Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Cheap HD-DVD titles at Kroger ($3.99 - $7.99)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were mixed in with a bin of DVDs. Nothing TOO great, but the titles I remember are:

Children of Men
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Hollywoodland
Alpha Dog
Mr. Bean's Holiday
Animal House
Balls of Fury
Jet Li: Fearless
Unleashed
The Kingdom
Miami Vice

I'm sure there were half a dozen others I'm forgetting. I just picked up Animal House to see if it will play in my XBOX 360.

It looks like it could be a lot of the same titles from this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...vd-titles.html

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-23-09 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 05:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cheap HD-DVD titles at Kroger ($3.99 - $7.99)

This is great offer The price is good
Old 01-23-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a feeling you needed additional hardware to play HD-DVDs on an XBOX

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-24-09 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 06:13 PM

This deal is already covered in the thread below.

Kroger's Cheap New HBO DVD's and Unversal HD-DVD's
Old 01-23-09, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I had a feeling you needed additional hardware to play HD-DVDs on an XBOX

If anyone wants an open, but not quite used Animal House for $5.99 shipped, let me know.
The DVD side will still play just fine...or spend $25 and get a HD DVD add-on drive for the 360.
Old 01-23-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiral Staircase
This deal is already covered in the thread below.

Kroger's Cheap New HBO DVD's and Unversal HD-DVD's
Well its not called "Kroger's". I did a search for "Kroger" and that thread did not come up.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The DVD side will still play just fine...or spend $25 and get a HD DVD add-on drive for the 360.
I'd rather just not dabble in the format if I still have to buy a player. I was thinking you could just pop it in like a Blu-ray in the PS3. I'll just stick to BR movies.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-23-09 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Well its not called "Kroger's". I did a search for "Kroger" and that thread did not come up.

I'd rather just not dabble in the format if I still have to buy a player. I was thinking you could just pop it in like a Blu-ray in the PS3. I'll just stick to BR movies.
$25 gets you a HD DVD player and access to hundreds of movies for $10 (most $5) or less...and many not available on Blu-ray and likely never will be. Small investment.
Old 01-23-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$25 gets you a HD DVD player and access to hundreds of movies for $10 (most $5) or less...and many not available on Blu-ray and likely never will be. Small investment.
Curse you and your logic!
Old 01-24-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

That, and you get an XBOX media remote with the drive that is worth at least $20 by itself. I think they have removed the King Kong HD DVD from the set, but the remote is nice.
Old 01-24-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing
That, and you get an XBOX media remote with the drive that is worth at least $20 by itself. I think they have removed the King Kong HD DVD from the set, but the remote is nice.
I have my Logitech that already controls everything, including the XBOX.
Old 01-24-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

where can you get it for $25?
Old 01-24-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I was wondering that too.
Old 01-24-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Out of curiosity, which HD DVDs are you thinking "likely never will be" on Blu-ray? Except for a couple titles, Warner pretty much has caught up now and has released any previous HD DVD exclusives onto Blu, Paramount has just about too...all that leaves is Universal, and I'd be willing to bet if you give them a couple of years they'll get around to cranking out their previous catalog titles...
Old 01-25-09, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Out of curiosity, which HD DVDs are you thinking "likely never will be" on Blu-ray? Except for a couple titles, Warner pretty much has caught up now and has released any previous HD DVD exclusives onto Blu, Paramount has just about too...all that leaves is Universal, and I'd be willing to bet if you give them a couple of years they'll get around to cranking out their previous catalog titles...
Warner still has a handful of titles not yet on Blue (Dukes of Hazzard and Posieden come to mind) and no plans to release them. Universal has well over a hundred, and so far, the have only released about 20 of their "big" titles in 8 months. It will be a long time (if ever) before they decide that a title like The River or Cat People deserves a release. If they were not big sellers on HD DVD, why spend the time and money to pump them out in Blu-ray where they may sell a couple thousand units? All my opinion of course
Old 01-25-09, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
www.eBay.com
www.craigslist.com

$5 at Sears

$50 at Fry's with Heroes S1 and Battlestar Galactica S1.
Old 01-25-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Warner still has a handful of titles not yet on Blue (Dukes of Hazzard and Posieden come to mind) and no plans to release them. Universal has well over a hundred, and so far, the have only released about 20 of their "big" titles in 8 months. It will be a long time (if ever) before they decide that a title like The River or Cat People deserves a release. If they were not big sellers on HD DVD, why spend the time and money to pump them out in Blu-ray where they may sell a couple thousand units? All my opinion of course
Ah, I had forgotten about Dukes Of Hazzard (really, who can blame me!) and those few others....I am sure Warner will eventually shoot those out, especially since they do not do any alternate encodings for Blu and simply repurpose what was made for the HD DVD releases....
Yeah, there are a few of those more obscure Universal titles that will take a good long while to make it to Blu (if ever), but I have to think the vast majority of them will be here sooner than later....the greatest amount of Uni's output was fairly popular mainstream stuff, even if not everyone's most requested titles (like the Spielberg films, etc.)....you have to figure Universal knows they can sell Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Half Baked, 12 Monkeys, Backdraft, Breakfast Club, Bruce Almighty, Carlito's Way, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Erin Brockovich, Red Dragon, Notting Hill, Meet The Parents/Fockers, Liar Liar, MALLRATS, etc etc (sorry, got carried away just browsing over the Uni HD DVDs on my rack, I'm sure all those would be OK sellers for catalog titles....)
I am still completely surprised they are wasting their time with that "Street Fighter" disc, which you figure really won't sell too many copies....I guess it was then or never for it though, with the new upcoming feature film and video game sequel...
Old 01-25-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It may be awhile before you see Grand Prix or Forbidden Planet on Blu-ray Disc. Even more recent titles such as The Last Starfighter and Unleashed are sufficiently obscure that it may be some time before they get released on BD, if ever.

But, to buy into a dead format for the few titles not likely to appear on BD seems like more trouble than it is worth. For those of us who already have HD DVD collections, buying inexpensive discs makes sense and replacing them with BDs doesn't, for the most part. I picked up several of the cheap Universal Combos from my local Kroger store (called City Market, here). One I will keep, the others will likely be "watch and sell". It's cheaper than a rental.