Reload this Page >

$5.99 HD DVD titles

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$5.99 HD DVD titles

Old 01-18-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: $5.99 HD DVD titles

Yeah, the list is different now, showing 145 titles. Some of the ones Amazon was handling that were OOS are now back at a cheaper price, but once you add in the shipping they come out to a dollar or two more. Shipping from closeoutmovies seems to be $3 a title regardless of quantity.
Old 01-18-09, 09:50 AM

Shipping kills the deal.
Old 01-18-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi View Post
Seems these are no longer shipping from Amazon. I put a bunch of titles in my cart went to check out and back out when I saw that the shipping charge would be over $40.
I just ordered and got free shipping. I noticed that some titles come up as 4.99 instead of 5.99. I clicked on other buying options and found the 5.99 versions that ship through Amazon and got free shipping. It's kind of a wash I guess depending on how many you order.
Old 01-18-09, 10:35 AM
Cool New Member

Was going to check out, until I realized that the shipping cost for the 17 discs I wanted was over $50!
Old 01-18-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I just ordered and got free shipping. I noticed that some titles come up as 4.99 instead of 5.99. I clicked on other buying options and found the 5.99 versions that ship through Amazon and got free shipping. It's kind of a wash I guess depending on how many you order.
Yes, that does work. Unfortunately, only some of them have the alternate buying options (aka, where there's a link that lists "Used & New" versions).

Old 01-18-09, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Yes, that does work. Unfortunately, only some of them have the alternate buying options (aka, where there's a link that lists "Used & New" versions).

They added some new titles to the list since earlier this morning and those titles don't have the option and neither do titles that have sold out. It worked out fine for me when I ordered 5 discs earlier and two came up as $5 and I was able to find the $6 ones that counted toward free shipping. I'm sure as the day goes on, less and less will have the option. (and aka, I'm only trying to help out and triy to give folks a shot at free shipping.)
Old 01-18-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. So they lowered many of titles from $6 to $5, but took away free shipping... Weird.

When I ordered mine around 5am EST they were all still $6 and I got free shipping on everything. Guess it pays to have insomnia sometimes.
Old 01-18-09, 11:29 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wow, I'm surprised that deal didn't last longer! I wonder who decided to take away the free shipping, Amazon or closeoutmovies on a Saturday night?
Old 01-18-09, 11:45 AM

It's not so much they changed the prices (many of the $5.99 version are still there. . .for now) but they added an additional $4.99 selection that the main page goes to that doesn't count toward the $25 free shipping total. When an item comes up with this message at the top of the screen: "This item is not eligible for Amazon Prime when purchased from closeoutmovies. See more buying choices," click on "see more buying or options" and look to see if there if closeoutmovies has one listed with "fulfillment by amazon" and that will count. Keep in mind that sometimes other companies will have the "fulfillment by amazon" attached to their listing but the item may be a much higher price. It is crazy but that's amazon. I would imagine that as the day goes along the ones that count for free shipping will vanish, but who knows.
Old 01-18-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

These all ship from a private seller, why would Amazon give you free shpping?
Old 01-18-09, 11:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
These all ship from a private seller, why would Amazon give you free shpping?
They pay Amazon to ship.
Old 01-18-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On some of them - not all. Oh well. The two I want may be at Ralphs today when I go food shopping...so I'll hold off ordering.
Old 01-18-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same thing here, $15 shipping for 5 discs. No thanks. Nothing I need that badly. The only HD titles I really wanted to grab were Twister and Music and Lyrics and those are the 2 I can never find. I'll probably just end up with the Blu's at some point.
Old 01-18-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A real shame I missed out when these were shipping for me. I would have purchased over 10 of 'em.
Old 01-18-09, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
It's funny how things change. A couple months ago I was waiting for someone to do an HD-DVD firesale around $5 or $6 and I would have been all over this. But now, I just don't know. I looked over the list and I'm not sure there's many titles there I'm willing to pay $6 for anymore.

