Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Somehow I doubt everything was marked up to full MSRP...that would take re-stickering the entire store.
Were all new release titles (ALL!--from about the past 3-6 months, I've never watched carefully to see about when turnover is) 28.99 or 29.99?
That's MSRP for almost any title newly released.
Yes they re sticker the entire store, all you have to do is change the shelf tags on all the non media items.
Old 01-31-09, 03:04 PM

Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

just got this in my email
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

what struck me as odd is that "new merchandise arriving daily" hmm maybe thats why the racks are always full

Last edited by lovgun7; 01-31-09 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somehow I doubt everything was marked up to full MSRP...that would take re-stickering the entire store.
Were all new release titles (ALL!--from about the past 3-6 months, I've never watched carefully to see about when turnover is) 28.99 or 29.99?
That's MSRP for almost any title newly released.
They were all marked between $27.99 and $29.99.

I didn't take pictures, but I don't need you to question my honesty. They were all MSRP - all of the new releases. Which is why I posted it as such.

The prices were hilarious.
weird. Terminator and Bullitt DVDs for 22.99? Seriously? Or BD?
If that's for SD, that's not even MSRP, that's just pure rip off...
You said "new releases", so naturally, new films to DVD (not new SEs - Bulitt and Terminator haven't even had any) are jacked up to about $30.

I specifically saw restickering on at least half of the selection there. That's what they do before liquidation. Every store does it.
Old 01-31-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lovgun7
what struck me as odd is that "new merchandise arriving daily" hmm maybe thats why the racks are always full
They still have warehouses that need to be emptied. Whatever they can't send back.

weird. Terminator and Bullitt DVDs for 22.99? Seriously? Or BD?
If that's for SD, that's not even MSRP, that's just pure rip off...
I should have specified. They were for the BD's. I didn't look at the SD's because I'm trying to get rid of mine not get more.
Old 01-31-09, 09:06 PM

just went today and a few deals are there you just have to take your time and browse around. Hands down the gaming accessories is the biggest deal ... 37 bucks for a 360 wireless control ... 17 bucks for a ps3 blu ray remote... the car audio is 40% off which is a good deal ... 350 for a indash screen with navigation
Old 01-31-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went today for the first time, but wasn't too impressed. DVD's were 25% off, games were 20% off. I wasn't really interested in anything else. I bought nothing...
Old 01-31-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

What is the discount on cds now?
Old 01-31-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by lovgun7
just went today and a few deals are there you just have to take your time and browse around. Hands down the gaming accessories is the biggest deal ... 37 bucks for a 360 wireless control ... 17 bucks for a ps3 blu ray remote... the car audio is 40% off which is a good deal ... 350 for a indash screen with navigation
Even then some of the deals aren't that good. I got a 360 wireless with plug and play for $42 no tax. Amazon had some for $36 no tax. But if you can find points for any of the systems that is a decent deal. I haven't had a chance to go out to the CC that are now closing. I did go when the other 2 stores closed and didn't really get much.
Old 01-31-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
They were all marked between $27.99 and $29.99.

I didn't take pictures, but I don't need you to question my honesty. They were all MSRP - all of the new releases. Which is why I posted it as such.
I wasn't questioning your honesty. I just know that a lot of people believe "19.99" is list price for a new release--and that they'd have to re-sticker every title in the entire store to get them all to list price. I suppose that's not a huge deal with incoming stock, but it seems bizarre to me that they'd waste payroll (however minimal pay is for liquidation employees) on the hours it'd take to do that...

My mistake though. If they have, they have...
Old 02-01-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Friend of mine purchased a 46" LCD HDTV this last week. He initially went to CC, even after I told him CC was more than likely increasing prices rather than decreasing them. He said he wanted to be sure and when he got to CC, he laughed his ass off and called me. Went to Best Buy and made his purchase.

