$1.99 disposable rentals at Staples YMMV

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$1.99 disposable rentals at Staples YMMV

Old 02-01-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: $1.99 disposable rentals at Staples YMMV

Originally Posted by Pizza
If they're able to sell disposible DVDs for $5 and make a profit, then they should sell all DVDs for that price.
They're selling a 48 hour rental for $5. When I buy a DVD (or BD), they're selling me something to own-- for as long as I'd like (or until the disc reaches the end of its life).
Old 02-01-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by awil1026
They're selling a 48 hour rental for $5. When I buy a DVD (or BD), they're selling me something to own-- for as long as I'd like (or until the disc reaches the end of its life).
And the "as long as I'd like" part is what is killing the studios along with illegal downloads. The re-sale of DVDs on Amazon Marketplace, Ebay, private sales is a sale that they don't participate in and cannibalizes their own sales.
Old 02-01-09, 01:39 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staples trying to be the next Circuit City???
Old 02-01-09, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
And the "as long as I'd like" part is what is killing the studios along with illegal downloads. The re-sale of DVDs on Amazon Marketplace, Ebay, private sales is a sale that they don't participate in and cannibalizes their own sales.
Reminds me of something Garth Brooks said years ago about people selling his used CDs. He though he should make money off there sales as well as new ones. It was too funny, as is the studios complaining about used CD sales. I haven't bought any CDs in years, new or used, but it's because I don't consider much of any of the newly released music worth owning. I don't buy used DVDs because of being able to buy new ones dirt cheap at places like Big Lots.