Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Old 01-22-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 328 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

I thought it was kinda funny watching and listening to the sheep talking with salespeople.
Old 01-23-09, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

I donít think the prices are really that great right now. The sales are just dropping the prices down to what other stores normally are. Iíve always thought Circuit Cityís prices were way too high.

If anyone does decide to purchase from them be prepared. Once you leave the store you canít go back for anything. I bought a product that I didnít know was defective at the time and they refused to exchange it or work with me at all and they were extremely rude. I know all sales are final but I didnít think that would apply to a defective product. I guess I would be a little pissed too if I was losing my job.
Old 01-23-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gdstudent View Post
I know all sales are final but I didnít think that would apply to a defective product.
What did you think it meant?
Old 01-23-09, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
What did you think it meant?
That all sales are final on actual working products. I know the store is going out of business but youíd think theyíd have some integrity and not screw people over like that. Itís not like I wanted a refund I just wanted to exchange it for an actual working product.
Old 01-23-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, that's why it's buyer beware. I thought it was general rule of thumb that all sales are final means all sales are final.

How do they know the product they sold you was defective?
Old 01-23-09, 02:31 AM

This is the first store closing I’ve ever been to and actually bought something so now I know.

It’s all good though I exchanged it at Wal-Mart anyways. lol
Old 01-23-09, 07:50 AM

If anyone does decide to purchase from them be prepared. Once you leave the store you canít go back for anything. I bought a product that I didnít know was defective at the time and they refused to exchange it or work with me at all and they were extremely rude. I know all sales are final but I didnít think that would apply to a defective product. I guess I would be a little pissed too if I was losing my job.
I think the liquidators bring in their own drones, who know their job ends when the liquidation ends, so I'm sure they can cuss you all they want and probably face no trouble from their "management." They also appear to be a even lesser paid force as they appear to have no qualms about telling a customer some pretty unfriendly things (as some stories in these threads have recounted).

I know when my local CC liquidated last year that I did not recognize a face behind the counter.

"All sales final" pretty much means that. That's what kept me from buying some projectors that they had lying around. Well, that and they were missing parts (like power cords) and nobody was around to tell me what they wanted for them.
Old 01-23-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

That all sales are final on actual working products. I know the store is going out of business but youíd think theyíd have some integrity and not screw people over like that. Itís not like I wanted a refund I just wanted to exchange it for an actual working product.
If you paid by credit card, just file a complaint with them and then you'll get your money back.
Old 01-23-09, 08:24 AM

It’s all good though I exchanged it at Wal-Mart anyways. lol
With or without the receipt? I got a full frame version of a movie online but paying to send it back (for a widescreen) and the waiting seems like too much of a hassle. Can walmart exchange it, no questions asked?

Sorry for being off topic.

Back ontopic, when can we expect 70, 80, 90% discounts? Do they go that high in liquidation sales?
Old 01-23-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a newspaper story when the local Lechemere went under. Someone bought some software, got it home and the box was empty. Someone had shrinkwrapped an empty box and then returned it. The verdict?: No returns, all sales final.

That was also the store that had a record week at 10% off when stuff was usually 25% off.

Yesterday there was an article on Yahoo about closeout sales. CC is liquidating through the end of March, meaning the serious discounts won't be showing up until late February at the earliest.
Old 01-23-09, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
There was a newspaper story when the local Lechemere went under. Someone bought some software, got it home and the box was empty. Someone had shrinkwrapped an empty box and then returned it. The verdict?: No returns, all sales final.

Wow, so I am not the only one to fall victim to this. Years ago I bought a Toy Story gift set for my son from Costco. I will never forget how his face fell when he opened up the DVD and it was empty inside. Luckily, the manager believed me when I brought it back and refunded my money.
Old 01-23-09, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by OldWhore'sDiet View Post
With or without the receipt? I got a full frame version of a movie online but paying to send it back (for a widescreen) and the waiting seems like too much of a hassle. Can walmart exchange it, no questions asked?

Sorry for being off topic.