Even in death, CC is pathetic.
Old 02-01-09, 10:41 AM

I've been to 2 CCs here in the Twin Cities and neither one of them re-stickered any of their Wii games, blu-rays, dvds or cds. Tags were the same as before they went into liquidation.
Old 02-01-09, 12:11 PM

I still have an $80 gift card i need to get rid of...

grrr...
Old 02-01-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wasn't questioning your honesty. I just know that a lot of people believe "19.99" is list price for a new release--and that they'd have to re-sticker every title in the entire store to get them all to list price. I suppose that's not a huge deal with incoming stock, but it seems bizarre to me that they'd waste payroll (however minimal pay is for liquidation employees) on the hours it'd take to do that...

My mistake though. If they have, they have...
It absolutely makes sense for CC to be selling off a MSRP basis at this point. DVDs are sold to the retailer on a consignment basis, meaning that they can return the stock for a refund.

So, what does this mean? CC will only discount DVDs to the point they can make more money from selling DVDs than returning them. The studios do not want the returns of course, but they can't cut CC a special deal.

If someone is out there waiting this sale out in the hopes they will see DVDs at 60-70 percent off MSRP ... they are just dreaming. Not going to happen.

Let's say (for sake of argument) CC get's down to the 50 percent off level.

So, if someone saw United 93 (widescreen) they could buy it for $7.49 plus 6 percent tax (in my state) means out-the-door for $7.94. And last I checked fuel and other car expenses aren't free either, but we'll leave that alone. Your personal time standing at the registers at CC might be worth something to you as well, if only for your sanity.

Or someone could wait for the next DD 25 % off sale and get United 93 for $7.40 delivered with no tax. Heck, there might even be another price reduction before that occurs.

Or you could just buy a used copy of United 93 now for $.01 plus 2.98 for shipping at Amazon Marketplace. Or a new one for $5.30 delivered.

Naturally if someone has gift cards to use up or needs other items, this thread makes sense. But for those just seeking deals on DVDs, it all seems ... rather pointless

Last edited by ctyankee; 02-01-09 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The retailers can return part of what they order from the studios/distributors, but not all of it.

I used to run an independent record store. We could return 10% of our orders for a full credit. Anything returned over 10% had a 30% deduction in the credit given (meaning a loss for the store of 30%). Needless to say, we didn't return anything over the 10% threshhold.

Now I can see a major chain like CC getting a much higer percentage, but not 100%. I've seen them hang on to the same pieces of inventory for years without returning them.

When some of the stores closed last month the DVD/CD discount in some of them got to 60%. That's far below the margin that they would normally sell them for.

I expect to see the DVD/CD/Blu Ray discount hit at least 50% before this thing is over. The big question is, "What will be left??"
Old 02-01-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I expect to see the DVD/CD/Blu Ray discount hit at least 50% before this thing is over. The big question is, "What will be left??"
The answer is: not much.
Old 02-01-09, 03:10 PM
Banned

What about ink for printers? Any chance of a good deal on that stuff yet? It's insane what they want for a few ounces of ink these days.
Old 02-01-09, 04:59 PM

Back in early January, I bought a TracFone Motorola W260g cell phone bundle package, which included a Motorola charger, case, and hands-free headset, on sale at CC for $12.99 (regular $19.99). I've thought about picking up another one for a spare or at least for an extra battery (whenever I need a replacement it seems that they cost 3-times the original price of the phone).

Right after the closing sale started, the price on this phone package was $17.99 after 10% off (a handwritten shelf tag showed the math), so I thought I'd wait until it came down further. Last night, I stopped in to CC last night to see if it had come down any further. There were signs next to the phones indicating that 'Wireless Accessories' were now 40% off, but there were no signs directly above the actual phones. When I took one up to the register to verify the price, the guy said $19.99. I told him that's the original price, which is the same price on the shelf sticker, and that there's no discount being taken off by the register. He said 'that's the price' and 'I don't know what the original price was'. I told him to check the shelf and he'd see the register was not taking any discount off. He said it didn't matter, whatever the register says 'is the price'. So, of course, I left without buying anything.

CD's and DVD's were supposedly 25% off, but I didn't take any to the register to verify if the prices were coming off the stickers on the boxes or some other fictional original price.