I swear I'm not trying to threadcrap. Just thinking outloud I guess.

EDIT: Also, why does Shaun of the Dead never drop in price? iNetVideo always had it at $10+, and it's $12.99 here. That's the one title on HD-DVD I still really want.
Fry's has Shaun of the Dead for $5.00 for the next few days. Great movie and great HD DVD!
Old 01-18-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Same thing here, $15 shipping for 5 discs. No thanks. Nothing I need that badly. The only HD titles I really wanted to grab were Twister and Music and Lyrics and those are the 2 I can never find. I'll probably just end up with the Blu's at some point.
Amazon.ca has both of them.
Old 01-18-09, 01:04 PM

Question..

I ordered 20 titles late last night,all were $5.99 and i received free shipping for all sold throgh close out movies.

Now i see today alot of the prices are a dollar or more cheaper so since i placed my order already and received an order confirmation is it possible to have the prices credited to my account for what they are now? That would be over $30 in credit,do i contact Amazon?
Old 01-18-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You do not get refunded if the price changes anymore. If they have not shipped, cancel the whole order.
Old 01-18-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon.ca has both of them.
Giz; thanks for the help. Let me rephrase that. I'd like to find both of those in the bargain bin. My daughter loves M&L and I think Twister is a real guilty pleasure. Sounds great on my sound system. But if I have pay more than $10 for the HD, I'll just wait and pay a few extra for the BD. I' don't mind adding to my HD collection but with the format being dead, I won't pay the same for the HD as the BD.
Old 01-18-09, 01:08 PM

You do not get refunded if the price changes anymore. If they have not shipped, cancel the whole order.
Why would i want to cancel the order,i am getting free shipping on all
Old 01-18-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
Question..

I ordered 20 titles late last night,all were $5.99
Do not cancel your order! You did well. The only way to get Free Shipping is to buy titles at $5.99 via Amazon Prime.

As some of us have found out, the same titles listed for less (such at $4.99) do not qualify for Amazon Prime and its Free Shipping. Those have a shipping charge of about $2.99 per disc, so end up costing more than the $5.99/free shipping ones.

Old 01-18-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Giz; thanks for the help. Let me rephrase that. I'd like to find both of those in the bargain bin. My daughter loves M&L and I think Twister is a real guilty pleasure. Sounds great on my sound system. But if I have pay more than $10 for the HD, I'll just wait and pay a few extra for the BD. I' don't mind adding to my HD collection but with the format being dead, I won't pay the same for the HD as the BD.
You wont find Twister cheap, Warner produced only a small amount (couple thousand tops). M&L shouldn't be too tough to find in the future cheap.
Old 01-18-09, 01:53 PM

It looks like both 'Animal House' and 'Fast Times...' are available for $5.97, including shipping.

I was able to order 'Fast Times' earlier this AM with Prime.

I ended up at 6 (I think) Kroger stores looking for both those movies over the past couple of days. I ended up with 12 other titles (incl. 'Elizabeth The Golden Age' -- I ordered 'Elizabeth' along with 'Fast Times.')

I wonder if my 10 yr old DVD copy of 'Animal House' -- bought with a gift card received for Xmas 98 -- still plays.

So thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-18-09, 02:10 PM

The only way to get Free Shipping is to buy titles at $5.99 via Amazon Prime.
You don't need Amazon Prime to get free ship, as long as your order is over $25 on the $5.99 titles.
Old 01-18-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
Question..

I ordered 20 titles late last night,all were $5.99 and i received free shipping for all sold throgh close out movies.

Now i see today alot of the prices are a dollar or more cheaper so since i placed my order already and received an order confirmation is it possible to have the prices credited to my account for what they are now? That would be over $30 in credit,do i contact Amazon?
1) There are no price guarantees

2) You could opt to cancel your order and re-order, but then you'd pay shipping charges.

3) Just sit back and feel lucky you got these for $5.99 with free shipping.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.