition from looking at the cover of both) it is the retailers fault. The customer should not be expected to check the sku or upc code to see if it matches. Also most consumers won't know that the number on a sale sign will correspond with a sku number on the product. Only those that had worked in retail are like to pay any attention to it at all.

Suppose a customer went into a grocery store and saw a sign on the front of a shelf, with 24 oz. Honeynut Cheerios on it, that said "Honeynut Cheerios $1.99". When they went to the register it rings up $4.99 and the customers mentions the sign. Would it be right for the employee to say "no the sku number matches the 10 oz. box Of Honeynut Cheerios not the 24 oz. box so we cant sell you that one even though we put the sign in the wrong place"?
Same difference with the DVD.
Of course the store is going to say that. They will offer to go get the right size box if they know there is a mistake. If the store knows a mistake exists, they aren't going to let the customer get away with it. Trust me, I have been employed in retail for 4 years now. 99 percent of the time, managers will refuse to honor a sale based on products/price signs being placed in the incorrect place. The only people who actually do get to buy it are usually the people who don't yell, don't tap their fingers impatiently, and stay calm throughout the conversation.
Old 01-31-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welcome to the forum, OP! Perhaps next time if posting a "deal" you might consider mentioning the name of the store more than once and including it in the thread title as well.

Strange how you only give it one mention and it's just in passing at the end of your post.

Best Buy Best Buy Best Buy

Edit: ok, see OP has been here since 2006 . . . hmmm

Last edited by Xbox69; 01-31-09 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RichBecker
Of course the store is going to say that. They will offer to go get the right size box if they know there is a mistake. If the store knows a mistake exists, they aren't going to let the customer get away with it. Trust me, I have been employed in retail for 4 years now. 99 percent of the time, managers will refuse to honor a sale based on products/price signs being placed in the incorrect place. The only people who actually do get to buy it are usually the people who don't yell, don't tap their fingers impatiently, and stay calm throughout the conversation.
In many states they would be breaking the law if they did not honor their mistakes. For example if an endcap had 2 different items on it and there was only a generic sale sign on the top of an encap that stated a price, it would have to apply to both products. They couldn't charge a higher price for one of the items on that endcap.

Now if a customers moves a sale sign and places it somewhere else that doesn't apply. I've had a customer once try to get a $100 item that was not on sale for 75% because there was a generic clearence sign next to it that said 75% off. On that aisle there was 8 feet of shelving that had clearence items on it with those signs on those shelves only. This $100 item was on a shelf 10 feet away. They took it to the register and acted surprised when it rang up regular price. They took me to the shelf and showed me the sign and asked how should they know as a customer the sign was in the wrong place. I told them I could show them on our cameras how the sign was moved there. At which point the husband was edging the wife to give up and quickly leave the store.

99% of the time most retail managers will know the difference between an employee mistake and a customer trying to defraud them.
Old 02-01-09, 08:50 AM

For heck sake, people!!! Why is this thread still going on and on? Is it really pissing you off that much that I got a 4.99 40th SE of Dr. Strangelove???

FIRST OFF. There was no damn SKU on the blue price tag... It just said DR. STRANGELOVE SPECIAL EDITION 4.99. Nothing else. The ONLY version of the dvd on the shelf right there behind the blue tag was the 40th Special Edition. No 1 disc were on the shelves.

There was another paper tag that said something completely different. It just said DR. STRANGELOVE 4.99... Had no mention that it was the special edition.

So, what did we learn folks? There were TWO TAGS. One Blue and One made of a weird material called PAPER. Both mentioned different versions of the movie being 4.99.

--Well if it's technically illegal then I'm a walkin' criminal by gosh!!!

I don't know why I didn't mention Best Buy in the Title. I forgot. I was just excited to get the Special Edition for 4.99 and thought I would share so everyone could pick it up...

And to the poster who said I mentioned grabbing every copy in my OP. You're right,I did say that. My claim doesn't make much sense since I said that in the OP. Weird...

Either way, I wasn't serious. I never buy multiple copies if there is a deal. The only thing I worry about is my collection and my collection alone.

Though, I do hate best buy and will continue only shopping there when I hear deals or price mistake

C'MON, let's keep this thread rolling!!!

BTW, I'm in the process of starting another deal. I took a White Out Pen and wrote 4.99 on the Complete Seinfeld Series... It rang up 120 bucks but I showed the cashier the tag that said 4.99 and she adjusted the price... no problems. I think I'll be going back to snag up on some more copies...
Old 02-01-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
For heck sake, people!!! Why is this thread still going on and on? Is it really pissing you off that much that I got a 4.99 40th SE of Dr. Strangelove???
Why is it pissing you off that the thread is still going? Ironic that you complain about the thread continuing, yet you're one of the ones that keeps posting.