Back ontopic, when can we expect 70, 80, 90% discounts? Do they go that high in liquidation sales?
Yes, one of the circuit citys in my home town closed right after christmas. They were liquidating for two months and reached a 70-80% off the last week and 90% off the last day. I found a bunch of great titles on the last 70% off day. The final day was pretty sparse with about a dozen dvds and fifty or so cds left. The final days are great for finding smaller non blockbuster films. My CC had like 8 copies of In Bruges and Sunshine on the second to last day.
Old 01-23-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone had any luck going in and haggling with CC on some of their prices? I'm curious to know how much leeway the sales staff have at this point and how eager they are to move stock quickly.
Old 01-23-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82 View Post
Anyone had any luck going in and haggling with CC on some of their prices? I'm curious to know how much leeway the sales staff have at this point and how eager they are to move stock quickly.
You'll have a better go of it with open box stuff.
Old 01-23-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reubs82 View Post

The liquidation company's job is not to move stuff quicly but to get as much money as possible for the stuff they do sell. Knowing that they plan to take this until the end of March, and that the place is full of people paying more than they would have a couple weeks ago before the announcement, I'm willing to bet the answer is not much.
Old 01-23-09, 02:25 PM

The sales staff has no ability to manipulate prices. I used to work at CC and stopped in the other day--many of the prices are higher today than they were the day before they went out of business, since they're only 10% off MSRP.
Old 01-23-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 328 Posts

I would think that's why you fill out the little manufacturer warranty card, but that's just me.
Old 01-23-09, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldWhore'sDiet View Post
Without, when you are just exchanging it they really donít care that much. They didnít even ask me if I had a receipt. Just say you misplaced it, they donít really care unless you want a refund.

Theyíll scan the item at the door and then put a sticker on it for you then you just go to customer service. It would probably be even easier if you went and got the DVD you want to exchange it with before going to customer service.
Old 01-23-09, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I would think that's why you fill out the little manufacturer warranty card, but that's just me.
Sure, a warranty repair or replacement is an option but it can be a major hassle. Depending on the product and the manufacturer you could end up waiting weeks for a replacement and you might have to pay for shipping.
Old 01-24-09, 09:52 AM

I am going to CC today to check if they have any deals this week. I'll stop by every weekend till they close. Hopefully will get some good deals.
Old 01-24-09, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by melih69 View Post
I am going to CC today to check if they have any deals this week. I'll stop by every weekend till they close. Hopefully will get some good deals.
They had 20% off FULL RETAIL for DVDs at the store I stopped by today. There were more people then I've ever seen in CC. Lots of people buying, but the prices were not good IMO. Most of the stuff was cheaper at Amazon. I think people don't comparison shop. They see the going out of business sign and think everything is a bargain.
Old 01-25-09, 01:46 AM

They have 30% off on the XBox Live 4000 points. I was able to get it for 34.99 on Friday.

Originally Posted by theMadness View Post
They had 20% off FULL RETAIL for DVDs at the store I stopped by today. There were more people then I've ever seen in CC. Lots of people buying, but the prices were not good IMO. Most of the stuff was cheaper at Amazon. I think people don't comparison shop. They see the going out of business sign and think everything is a bargain.
Old 01-25-09, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by theMadness View Post
Isn't it amazing how ill-informed some shoppers are? I went there on Friday and saw the same thing...people were buying simply because the sign read 20% to 30% off. I checked the prices and amazon.com prices are better. I did purchase Close Encounters blu-ray for $30, which was a little cheaper than amazon at $32.99 (not including shipping) and much better than Best Buy $44.99.
Old 01-25-09, 11:29 AM

But for DVDs and CDs are they taking the % off from the stickered price or the
MSRP? As CC's sticker is less than Best Buy's, like 20% off vs 10%. I saw several that retail for $50 stickered at $45 at BB and $40 at CC.
Old 01-25-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by forumsmy View Post
But for DVDs and CDs are they taking the % off from the stickered price or the
MSRP? As CC's sticker is less than Best Buy's, like 20% off vs 10%. I saw several that retail for $50 stickered at $45 at BB and $40 at CC.
At the only location I went to, I only looked at cds, and it was off of the normal CC sticker price. They didn't mark them up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.