I too received the emailed ad noted above, which indicated 25% of on Plasma TVs. I took a quick look at a 42" Panasonic plasma that I had seen on sale in December for $799, less a 10% off coupon I had (I ended up buying it at Costco for $629). Anyway, it was now listed at $799, or 20% off $999 orig price. HH Gregg advertised the same TV last week for $699.

Buyers BEWARE!!!
Old 02-01-09, 07:53 PM

ive been to the CC in Woodland Hills Ca. and nothing looks re-stickered ... unless they went through the entire store pealed off all the old stickers and put new ones on .... but from what i noticed everything looked priced as usual ...
Old 02-02-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I visited my local CC Friday. Observations:

CD's & DVD's were 25% off. Nothing appeared to be restickered in those sections

Most everything else was 20% off. I believe that they did print some new shelf tags raising the price on at least some pc accessories. One Logitech mouse I am interested in was priced at $3 over list price.

It's amazing how stuff is flying out of the store at these prices. CC has a 30% off cd sale after Xmas. I came in on the last day of the sale & the cd selection was 2x what it is now at 20-25% off.
Old 02-02-09, 08:27 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe that people are buying anything at the current prices - people by and large are idiots. If I ran a store, I'd mark everything up, and then have a 50% off sale. Hmmm, maybe I should do that.
Old 02-02-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FM
I can't believe that people are buying anything at the current prices - people by and large are idiots. If I ran a store, I'd mark everything up, and then have a 50% off sale. Hmmm, maybe I should do that.

Some store have gotten in to trouble by doing that, having high list prices and things always on sale. Apparently the general public can't figure that out for themselves.
Old 02-02-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In all defense of the "average consumer" who is not net savy. I used to stand in line with a mob of other people
for the bi anual 25% off sale at Ken Cranes(now Dvd Planet) on Laser Discs. People went crazy to save that 25% off $100 criterions and 29.999-39.99 regular movies and the over $200 box sets like Star Wars or Imports. Now those were the days !
Old 02-02-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IamLegend
In all defense of the "average consumer" who is not net savy. I used to stand in line with a mob of other people
for the bi anual 25% off sale at Ken Cranes(now Dvd Planet) on Laser Discs. People went crazy to save that 25% off $100 criterions and 29.999-39.99 regular movies and the over $200 box sets like Star Wars or Imports. Now those were the days !
You're forgiven. In those the days, the internet itself wasn't nearly that saavy. In 1998 - 1999 when REEL.com and 800.com and numerous others started clamouring to try and lose money on media in an effort to get ad revenue. It wasn't DVD's themselves but they certainly came along at an opportune time when the internet was about to explode.
Old 02-03-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very Strange.

I went into local CC at Quail in Okla City Monday morning at opening. All of the Blu-rays that were there Saturday (hundreds) were gone. I thought maybe somebody had come in and bought them all. Asked worker and he said they boxed up ALL blu-rays to send back to distribution center. They were in the midst of packing up all video games over 19.99 for the same reason. I pulled one still on the shelf with tag of 49.99 and asked if i could buy it (wasn't going to, just curious) and he said no, nothing over 19.99 could be sold. So i don't know what is going on, but basically all of the blu-rays and video games of consequence have been removed....
Old 02-03-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
Very Strange.

I went into local CC at Quail in Okla City Monday morning at opening. All of the Blu-rays that were there Saturday (hundreds) were gone. I thought maybe somebody had come in and bought them all. Asked worker and he said they boxed up ALL blu-rays to send back to distribution center. They were in the midst of packing up all video games over 19.99 for the same reason. I pulled one still on the shelf with tag of 49.99 and asked if i could buy it (wasn't going to, just curious) and he said no, nothing over 19.99 could be sold. So i don't know what is going on, but basically all of the blu-rays and video games of consequence have been removed....
The doors of this hell hole can't close soon enough. The one here is still shaped like a plug, so it's not even one of the nicer wide open and bright stores. It's dark, circular, and overall pretty miserable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.