Geeeze, dude. Just move on if it bothers you that much.
Old 02-01-09, 09:07 AM

It's called reverse psych, man... I'm an attention whore. I'm diggin' this.
Old 02-01-09, 09:47 AM
Suspended

well, looks like Best Buy got pwned... Oh well. Technically I'm not breaking any law, so stop your whining already.
no, you're just being a greedy dick

why not leave some for other people?

think how you would feel if you thought there was gonna be a good deal, showed up and someone had bought all seven copies of a movie or game you wanted.

LLLLLLLAME!!!
Old 02-01-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

FIRST OFF. There was no damn SKU on the blue price tag... It just said DR. STRANGELOVE SPECIAL EDITION 4.99. Nothing else. The ONLY version of the dvd on the shelf right there behind the blue tag was the 40th Special Edition. No 1 disc were on the shelves.

There was another paper tag that said something completely different. It just said DR. STRANGELOVE 4.99... Had no mention that it was the special edition.
Point 1: I've never seen a sale tag at Best Buy without a SKU. Never.

Point 2: Despite what others may suggest, how Best Buy arranges their sale tags in relation to the specific editions of a title is irrelevant, unless you're among the first shoppers of the day. Titles get moved around a lot, and it gets even worse when something's on sale, as it frequently is there.
Old 02-01-09, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually this store tactic reminds me of the now defunct Circuit City.
So I go there and look for the $5 version of the disc. It is sold out, so no go. Since I don't want to leave empty-handed, I grab the $20 one and fondle my ego with that.

I can understand that mistakes happen, but it's either I lose or the store loses. Generally, in these case, the law is tilted in favor of the corporate person. Explain your mistake to the company and expect leniency, my arse. Not to mention that the retail prices for, say, DVDs, have no connection whatsoever with the production costs.

This explains, IMO, a lot of these rogue consumer attitudes. The consumer plays the minimax strategy, he's f*cked anyway, he's just trying to minimize the losses. Meanwhile, the retailer is playing the maximin strategy, by trying to maximize the minimum gain. Generally it's a winning strategy, unless retailer keeps on bluffing even when the only non-losing consumer strategy (don't enter the game) kicks in, for various reasons (eg discretionary income or available credit drop).

That's what happened to Circuit City. Best Buy can start taking notes.
Old 02-01-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CritterYawn
Actually this store tactic reminds me of the now defunct Circuit City.
So I go there and look for the $5 version of the disc. It is sold out, so no go. Since I don't want to leave empty-handed, I grab the $20 one and fondle my ego with that.
Maybe it's because my family owned and operated its own business for 20 years, maybe it's because I remember when eBay was still a fair marketplace, but I've about had it with customer whining.

They ran a sale on one version of the DVD and by the time you got there, there were none left. You didn't want to leave "empty-handed." They did their part--they ran the sale, they advertised the sale, they honored the sale. They owed you absolutely nothing in this instance for your tardiness.
Old 02-01-09, 10:34 PM

Aspect ratio for 40th anniversary edition is 16:9, but original was 4:3. Keep in mind if this sort of cut upsets you.
Old 02-01-09, 10:53 PM

Nah, doesn't upset me at all. I mean, I can always go back and buy the single disc version for 4.99, right? Wink Wink!!!
Old 02-01-09, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gamelore
Aspect ratio for 40th anniversary edition is 16:9, but original was 4:3. Keep in mind if this sort of cut upsets you.
That's interesting. I may need to get the SE to complement my AE. Curse you, Kubrick!
Old 02-02-09, 12:07 AM
Suspended

I have one of these versions but I doubt I paid 4.99$ for it. Or maybe I did. How much do dvds average out with CH cycling?

E
Old 02-02-09, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gamelore
Actually, the 40th anniversary is 16:9 but its aspect ratio is 1.66:1, which is the preferred ratio--EXCEPT, Kubrick wanted it to expaned to 4:3 for the stock footage for authenticity (allegedly).

1.66:1 is a standard ratio for him though--insofar as he had one, the persnickety cuss.
Old 02-02-09, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Actually, the 40th anniversary is 16:9 but its aspect ratio is 1.66:1, which is the preferred ratio--EXCEPT, Kubrick wanted it to expaned to 4:3 for the stock footage for authenticity (allegedly).

1.66:1 is a standard ratio for him though--insofar as he had one, the persnickety cuss.
After reading up on it a little, I can look for links again later if needed, supposedly he wanted the AR to expand for some other scenes too, specifically those involving the War Room as some of the big map gets cut out by the matte. Probably per Turgidson's orders though. Can't have anyone seeing such classified information.
Old 02-02-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by theflicker
After reading up on it a little, I can look for links again later if needed, supposedly he wanted the AR to expand for some other scenes too, specifically those involving the War Room as some of the big map gets cut out by the matte. Probably per Turgidson's orders though. Can't have anyone seeing such classified information.
That I had not heard before, interesting. I've kind of ignored his wishes anyway, myself. Too much trouble to try and deal with that AND have a good print and worthwhile/interesting extras